Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

P-Mack posted:

The Shiva fight in FFXIV, I think it's the first fight with the dramatic buttrock phase transition.
Nope, Titan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh man the FFXIV fight with the lamia giantess that interrupts the fight with a forced dance sequence was probably the best MMO boss ever.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I really like the first time you enter the New Vegas strip. The whole game people are talking it up as this holy site of Old World refinement and fun. When you first enter the opening horns of Ain't that a Kick in the Head blare and you see all the neon lights and spinning signs and then as the music fades into an ambient drone you notice a person next to you throwing up on a wall, you're fenced in by debris and rubble and then a guy calling himself Mister Holdout comes up to you and tries to sell you cheap switchblades. In 30 seconds you see how seedy and sad the New Vegas strip really is

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

I really like the first time you enter the New Vegas strip. The whole game people are talking it up as this holy site of Old World refinement and fun. When you first enter the opening horns of Ain't that a Kick in the Head blare and you see all the neon lights and spinning signs and then as the music fades into an ambient drone you notice a person next to you throwing up on a wall, you're fenced in by debris and rubble and then a guy calling himself Mister Holdout comes up to you and tries to sell you cheap switchblades. In 30 seconds you see how seedy and sad the New Vegas strip really is

This was cool. It's like the reverse of Midgar, where you discover a world of natural beauty after 10 hours in the urban nightmare

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

madey posted:

When you beat the elite four in pokemon silver then find out you can go on the entire red/blue region.

I was playing an import copy of silver and discovered this by complete accident. I was in disbelief.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Finding Ciri

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah. And a little later, during the attack on Caer Morhen, when Vesemir sacrifices himself for her.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

madey posted:

When you beat the elite four in pokemon silver then find out you can go on the entire red/blue region.

Beating Baramos in Dragon Quest 3 only to find out that there's the entire map.from the first game and an entirely new villain

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
When everyone in Earthbound starts praying to defeat Giygas

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

When everyone in Earthbound starts praying to defeat Giygas

This gets me every time I replay

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
When, upon beating the game, you do a victory lap across all the worlds you traversed to get there as an epic endgame score plays. Bonus points if there's a roll call that names every NPC/enemy you met along the way.

A lot of games probably do this but the NES Mega Man games and certainly Super Mario World stick out to me as prime examples.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Kings Quest, holding the mirror up to Satan.

Homeworld, when the invaders torch your planet as you load cryotrays and flee the system.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Basically all of Baldur’s Gate II, lol.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

American McGay posted:

When, upon beating the game, you do a victory lap across all the worlds you traversed to get there as an epic endgame score plays. Bonus points if there's a roll call that names every NPC/enemy you met along the way.

A lot of games probably do this but the NES Mega Man games and certainly Super Mario World stick out to me as prime examples.

I think all the Dragon Quest games let you do this. Earthbound is great too there's a ton of new dialogue

edit: maybe a little different than your example though, it's just letting you roam free after you beat the last boss and talk to NPCs and see how everyone's lives turned out

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The moment you first step out of the crashed escape pod on Halo and you take it in for a second before Cortana yells at you to get moving to avoid the Covenant coming in to secure the wreckage.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Returning your copy of superman 64 to the rental store the day after renting it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
trapping elijah in the vault

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

shove me like you do posted:

Returning your copy of superman 64 to the rental store the day after renting it.

yes!!!! hahaha yes dude!!!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

the bridge jump in Shadow of the Colossus

going in the house in the village in Resident Evil 4 and you hear the chainsaw for the first time.

The last ending of NieR, watching all your save data get erased – including your fishing records! :yokotaro:

basically whenever you throw off your shirt in Yakuza.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Pulling the master sword in wind waker

When you first enter a void world in Mario sunshine

The “survive” mission at the end of halo reach

The end of the couples mask quest in Majoras mask

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

the bridge jump in Shadow of the Colossus

going in the house in the village in Resident Evil 4 and you hear the chainsaw for the first time.

The last ending of NieR, watching all your save data get erased – including your fishing records! :yokotaro:

basically whenever you throw off your shirt in Yakuza.

i was going to say the first time you die to the chainsaw in re4

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the chainsaw doesnt seem so scary until that moment imo

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some of these are suspiciously like Goomba Stomps. Mods?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
your first jump off the great plateau in breath of the wild

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Arriving at the surface for the first one in Bioshock Infinite

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
getting the super shotgun for the first time in doom

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

going to the nether for the first time

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Revealing the true nature of Eden in La Mulana

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When the nuke goes off at the beginning of SMT1, or when you "beat" the first dungeon of Megami Tensei 2 and you log off the computer and you're in a post-apocalyptic bunker just trying to pass time and the real game starts.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
When the world becomes a sphere in SMT3

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

bloodborne's very sudden shift to cosmic horror

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
When you find out in the original Resident Evil that you are the Master of Unlocking.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the conclusion of the tarrytown quest in BOTW

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

the conclusion of the tarrytown quest in BOTW

an all time great sidequest. the changing music in the town as it grows is so good.

the introduction to the game world at the start is really stunning. the swelling score culminating in a simple piano theme as you look over the cliff at the vast expanse of hyrule for the first time is a really fitting intro.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

my morning jackass posted:

the introduction to the game world at the start is really stunning. the swelling score culminating in a simple piano theme as you look over the cliff at the vast expanse of hyrule for the first time is a really fitting intro.

https://twitter.com/elfbot/status/1032618393650847744

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

getting the parasail and realizing the huge world is truly open and you're not gonna catch AIDS going to certain areas or run into invisible walls is an amazing moment, hell the king even tells you you can run straight to ganon but you probably wouldn't do so well

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Remembered another one. My brother is 10 years older and he and one of his friends were playing Street Fighter 2 and were trying to see endings for the first time and I would have been like 6, I think, watching them play. So they beat the game with Ryu and it does his ending where he walks away from the award-ceremony and I ask why he is walking away and I get told to leave and that I can't understand the importance of it and appreciate it properly, which made me sad, but in hindsight they were right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

extremebuff posted:

bloodborne's very sudden shift to cosmic horror

I gasped audibly when this happened.

• Locked thread