Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Here's my list of true rear end sports facts:

Djokovic is juicing
Everyone is juicing
Serena is a petulant child
The Longhorns will be lucky to finish 3-9
Men's grand slams finals are a best of 5 scoring system.
Djokovic doesn't need gluten due to the super soldier serum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He is 69 years old and winning Grand Slams

He's 31 though? Which is the age Pete Sampras and Jimmy Connors won the U.S. Open, unless those two were doping too?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Puckish Rogue posted:

Here's my list of true rear end sports facts:

Djokovic is juicing
Everyone is juicing
Serena is a petulant child
The Longhorns will be lucky to finish 3-9
Men's grand slams finals are a best of 5 scoring system.
Djokovic doesn't need gluten due to the super soldier serum.

Agreed.
Agreed except my good lad Kei.
Agreed.
Agreed.
Agreed.
Agreed the Serbian government is funding his doping program for sure. Almost as bad as Spain.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PostNouveau posted:

He's 31 though? Which is the age Pete Sampras and Jimmy Connors won the U.S. Open, unless those two were doping too?

Americans don't dope except Serena which is why they never win anything anymore.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Good on the boffins in Spain for destroying all those blood samples so Djokovic's evil henchmen couldn't get hold of them and discover the secrets for his own doping regime.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

they're doping, the entire ATP/WTA is doping, everyone's doping, even us

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It would be one thing if old people just kept winning, but it's a little different when they're dominate these long rallies that are a lot more common in tennis now where they run around forever and never get tired either in the point or in the match and keep getting better at it as they cross into their 30s.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Acquilae posted:

they're doping, the entire ATP/WTA is doping, everyone's doping, even us

Just because I'm doping to keep up this high level of posting doesn't mean everyone is

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Bardeh posted:

Also, does anyone have any interesting articles on doping? Are the top players not tested a lot? It kinda registered as weird that Federer and Williams etc are still dominating well into their mid-30's, but doping is obviously never mentioned in mainstream tennis coverage.

E: I found a decent one from last year by Marina Hyde:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/sep/13/tennis-drug-cheats-anti-doping

So basically they test just enough to say 'look we test' but don't have any particular desire to really stop players doping.

Serena called the cops on a drug tester that showed up at her house.

https://nypost.com/2011/11/02/serena-williams-locks-herself-in-panic-room-in-drug-test-mix-up/

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

cursed thread title

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Without any serious rival (so long Stan), Djokovic is just going to blow through Federer's trophy count and be proclaimed the GOAT. Not happy with this and don't really know why.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

quote:

Former professional chair umpire Richard Ings has revealed the Portuguese official was paid the princely sum of $633 for taking charge of the Osaka-Williams encounter.

That’s only a shade more than the $548 that 23-time grand slam winner Williams earned every second she was on court while losing 6-2 6-4.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tenni...74dfc58b0f5ecb8

Seems worth all the trouble

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I imagine he's going to get a hell of a lot more from the WTA given their statement today. ..

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

I am still super mad at this US Open finals outrage.

Djokovic winning again.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Even if you agree with the WTA and the double-standard assertion, I don’t understand why anyone would ultimately empathize with Serena here. Surely the solution is to penalize more men for abusing umpires, rather than to allow everyone to abuse umpires? Unless you enjoy watching unprofessional petulant tantrums because you somehow think it shows “fire” or “strength”. The umpires shouldn’t need to tolerate harassment at work.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

If some jerk tennis star shouted at me whilst I'm working I would be unbelievably annoyed.

Therefore, the chair ref is in the right.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

runoverbobby posted:

Even if you agree with the WTA and the double-standard assertion, I don’t understand why anyone would ultimately empathize with Serena here. Surely the solution is to penalize more men for abusing umpires, rather than to allow everyone to abuse umpires? Unless you enjoy watching unprofessional petulant tantrums because you somehow think it shows “fire” or “strength”. The umpires shouldn’t need to tolerate harassment at work.

people frequently get dinged for yelling at umpires, it's just rare for someone to do it for their third violation of the match because that would be dumb to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wheres the tennis thread

• Locked thread