Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
This movie has everything going against it. It's clear that Rian Johnson took the "let's do the opposite of whatever people wanted to SUBVERT IT" concept too far, breaking many rules of the SW universe in the process. The plot has threads that go nowhere and I think that's totally intentional just to gently caress with us. Having the Resistance as such a small entity feels weak and robs a lot of the triumph from earlier movies, again probably for the same reason.

In spite of all that, I actually love this movie. I really enjoyed the revelations about Rey, I enjoyed how Snoke was handled, and I thought Kylo's arc made sense and had some great set pieces to tie it together. The environments were imaginative (minus obnoxious exposition like "it's SALT!") and I thought the strange storytelling created an interestingly frustrating tension that felt fresh and enjoyable as long as I was able to keep my fanboy brain from tying in a knot. The Yoda scenes were especially fun for me. The lightspeed attack especially irritates people but the sound and visuals were so amazing to me that I can't help but love it.

I get why many (most [nearly all]) big fans of Star Wars loathe this movie. I also really enjoyed it, and I hope the challenge of its setup makes JJ's finale less by-the-numbers than TFA. I think if you know it's going to piss you off going into it and just relax, you might just really enjoy the ride.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU