Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

frunksock posted:

* Not an AR-15 (they're saying handgun)
* 'Only' two victims killed, both adults

Part of me is fearful they'd take those two facts and use them against AR-15 ownership, along the lines of "if it HAD been an AR-15..."

True story:
When I was a kid I took a reproduction medieval flail to a D&D session.
(Nobody died)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017
NRA shill who thinks homeless people would love to live in migrant border camps. Help me realize I am a bigoted piece of shit.

Monolith. posted:

Well, Sky Shark isn't wrong. It's already illegal to kill people and as mentioned previously, MD has some strict gun laws on the books. It's very sad that people died and it's too bad they didn't get the creep alive.

Nothing of value was lost by him offing himself.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Surely this is the answer

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Marvin K. Mooney posted:

This doesn't have anything to do with gun control.

It certainly doesn't now. The original story most certainly had to do with gun violence protest.
They managed to use the same web link for the "updated" story that rather removed the whole "protesting gun violence" part.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Marvin K. Mooney posted:

The only time the word "gun" is used is by the author, not the protestors. If this is the thread to talk about Chicago's enormous racial inequality, we should probably update the OP.

a) enough with the backseat moderating
b) the entire article is different since when I linked it prior to the protest

The original article was about the upcoming protest about gun violence. God only knows why they swapped it completely out for the post protest piece with the same link.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Steeltalon posted:

A new anti gun hit piece. This time targeting the CMP and it's a doozy of abject stupidity featuring 99% filler and 1% headline. Because you have to make your Op-ed look like actual journalism.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ayers-foot-bill

The seething hatred in that piece. Tears, so delish.

quote:

If CMP accomplishes this mission, every child touched by its outreach programs will do his or her part to participate in gun culture across the country for decades to come. And we, the people, will have helped pay for it, regardless of our views on guns, through the highly unusual gift of second-hand military rifles and pistols.

If anything taxpayers SAVED money, not having to pay someone to chop up the surplus being returned to the US.

edit: Holy poo poo the picture of the evil santa claus...

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at Sep 5, 2018 around 17:56

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I mean it's fine if you guys don't believe Hasselblad in this instance, but that doesn't change the fact that this kind of edit does take place without any editorial note with increasing frequency. That's all I was commenting on.

I am cool with folks posting that for some reason they believe I am making it up. (why the hell would I do so?)
My ignore list just ticked up a couple times is all. Not going to engage it.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Dick's seems to be doing fine, although it looks like most of their business isn't really guns. I wonder if they will just drop shooting altogether eventually?

Even 15 years ago when I worked at DSG Corporate they were never really that into the firearm side of things. They were much more focused on clothing and golf gear.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at Sep 5, 2018 around 20:26

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

BeAuMaN posted:

Does CMP receive any federal money apart from receiving and disposing of old military firearms?

There were no controls? What does this even mean? I have a sneaking suspicion that this comment is out of context... the closest thing that I can recall related to this is that CMP usually transfers firearms (usually rifles) to collectors who have FFL03/C&R Collector Licenses (along with meeting various other requirements set by CMP)... however the Army, specifically for the 1911 handguns, required that CMP have all 1911 handguns processed through dealers; no direct sales to customers with collectors licenses. In which case this comment makes sense if Eric Fanning was explaining why the army instituted that requirement that they be sent to and processed to firearm dealers only... but it completely lacks this context. I can't imagine what other controls he could be talking about, and given the tone of the article, I'm not exactly one to believe charitably that the author just misinterpreted the statement.

That's what I vaguely remember as hubbub around the new 1911s being released since people don't want to have to pay additional dealer fees, though I don't keep up with CMP much since it's pretty pricey and I'm pretty tapped out from the recent CA AWB.

also

I don't know who on "our streets" is using original 1911s and M1 Rifles, but whoever that is would be one dapper criminal. Hipster gangsters perhaps? Is that a thing?

