Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

do 25 years on the 8 hr installment plan.

LOL. I used to know a CO who referred to his job this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I watch a lot of prison shows on the TV so I feel like I have a good grasp on poo poo

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

On your first day find the biggest blackest guy there is and start sucking his dick in front of everyone.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

On the second day there, find the smallest, whitest guy there and do his paperwork for him.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MightyJoe36 posted:

LOL. I used to know a CO who referred to his job this way.

Being a CO is considered the lowest of all the law enforcement jobs. I had several CO at the academy tell us the only difference between them (inmates) & you is that they got caught. Never forgot that nugget of wisdom.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I can’t speak for prisons but I installed and set up some computers in jails last year. The COs were nice to me and I was treated like I was a minor VIP. They treated inmates like they did not exist.

I was in a guard post working on a machine. The inmate is begging for help on the intercom and the guard is ignoring her busy watching cops. She gave no fucks and shut down the intercom when the inmate was too loud. She really wanted to get back to watching cops.

I only worked in the local jails a week or two but it’s bad because you can’t just leave easily and there are no windows so it’s a real oppressive work environment. I don’t know how people work there for twenty years.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 9, 2018

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

DropsySufferer posted:

. I don’t know how people work there for twenty years.

Imagine being one of the people being treated like not-humans and spending a decade or more. Then being shoved or the door with like $100 in your hand, no where to go and (a lot of times) no support system and expected to just hop into housing you can’t find and a job you can’t get.

This isn’t directed toward you personally, but that’s how incarceration is. Anyone that doesn’t know why recidivism is as high as it is needs to be witness to the justice system for 6 months

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

DropsySufferer posted:

I can’t speak for prisons but I installed and set up some computers in jails last year. The COs were nice to me and I was treated like I was a minor VIP. They treated inmates like they did not exist.

I was in a guard post working on a machine. The inmate is begging for help on the intercom and the guard is ignoring her busy watching cops. She gave no fucks and shut down the intercom when the inmate was too loud. She really wanted to get back to watching cops.

I only worked in the local jails a week or two but it’s bad because you can’t just leave easily and there are no windows so it’s a real oppressive work environment. I don’t know how people work there for twenty years.

COs are the Navy SEALs of ignoring things. There was this mentally disabled dude in my pod in county jail who fell down and had a violent seizure so I hit the button and told the guards. They said they were on their way and nobody showed up. Then they got super pissed off that I kept paging them to tell them about it. I finally ended up calling my mom on a payphone to have her call the disabled guy's mom and she did, then that lady called the jail to threaten a lawsuit - and that STILL didn't speed them up. All said must have been between thirty and forty minutes before anyone even looked at the guy.

But really it's the medical staff that's the worst of the worst. They let people die of curable illnesses all the time.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DropsySufferer posted:

... I don’t know how people work there for twenty years.

The #1 goal of all CO's is to get as far away from the inmates as soon as possible. Seniority means you can bid on jobs that will do just that. Getting a job in the visiting room is good or on the wall is even nicer, as long as you can qualify consistently on the rifle.

Walking the tiers is what new jacks do & is considered the shitiest of all jobs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
We have a lot of inmates fighting fires in California right now. They get paid like 1 or 2 bucks an hour and get to work outside. I keep hearing how good of a gig it is for someone in prison, because they are pretty choosy about who gets to do this type of work, and I keep hearing anecdotes from people who didn't actually do this in prison talking about how the prisoners really like the work and it has a positive impact on them by being able to help their communities. But I never hear of people that actually did this or how they felt about it, which makes me skeptical about how great it must be. Not to mention the fact that they can't even use the experience to become an actual firefighter,since they're a felon.

