Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
The ghost was bitching at me for red skulls in the graveyard. So I guess exhume and don't bury red bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

LewdMonocle posted:

The ghost was bitching at me for red skulls in the graveyard. So I guess exhume and don't bury red bodies.

Here's how bodies work. There's two factors to gaining quality, Wreathes and Skulls. Not the item skull, but the little red and white skull icons. Every white skull is one potential graveyard quality. Wreathes are given by the actual tombstones and fences. A red skull is one negative quality, but can be negated with a Wreathe point. So, let's say you have two red skulls and two white skulls. You could get two points out of this corpse, but you would need four wreathes, two to offset the red and two for the white. If you had four white skulls and no red skulls, four wreathe points would give four quality. If you only have red skulls, you can't get ANY graveyard quality points from the corpse no matter how good your tombstone is, so you have to either burn it or embalm it.

e: this is why I recommend cremating until you have embalming unlocked, since it's possible to totally gently caress up your corpse and gain nothing from it if you remove too many organs, but collecting organs can be really important early on to get you some nice stuff.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 24, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

HenryEx posted:

I repaired the morgue chute and was very confused why it didn't work or did anything, until i repaired the other hatch, too.

Now the bodies get dropped right in the morgue, where they decay slower, but my question is: if i build a pallet right under the hatch, will the bodies automatically land on the pallet and not decay at all?
You can build a pallet near the hatch, but not under it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Whaaaaaa--

You can break vases/pots in the dungeon with your sword, and sometimes they contain health potions! :psyduck:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Whaaaaaa--

You can break vases/pots in the dungeon with your sword, and sometimes they contain health potions! :psyduck:

And seeds! And scrap metal! And other neat stuff! Smash all the pots and break the furniture!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The early and mid games are fun, but the late game gets really bad when so many of the quests turn into “Give me this thing you have at home but don’t have time to run back and grab!” then wait a week for “Thank you for thing, now wait a week for the next step!” then loving repeat

Words to the wise:

* If you care about the plot, you will end up doing everything. You will end up working with everyone. If you want to make choices about what you do in game, you’re playing the wrong game.

* There is some flexibility, though, in that most items you’re asked for can be bought. So, for example, if you don’t like fishing, you can buy 12 frogs from the witch instead of figuring all that poo poo out. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, being rich is as good as doing work.

* Alchemy is important to everything. Use the loving wiki to discover recipes, because otherwise it’s the stupidest waste of everything. If you want to keep the wonder of discovery, just look up what essences and powders you need, not what makes those essences and powders.

* Buy a loving teleport stone ASAP. The game does not give you any info about it, and given whetstones and everything else, I assumed it was consumable or wore away. It does not: it is a straight up free zap to your house or the tavern once per day. But it if only because gently caress figuring your way out of the swamp.

* Always eat cakes before researching! It gives extra blues when researching anything, it’s just even better when researching blues. You can also buy grape pie from the Tavern.

I’m now in a position where I’m just waiting for the NPCs to give me the next stage in their quests so I can move on, but at least it’s giving me time to finish up the graveyard. I’m up to 763 crosses, and I’m trying to figure out how to get to 800 (what the Bishop originally gives as a goal for the Cathedral) without it being a complete grind.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 25, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

skeleton warrior posted:

The early and mid games are fun, but the late game gets really bad when so many of the quests turn into “Give me this thing you have at home but don’t have time to run back and grab!” then wait a week for “Thank you for thing, now wait a week for the next step!” then loving repeat

Words to the wise:

* If you care about the plot, you will end up doing everything. You will end up working with everyone. If you want to make choices about what you do in game, you’re playing the wrong game.

* There is some flexibility, though, in that most items you’re asked for can be bought. So, for example, if you don’t like fishing, you can buy 12 frogs from the witch instead of figuring all that poo poo out. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, being rich is as good as doing work.

* Alchemy is important to everything. Use the loving wiki to discover recipes, because otherwise it’s the stupidest waste of everything. If you want to keep the wonder of discovery, just look up what essences and powders you need, not what makes those essences and powders.

* Buy a loving teleport stone ASAP. The game does not give you any info about it, and given whetstones and everything else, I assumed it was consumable or wore away. It does not: it is a straight up free zap to your house or the tavern once per day. But it if only because gently caress figuring your way out of the swamp.

