Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
As a teenager, I lived with a well-off Japanese family for about a year. The dad ran a legitimate well known business, but reflecting on it later I realized that he was definitely involved in the Yakuza. He would take me to different bars all the time (I was 17~18), and everyone always seemed to know him and they all wanted to buy me drinks etc. On more than a few occasions, there were 50-60 year old drunk red-faced dudes who would take their shirts off (yeah yeah) and show me their insane tattoos. There were always younger guys hanging around in tracksuits, lighting cigarettes and pouring beer for the older guys, but my young naive brain didn't really make the connection until later on. I thought they were just a bunch of cool drunk guys blowing off steam after a hard day at the office lol.

The nephew of this guy was slightly mentally challenged, it was obvious to anyone from the second he started to talk (and giggle a lot). He loved taking me to hostess bars full of dubious looking customers and getting us completely drunk. Whenever he had more than his fill, someone would always seem to pop up out of nowhere and drive us home in a black Mercedes or Lexus. Sometimes we'd stop for ramen along the way at like 3am, and the driver would just chill while we ate.

Basically what I'm saying is that racketeering and exploitation is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

There's a Chinese place in Richmond that offers "extra egg" on the menu even though not a single dish aside from the egg drop soup contains any eggs to begin with. The delivery dudes are all these super buff Chinese dudes driving shiny luxury cars and they're always super polite and very soft spoken. There's no way there isn't something shady going on there. Food's good though.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I think Sabu beat up a yakuza dude on camera once

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Can't wait to publicly post about any past exposure I may have had to organized crime at any level itt

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
OP's wearing a wire!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

Can't wait to publicly post about any past exposure I may have had to organized crime at any level itt

Schedueling a time to masturbate is technically a crime, so goons are all mafiosos. Cosa Nostra

Edit: cumorra

cnut
May 3, 2016

WatermelonGun posted:

Schedueling a time to masturbate is technically a crime

Where?! :ohdear:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

cnut posted:

Gaia

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

cnut posted:

you guys can all come at my place but its a bit of a mess right now haha dont say i didnt warn ya and make sure to take your shoes off

cnut
May 3, 2016

:cripes:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Five Families by Selwyn Raab is really loving good. The first Italian-American NYC police chief got popped in Sicily after the mayor blabbed to the press that the police chief was going over there in advance

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
my great grandfather was involved with our thing, and it's not cool or glamorous, it's p gross and degenerate lifestyle AMA about how lovely of a dude he was.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

How lovely of a dude was he?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Skeleton Ape posted:

How lovely of a dude was he?

murdered his first wife because he was bored with her. couldn't prove it so he didn't go to prison. then he murdered a "G-man", and another person. he went to prison for a long time. they called it "college". he had money but my family was on the verge of bankruptcy at all times. his mafiaso friends were supposed to take care of everything, but instead wanted sexual favors from my women relatives.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
That's his own fault, really, for assuming what they meant by "take care of."

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
he didn't assume , but if you watch the sopranos or godfather they make it seem like you have an entire organization behind you that will leave big bags of money with your family while you're in prison

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

then he murdered a "G-man", and another person.

Oh so that's what happened to half life 3

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Everyones little stories remind me of this Ask/Tell from years ago (maybe like in 2011?) about some dude who just got out of jail and was part of a street gang. From what I remember he didnt have ties anymore. But it was a really cool thread.

I watched this again and I think it's worth your guys' time. Follows some Mexican not-FBI dude and a narco band. Lots of crazy tonal shifts. Made my roommate cry but it wasn't necessary sad, just literally cringe-worthy from time to time because there's a cut to dead kids or some slab of beef jerky that was once a guy before he got incinerated in his drivers seat. Also the police chief being interviewed had to quit while they were making the movie because the cartel said they'd murder his family if he kept working.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I mean, I guess it was nice of them to give him a choice, at least

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
You always got a choice tony

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Oh so that's what happened to half life 3

it was such a long time ago they just called them by the generic g man name

i guess it was like the equivalent of alcohol firearms and tobacco

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Take any opportunity I get to plug the best mafia documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCUl-h21B1c

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Had a friend in high school whose dad seemed to do some low level sort of money laundering for the mob. I saw the clues over the years but didn't put them together until much later.

