Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
This is a thread for posting 'weird' food combinations that you enjoy that you think other people might enjoy too if they tried it.

For example, if you don't hate mustard, try it as a spread on toast, it's pretty good! (I like a whole grain mustard on toast.)

Also, discovered by not eating dairy and being at a salad bar, it turns out that generic yellow mustard makes for a good salad dressing. A coworker saw me doing this several times and decided to try it too, and he said it's better than any of the selection of dressings. Again, assuming you don't hate mustard.

But this isn't a mustard thread, so no need to gas it (the joke is mustard gas is a thing), it's for all kinds of food oddities.

Have you eaten amaranth? I'd pretty much never even seen amaranth until a couple weeks ago, turns out if you throw a bunch of it in a soup it thickens it up a bit and also remains just grainy enough to be a texture, like if you put tiny pasta balls in a soup. I rate it "a bit like quinoa but better".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackDuke

I don’t think this is common:
after you make popcorn (or buy SmartFood if you’re smart) put some hot sauce in the bag and shake it around to coat it. better than plain popcorn and better than plain hot sauce.

Manifisto

well this is a nothing tip to those in the know but whatever

if you like broc, or at least eat broc, you may be chopping off the florets and discarding the stems. you don't need to do that! peel the very outer layer off the stems, then slice them thin like coins, and they steam/cook in the same time as the florets and they taste just as, well, however you feel about broccoli

side note: I have heard conflicting things about this, but the current wikipedia stance is that albert r. broccoli, of james bond film fame, does have a family name related to people who produced and sold the vegetable

so what I'm saying is, when restaurants offer me a broccoli side dish and I say "shaken, not stirred," I am technically in the right

you hear that tgi fridays? :argh:

ty nesamdoom!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
pickles + hummus

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

blaise rascal posted:

pickles + hummus
Pickles + hummus is a great pita combo. Also halved cherry tomatoes + hummus, or all three things.
Or do you mean dipping pickles into hummus? I guess that would be okay too.

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

natto. if its too plain tasting for you put some green capers in it. and don't forget an egg yolk!

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

roomforthetuna

That reminds me, I learned from an expert how to make miso soup good rather than just okay.
Saute an onion and some mushrooms first, and break up some seaweed into small pieces, and cook all that in with the miso paste and water. Also bits of tofu or noodles maybe.

Alternatively, this might be a way to make onion and mushroom soup good by adding some miso paste.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Ketchup on biscuits. So good

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

little munchkin
rocks and dirt

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

blaise rascal

roomforthetuna posted:

Or do you mean dipping pickles into hummus? I guess that would be okay too.
si

blaise rascal

chop up and freeze some bananas, then put them in a food processor with some peanut butter. congratulations, you now have an almost unbelievably decadent vegan ice cream

take the moon

by sebmojo

little munchkin posted:

rocks and dirt

been eating rocks plain all these years and thought something was missing, thanks for the tip

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

little munchkin posted:

rocks and dirt

Manifisto

lol

Twenty Four

So from the other thread, having all the small bits of chips at the bottom of the bag, and some salsa, and just putting it together and eating it with a fork. Perhaps I am a monster?

Manifisto

Twenty Four posted:

Perhaps I am a monster?

for eating soup with a fork? maybe, maybe

ty nesamdoom!

tensac

is it anything?
Nobody said rear end, so rear end.

blaise rascal

I eat ginger root

I chop off a piece and put it in smoothies

Dungeon Ecology

roomforthetuna posted:

Also, discovered by not eating dairy and being at a salad bar, it turns out that generic yellow mustard makes for a good salad dressing. A coworker saw me doing this several times and decided to try it too, and he said it's better than any of the selection of dressings. Again, assuming you don't hate mustard.

mustard, olive oil, soy sauce and vinegar mixed makes an excellent salad dressing.

Drink-Mix Man

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

If you go to a legit Mexican taco place or carniceria, the grosser-sounding the part of the cow, the more delicious. Tripe, head, tongue are all :discourse:

Drink-Mix Man

Also, I've found that leaving the green part of strawberries in a fruit salad gives it a little variety

Manifisto

Dungeon Ecology posted:

mustard, olive oil, soy sauce and vinegar mixed makes an excellent salad dressing.

:agreed:

I usually go with dijon but any mustard you like will probably work well

I might throw some herbs in there too, thyme tarragon basil oregano whatever floats yer boat

and always lots of black pepper

Manifisto

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Also, I've found that leaving the green part of strawberries in a fruit salad gives it a little variety

a lot of people know you can use the beet greens when you buy a bunch, cook them like you would chard or spinach (e.g. saute with garlic) and they are very yummy

fewer people are aware that you can do the same with radish greens, saute the radishes while you're at it for an interesting variation, although ofc raw radishes are really good

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Dungeon Ecology posted:

i am not a mustard fan but it does make an excellent marinade for steak

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

i am not a mustard fan but it does make an excellent marinade for steak

huh, this I have not heard of

how do you do it?