I’m now in a position where I’m just waiting for the NPCs to give me the next stage in their quests so I can move on, but at least it’s giving me time to finish up the graveyard. I’m up to 763 crosses, and I’m trying to figure out how to get to 800 (what the Bishop originally gives as a goal for the Cathedral) without it being a complete grind.

Thanks for these, that first bullet point especially has affirmed that this game might be really interesting to me. Gonna buy it and give it the old look after some more Monhun tonight.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

w h a t

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

They added it in one of the early patches. Buy it at the inn.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think you can actually do it more than once a day, the cooldown's something like a third of a day long.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Holy gently caress this thread made me realize I didn't have the game set to auto-update and I'm still playing on the release patch

e: after reading all the patch notes Im restarting a new file on the current verision

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 25, 2018

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I know, right? Wish I’d tested it before I was grinding onions for the trader

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Also, unless a patch changed it, multiple teleport stones still share a cooldown. I noticed Horadric had a second one so I bought it, thinking I could use both independently.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Is fishing just broken on the xbox? If I fish and run out of energy failing to catch the fish, the game just hangs and controller input no longer works.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Holy gently caress this thread made me realize I didn't have the game set to auto-update and I'm still playing on the release patch

e: after reading all the patch notes Im restarting a new file on the current verision

It's practically a different game from when it released and the next 5 patches over the couple of days after it released. That's how substantial those first few patches were.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Okay, delayed ending the game for about twenty minutes so I could get the last of this in place. Final graveyard score: 815.

The image is a composite of four screenshots, so it's pretty big. (That's also why the lighting goes wonky across it.)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man the in game economy is truly hosed. Spend a large amount of time chasing down a stamp so you can make meat packages? 50 cooper each. Plant a bunch of grapes? 20-50 silver per wine selling load.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Liking this so far just working on fixing up everything in the church. It doesn’t feel so much like stardew valley though.Money doesn’t seem like the goal it’s more about advancing quests.

The one thing I wish this game had was more character customization. I want to look like an undertaker.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DropsySufferer posted:

It doesn’t feel so much like stardew valley though.Money doesn’t seem like the goal it’s more about advancing quests.

Yeah Graveyard Keeper is more like...a game that you play in order to beat it, instead of just playing it to have fun until you get bored. Comparing it to Factorio would make more sense

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DropsySufferer posted:

Liking this so far just working on fixing up everything in the church. It doesn’t feel so much like stardew valley though.Money doesn’t seem like the goal it’s more about advancing quests.

The one thing I wish this game had was more character customization. I want to look like an undertaker.

Yeah making cash is primarily for buying items you don't want to chase down and craft yourself

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Haha okay, I noticed that after the ghost gives you the exhumation permit and asks you to dig up the body in the bottom-right of the graveyard, the one he;s likely talking about is in a grave with no cross or fence...but also has six white skulls. So, I just ignored it and dug up a body with only one white skull and two red skulls, and everything proceeded as normal.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Haha okay, I noticed that after the ghost gives you the exhumation permit and asks you to dig up the body in the bottom-right of the graveyard, the one he;s likely talking about is in a grave with no cross or fence...but also has six white skulls. So, I just ignored it and dug up a body with only one white skull and two red skulls, and everything proceeded as normal.

Yeah, it's arguably better to just exhume the tutorial body since it's pretty terrible long-term. Hell, I didn't even exhume anyone to progress the quest - I just butchered a corpse and tossed it into the river.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Did I gently caress up by buying Cabbage, Carrot, etc seeds for the Merchant instead of just buying Carrots/Cabbage/etc? I apparently can't make a Garden Bed without having the deed to the garden first right?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xaris posted:

Did I gently caress up by buying Cabbage, Carrot, etc seeds for the Merchant instead of just buying Carrots/Cabbage/etc? I apparently can't make a Garden Bed without having the deed to the garden first right?

