Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Having never played any survival games before, what is the combat like? Skill based? Skillshots? Fps-like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Ort posted:

Having never played any survival games before, what is the combat like? Skill based? Skillshots? Fps-like?

It's like Darkfall/TERA over the shoulder 3rd person combat. There is no first person view as far as I'm aware. It's all skill based. You miss your swing/arrow shot, you don't deal damage. This usually spells death for about 90% of survival MMOs right there if they have lovely netcode (Darkfall/LiF:MMO) but NW has amazingly great code for a crysis engine and that is already a huge thing in Amazon's favor. Items/Stats can be tweaked in time.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
That sounds cool. Asherons Call is probably my favorite game of all time and had some similarities to that, I get tired of so many skill based rpgs. Do you level up and stuff or is it all about item gathering?

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

You level in two ways. Stats (Str/Dex etc) and skills. By the time you hit cap you can only Max out two skill lines fully. That is things like mining, cooking, blacksmith, etc.

The great thing is that there are multiple tiers within a skill level and once you hit that skill level. You own it fully. No need to "craft 1 million penises to level up the skill" bullshit. You can either craft the item or you can't. As you level up in tiers you gain the ability to craft iron then steel then starmetal etc

There are normal iron ores then rarer and rarer iron ores that allow you to make a better iron sword. So right now a normal iron sword is base speed and damage but if you make an iron sword out of purple iron instead of white iron, it boosts it's stats. Dunno if that makes sense.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

SabinBlitz posted:

New World isn't coming out for a few years I'll bet but drat if I'm not having a blast for a game still in Alpha. gently caress you Star Citizen. Land Citizen is much better.

A few years? Lol no game takes that long these days once they start testing with the public. It'll be out before the end of 2019.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

SabinBlitz posted:

You level in two ways. Stats (Str/Dex etc) and skills. By the time you hit cap you can only Max out two skill lines fully. That is things like mining, cooking, blacksmith, etc.

The great thing is that there are multiple tiers within a skill level and once you hit that skill level. You own it fully. No need to "craft 1 million penises to level up the skill" bullshit. You can either craft the item or you can't. As you level up in tiers you gain the ability to craft iron then steel then starmetal etc

There are normal iron ores then rarer and rarer iron ores that allow you to make a better iron sword. So right now a normal iron sword is base speed and damage but if you make an iron sword out of purple iron instead of white iron, it boosts it's stats. Dunno if that makes sense.

What is the level cap?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How do I chill with Goons in this game? Where is our town?

I always feel sort of aimless in games like this, my brain isn't strong enough to work without a clearly defined goal. Where should I go, and what should I do, friends?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

How do I chill with Goons in this game? Where is our town?

I always feel sort of aimless in games like this, my brain isn't strong enough to work without a clearly defined goal. Where should I go, and what should I do, friends?

join the discord, friend

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There's a Discord?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if should probably make my worthless piece of poo poo OP slightly useful

https://discord.gg/DtdrwkN

eonwe fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 11, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks lad.

Orv
May 4, 2011

arbybaconator posted:

What is the level cap?

80 currently. 1-~30 is pretty quick, slows down pretty hard after that.

Walloped
May 27, 2004

SabinBlitz posted:

Jess. Why aren't you chilling with us? Unless you're already with a tight group of friends that's cool, which Company are you with?

I jumped in with Black Suns when I started and have got to know them pretty well. If I had known a bunch of you had gotten alpha invites I would have waited.

Currently, the Raged + Black Suns alliance has worked out really well, if you all just want to take this time to learn about the game instead of trying to get a goon company up and running I'd be happy to try and get anyone that wants to join up with Black Suns in.

Walloped fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 11, 2018

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is the game going for straight realism or is there magic n trolls

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Thanks for the offer Jess but the majority wants to stick it out.

Llama. No. This is not a 100% realistic representation of the 17th century. There are undead and mutated wolves and there is magic. Currently so far only healing magic.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

So were more invites sent out today? Still no luck for me

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How do I get a company invite? The guy in Discord is stonewalling me.

EDIT: lol I'm a fuckin idiot and was posting in the wrong Discord.

fadam fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 11, 2018

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

fadam posted:

How do I get a company invite? The guy in Discord is stonewalling me.

EDIT: lol I'm a fuckin idiot and was posting in the wrong Discord.

Yeah, the discord posted above is the wrong one. The discord from the OP is correct

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bless. I ran all the way to the Goon house and logged off. I can't wait to make some leather clothes and hunt Deer tomorrow.

