Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

HenryEx posted:

You are just aallllways busy, there's so much stuff to do and in the pursuit of x you tend to lose sight of y until you suddenly remember and go full steam in some other direction.

Like, a character asks you for some gold-star burgers. Alright, time to cook!
Except you need gold-star onions for that. Okay whatever, time to grow some onions first. The farmer only sells you silver-star seeds though, so you need to make your own boost-fertilizer to get it up to gold rating.
BUT for that, you need a high-grade alchemy table! Which needs some complicated woodwork, so you need to upgrade your carpenter's bench first, and that means getting some more wood precessed. You also need advanced flasks, which means you need a furnace to make you some glass first, for which you need ash so you gotta first do your actual job as a graveyard keeper and autopsy/incinerate some corpses. Which is good, because the ACTUAL recipe for the fertilizer also requires even more ash, and other alchemic solutions for which you'll probably have to go out and collect some flowers or mushrooms for. Eventually.
But first, you need to grow and harvest something else, and compost the harvesting waste to get some peat as a base for your effective fertilizer! You might as well grow some wheat, since you'll need to eventually bake some buns for the burgers. Remember the burgers???
You then notice that you can't actually make the advanced flasks or your new carpenter's work bench yet, because you still need blue skill points to learn the technology first. Where to get blue skill points? Not easy... Mostly through doing your actual job, and interring people (instead of incinerating them like you did before, so more work), or more precisely, carving grave decorations for them. Time to visit the quarry to get some materials for gravestones?
Oh what, you don't know the quarry? Just take a week off and explore, find it, and then build a camp with important workstations on site, then come back to what you were doing.

Uh, what was that again?

I ordered some burgers online and they took 3 months to deliver them.

They where delicious though! The secret ingrediënt is human flesh.

Maybe ordering them from the heretical gravedigger was not the brightest idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Said heretic also run the church, so... god sactioned human meat? :airquote:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am loving this game, been putting in a ton of time with it and it definitely is as described above where you have 10 objectives and usually need to do 100 things before being able to finish those objectives and 1000 things before those that have to be done first so it is easy to get sidetracked. I wish there was a way to have stuff marked on the calendar wheel thing so I don't forget something's coming up, I'm getting used to it but would like a way to make it more obvious to me what day it is and that I had something to do this day so I remember to check the NPC list to see who it is and what needs done. I assume this is part of the game, just having to spin all these plates while still having to remember that you need to meet the cult guy on the hill on this day because you made the fliers and wood and bring the whatever to this guy on that day... it's just a lot to remember :sweatdrop:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sorry for the double post but I'm currently hopelessly addicted to this motherfucking game. I just got zombies up and running and while they may not help much with the crushing late game grind (from what I'm told) it certainly helps with what I assume is the midgame grind of resource gathering. Having quarries set up and zombies running stone blocks back and forth is great, but with the crafting you can do too I can imagine having a whole camp set up near the quarries for gravestone production or whatever you need at the time.

I am a bit miffed because it took me this long to realize the priest guy had a mission for me to kick off the clay gathering stuff. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I needed to begin harvesting clay to start making urns and stuff. They could definitely make that a little bit clearer when someone has a mission for you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Zombies are neat. My gut feeling is it isn't going to help you finish quests any faster absolutely. But they are a hell of a safety blanket for when you have the veggie crate broke brains like I do where in the middle of any quest I have an OCD feeling of WAIT DO I NEED TO gently caress WITH VEGGIE CRATES FIRST?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

zedprime posted:

Zombies are neat. My gut feeling is it isn't going to help you finish quests any faster absolutely. But they are a hell of a safety blanket for when you have the veggie crate broke brains like I do where in the middle of any quest I have an OCD feeling of WAIT DO I NEED TO gently caress WITH VEGGIE CRATES FIRST?

Yeah, getting a zombie porter to haul crates basically just means that you either build the # of crates you can ship from the zombie crate building manually or designate them to be built.

