Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I remember Osaka playing at I think Charleston a few months ago and she was just an emotional mess and melted down every mis-hit it is amazing how well she turned it around.

And yeah no one gets that coaching penalty called on them and gets a loving game penalty in a major finals, especially not the best player in the sport's history, unless you are 'angry' and not white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

nachos posted:

Serena at least told the crowd to shut the gently caress up and stop booing during the trophy presentation

This was awesome Serena is awesome

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
As far as the full game penalty I can’t remember the last time that happened in a major match with a top tier player man or woman. Major head cases like Safin or someone I can’t even recall. It’s pretty wild.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Spring Break My Heart posted:

That's really loving stupid, dude.

It's the truth. I knew someone would come back with a blistering "BUT THAT'S NOT HOW IT SHOULD BE!", but it is, and it happens all the time. The ump inserted himself into the match, and as a result, he took away from Osaka's accomplishment.

It's not fair to Osaka at all, because she was more than a match for Serena. Bad feelings all around.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bardeh posted:

gently caress the crowd, though, seriously. How loving classless can you get? Completely spoiled the moment for Osaka. Also, whether or not the warning was justified (kinda seems like it was, seeing as the coach admitted to coaching...) Williams didn't act professionally at all and brought everything after the initial warning on herself.

Yeah that dumb as hell, even if Serena wasn't asking for coaching he legitimized that penalty by saying that.

nachos posted:

Serena at least told the crowd to shut the gently caress up and stop booing during the trophy presentation

Yeah Serena still owns, don't get me wrong.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: The post-game crew is saying the men curse at the umps and don't get warnings? That's pretty hosed up

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

She beat Serena.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: The post-game crew is saying the men curse at the umps and don't get warnings? That's pretty hosed up

Did McEnroe ever get a game penalty for cursing at umpires for literally hours

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
A contemporary example is Djokovic. He has yelled at refs a lot.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Naomi Osaka won the US open while playing great. Did you know she's tall

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ah he got completely thrown out of the Australian Open once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2rjocv-Jo

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

e: beaten.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He literally got ejected from the 1990 Australian Open for swearing at the umpire. (edit: Beaten twice...)

In general men do swear at umpires sometimes, but it generally isn't as long and sustained of an argument. Most players argue, but know when to drop it or tone it down. A game penalty is crazy heavy handed for a final though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

soggybagel posted:

He beats the hell out of his rackets, too.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Bjorn Borg literally ate his racquet and then projectile shat the pieces into the surprised mouth of Lord Tennis, the founder of tennis, and didn't even get a penalty

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Djokovic gets violations constantly he's just not dumb enough to get 3 in the space of about 10 minutes. There's no sport where you can talk to a referee/umpire like that and expect not to get punished. Its the height of entitlement to ask the umpire to apologise for a decision, especially in this case when the coach even admitted to coaching after the event.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Vengarr posted:

It's the truth. I knew someone would come back with a blistering "BUT THAT'S NOT HOW IT SHOULD BE!", but it is, and it happens all the time. The ump inserted himself into the match, and as a result, he took away from Osaka's accomplishment.

It's not fair to Osaka at all, because she was more than a match for Serena. Bad feelings all around.
She's some crazy person who's been training 16 hours a day since she was 3 years old and just achieved her dream where she demonstrably outplayed her idol and won many millions of dollars with millions more to come. The idea that this'll affect her at all come next year is lunacy. Clijsters won in 2009 against Serena in similar circumstances and get this; it did not affect her at all.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

mcenroe was defaulted from a match one time

xd everyone said that already. I think he said one time that he just lost track of how many violations he had at that point in the match though.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
my white dude hot take is that it can be both ridiculous that the chair ump penalized her a game and ridiculous that she had a 3-game tantrum and an on-court meltdown about a minor coaching penalty that really doesn't mater.

i've been watching osaka's matches since the second round though and she's really good - winning more slams on hardcourt for sure; no idea how her game translates to grass or clay.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Going at the umpire for the entire changeover will probably get some sort of penalty in any sport.

Clijsters won in 2009 against Serena in similar circumstances and get this; it did not affect her at all.

It's because she's a mother.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The idea that this'll affect her at all come next year is lunacy. Clijsters won in 2009 against Serena in similar circumstances and get this; it did not affect her at all.

Not even close. Williams went full Pulp Fiction on the chair ump in 2009, that penalty wasn't disputed at all.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

I like tennis again.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

Going at the umpire for the entire changeover will probably get some sort of penalty in any sport.
Yup, this is what it boils down to. If you're an MLB manager, you get ejected. In the NFL, you get ejected for contacting a ref. In the NBA, you get a technical foul and you're ejected after 2 technicals. This was Serena's 3rd violation.

Puckish Rogue posted:

I like tennis again.
Lucky for you, tomorrow's final between Delpo and Djoker should be a classic.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 9, 2018

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I don't think so. Her championship was just irrevocably tainted. No one is gonna remember this as the day Naomi Osaka reached the top. It's going to be "Remember that time the ump blatantly screwed Serena?"

drat, Serena, get over it.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Lucky for you, tomorrow's final between Delpo and Djoker should be a classic.