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.
I heard this is a good bad game. Wonder who else will wander into the goonion and join us.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
still waiting on a drat alpha invite :colbert:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Phew. A LOT has happened.

It's super late so I'll make a short version of it.

We've been discussing how to take a claim with a mine so we can have a protected space. Goonstown was okay but it would randomly get marauders - at one point someone blew up our walls and our storage but did not take the claim. Perhaps they ran out of powdered kegs. Yes, living life on the edge was a dangerous game and it was clear we needed to upgrade our digs.

We've been focusing on one spot to take for a day or so - smaller guild was holding it and seemingly doing nothing with the area. As I was discussing a diabolical plan to liberate that area when an opportunity was presented to us that we could not pass up. A whisper on the wind calling out to us.

The 4 of us on at the time - werkwerk, Orv, Thundercat and myself - raced south following the directions of this whisperer to a claim owned by a smaller/medium sized Company about to lose it's protection on a claim and that no one was around to re-protect the area. To our surprise - the front gate was already open for us - along with the gate protecting the sacred claim point and the flag that is placed on top to prevent captures. The protection was removed by some unknown saboteur just before our arrival as well. We greedily accepted this gift from God and claimed the land and all it's riches for our own. Groonsville is what we choose to call the location.

And not a moment too soon - about a half hour after we claimed Goonsville that Goonstown came under attack from a stronger rival company to our south known as Ghost Company. Due to our split forces and diversion - Goonstown was lost. We had kept 90% of our resources off site luckily in NPC towns. We were not expecting to hold on to Goonstown as long as we did but it served us well for the time we had it.

We still had yet another problem - we needed Azure to protect the claim we had just taken and the mine was empty. No doubt the same saboteur that let us in also made off with the resource. Luckily Orv knew some people in Cloak and Dagger whom agreed to loan us some Azure till we got on our feet.

Now with a secured home we began our production in earnest. A call went out on Discord for all goons on deck to assist. Additional fortifications were made - plans drawn up and implemented. Crafting stations going full force. The first thing we did was triple the security around our mine. The protection only extends out around our claim point and the mine was WELL outside that area, susceptible to attack. In order for us to be able to enable another round of protection in 24 hours - our mine needs to operate for at least 22 out of those 24 hours to order to secure enough Azure. We built walls and more walls, this will force anyone attacking to bring a large quantity of powdered kegs.

The next phase is to increase weapons and armor output and begin preparations to take more land/claims around us. The only thing we're lacking is more bodies but that will come with time as more Goons get into the Alpha.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
how long till you get mad and throw everything into the ocean again

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Got an invite to the alpha, is there a goon guild that I can join up with? That would probably be the only way I mess around with this.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

:allears:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

RCarr posted:

Got an invite to the alpha, is there a goon guild that I can join up with? That would probably be the only way I mess around with this.

Join the discord and we'll get you sorted. =)

Considering I don't want to be guild leader but I got voted to be guild leader it's very likely it'll happen soon.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

the game is fun, be nice and keep eve level shittiness in the eve quarantine thread

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

haven't got an alpha invite, obviously amazon doesn't care about their prime customers

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

BadLlama posted:

haven't got an alpha invite, obviously amazon doesn't care about their prime customers

:same:

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.
Apparently a bunch of invites went out a few hours ago. If you got one and have managed to install it, hop on the discord and yell for an invite. Fun poo poo is going to happen in 30 minutes or so.

That was fast. The server blew up from everyone logging in and going to one area for the event. The event is apparently over early. Welp.

Werkwerk fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 13, 2018

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
How intensive is it on your PC? Can a poo poo 5-6 year old PC play it on low do you think?

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

The DPRK posted:

How intensive is it on your PC? Can a poo poo 5-6 year old PC play it on low do you think?

Yes. I'm a poo poo old PC and I'm at 40-50 FPS.

Gtx 660. 8gb ddr3 ram. I7-2500. On an hhd no less. 1600x900 window low graphics

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Werkwerk posted:

Apparently a bunch of invites went out a few hours ago. If you got one and have managed to install it, hop on the discord and yell for an invite. Fun poo poo is going to happen in 30 minutes or so.

That was fast. The server blew up from everyone logging in and going to one area for the event. The event is apparently over early. Welp.

Keep getting emails from Amazon to review purchases, keeps getting my hopes up and letting me down.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
im glad sabin threw a bunch of loot in the river, its funny to me

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
I already said it was the ocean!!