$1050 USGI 1911s are 2x as lethal as a $500 commercial 1911, due to the previously blood spilt in the anger of war. They were even more made solely to kill people.

Or something

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

This brings up the point that people will pay way above market value for these 1911s. That'd be a hell of a good way for the government to make back money on its investment. But instead we hand them out for free to a savvy private organization and let them make all that money back on the taxpayers' dime.

They not at all above market value. Non of your taxes are used to convince the foreign countries to give them up, or to pay for getting them back here, nor storage of them. Unless you are 100 or so years old and your actual taxes went into the World War efforts.

ďThe taxpayersĒ are having no dimes affected.

The government was quite literally chopping them up before the DCM convinced them to allow them to be used for a good cause, which cost the government less than it did disposing of them.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at Sep 6, 2018 around 13:19

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

SimonCat posted:

A funnier example is the M9 lost at Camp Arifjan last fall.

I have to wonder how many meetings there were to debate what to change STDs to before they chose STIs.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

But the CMP isnít doing the government a financial favor.

The government was literally spending money to get weapons returned and more money to render them down into scrap. This is merely the government allowing a sanctioned non-profit program to spend their endowment funds to get the rifles and sell them to support their own programs which educate youth, challenges via competitions, and supply small bore firearms to associate programs. Sorry, but I count helping the government to not spend money as a "Financial Favor". Those that purchase from the CMP know that the proceeds WILL go directly toward those programs and causes. God only knows what the government would do with the proceeds if THEY held the reins. Assuming they didn't just go back to Captain Crunch. The system was set up quite a long time ago by the DCM and works pretty well, nicely protects it from administrations that are not so firearm friendly. Can you say the same if the government was in control of it?

It really sounds like you have a beef with the CMP specifically.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at Sep 6, 2018 around 17:01

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Akion posted:

So does CMP actually pay .gov for the guns or is it just given to them? Cause I could see even something as simple as:

.gov: "Hi we will sell you Garands for $50/ea regardless of condition"
CMP: "Okai"
CMP: "Hey world! We have Garands for $50+X, Y, or Z depending on condition".

Gov't gets $50/gun which is cheaper than storing/scrapping, CMP gets $50+ markup per gun to fund their stuff. It's better than the Government trying to sell them piecemeal which takes a ton more resources and costs a lot more. I realize there is a subset of the population that will always want "WEAPONS OF WAR!!!1!" melted down regardless of cost but there's also people that want to drown the government in a bathtub and they're all idiots who should be ignored.

Or we could just give them all to the CIA and let them arm militias who surely won't be our enemies next week. It's worked well before, right?

The rifles the CMP receives were ones loaned to other countries. Basically the CMP foots the bill for transport, storage, inspection, staff, etc. The government simply stays out of the way. Gov funds are not used and the guns are not "bought" from the countries returning them. The ones that importers get a hold of and "buy" from the countries are ones that the countries bought from us.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

A better purely fiscal solution is sell the guns and government keeps the money, the same way we do with old sleeping bags, trucks, safes, and so on.

Using "better fiscal solution" and "government" in the same sentence?

In the grand scheme of things, what a hill to die upon. Especially when we shovel zillions of to other countries just to keep them friendly toward us.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

Again, giving away goods for free isnít ďstaying out of the way.Ē Itís actively giving away US Government-purchased materiel for free.

One can support the CMP 100% while still acknowledging that the CMP is subsidized by the government giving them goods for free that the CMP then resells to cover its costs and fund its endowment.

If I give you a car for free and you sell it, technically I didnít give you money. I just very obviously gave you goods for free that are worth money that you turned into money.

The solution you desire is to jump in the wayback machine to 1903 and convince the congress to create their own apparatus to reacquire these small arms, inspect them, store them, and sell them, rather than continuing Captain Crunch, or heaven forbid allow an organization like DCM that supports 2A and associated programs to do so.

mlmp08 posted:

Yes, Iíve said drat near every other post that there are way bigger expenses out there. And an argument to be made that the US Government subsidizing the CMP via donations of materiel is worth it.