So it's kind of a paradox- you have to be well behaved and nonviolent enough to qualify as a prison firefighter but it's not good enough on the outside.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
It doesn't seem like much of a stretch to believe that someone who is going to be locked in a series of buildings for potentially decades enjoying the opportunity to work in the woods, even if it is hard work and they aren't paid much.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Panfilo posted:

We have a lot of inmates fighting fires in California right now. They get paid like 1 or 2 bucks an hour and get to work outside. I keep hearing how good of a gig it is for someone in prison, because they are pretty choosy about who gets to do this type of work, and I keep hearing anecdotes from people who didn't actually do this in prison talking about how the prisoners really like the work and it has a positive impact on them by being able to help their communities. But I never hear of people that actually did this or how they felt about it, which makes me skeptical about how great it must be. Not to mention the fact that they can't even use the experience to become an actual firefighter,since they're a felon.

So it's kind of a paradox- you have to be well behaved and nonviolent enough to qualify as a prison firefighter but it's not good enough on the outside.

I work at a state prison, adjacent to the fire station where the inmate-firemen live in between giant fuckoff forest fires, and they definitely are gung-ho about it, they have to go through a ton of poo poo to be firefighters, and they get trained constantly by actual real firemen.

Unfortunately, I get the impression that they’re given sort of a bill of goods about their future after prison, and part of their enthusiasm stems from actually feeling needed and wanted after years of being treated like poo poo inside institutions.

Personally, I think they should be paid better and have a path toward being firefighters on the outside, but I pretty much believe this about most inmates. Give ‘em some job skills where they at least have a chance to get out and stay out.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
My good friend did 10 years and worked on a farm in Ohio, and he speaks fondly of doing lovely, hard labor dairy farm poo poo . The other poster is correct. Resigning yourself to believe you aren’t going to touch grass for x years, then to be given a chance like that is welcome for many. The guards were more lenient on farm workers, knowing they had worked at earning that position for months or years. Working on the farm also got you special housing , bigger meals and a (pitiful) income.

Which makes Ohio having a ‘fire sale’ and auctioning off all their farm operations even more infuriating. The farms supplied all the milk and dairy for every prison in Ohio, but not only that.. they almost always had a surplus, which meant donated fresh milk for schools and non-profits . But someone higher up decided that farming wasn’t a worthwhile skill to learn, and instead the guys should be learning I.T.

Oh yeah, and the powers that be made quick bank, but tax payers got absolutely hosed. Both in how under value the items were sold for, and how we went from paying operating costs for milk, to having a contract to buy $2.6 million yearly

Sorry for that derail. I’m still pretty pissed about the whole thing . The farm was a huge motivator for the guys and the service they provided was great for everyone.

Beside that, the milk was the best I have ever had. It came in single serving, clear plastic pouches and was just fantastic

e; Oh.. and this all literally happened overnight. $8.9 million in upgrades were already started (some even completed) and construction at LCI and MCI had already begun when they decided to scrap the whole thing

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 13, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They really should change their licensing to make it easier for convicts to transition to being actual firefighters when they get out. But I doubt this will happen because the non felons trying to apply for those jobs will have a fit that they got passed up because some ex con firefighter got the job.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Panfilo posted:

They really should change their licensing to make it easier for convicts to transition to being actual firefighters when they get out. But I doubt this will happen because the non felons trying to apply for those jobs will have a fit that they got passed up because some ex con firefighter got the job.

People that aren't convicts and applied for the job (firefighter) after being EMTs for years are stuck on waiting lists that are 2-5+ years long; there's zero chance these guys will be firefighters on the outside ever.

At least that's how it is in Illinois, in more populated cities/suburbs, not sure about other states.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MF_James posted:

People that aren't convicts and applied for the job (firefighter) after being EMTs for years are stuck on waiting lists that are 2-5+ years long; there's zero chance these guys will be firefighters on the outside ever.

At least that's how it is in Illinois, in more populated cities/suburbs, not sure about other states.

Wildland firefighting is a totally different animal and the people that do it are largely not the same group as people waiting to work at the firehouse in a city or town. It is also seasonal and regional, but compared to what an ex-con is going to make at whatever job doesn't do background checks they may still come out ahead on working fire crew a few months a year and doing day labor the rest of the year.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

therobit posted:

Wildland firefighting is a totally different animal and the people that do it are largely not the same group as people waiting to work at the firehouse in a city or town. It is also seasonal and regional, but compared to what an ex-con is going to make at whatever job doesn't do background checks they may still come out ahead on working fire crew a few months a year and doing day labor the rest of the year.