I just finished the game (with liberal application of cheatengine, mostly for a sprint key and to duplicate alchemy-derived resources since the interface for that is awful and mass production with them is hellish), and I found that having 2 zombies up in the workyard to run machines is incredibly helpful. Once you get zombies running the wood production, iron production, and stone production (and schlepping the resources around), you get a lot off stuff coming in, so having zombies process that crap for your while you sleep is great! You can also, later in the game, set up zombies in the quarry to cut the stone or iron without your intervention, though zombies don't benefit from your iron cutting perks as far as finding gold and stuff (nor do they find stuff when mining coal), so you might want to cut up the iron slabs yourself. Cutting up the marble and stone is very simple though! You can set a zombie on a single spot to cut infinite stone blocks and infinite marble blocks and they'll process it all for you (make sure to keep enough wooden wedges stocked up in the quarry though - they do go through 2 wedges/marble block). I actually ended up with about 600 stone near the end and had to cut off stone production (speaking of which, building lawns in the graveyard is a super simple way to beautify the graveyard cheaply once you have access to a lot of stone, and makes great filler while you amass more corpses).

Also zombie writers are incredibly useful. You need to keep them supplied with paper, but you can have them write books that grant 25 tech points each at the cost of 3! clean paper. The type is chosen randomly, and it seems like blue is slightly rarer, but the stations for writing are dirt cheap (ink is the only mildly exotic component). I'd go so far as to say that beelining the ability to mass produce clean paper using the printing press and creating a bunch of ghost writers is something that should be aimed for as soon as possible once the essentials are up and running since it makes unlocking new technologies so much faster. It's also kind of necessary when you're using tons of zombies since you won't be getting a lot of red points that you would have had otherwise from chopping up stone and wood.

Really a lot of the game now is getting to the point where you can make zombies, and then getting to the point where you can make enough of them and upgrade them. By keeping a close eye on the skulls, you can get to 8 white skulls fairly easily by mixing and matching organs (I kept a mortuary cabinet of organs that were known to have +2 white skulls by experimenting with removing them from the corpse - this works best with the surgeon perk and the upgraded preparation place). The skulls for porters don't really matter, but it makes a big difference for zombies that are actually running machinery. I think at the end I had 9 zombies in the quarry (3 porters, 2 iron/coal, 2 marble, 2 cutting marble/iron), 2 on wood (1 porter, one cutting), 6 writers, 6 farmers, 4 workshop zombies (moved to where I needed them), and one veggie porter.

Basically your day at that point consists of giving the workshop zombies their marching orders to make whatever you need for your infrastructure (or more wood chunks for cremation), and then loving off to the morgue to make better corpses or perform alchemy, with the occasional trip to the village for a quest or to pick up your crate earnings.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
So having just bought the game, I can't imagine it having been very playable without the zombies. Running around manually cutting rocks and wood after the early game seems like a loving pain.

e: re: corpse quality; removing organs like the heart, brain, or intestines have a random effect on red/white skulls. How does this actually work out when re-adding said organs?
Will removing and replacing a heart sometimes bring a net gain?

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 5, 2018

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You don't especially need the volume of goods zombies can get you for the critical path. Like arguably the 12g papers is a grind, but player skills in fishing and mining are maybe better than whatever you can get out of zombies automating crates or graveyard furnishings for that preaching money.

Most quests need like a couple of something specific, which a bunch of dumb 24/7 labor isn't especially saving you time on.

If you want to fill the graveyard, yeah you need to be a very special person to do that without the zombies.

E. Important parts have an innate skull content. You can get a tech to see it if you follow a specific questions chain Snake's . Otherwise you can see it by deduction by removing and re-adding if it was white skulls you wanted, but get the no mistake techs or eat a burger if you don't want RNG loving you.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 5, 2018

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Nosfereefer posted:

So having just bought the game, I can't imagine it having been very playable without the zombies. Running around manually cutting rocks and wood after the early game seems like a loving pain.

Upgrading your work stations, tools, and taking the perks made a huge difference. I’m not saying it wasn’t a pain, just not a loving pain. I saved my sermon money for big purchases and used my farm for convenience purchases like supplemental iron from the blacksmith. Your basic veggies are the least effort intensive thing you can do, so it’s a nice lump of pocket change to spend on raw or partially-refined materials.

Now that zombies are in I might actually finish the drat thing though. Hauling logs or stacking and shoving them a long distance was so stupid.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nosfereefer posted:

e: re: corpse quality; removing organs like the heart, brain, or intestines have a random effect on red/white skulls. How does this actually work out when re-adding said organs?

