Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

modern gnocchi is about as far from Arabic/Persian/etc as possible today.

I'm very familiar with like the upper Middle East food world (don't know much about North Africa and Arabia), and yeah I can't think of anything like gnocchi at all up in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

My brother's recently been to Italy and said it's pretty hosed up, and he understands why they voted fascists into power.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

mike12345 posted:

My brother's recently been to Italy and said it's pretty hosed up, and he understands why they voted fascists into power.

Because they wanted to gently caress it up even more? Is your brother a moron?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Grape posted:

Because they wanted to gently caress it up even more? Is your brother a moron?

no, because they have no hope and their future is hosed

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dev286 posted:

Yeah true.

The hedge fund was basically trying to say that OG's food/packaging costs are too high and they have too many menu items to do any of them well.

How about the greatest sinned that got them shitcanned: They didn't salt the water.

Not because it was a style, rather to keep the warranty on the cookware.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

mike12345 posted:

no, because they have no hope and their future is hosed

...so they want to make it even worse? Seal the deal? lol I'm not seeing the non-moron thinking here

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*in this episode of Roseanne, Dan and Roseanne fight over the use of the unlimited pasta pass, DJ contemplates suicide because they've eaten pasta for 8 weeks straight out of styrofoam containers*

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Miserable Maid posted:

Well... Yeah. Of course places like New York and Los Angeles, and other cultural melting pots, will have tons of incredible and tasty selections at great prices too. You'd be an idiot, or have no taste, to still go for the crappy chain.

But for a ton of America, a lot of local places still just kinda suck, sure to things like high overhead causing equivilant or worse pricing, lack of established infrastructure causing them to have less then fresh ingredients, lack of corperate oversight leading to dirty or lacking kitchens, etc., A few (of the many many) reasons something crazy like 80% or 90% of restaurants fail in the first year of business.

Also people are lazy and just don't like to take risks about stuff like that in general, for the most part. They'd rather pass up a potentially amazing new place for an old standby, rather then potentially having a crappy experience.

It's really dang weird how a bunch of y'all keep saying that quality restaurants don't exist outside of the coasts, as if the "flyover country" is nothing but dilapidated food deserts. Major Midwest metropolitan areas like Cincinnati, Detroit, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Ann Arbor, etc have countless locally owned quality Italian places that are billions of times better than Olive Garden or Fazoli's and often cheaper too. You don't even have to be in Chicago.

Most people don't actually live in rural America, ya know. The vast, vast bulk of flyover country population is in urban cores.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dev286 posted:

Yeah true.

The hedge fund was basically trying to say that OG's food/packaging costs are too high and they have too many menu items to do any of them well.

Hedge funds have literally one playbook: slash all expenses and then pay us millions in management fees

They are the least credible people on earth

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I live up my own rear end, and let me tell you, the local cuisine here tastes like S H I T !

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You should always take a Tinder date to Olive Garden

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Just as an example: the reason most nice takeout containers are dishwasher safe is because it's a side effect of making them microwave safe. Obviously, food you can reheat right in the container has an appeal

But some overpaid know-it-all puts this as an example of waste because he doesn't actually know poo poo.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Just as an example: the reason most nice takeout containers are dishwasher safe is because it's a side effect of making them microwave safe. Obviously, food you can reheat right in the container has an appeal

But some overpaid know-it-all puts this as an example of waste because he doesn't actually know poo poo.

Bbbbut non-standard straw length!

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

It's really dang weird how a bunch of y'all keep saying that quality restaurants don't exist outside of the coasts, as if the "flyover country" is nothing but dilapidated food deserts. Major Midwest metropolitan areas like Cincinnati, Detroit, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Ann Arbor, etc have countless locally owned quality Italian places that are billions of times better than Olive Garden or Fazoli's and often cheaper too. You don't even have to be in Chicago.

Most people don't actually live in rural America, ya know. The vast, vast bulk of flyover country population is in urban cores.

Oh, no, there's tons of quality out there. But that's what I meant about the risk aversion. Most people just don't wanna bother, especially since things like Yelp reviews can't always be trusted. Anecdotal, but with my town there is lots of local institutions that consistently get awards and high reviews online, but when I went to go try them the food sucked and cost way too much, and mainly reviews seemed to come from people that liked the owners and stuff.

Then sometimes I go to little holes in the wall with average to slightly below average reviews, and they end up being cheap, tasty and friendly.

So I guess the takeaway is people are lazy as hell and don't want to do more then a second worth of research and just would rather have the bland but safe option

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
The more impoverished the venue, the better the food.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
tomatoes aren't even italian :eyepop:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

KakerMix posted:

Are you the guy that always comments about how Israeli food doesn't exist because it was all stolen from the arabs

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you the guy that always comments about how Israeli food doesn't exist because it was all stolen from the arabs

Is that guy cool and sexy or dumb and fat?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mu Zeta posted:

Israel doesn't exist.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

elmer chud posted:

Israel doesn't exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel

??????????????????????

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

KakerMix posted:

The Columbian exchange was a big deal for food. Shame about the dead natives though!