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

No one harassed us and we were able to obtain the full amount of Azure and then some to keep the place protected. All and all a super quiet day despite the Dev Event bringing more people than normal online.

M2tt re-organized some things to make it more tidy and Werk chopped down a bunch of trees like the manly man he is. Thunder Lyria, Orv and Myself helped out when possible doing odd jobs and farming coin. Goonsville is pretty much as protected as it's going to get. Now is the time to amass weapons/armor and get to experience some more PvP.

Looking forward to the coming week. =)

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

BadLlama posted:

So sad. Please, Mr. B more keys please

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Huge Success for Goonswarm today

Started the morning at 8am PST - emptied the mine - call goes out that Cloak and Dagger need some help dealing with enemy yuppies called Lanceston Company... They are angry that we took their claim from them and formed Goonsville. They said as much in voice chat.

Myself and Lawinator answer the call. Lawinator gets there first and goes HAM and downs a guy. Rest of C&D and Torchbearers back him up. I literally get to the battle just to tell everybody good job defending vs the invaders hah.

I get back to Goonsville around 9am PST - Our Mine is destroyed. Lanceston or someone else must have destroyed it while we were defending elsewhere. No worries I rebuilt it. Before we could replace walls - NiSa rolls in with 3/4 guys. And they would do that about every 5-10min. It was only a few of us Goons online and we had a hard time rebuilding the wall with them harassing but they never did keg the mine while we were dead and the walls were still down so we think they had no more resources to keg.

Matt gets online - saves the day with super strong building skills. I put out the call for all Goons to get on around 8pm PST for some revenge.

7 goons roll out with 19 powdered kegs - can't bring enough of those - to ensure destruction. Turns out NiSa is using an exploit to prevent people from placing kegs down. It has been reported and devs have asked not to use this exploit but yet they still are. In fact NiSa and LoD have been exploiting a metric gently caress ton but hey it's alpha so meh.

Based on our totally poor calculations - NiSa most likely thinks they are safe from any danger. They don't even have any walls around their claim point. Why should they? They're protected as long as they can mine Azure safely as long as the mine doesn't go down. And it can't go down because nobody can place kegs. Right?

What do do? Well - remember how I said siege hammers are super lovely. Well they still are. But not when 7 Goons are whacking away at something. Took us about a half hour to down their mine - we listened to shanties as we did it over Discord. Good times.

We guess that NiSa won't realize this till tomorrow morning or hell if we're lucky - when it's time to harvest just the right amount of Azure just before their protection goes down. We're hoping they don't have any excess of the stuff banked away.

If their protection goes down tomorrow night - we may have Goonstopia.

Anyways. Game is bad don't come play with us.

UPDATE

And I thought enough had happened! So much for a slow night!

NiSa came back and blew up our mine late last night/early morning while I was helping a brand new goon into the world. It was a bit of a scramble but we got the mine back up and running again but everytime that mine gets blown - that sets us back. They also rebuilt their own mine.... Never fear though. Tomorrow morning we're going to bring the hammer down again on NiSa.

With 4 brand new goons joining us in the Alpha we're looking to start having more and more weight to throw around. Which will allow us to start taking more claims. But it's still a bad game so definitely do not try to :getin:

We also had a bit of fun about 4 of us went out looking for a fight and happened to randomly come across some low level hunting elk. The in game voice over IP is actually very decent - so we stopped and told him we were with Fish and Wildlife and asked to see his hunting permits. Poor guy didn't have a mic - so he kept dropping random stuff for us to inspect. He then dropped like 70 raw meat and we told him that we would have to place him under arrest for poaching. Guy started taking off as fast as he could. We just took pot shots at him. Good laughs were had on our end.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 14, 2018

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Had a good hour and a half battle vs NiSa between 10am PST and 11:30am PST - about 6/7 naked goons with wooden swords vs 4 NiSa exploiters who were trying to blow our mine. They got to the VERY last wall before they either ran out of kegs or because we finally overwhelmed them. We ended up with some powdered kegs from one of their guys so that helped.

They were telling us we were bad and all that because we wouldn't exploit. Uh.. So wait we finally ended up killing you guys without exploits and we're the baddies? =( We rebuilt all the walls and made off with some of their poo poo. Sure we lost a bunch of the little fights but we won that war and came out ahead. Easy peasy.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
NISA sounds familiar, like from LIF. I might play this whenever it's out of closed alpha or whatever. How many players per server? How's the online even structured?