Really cool family. Always welcome at their house. Upper-middle class, not super rich, but well to do. The house and yard were pristine, like really nice, suburban neighborhood.

Dad was "retired" when I was a teen, he was maybe 50. His income was from "managing real estate" and investing in the stock market. He always advised us to invest in real estate as soon as we could afford to.
This was pre-internet, and he would eat lunch every day with a TV tray in front of the television watching stock market tickers and them making buys/sells in the afternoon. Seemed a bit different than a 9-5 career, but hey, they seemed to do well.

My friend's sister was a couple years older, and on a couple occasions when people pissed her off she was known to claim "my dad knows mafia, they will gently caress you up if you don't leave me alone". This mostly garnered responses of "pffft, whatever".

I didn't think much of it mostly, but then one weekend hanging out at his house, his dad said he was going to check on his properties, and his son and I were welcome to come along. My friend encouraged me to come, and mentioned I'd make a couple bucks off it.

The properties were apartment complexes in San Jose CA. Not slums, but not far from it. We were nice white kids, nice white man, and we drove in his nice luxury car to a lovely part of town that was ok during the day, but considered dangerous at night.

We went to two properties, about 20 - 50 apartments each. The on-site managers, dirty looking stereotype greaseballs, greeted us immediately as we parked at each place. There was complete deference to my friend's dad. There was chit chat about how many units were rented, and dad made some comment about "you never want to rent them all!" with a wink to me when they were done, which made no sense to me at the time. We then went to the laundry rooms and collected the quarters from all the washers/dryers. Probably $500-600 in quarters at each location. I made my $5 in quarters by helping to carry the bank bags. It was kinda surreal and hard to forget.

I think ultimately he was a savvy accountant. The deal with the apartment complexes was to claim higher occupancy to account for extra cash income alongside the legit income. Somehow he was taking that laundered cash and then investing it in legit stocks and somehow getting this back to the source of the cash. The washing machine quarters and even "the repairs" were overstated too. Claiming more actual income and expense costs than were actually legit.

Years later while drinking one night, my friend admitted to me that his dad did help friends with dubious sources of income make good investments, and the easiest way to do that was just hedging just a bit, mixing legitimate sources of income with the not-so-legit to fly under the radar. I don't think it was a huge operation, but one of many that managed to launder several hundred thousand, to maybe a million dollars a year or so, and then invest in the stock market for whoever was behind it.

Maybe not mob stuff, but definitely shady.
Where I stereotype even more is in that they were italian, west coast with no accents, but still heritage-proud. I later discovered my friend to be a huge racist. I can honestly say I didn't see it ever as teens, but in our 20's: "Colored people are sub-standard" and insulting an immigrant taxi driver so bad that I asked the guy to pull over, kick us out, and I apologized and tipped him $50 just to avoid the shame. It was super cringe worthy uncomfortable. The rudeness and disrespect caught me way off guard.

It's pretty interesting in hindsight, in that it just seemed "oh, okay" as a kid, but as an adult the clues just added up to beyond normal.

And no, I didn't keep in touch with that friend after the taxi cab night. Oh, PS I guess, I was one of his groomsmen, and the family at the wedding seemed more "family" than family.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

he didn't assume , but if you watch the sopranos or godfather they make it seem like you have an entire organization behind you that will leave big bags of money with your family while you're in prison

this is absolutely a thing though, always was and still is, your granpa just rolled with wankers

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

hackbunny posted:

this is absolutely a thing though, always was and still is, your granpa just rolled with wankers

he was a vile dude. for all we know, he didn't care if they got any help at all.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Crime is like reading books. It's all good until you join a club, then it's suddenly pathetic. Like who the gently caress wants to be told by other people what what crime to do next and afterwards have a long boring conversation about what they liked about the crime.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Icochet posted:

Crime is like reading books. It's all good until you join a club, then it's suddenly pathetic. Like who the gently caress wants to be told by other people what what crime to do next and afterwards have a long boring conversation about what they liked about the crime.

running an illegal gambling parlor is all fun and games until somebody gets shot.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I got Yakuza 0 and had fun with it until I lost 3-4 hours of progress because Japanese game devs didn't include an autosave and I haven't fired it up since.