I didn't realize that, but it does make sense, I assume they do have regular town/city firefighters there as well alongside the wildland firefighters? I mean it seems the local city/town firefighters that are threatened by said brush fires would be sent out to work alongside the other guys.

Anyway, the person I was responding to was saying that they should have an easy path to being "actual firefighters" when they're out, so I assume they meant a regular career firefighter that would be stationed in a town/city.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

MF_James posted:

I didn't realize that, but it does make sense, I assume they do have regular town/city firefighters there as well alongside the wildland firefighters? I mean it seems the local city/town firefighters that are threatened by said brush fires would be sent out to work alongside the other guys.

Anyway, the person I was responding to was saying that they should have an easy path to being "actual firefighters" when they're out, so I assume they meant a regular career firefighter that would be stationed in a town/city.

I doubt that regular firefighters are out on the fire lines because they are usually more remote than where you want your town firefighters to be if there is a fire in town. That said, every summer there is a shortage of wildland firefighters in the west. Last summer we had crews from Australia helping out in Oregon. I think they should give non-arsonist ex felons a chance, since we have work release people doing it also.

therobit fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 16, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Don't urban firefighters spend far more time doing EMT-style first responding than they do actually fighting fires?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Don't urban firefighters spend far more time doing EMT-style first responding than they do actually fighting fires?

Yes, that's why, generally, firefights have a lot of EMT experience, it gives you a leg up on competition.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I live in one of the more rural States in the Northeast (New Hampshire) and our firefighters spend more time on overdose mitigation than anything else these days.

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.
I heard you can get drugs dropped in via drones now so it can't be all that bad.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It's been mentioned before in this thread, but it can't be emphazised enough just how important it is to enter the oildome.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Christoph posted:

COs are the Navy SEALs of ignoring things. There was this mentally disabled dude in my pod in county jail who fell down and had a violent seizure so I hit the button and told the guards. They said they were on their way and nobody showed up. Then they got super pissed off that I kept paging them to tell them about it. I finally ended up calling my mom on a payphone to have her call the disabled guy's mom and she did, then that lady called the jail to threaten a lawsuit - and that STILL didn't speed them up. All said must have been between thirty and forty minutes before anyone even looked at the guy.

But really it's the medical staff that's the worst of the worst. They let people die of curable illnesses all the time.

It's because some inmates are good at lying and manipulating and playing minds games to get what they want. It's either because they are criminals there because of it or addicts playing the "why are you being a dick, man?" guilt card. COs have to shut that poo poo down right away, unless it's in policy (and an inmate having a seizure counts but some will fake it) and responded to accordingly. Not only that but if a CO gets a reputation of being a "good guy" for responding to requests rather than obeying policy a unit can go to hell with inmates grinding that CO hard or refusing to obey other COs.

It's really classic Boy Who Cried Wolf Syndrome.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

When people leave prison, don't they mostly give away their prison stuff to their cellmates or friends?

Guy on facebook marketplace is selling his 'prison tv', one of those clear see-through types. I'm sure he paid way too much for it from the prison store, but why would you want to take such a tiny crappy tv with you when get out?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Blackchamber posted:

When people leave prison, don't they mostly give away their prison stuff to their cellmates or friends?

Guy on facebook marketplace is selling his 'prison tv', one of those clear see-through types. I'm sure he paid way too much for it from the prison store, but why would you want to take such a tiny crappy tv with you when get out?

Memories!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

Presumably because they think they can sell it on Ebay to an idiot who thinks it's edgy and cool to own a prison TV.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

therobit posted:

Presumably because they think they can sell it on Ebay to an idiot who thinks it's edgy and cool to own a prison TV.

I hope he can so he can recoup part of the initial cost - the markup on prison commissary items is huge.