For sure, there was a point that I was struggling to get enough iron/wood/stone to make what I needed to, but after getting a decent supply chain up and running my stocks are basically always full. I am now getting to the point where there's more importance on the level of my Church/Graveyard which having that stock certainly helps, but isn't everything. I've been burning all my corpses after removing all the parts to make the Urn display in the Graveyard that gives +16, but I'm now realizing after ignoring it thusfar I really do have to get into the management of corpses and their ratings so I can bury those for more points. There's always so much to do. Things have slowed down considerably now that I've gotten all the blue points from the body parts and I guess the only way to get more is by making polished stone? If there's a better way to get blue points once you've researched all the body parts I'd like to know because I have so much that needs researching still and it's slowed to a trickle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Study graveyard things (graves, walls, etc.).

The astrologer sells a book that gets you 25 and restocks once a week.

Zombie random text generator can make the same books but randomly R/G/B.

Write books to create new prayers or sell to the astrologer.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nosfereefer posted:

As mentioned earlier, each organ contributes some random amount of red and white skulls. Generally speaking, my goal was to remove organs to see what effect it had on the # of skulls on the corpse. For the most part, you're looking to keep the organs that when harvested remove 2 white skulls. There are two wrinkles to this - some organs not only add 2 red skulls, but also remove one white skull, and some organs remove red skulls and add 3 white skulls.

I don't worry about min-maxing bodies until the surgeon perk and preparation place 2 are online, since that seems to remove the failure chance. Getting 8 skulls by putting 3 good organs in and then removing blood and fat works well for making competent zombies.

Late game, after you unlock the perk to see the skull value of organs and unlock embalming, is when you really go all out on making pretty corpses.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime posted:

Cool, this is what I was looking for. Thanks! :cheers:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Can zombie resurrections fail? I just went to make a zombie and the animation played, but the body just up and vanished.

Nevermind, he was hiding perfectly behind the table. I only figured it out when the tip of the yellow outline showed up on the edge of the table. :doh:

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Also zombie writers are incredibly useful. You need to keep them supplied with paper, but you can have them write books that grant 25 tech points each at the cost of 3! clean paper. The type is chosen randomly, and it seems like blue is slightly rarer, but the stations for writing are dirt cheap (ink is the only mildly exotic component). I'd go so far as to say that beelining the ability to mass produce clean paper using the printing press and creating a bunch of ghost writers is something that should be aimed for as soon as possible once the essentials are up and running since it makes unlocking new technologies so much faster. It's also kind of necessary when you're using tons of zombies since you won't be getting a lot of red points that you would have had otherwise from chopping up stone and wood.

The zombie writer is absolutely the best use of a zombie. It's nice to have an infinite supply of logs but when you have the lumberjack skills you can easily pick one of the large trees that gives 4 logs that is in a nice place where you only need to push the logs vertically, so that you can move all 4 logs in one run. Two of those trees fills your log storage back up, and the trees will regrow fast enough so that you can keep picking well positioned ones. Stone and iron are a bit tougher but a big run for those can keep you supplied for a good while.

On the other hand, the writer zombie can craft stories out of 2 paper. Stories are normally a limited resource, early game you can get them from a perk when you do a new NPC dialogue, you sometimes get them from research, and in the end game you can apparantly get them from confessions (am not that far yet myself). When you run out of those options, the only way to get them without zombies is to craft them yourself for 10 faith and a bunch of ink/paper. Use that 10 faith on a zombie instead and it can create infinite stories for you as long as you supply it with enough paper. Once the stories start flowing in I recommend crafting a prayer for inspiration asap. Inspiration allow you to process stories -> notes -> chapters with a nice quality bonus on both steps, especially when combined with the two writer perks. Bronze tier is fine, it only needs the church at 10 and the only drawback to the buff is a shorter duration, but it is still long enough to do a big run of writing.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

There isn't much point to stories though iirc? After I made my gold star combo prayer I didn't find any use for the tons of stories/chapters I have in my storage because the other prayers have so limited effects that you might as well don't bother

Yeah you can apparently make blue point books but that also stops being useful after the midgame. I really have no use for that myself. Dunno. Like a lot of things in this game are neat at first glance but fall of super hard eventually because the dev/devs don't do a very good design job

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

There isn't much point to stories though iirc? After I made my gold star combo prayer I didn't find any use for the tons of stories/chapters I have in my storage because the other prayers have so limited effects that you might as well don't bother

Yeah you can apparently make blue point books but that also stops being useful after the midgame. I really have no use for that myself. Dunno. Like a lot of things in this game are neat at first glance but fall of super hard eventually because the dev/devs don't do a very good design job

You get red/green/blue books in roughly equal ratio. Since zombies doing processing don't drop points, red points are more scarce if you use them liberally. The books are surprisingly useful.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Books to astrologer isn't a bad floodable profit source. But you can also maybe do that entirely off of quest stories and as a third rate floodable you can pick a different floodable whether you ran out of stories or the margin got too thin.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

I've got five furnace III's set up constantly making glass/conical beakers/advanced beakers. I just wish I could sell those advanced beakers. I just delete them now.