Listen assholes, put a loving autosave in your poo poo it is 2018 ffs

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Moridin920 posted:

I got Yakuza 0 and had fun with it until I lost 3-4 hours of progress because Japanese game devs didn't include an autosave and I haven't fired it up since.

Listen assholes, put a loving autosave in your poo poo it is 2018 ffs
lmao, thats the worst, i loaded an older game and forgot it was from the early 2000s and the same thing happened, most have the courtesy to save after each level load though, even back in the day

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Theres some movie with that adrian brody guy where he joins the yakuza as a white guy. If you want to do the same just watch that and also the last samurai to learn their culture and move to japan and you'll be cutting off your fingers in no time.

Marlboro for Cats
Apr 14, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
What's everyone's favorite crimes to commit? When's the last time you committed them and how cool was your crime and maybe what evidence proves you did it?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dan Quinn and his vatos gang are the most something something etc

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Marlboro for Cats posted:

What's everyone's favorite crimes to commit? When's the last time you committed them and how cool was your crime and maybe what evidence proves you did it?

running bulls...through the vatican

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Murder, candle stick, dining room, wearing a French maid costume. It's a rush, for sure.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Traveling to a country where butt stuff and drugs are illegal and removing a condom filled with heroin from my butt and enjoying it.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

lol, keistering is hilarious

"the whole bag? all up in there? ...fine. I'll do it, but afterwards I'm licking the inside of the bag like a kid eating a batter spoon."

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

i had some blackmail photos but i lost them and this isn’t the disorganized crime thread

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I go to my local chinese food place about 2-3 times a week, I'm pretty good friends with the owner. Yesterday I went in for lunch and the owner was acting really weird and standoffish while usually we're on pretty good terms. I asked him what was wrong and eventually he told me to "leave and never come back". I pushed him a little more while I was waiting for my order because he seemed nervous or guilty and he told me that the Chinese mafia in the area have been putting the squeeze or w/e on local businesses and to intimidate them they left a cake outside the shop overnight. Inside the cake was a scroll with a list of all the store's most frequent customers' full names and addresses, and I was near the top of the list.

I am seriously freaking the gently caress out right now and I have no idea what to even do or what my recourse is. I'm a non-violent person and I've never owned any guns but I'm really close to picking up a rifle at Wal-Mart and taking vacation time from work to lay low for a few weeks. Should I go to the police? What could they even do? I'm loving terrified.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I go to my local chinese food place about 2-3 times a week, I'm pretty good friends with the owner. Yesterday I went in for lunch and the owner was acting really weird and standoffish while usually we're on pretty good terms. I asked him what was wrong and eventually he told me to "leave and never come back". I pushed him a little more while I was waiting for my order because he seemed nervous or guilty and he told me that the Chinese mafia in the area have been putting the squeeze or w/e on local businesses and to intimidate them they left a cake outside the shop overnight. Inside the cake was a scroll with a list of all the store's most frequent customers' full names and addresses, and I was near the top of the list.

I am seriously freaking the gently caress out right now and I have no idea what to even do or what my recourse is. I'm a non-violent person and I've never owned any guns but I'm really close to picking up a rifle at Wal-Mart and taking vacation time from work to lay low for a few weeks. Should I go to the police? What could they even do? I'm loving terrified.

This never happened but why would they kill off the restaurant's best customers if their goal is to squeeze mroe money out of them? Seems counterproductive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
A friend of mine. A friend of ours. A friend of a fried. A guy I met once.

• Locked thread