Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ten years ago, climate scientists said it would take fifty years to get WHERE WE ARE TODAY

let that sink in. read it a few times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think if we all band together we can make this the hottest year on record.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
we'll make it so the cpu can go to 200 degrees C before turning off

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
When New Zealand floods what's going to happen to all the hobbits?

:ohdear:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my house is low lying... one of the first places to flood i reckon. need to sell up before market starts considering land height in purchases

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
might need to get liquid cooling 4 your gaming rig now

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Do you think the sheeps is tall enough for the hobbits to ride to safety?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

doing my part by eating lots of mexican and ripping hot nasty farts all day erry day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/etthq/status/1033129342740484096

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

echinopsis posted:

let that sink in

but enough about your country, op

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
climate "change" is a liberal lie, op. you can't find a single mention of it on any federal website

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

we already have a bitcoin thread op

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Bulgakov posted:

we already have a bitcoin thread op

checks out

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
climate change is neat I guess, but I prefer to pay with a card

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I'm just looking what those around me do, and I think if I post about climate change something will happen for the better.

Maybe it's more effective if posted on twitter.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Skim Milk posted:

but enough about your country, op

hey now!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I predict, that climate change will improve computers, as they’ll need less time to warm up in the morning. bookmark this post.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

computing is affecting climate change thanks to bitcoin.

it is unironically a cancer for energy usage, undoes years of policies and adaptation to shift some sorts of consumerism towards greener options, and anyone who seriously recommends bitcoin or proof-of-work mining for anything useful now raises ethical red flags

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

MononcQc posted:

computing is affecting climate change thanks to bitcoin.

it is unironically a cancer for energy usage, undoes years of policies and adaptation to shift some sorts of consumerism towards greener options, and anyone who seriously recommends bitcoin or proof-of-work mining for anything useful now raises ethical red flags

not that bitcoin isn't bad, or wasteful of energy but so is finance in general? banking in general uses lots of huge mainframes and server banks and so on. maybe we should get rid of money

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

not that bitcoin isn't bad, or wasteful of energy but so is finance in general? banking in general uses lots of huge mainframes and server banks and so on. maybe we should get rid of money

bitcoin uses more electricity than the whole of portugal for ~10 transactions per second

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
bitcoin actually has a theoretical limit of 7 tps. in practice it's somewhere between 2 and 3

the future of money

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

butters are currently making buildings a couple towns away just to house *coin farms because the electricity is cheap. i hope the city/muni fucks them :sigh:

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 25, 2018

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Computers don't need climate to survive. Ever seen The Matrix, op?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

oh, you mean plato’s The Cave? heh. yeah I’ve READ about it a time or two. :smug:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

President Beep posted:

oh, you mean plato’s The Cave? heh. yeah I’ve READ about it a time or two. :smug:

while that thai soccer team was stuck, i kept thinking about it being funny to give them all thai copies of Plato's Republic to pass the time

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

MononcQc posted:

bitcoin uses more electricity than the whole of portugal for ~10 transactions per second

u will find that the electricity isn't doing transactions but SECUREING THE NETWORK and increasing the value of bitcoin as a derivative of the cost of producing another bitcorn

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if bitcoin survives, itll only be once its value stabilises, and once you cant make money off its instability anymore, and they have to start paying for their energy usage with transcation fees etc, itll instantly die coz itll become clear how inherently inefficient it really is

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
YOSPOS: a good place to recruit for your ecoterrorist, anti-*coin extremist group?

Only if you need like 40 motherfuckers to "start the wiki"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
New windows update with spectacular desktop images showing climate “change” in action because microsoft cares

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

New windows update with spectacular desktop images showing climate “change” in action because microsoft cares

there is a 25% chance your Surface will break within 2 years. Mac breakage rate is like 10%. this company produces hella garbage, and that's not even talking about the Windows ecosystem as a whole, where they make $100 garbage tablets that go straight to the trash.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if you're interested in this topic, you should watch the film "an inconvenient knuth"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i've lived here 10 years and last year the craziest thing happened. there was a huge forest fire and the whole city was covered in smoke. it was like all-day fog, but warmer in colour. visibility was limited to only a few blocks and the usual downtown skyline and mountains were of course gone.

then it happened again this year and no one batted an eye. and it reached loving 36o.

meanwhile China reached it's climate goals 12 years early and people are saying "doesn't count, they're authoritarian" as Western countries arrest or pepper spray seniors and indigenous people for blocking pipelines.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if you're interested in this topic, you should watch the film "an inconvenient knuth"

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

prisoner of waffles posted:

YOSPOS: a good place to recruit for your ecoterrorist, anti-*coin extremist group?

Only if you need like 40 motherfuckers to "start the wiki"

:shuckyes:

ill initialize the git repository, op

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Skim Milk posted:

:shuckyes:

ill initialize the git repository, op

i’ll tell you how it’s a terrible idea and a lot of children are going to die because of it

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

ill write the README.md

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

that is honestly my favourite part of any software project

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

PleasureKevin posted:

i’ll tell you how it’s a terrible idea and a lot of children are going to die because of it

if that's the outcome then it's a bad direct action IMO

The ecoterrorist "save the planet possibly through kilodeaths or more" ethos sure sounds lovely to me

public web forums: a good place to recruit for osoroshii konsupirashii

... or is that what a cop would say? :frogsiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Not interested in being a pawn in al gores investment strategy

• Locked thread