Got bored with RDR2 and came back to this, zombies are nice.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I too did the advanced conical flasks for a long time, but creating books is a much quicker source of blue points which is the perk bottleneck for the majority of the game. Everything you can make eventually stops being useful as you complete all the tasks the game throws at you.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if I restarted or wasn't almost done with perk points, I'd be doing that.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Completed this yesterday. I didn't mind the waiting in the quest in the midgame, but it was pretty egregious in the final few quests as there was nothing else left for me to do in the meantime, not even any side activity achievements. You can meditate to sleep without waking up when energy is full, but it still added up to 10-15 minutes of just sitting there waiting for a week to pass by. It's just kind of weird that they'd keep such a long string of wait-a-weeks as the final thing most players are going to do*. 10-15 minutes isn't that bad (I just went and got a drink) but it's just so unnecessary to make it like that.

*You can (probably?) avoid this by building up the 12g for the aristocrat papers before getting your graveyard to rating 200, but I figured better graveyard = more money from sermons -> better do graveyard first as I expect most people would.

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
if you finish the game with a graveyard rating of less than 1258, you have failed

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Angela Lansburial posted:

if you finish the game with a graveyard rating of less than 1258, you have failed

I used the right side for random corpses and the left side for perfectly optimal layout with marble colombariums and 12-rated graves. I was going to slowly exhume and redo the right side up to perfection but after I reached 200 it didn't seem like there was any point to it anymore so I stopped. :effort:

This failure weighs heavily upon me, but the game is already finished and it is too late for me.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Been giving this a go last few days, it felt a bit too disrespectful of my time so I found a mod to give me constant energy regen - now I just have the grind of money, crafting times and running around collecting everything still which is enough for me.

Still very early, got my quality 5 graveyard, unlocked the path to the quarry and the bridge to the swamp... Now I just need to build up some faith and science to start studying things.

How long until I can unlock the zombie helper guys? Who's quests should I be doing for it?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

Been giving this a go last few days, it felt a bit too disrespectful of my time so I found a mod to give me constant energy regen - now I just have the grind of money, crafting times and running around collecting everything still which is enough for me.

Still very early, got my quality 5 graveyard, unlocked the path to the quarry and the bridge to the swamp... Now I just need to build up some faith and science to start studying things.

How long until I can unlock the zombie helper guys? Who's quests should I be doing for it?

Snake. After you help him open the gate you find a zombie that helps you get started. You have to buy some cheap perks and need some materials to build zombie stations, but the biggest cost is the 10 faith required to resurrect one.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

OK - I finished studying the key but now he's not around, I guess I need to wait for his day to proceed?

I've worked out basic money making - Faith seems like it'll be the biggest bottleneck, I guess I need to start improving my church... Which needs more blue, which needs more faith.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

VodeAndreas posted:

OK - I finished studying the key but now he's not around, I guess I need to wait for his day to proceed?

I've worked out basic money making - Faith seems like it'll be the biggest bottleneck, I guess I need to start improving my church... Which needs more blue, which needs more faith.

Snake shows up the night of the Merchant showing up and leaves relatively early on his day, so it's best to get him in the night before he leaves.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How do you guys maintain seeds while farming? It seems like no matter what quality fertilizer I use, I lose seeds in the end. I wanna set up zombie farms for wheat and onions, but I'm worried about having to continually buy more seeds.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

How do you guys maintain seeds while farming? It seems like no matter what quality fertilizer I use, I lose seeds in the end. I wanna set up zombie farms for wheat and onions, but I'm worried about having to continually buy more seeds.

Peat will slowly lose seeds. Silver quality fertilizer will very slowly gain seeds and increase seed quality for crops with a quality. Gold quality fertilizer will increase seeds.

Note that boost fertilizer just makes plants grow faster and will not give more seed yields.

You can upgrade the zombie farms with silver and gold fertilizer and while I haven't done any major testing, I haven't had them stall out after upgrading them.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dirk the Average posted:

Peat will slowly lose seeds. Silver quality fertilizer will very slowly gain seeds and increase seed quality for crops with a quality. Gold quality fertilizer will increase seeds.