For a memento, I saved my $55 Timex watch (with custom leatherwork strap!)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Christoph posted:

I hope he can so he can recoup part of the initial cost - the markup on prison commissary items is huge.

For a memento, I saved my $55 Timex watch (with custom leatherwork strap!)

I'm sure he will be able to sell it and I bet he really needs the money so I hope he makes a good profit.

therobit fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 27, 2018

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

It's still up for sale for $50.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
On the first day find the biggest meanest guy in the place and offer to gently caress him in the rear end. For all you know he may be a power bottom and is plain tired of all the new dudes trying to suck his dick.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there any truth to the "don't drop your soap" jokes? Do they even still use soap bars?

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Is there any truth to the "don't drop your soap" jokes? Do they even still use soap bars?

Everywhere I was at had single-person shower booths with doors or curtains. Some of them still had multi-person showers in certain units, but by common agreement only one dude would use it at a time.

When dropping the soap, the main issue is that the shower booths doubled also masturbatoriums. So the floors...

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Vegetable posted:

Rape in prison is far, far overblown and only inmates with severe sexual deviancies (and segged for everyone's safety) do it. The old saying of "it's to establish dominance" or some crap is why beatings and stabbings exist behind bars. The shower beatings you hear about in film/TV are because the fights always, always happen some place where the inmates know there are no cameras and they all know where the blind spots are. Obviously the showers often don't have cameras so they exist there out of convenience but some prisons have them pointed at shower doors so it's off to the one cell in a blind spot if someone gets a beating over a debt.

Soap bars still exist and "don't drop the soap" is beyond unfunny in jail because inmates hate rapists.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Justin Godscock posted:

Rape in prison is far, far overblown and only inmates with severe sexual deviancies (and segged for everyone's safety) do it. The old saying of "it's to establish dominance" or some crap is why beatings and stabbings exist behind bars. The shower beatings you hear about in film/TV are because the fights always, always happen some place where the inmates know there are no cameras and they all know where the blind spots are. Obviously the showers often don't have cameras so they exist there out of convenience but some prisons have them pointed at shower doors so it's off to the one cell in a blind spot if someone gets a beating over a debt.

Soap bars still exist and "don't drop the soap" is beyond unfunny in jail because inmates hate rapists.

The CO i used to know said basically the same thing: while it still exists, it's way less common than everybody on the outside makes it out to be.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

What's more common is the type of rape where it's trusted people in your social group like cellmates or friends of friends who are the perpetrators. Which is, from what I understand, how it mostly happens outside of prison as well.

The authorities make a big deal about PREA (featuring ubiquitous posters that say "NO MEANS NO and yes is not allowed") and inspections and so forth to make sure there are no zones with rape-enabling amenities (I was never clear on exactly what those were) and, at least in low-security federal prisons, when someone makes a formal complaint that they've been raped the suspected rapist is GONE. They ship them off to somewhere else and, in one case that I saw, the FBI even showed up and charged the guy within prison.

Consensual gay sex is pretty universal. If your prison has a softball field do not look in the dugout.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
What reference is the find the biggest guy and suck him off from? Google only giving me gay porn.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

What reference is the find the biggest guy and suck him off from? Google only giving me gay porn.

The old conventional wisdom was that you should identify the biggest, hardest guy on the yard and kick his rear end the first day you are in prison so that everyone knows not to gently caress with you. This is hilariously dumb advice. "Find the biggest guy and suck him off" is a joke about that.

therobit fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 5, 2018

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

therobit posted:

The old conventional wisdom was that you should identify the biggest, hardest guy on the yard and kick his rear end the first day you are in prison so that everyone knows not to gently caress with you. This is hilariously dumb advice. "Find the biggest city and stick him off" is a joke about that.

I know that, but I thought it was a quote from a movie since fifteen posts in this thread autonomously said the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

I know that, but I thought it was a quote from a movie since fifteen posts in this thread autonomously said the exact same thing.

Seems like a line that should be in a Kevin Smith movie.