Iím simply pointing out that itís false to state that the government doesnít subsidize the CMP by giving them, for free, government-purchased goods to sell.

Who has stated that it is not a subsidy? Outside of rare (mostly non existent) circumstances, the government does not have the small arms in their possession to "give" to the CMP.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at Sep 6, 2018 around 19:41

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Proper Kerni ng posted:

The School Shootings That Weren't

The biggest surprise in the article is that Everytown only claimed 29 for the period in question, given their penchant for hyperbole and hysteria.

That article reads like a SAT problem.

- nearly 240 schools ... reported at least 1 incident
- more than two-thirds of these reported incidents never happened
- We were able to confirm just 11 reported incidents (1 in 21.81 equals 1/3? )
- In 161 cases, schools or districts attested that no incident took place or couldn't confirm one
- In at least four cases... something did happen
- About a quarter of schools didn't respond

My head hurts trying to work all of that out. Does not help that they jump back and forth between typing numbers and spelling numbers out. "More than" and "At Least" are not very helpful either.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at Sep 10, 2018 around 14:49

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Sten Freak posted:

Levi Strauss is fully committing to gun control .

In fairness, the "support nonprofits and youth activists who are working to end gun violence" may mean they are committed to arming one side of the gang violence to wipe out the other, thus reducing the future gun violence. Since the people they would shoot would already be dead.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Butch Cassidy posted:

Things in this town are out of control. Two gangs is just one too many. I'm not an idealist. I know a lot of things that people do are awful low, but that's between them and God.

Do you believe in God? I believe in God, son. But what I'm concerned with is keeping a lid on things, and what we got here in Jericho is just way out of hand, and Sheriff Galt, here, can't do much about it, right? Matter of fact, it might be fair to say that he's part of the problem, right?

Now you been going back and forth, playing both sides according to Mr. Galt, here, making yourself a lot of money out of all this. Well, it's over, son. I'm coming back here in ten days, and I'm gonna bring about twenty rangers with me. I will tolerate one gang, because that is the nature of things. A certain amount of corruption is inevitable. But if I find two gangs here when I get back, then in a couple of hours there will be no gangs here.

So it's simple. One gang quits and goes home. You boys work it out. I don't give a drat which one.

[source desired]

Part of me thinks I should know what that is from.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/levis-gun-control/

No you see, I'm not anti-1A, I just think it should be heavily regulated according to my hot take.

I really don't think saying you are 'anti 2A' will really change anyone's view on your position on either side of the debate.

To be honest Levi's denim has gone downhill in a big way over the past decade. Thinner and shrinks like a motherfucker now. Have been getting mine from Eddie Bauer of late. I would boycott if they were a company worth boycotting at this point. Already gone.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Captain Log posted:

Oooh, haven't looked at those. Are they in stores anywhere?

Unfortunately, anything 36x30 or bigger makes the clothes company assume you are really, really chubby.

I'm a 36x36

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Kurnugia posted:

Got a question for all the American NRA members here. If the NRA is constantly accused of doing weird racist poo poo, why don't you people join or found an organization that doesn't do the uh... klu klux klan tank engine tv segment stuff?

I am a member and god damnit will remain a member till I am on the wrong side of the grass.
Lifetime Membership

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

Iím that case focus on the underlying issues and not how itís going to be a can of worms that she was undergoing hormone treatments.

I suspect the potential can of worms part might be some questioning if being transgendered is a mental issue.

To wit:

SpartanIvy posted:

Guess what a lot of conservatives believe to be a mental health issue: gender dysphoria

So it would become an easy "win" for republicans to say "Hey look we support common sense gun control" and pass a law that disarms transitioning individuals.

Bringing politics into it is pretty laughable, and makes the discussion a fail before it would even begin.
Should one want a can of worms.
Which we don't want.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at Sep 23, 2018 around 15:00

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Sperglord Actual posted:

Not empty quoting.