Note that boost fertilizer just makes plants grow faster and will not give more seed yields.

You can upgrade the zombie farms with silver and gold fertilizer and while I haven't done any major testing, I haven't had them stall out after upgrading them.

Well, that's good to know. I was running under the assumption that boost fertilizer would increase output, thus increase seed output. I'll get onions up to gold, then convert one of the fields to a zombie farm and get wheat going as well.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Early game, using peat for carrots/wheat/etc and just eating the seed loss is fine too. You can get a lot of carrots out of every single lost seed. Once I got gold zombie farms set up I never had to buy any more seeds, but I was closing in on the end and didn't test very deeply whether I'd be able to keep going. But after you do the upgrades you never need fertilizer for your zombies again, so I'd still say a small seed decay is worth it. You're definitely getting most of your seeds back.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

neogeo0823 posted:

Unless they changed it you should be gaining seeds when you use quality fertilizer. However they will not all be of the same quality, some will be higher. Are you counting those too?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Unless they changed it you should be gaining seeds when you use quality fertilizer. However they will not all be of the same quality, some will be higher. Are you counting those too?

yeah, I was trying to get to gold seeds. What I didn't realize was that A.) boost fertilizer didn't boost the output of your crops, and B.) that peat would still result in seed loss at first. Once I actually got enough gold seeds to start up the farm, things have been running very smoothly for that. My main issue now will be getting the few hundred blue points I need to finish out the... theology tree? The one that gets me the last graveyard and church upgrades. I'm working on it right now though. I've figured out that eating a cake before studying will give you extra points, so now it's a matter of finding enough sources of blue points in between the sparse blue books my zombies right for me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

yeah, I was trying to get to gold seeds. What I didn't realize was that A.) boost fertilizer didn't boost the output of your crops, and B.) that peat would still result in seed loss at first. Once I actually got enough gold seeds to start up the farm, things have been running very smoothly for that. My main issue now will be getting the few hundred blue points I need to finish out the... theology tree? The one that gets me the last graveyard and church upgrades. I'm working on it right now though. I've figured out that eating a cake before studying will give you extra points, so now it's a matter of finding enough sources of blue points in between the sparse blue books my zombies right for me.

Ghost Writer and have your zombies write books. Or if you haven't unlocked that Glass->flasks->advanced flasks I started this game before the zombies were around and have five Furnace II's set up constantly refining sand to glass and up the chain. The posters upthread say Ghost Writer is WAY faster than the glass method.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Phssthpok posted:

The Town is hell. The game so far is Purgatory. You died in the first scene.
Graveyard Keeper is an excellent Life on Mars video game adaptation.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Soonmot posted:

Ghost Writer and have your zombies write books. Or if you haven't unlocked that Glass->flasks->advanced flasks I started this game before the zombies were around and have five Furnace II's set up constantly refining sand to glass and up the chain. The posters upthread say Ghost Writer is WAY faster than the glass method.

You can also just buy blue point books from the astrologer every week, which is I think 75 blues for 25 silver?

Related to zombies, what am I supposed to be adding to them to improve? Embalming helps but does adding more organs help too?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

You can also just buy blue point books from the astrologer every week, which is I think 75 blues for 25 silver?

Related to zombies, what am I supposed to be adding to them to improve? Embalming helps but does adding more organs help too?

Remove blood and fat from all corpses. At most, internal organs can add +3 white skulls, but more commonly you can find +2 white skull organs.

Once you're set up with a low failure rate on organ harvesting, remove organs from each corpse and look at how the skulls change. Keep every organ that adds 2 white skulls and combine 3 of those organs into any corpse you care about. Either grind up or destroy the bad organs and then cremate the body.

Towards the end game of helping the Inquisitor, you can get a perk that shows all of the properties of each organ, which is invaluable.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

The 50 point book is 50 silver which is somewhat steep, but the 25 point book is 5 silver and a good purchase every week once you're not dirt-poor any more. Not quite 100% sure on those numbers but just substitute the actual values and my opinion stays the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
OMG if I bugged out Ms Charm's quest again, I'm just done with this game. Vagner won't talk to me because I repeated the wine for stories quest too many times, and making the story myself bugs the questline. I'm going to give it a day, but otherwise rip.

Also: For those using random text generator for blue points, how are you getting anything close to a good amount? I've got that set up plus five furnaces for glass and I get way more making glass than hoping my zombie writes the correct type of book.