A classic Delpo win.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cavauro posted:

She beat Serena.

Nobody is arguing that. Ref ruined the game and the win because he’s a sexist racist piece of poo poo

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Flayer posted:

Djokovic gets violations constantly he's just not dumb enough to get 3 in the space of about 10 minutes. There's no sport where you can talk to a referee/umpire like that and expect not to get punished. Its the height of entitlement to ask the umpire to apologise for a decision, especially in this case when the coach even admitted to coaching after the event.

Not true. The golden state warriors constantly do and if they were reffed by the same rules Green would be kicked out of 70% of his games.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

LionArcher posted:

Nobody is arguing that. Ref ruined the game and the win because he’s a sexist racist piece of poo poo

lmao what in the hell? I feel like I'm in bizarro world reading posts like these. She called the umpire a liar and a thief, when he followed the rules exactly as he should've done. She deliberately smashed her racquet. She berated him for three games, and told him 'you'll never be on the same court as me again'. The way she was conducting herself was appalling, and in no way befitting of someone who's been around for as long as she has.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Puckish Rogue posted:

A classic Delpo win.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

LionArcher posted:

Given the fact that Serena's opponent was also a women of colour (black Haitian father/Japanese mother) and she's the one who benefited from the decision I don't see how the ref is supposed to be racist or sexist.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

LionArcher posted:

See folks. You can't even just say something about Naomi without people telling you not to change the subject. Don't get angry at the crowd for not being able to stop booing. No one else can either

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bardeh posted:

lmao what in the hell? I feel like I'm in bizarro world reading posts like these. She called the umpire a liar and a thief, when he followed the rules exactly as he should've done. She deliberately smashed her racquet. She berated him for three games, and told him 'you'll never be on the same court as me again'. The way she was conducting herself was appalling, and in no way befitting of someone who's been around for as long as she has.

That’s a lie. He did not follow the rules exactly. It’s selective enforcement. Did she lose her temper? Yes. But it’s obvious he was being sexist, and frankly, the fact that your not seeing this, or all the bullshit she’s constantly had to put up with shows your bias as well. Calling it “appalling”is borderline sexist and racist as well.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Flayer posted:

Given the fact that Serena's opponent was also a women of colour (black Haitian father/Japanese mother) and she's the one who benefited from the decision I don't see how the ref is supposed to be racist or sexist.

Racist to Serena, her opponent did a great job, and deserved the win. Jumping into the game the way he did tainted a win that was already there for the other player.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

LionArcher posted:

That’s a lie. He did not follow the rules exactly. It’s selective enforcement.
The rule states that you can't receive coaching during a match. Serena's coach outright admitted he was coaching her when she got the violation. The umpire has spotted it and duly giving a warning, which is following the rules to a t. Stop trying to make this it something it isn't.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

LionArcher posted:

That’s a lie. He did not follow the rules exactly. It’s selective enforcement. Did she lose her temper? Yes. But it’s obvious he was being sexist, and frankly, the fact that your not seeing this, or all the bullshit she’s constantly had to put up with shows your bias as well. Calling it “appalling”is borderline sexist and racist as well.

you are a crazy person

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

LionArcher posted:

Racist to Serena, her opponent did a great job, and deserved the win. Jumping into the game the way he did tainted a win that was already there for the other player.
Serena got the coaching violation when she was winning in the second set. Despite being a set down she was the favourite at that point. The match was not already there for Osaka at that point by any stretch but Serena did hand the match to her by melting down.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bardeh posted:

you are a crazy person

No. Calling me so doesn’t take away from the fact that is fairly obvious that was what happened. Is it so hard to see that she was both in the wrong (for losing her temper) and the reff was completely out of line for penalizing her? The fact that there’s an obvious racial and sexist component to all of this is well... obvious, and trying to gaslight me for calling it out doesn’t take away from the point.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Flayer posted:

The rule states that you can't receive coaching during a match. Serena's coach outright admitted he was coaching her when she got the violation. The umpire has spotted it and duly giving a warning, which is following the rules to a t. Stop trying to make this it something it isn't.

Lol holy poo poo dude what is going on with your brain.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
https://twitter.com/TennisNerdPod/status/1038540441568927744

The coach was being blatant about he, nodded to her when she saw, and then Serena proceeded to meltdown (over the course of like 4 games) over a nothing warning. She couldn't even properly throw a match like Dimitrov.

soggybagel posted:

Here he is warning Djokovic btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJm_oYcDMkM

Harry fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

the coaching rule is fuckin dumb. only a very lovely uncharitable reading of the rules gets Serena a game penalty there imo, especially in a grand slam final

after the match one of the commentators (evert i think) said that when serena was tearing into the ump he should of at least said something like “if you don’t stop you’ll get a game penalty” because i don’t think anyone expected it. seemed like a good idea to me, it’s only fair to remind someone of the (admittedly stupid) consequences in a heated situation like that

oh well. osaka was brilliant. i think she would have won even without all the bullshit

onward! let’s go delpo :unsmith:

• Locked thread