Mu Zeta posted:

As far as I'm aware Israeli food is the odd one out in the region, rather than part of it.
Like they have some of the same kinds of food as the rest of the region.
But then also stuff brought from Eastern Europe (the Ashkenazi influence) mixed in.

I mean when you kinda pop your country in abruptly within the last century it's gonna stand out from everyone else.

Grape fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 24, 2018

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Let’s buy this for low tax

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Lasagna is garbage and Italian food has so much more to offer than that outside of garbage rear end chains. Like arancini, real buffalo mozzarella, cacio e pepe, any amazingly delicious fish, pasta arrabbiata, eggplant parmesan, ricotta gnudi, gnocchi, anything made with ricotta, basically anything fresh that isn't Americanized bullshit slop.

This is a garbage opinion

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

so this is an incredibly awkward way for you to interpret what you quoted and makes it look like you are being insanely patronizing without knowing what the hell you are talking about again. you basically just implied that midwestern metros cannot be cultural melting pots, and i'm over here in KC (which, by the way, invented burnt ends and popularized pit style barbecue, you're welcome) where spanish and somalian have been fighting it out for the 2nd most commonly spoken language in our public schools for going on 10 years now. and that isn't for lack of hispanic people.

i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on the wording and refer you to the explore/exploit dilemma to answer the behavior you're asking about beyond that. it's worth noting that going to a new restaurant is the quintessential example of this dilemma in real life given by this book, which is very well regarded. the punch line, for casual readers, is that exploring all these unknown local places is expensive in terms of time and energy, which a lot of people aren't willing to expend for various reasons. older people, for example, are notorious in being set in their ways specifically because they don't want to expend energy exploring new options and experiences simply because they're not going to be around long enough to cut through the bullshit AND really harvest the upside of a brilliant find - in other words, they lean sharply toward exploiting, rather than exploring. this is an entirely rational and reasonable decision - and, as the book i linked points out, in situations where they are asked to imagine if a new technological advance was going to add 20 years to their lives, they go straight back to preferring exploration the way younger people do. it's a pretty well explored topic.

in a similar way, a couple with a family that only gets one date night a month, or every few months, could very reasonably be rather reluctant to risk that evening being ruined by bad food or lovely service, and very astutely observe that even if they did hit the jackpot and find an amazing local place with great food, they won't really have the opportunity to benefit from it. so they go to the chains they know with predictable returns, even if they're not the best on offer.

the tl;dr there is that if you do not get a large amount of pleasure from eating particularly good food (like i do, my huge vice is food), the decision to go out and take risks with the time you have there offers a pretty thin reward for the risk you take. it's therefore entirely reasonable that many people would choose not to take the risk. they have other things to focus on.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 24, 2018

kecske
Feb 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
"authentic" "good food" is so passé, only the most heinous garbage pretender foods will satisfy me.

therefore the $300 card is perfect

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

kecske posted:

"authentic" "good food" is so passé, only the most heinous garbage pretender foods will satisfy me.

eating like a peasant is the new exotic experience

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I had the original pasta pass - me and 2 coworkers I ate out with all the time all got them somehow.

We went almost every single day for the 8 weeks, and got it to-go for dinner most nights. I gained 22 lbs and got to know all of the waitresses from the local OG. I tried to get through every single combination of pasta shape, sauce, and protein but gave up after 30 something.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Pasta is bad for you

Dense as gently caress with them calories

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Where does Earls rank on the restaurant chain chart? That used to be the family go-to back in the 90's and early 2000's. I remember always liking their burgers as a kid.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Earls closed down over 90 years ago dude

Where do you think you are right now?

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Canada.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Zzulu posted:

Pasta is bad for you

Dense as gently caress with them calories

yeah I loving love it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grape posted:

...so they want to make it even worse? Seal the deal? lol I'm not seeing the non-moron thinking here

Where did he say his brother thought it was good? Fascism happens when people are panicking and looking for scapegoats. He just said he understood why it was happening

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m loving dying that someone wrote a whole book about “I only want chicken fingers from Ma and Pa’s Chicken Shack, if we go to the Ethiopian place and then food sucks then my meager earnings and my only window into happiness will be slammed shut!”

Like holy gently caress who cares if old people don’t like to expand their horizons. Even if you’re broke AF go out and try new things and you’ll eventually find something you like!

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

kecske posted:

You should order some Alfredo. I hear that is the pasta of choice of low class garbage people.

And I'll just leave this right here. Actual Italian people eating Americanized slop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHJhB4pmPCg

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 24, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m loving dying that someone wrote a whole book about “I only want chicken fingers from Ma and Pa’s Chicken Shack, if we go to the Ethiopian place and then food sucks then my meager earnings and my only window into happiness will be slammed shut!”

Like holy gently caress who cares if old people don’t like to expand their horizons. Even if you’re broke AF go out and try new things and you’ll eventually find something you like!

that isn't even remotely what either the book or the explore/exploit dilemma is about and i'd encourage you to go back and read the article again if that's what you took from it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In the end all food is poo poo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

ITT we find Goons, also known as people who tried eating dog food to save money, criticizing people for their food choices

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Actually Olive garden is pretty good and it's nice to go there with family and friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

All I want are cheap hot snacks. If Olive Garden serves 'em, then just serve them to me. Piled High.

• Locked thread