Well, it COULD have been a hatred of line dancing.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Sperglord Actual posted:

Are active shooter drills in schools doing more harm than good? I'm inclined to say yes but I'm curious what others here think.

quote:

Thereís scant evidence that theyíre effective.
Couldn't possibly be that school shootings are somewhat rare. Just spitballing though.
I bet the nuke drills back in the day had similar scant evidence of effectiveness.

Better question given recent history is if LEO active shooter training is effective.

Shaocaholica posted:

Airsoft? Slingshot? Nerf? Sports ball used as a missile?

Thank goodness we managed to do away with Jarts.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at Feb 6, 2019 around 20:56

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/20/6964...cale-rarely-see

The picture leading off the story looks tame compared to the typical goon collection.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

The difference between tame and untame isnít inanimate guns. Itís the white supremacy and writings about domestic terrorism.

Did I imply that the part about "white supremacy and writings about domestic terrorism" was something I was not viewing as concerning?
Could you please simply read my posts for what they are rather than what you would like them to be?

This is indeed a gun forum, and seeing a cache of weapons consisting largely of .22LR rifles and shotguns (not to mention the camo packs) is something worth pointing at and laughing. At what point does the average gun owner become guilty of "stockpiling weapons"?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at Feb 21, 2019 around 16:07

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

I didn't read anything he did as implying that you weren't concerned with it. You left that info out of your post and he highlighted it as something troubling in the poo poo they found.

Not every interaction has to be adversarial, not every reply is a rebuttal.

It is when it is doubled down on by someone habitually adversarial:

mlmp08 posted:

Then again, talking poo poo about a not-so big/quality collection is still kind of funny. Itís a bit like hearing about a car chase and then taking a time out to start talking poo poo about the criminalís cheap tires and stock suspension.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Numlock posted:

When we should just kill all the Nazis like our great grandparents did.

We could go around killing all members of every group that wishes death upon groups of other people, that would leave a lot less people on this planet.

It would be nice if people would take a few steps back, a few deep breaths, and reflect on the hypocrisy of a lot of statements being tossed about.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at Mar 15, 2019 around 15:57

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Numlock posted:

So your saying kill the Nazis and Iíll also save the enviroment? Sounds win win to me.

No, what I am saying is that there should not be calls to literally kill entire groups you do not like due to the actions of extremists of those groups. Seeing the hypocrisy yet?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Apparently the statement: "there should not be calls to literally kill entire groups you do not like due to the actions of extremists of those groups" equates to "defending nazis" and is a "hot take".

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

McNally posted:

Because the statement was made in response to someone saying "kill all Nazis." Don't pretend like your words were taken hugely out of context because they weren't.

Where did I pretend any such thing?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Numlock posted:

Dude we are talking about Nazis and terrorists not Redheads or people who prefer Pork BBQ over Beef BBQ.

And my statement is about every single human. Pretty sure that was clear:
there should not be calls to literally kill entire groups you do not like due to the actions of extremists of those groups

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

McNally posted:

"Whoa hey that's going too far" in response to "kill all nazis" is going to be interpreted as a defense of nazis, however.

In fairness, with the current tone of the thread, anything less than running along with the stampede and screeching along is going to be automatically viewed as nazi sympathizing.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Just heard a blurb on the BBC from a politician in NZ that said the guy was licensed to have the firearms (If I heard it correctly) so the gun laws WILL now be changed.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm honestly interested in seeing how another country handles this kind of thing. Hopefully as a positive example to both the for and against groups in the US.