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

huh, this I have not heard of

how do you do it?

just slather your beef in mustard and let it marinate in the fridge for a few hours or a day, either wipe off or leave on and cook. a friend told me about it years ago and its the only reason that mustard exists in my fridge, I've only ever done i with dijon.

edit: also obviously salt and pepper

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

just slather your beef in mustard and let it marinate in the fridge for a few hours or a day, either wipe off or leave on and cook. a friend told me about it years ago and its the only reason that mustard exists in my fridge, I've only ever done i with dijon.

well that does sound interesting, I may have to try it

a little hard to envision how the steak will taste, but I like mustard in general so I doubt it can screw things up too badly?

roomforthetuna

Manifisto posted:

a lot of people know you can use the beet greens when you buy a bunch, cook them like you would chard or spinach (e.g. saute with garlic) and they are very yummy

fewer people are aware that you can do the same with radish greens, saute the radishes while you're at it for an interesting variation, although ofc raw radishes are really good
I did not know this about radish greens, good tip.

Carrot leaves go pretty nicely in a carrot soup. A bit like coriander leaves, which is funny since carrot and coriander soup is a thing; now you can make it from carrot and carrot.

And hot pepper leaves (though you'll only have these if you grow hot peppers yourself) are like a thicker slightly-spicy spinach leaf.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

well that does sound interesting, I may have to try it

a little hard to envision how the steak will taste, but I like mustard in general so I doubt it can screw things up too badly?

i hate mustard but love it as a marinade

:shrug:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

If you go to a legit Mexican taco place or carniceria, the grosser-sounding the part of the cow, the more delicious. Tripe, head, tongue are all :discourse:

I can't find it anymore but I love souse, aka head cheese (so-called because it's a loaf of the parts of a pig's head in a gelatinous cube and sliced thin}. I love mine on a 2 slices of sesame seed bread with mustard.

I also love me some chicken gizzards, but I'm not a fan of liver or other organs of any other animals, except chicken livers wrapped in bacon. You could probably wrap shoe leather in bacon and not get yelled at by Gordon Ramsay.

Another thing I love but many others may not have tried is pickled herring in white wine sauce with onions. It's a Dutch delicacy, and I tried it when I was in Amsterdam a few years ago- I acquired the taste from my mother, who often said we had Dutch ancestry.

Pickled pig's feet most likely falls into this category as well, you have to of course not eat the bones but it's good if you like sour.

Speaking of sour- I occasionally will make a sandwich made from canned salmon, I get the brands with the bones still in. They're steamed soft and harmless, but they add a slight crunch that I like.

What I do is I empty the can into a bowl with some diced onions, and add a capful of white vinegar and mix it with a fork. Throw it on some bread and it's yum!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Manifisto

Splatmaster posted:

Speaking of sour- I occasionally will make a sandwich made from canned salmon, I get the brands with the bones still in. They're steamed soft and harmless, but they add a slight crunch that I like.

What I do is I empty the can into a bowl with some diced onions, and add a capful of white vinegar and mix it with a fork. Throw it on some bread and it's yum!

I do not eat canned fish that often, but a proper pan bagnat is in the godly tier of food for me, if I am feeling fancy sometimes I will make them

the calvin trillin recipe (published in Gourmet magazine) is the one I've made and it's so drat good I have never experimented with other options

I've also had it in france on the riviera, obvs you're not going to be able to rival that at home, the ambiance alone makes it 10x more delicious

http://www.gourmet.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/magazine/2000s/2001/02/onceuponamarket.html

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/nicoise-tuna-sandwich-pan-bagnat-104642

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Manifisto posted:

I do not eat canned fish that often, but a proper pan bagnat is in the godly tier of food for me, if I am feeling fancy sometimes I will make them

the calvin trillin recipe (published in Gourmet magazine) is the one I've made and it's so drat good I have never experimented with other options

I've also had it in france on the riviera, obvs you're not going to be able to rival that at home, the ambiance alone makes it 10x more delicious

http://www.gourmet.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/magazine/2000s/2001/02/onceuponamarket.html

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/nicoise-tuna-sandwich-pan-bagnat-104642

I think the French Riviera is planned in the next few years, pan-bagnat on the French Riv is officially a bucket list thing!

Gonna try that recipe though

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

FactsAreUseless

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm not a fan of tripe or head but tongue is super tasty in a taco.

City of Glompton

little munchkin posted:

rocks and dirt

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Scaly Haylie

this whole thread but chilled for 30 minutes in the freezer

Dungeon Ecology

you guys my co worker brought in some classic slavic food including KVASS, which i forgot existed

its like a bread thats also a soda, and its usually cold and fizzy!

Manifisto

Dungeon Ecology posted:

you guys my co worker brought in some classic slavic food including KVASS, which i forgot existed

its like a bread thats also a soda, and its usually cold and fizzy!

I have at times thought about making kvass

reactions by people to the idea have been decidedly mixed however

ty nesamdoom!

Drink-Mix Man

A single grape

Contron

www.youtube.com/contron

blaise rascal posted:

pickles + hummus

Magic mushrooms + hummus

The only way to kill that taste imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

Contron posted:

Magic mushrooms + hummus