Getting the deed is pretty easy - talk to the tavern dude, then the merchant. You shouldn't have to pay for it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

StrixNebulosa posted:

Getting the deed is pretty easy - talk to the tavern dude, then the merchant. You shouldn't have to pay for it.
I did that but ooohh nevermind. I'm a loving dumbass and stashed it into a box since I was out of inventory space for something not realizing that's what it was.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

StrixNebulosa posted:

You don't even have to talk to the merchant if you just want access to the garden, the tavernkeep will unlock it just fine. I'm 90 days in and 500 carrots deep and I still haven't so much as glanced at the fucker.

e: I unlocked it on launch day though so this may have changed.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Nastyman posted:

You don't even have to talk to the merchant if you just want access to the garden, the tavernkeep will unlock it just fine. I'm 90 days in and 500 carrots deep and I still haven't so much as glanced at the fucker.

e: I unlocked it on launch day though so this may have changed.

ooooh you definitely wanna talk to him though, he's the one who sells you grape seeds which are how you start up your wine farm and begin rolling in the cash

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
more like Vineyard Keeper am i rite

What do i do with my stacks of brains and hearts and intestines, i went crazy culling people and then noticed they don't stack, can i get rid of them in a productive way

Also it's great that i can study those for blue skills, but i need faith to do so and to get faith i need the appropriate techs which need blue skills in the first place

edit: is there any good/non-torturous way to get lots of wood quickly? Chopping down one tree and carrying the three resulting logs back to my house takes up like 15 in-game hours on its own. I know i can push them and get multiple home at once, but it still takes foreeeever.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 25, 2018

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

HenryEx posted:

more like Vineyard Keeper am i rite

What do i do with my stacks of brains and hearts and intestines, i went crazy culling people and then noticed they don't stack, can i get rid of them in a productive way

Also it's great that i can study those for blue skills, but i need faith to do so and to get faith i need the appropriate techs which need blue skills in the first place

Yeah, early on faith is a pretty big limitation - but the more better you make your graveyard, the more people you get to show up on Sun-Day and give you faith. Building a better book to make a better prayer is also more blue points, but means you have to make the church better too

As for hearts/brains/intestines - when you unlock alchemy, you can grind them into stuff, but the only one you actually need are intestines, I never found a good use for brains or hearts.

Edit on response: I never found a good way to get trees other than hauling them. If you give it time, the wood around your house re-grows, and there's a skill you can learn to chop down the really big trees for four logs each, but it's still "go find a tree, knock it down, carry/kick logs home, wait for more". Some days are just "get all the logs" days

Edit edit again: Though that reminds me: the best early thing to do IMO is to extend your land - you'll need to do that eventually anyways, and the sooner you do it, the easier it is to get all your work stations lined up along your path so they're easy to reach and use rather than cramped behind other poo poo you have to wiggle around

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 25, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Still haven't sat down and actually played this yet (stupid MHW) but the pace of action/animation looks pretty slow from the trailer. That about right? The kind of game I'll want youtube/podcasting for?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Disheartening to hear about that logging adventure. Especially since there's tons of trees on the left side of the graveyard still i have to knock down, but walking over, knocking a tree down, lining up the logs and pushing them back home takes almost an entire day in itself.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Tree does grow back if you unroot the stamp too. Other than that, buying from wood merchant is the alternative.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

There are three machines for alchemy that break down ingredients. Each of the three non stacking organs uses a different one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dark Hearts that you can theoretically pull out of corpses are super valuable to break down but other than that its pretty much a wash.

Xaris posted:

Another note us that seeds are moderately reusable (you have a net loss of seeds if you dont use Boost fertilizer) so it is cheaper to buy seeds long term.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

Still haven't sat down and actually played this yet (stupid MHW) but the pace of action/animation looks pretty slow from the trailer. That about right? The kind of game I'll want youtube/podcasting for?

Definitely.

And a notepad. The number of times I’ve looked at components I’ve needed, walked to where I was storing those components, and then blanked on what I needed was... not small.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Definitely.

And a notepad. The number of times I’ve looked at components I’ve needed, walked to where I was storing those components, and then blanked on what I needed was... not small.

I suggest the screenshot button, if you want to be even more lazy about it. Then you can just pop open the screenshot and have a look before building more planks.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Or you could use a pen and paper. Half of the last dozen pages in my notebook are covered with stuff like "6 flitch 3 cip".

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ah, 2 + 0 is three?
Okay, i wasn't the best at math, but that seem-

(Pictured: my entire graveyard)

Uhh yeah, i think someone had an even worse time with math than i did back in school. :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I saw a claim that you can actually end up with negative red skulls on a corpse, which results in it having above-zero rating on its own before decorations, but that certainly wouldn't explain the "86" for the whole graveyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm almost positive this game isn't good but I can't stop playing.

I think they finally did it. They found the plate spinning balance that lets you progress without much impedance while still feeling like you're doing something massive and complicated. Feels like work, that you mostly want to do.

What is wrong with me.