Initial stuff points toward more gun restrictions. So basically the same way so far.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

They want to die martyrs in a field of their enemies' bodies not splattered all over their own garage cause butterfingers dropped a detonator or in prison after their deviously planted string of pipe boms fail to explode. The trendsetters who kicked off the fad at Columbine originally intended to herd everyone together and set off a massive bomb but their internet-honed terrorism skills just left them with a cloud of stinky gas, just shooting people still worked dandy for a couple of halfwit sociopaths tho. Most homemade bombs fare about same.

guns are absolutely the microwave dinner of mass murder and nothing else compares in ability for any schlubbo to go from zero to double-digit bodycount with no effort. That's why theres an amendment about making sure people have them, that's why no infantry in the world is running around with vials of poison instead of a rifle, and it's not because the media is just arbitrarily obsessed with the thing that looks kinda like a dick

If the enemy was gathered around in a large crowd celebrating christmas, a rented truck looks to be a viable option. Especially as renting a truck may raise less red flags as purchasing a firearm might.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

Why would a white supremacist targeting Muslims attack a Christmas event? Yeah, I know, Muslims consider Jesus a profit, but that's an odd target for a Nazi targeting Muslims.

Wow, way to miss the point of the post. Did you even glance at what I was replying to before hitting keys?
Here, let me help you out:

quote:

guns are absolutely the microwave dinner of mass murder and nothing else compares in ability for any schlubbo to go from zero to double-digit bodycount with no effort.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at Mar 16, 2019 around 01:37

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

And likewise, my point was that terror/hate weapon of choice is HIGHLY situational. The attack in Nice, FRA took advantage of a particular holiday and geography to use a truck to devastating effect.

But in the most common-place "gently caress it, let's do it next week" type attacks, guns reign supreme. On any given Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, you have your pick of tightly packed, in-door (harder to hit with trucks), Muslims, Jews, and Christians at worship, respectively.

Any raging rear end in a top hat can go to a school or church or concert on essentially zero-notice with a gun. That makes it pretty easy. Stuff like truck/bomb attacks are usually from much more highly coordinated types. That's why you'll see ISIS on the battlefield using coordinated attacks with drones, VBIEDs, and firearms, but some dumbass White Power kid will just wander into a place of worship with a gun and blast people.

So yes, they are the microwave dinner of terror. A carefully prepared feast by a chef may be more impressive, but any chucklefuck can make some totino's pizza rolls and/or shoot up a small space with a gun.

Feel free to continue the discussion without me, as no matter how specific I am in responding to a specific post, you are just going to continue to strawman the gently caress out of it.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Odd that TFR gets the blame for the "bad" avatars, when the poster also posts in cspan and D&D.
Red texts are dumb, and discussing them is dumb.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Numlock posted:

conservative ideology

As a conservative, reading stuff like this and others tossing "the right" and "right wing" into their posts about hating nazis is getting kind of old. Conservative does not equate to white supremacy and fascist. Seriously, that poo poo can stay in cspan in the idiocy of the huey p newton gun club thread.

Nazis are bad
People who kill groups of people because they do not like them are bad
Extremists are bad, no matter the group

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at Mar 17, 2019 around 15:17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

It is absolutely true that the vast majority of conservatives are not nazis or even nazi-adjacent. But itís still true that Naziism is a conservative ideology. Human language isnít perfect, especially when you donít feel like prefacing every statement with a manuscript about the history of politics. Communist terror groups have leftist ideology, after all.

And unfortunately for more reasonable conservatives, right wing extremists will often masquerade as ďreasonableĒ to help with recruitment or protect themselves from criticism or law enforcement.

Frankly, the mainstream conservative establishment is happy to look the other way all too often when they pick up allies who happen to be white supremacists or fascists. See: currently seated rep Steve King of Iowa. And Scalise, who once described himself as David Duke ďwithout the baggage.Ē And the handwringing about the dangers of as-of-yet nonlethal Antifa street-fights when right wing extremists have been murdering people and committing terror attacks.

Not so subtle sniping at your rival party is probably better kept in cspan than in TFR. That's all I am saying.
You guys are already posting at length there, why import the drama? If the "vast majority of conservatives are not nazis or even nazi-adjacent", then knock off the "right wing, the right, conservative" bullshit.

«2 »