Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Latest thing: Alternate Ending 3!

Content warnings for the above episode: Pixel gore (not really bad)

Content warning for the above episode: Uh, sadism and cannibalism, also molestation? I think that's it. No gore this time!

Content warning for the above episode: No content warnings, except for the poetry

Content warning: Ok, NOW we're getting into it. Gore, descriptions of molestation and torture, suicide, bad poetry

Content Warning: None this time

Content Warning: None this time

Content Warning: Just some pretty mild gore, really. Talkin' 'bout cannibalism. Nothing big.

Content warning Murder, gore

Content warning: Molestation, incest. Yeah.

Content Warning: none this time

Content Warning: Mild gore. It's DESCRIBED as being super gross, but it doesn't LOOK so bad. Just don't think about it! :v:

Content Warning: Cannibalism, GROSS cannibalism, gore, insanity

Content warning: Gore, stupidity

(TLDR: No spoilers, yes audience participation, the game is mega weird. SSLP.)
Howdy!

What.

I'm Bacter, and I'm excited to show you this Let's Pl

Hold on. You don't look excited. You look... nervous?

OK. Listen. I normally do Let's Plays because I love the games and want to show them off, right?

You have hated every game you've let's played by the end.

Oh yeah that's pretty common. It's just a thing. I don't hate the GAME, it's the pressure an

Whatever. Ok, so let's allow that. What of it?

Well, I've mainly been playing 'weird horror' adventure games. Unforeseen Incidents and Unavowed are both games I've recently picked up, both are INCREDIBLE, and far, FAR better than this game.

...and you're not doing those games because...

I just feel bad! LPing a skill game like Hyper Light Drifter or Teleglitch might get somebody interested enough to pick up the game. LPing a point n' click adventure game is... the whole game. There's no reason to buy, so I'm probably hurting the developers, just a little bit.

So... I Fell From Grace is bad and you don't mind pulling people away from buying it?

No! Yes? ... Look just let me introduce it.

Alright nerd, tally ho.

Howdy! I'm Bacter. I'm very excited for us to hate this bizarre game together. I Fell From Grace showed up on my... uh Facebook I think actually, where game ads almost never show up. It was a super pixel-y spooky modern horror looking game.

When I saw a review, it reminded me a lot of this game I played with Niggurath set in a ski lodge that was very very good and creepy, so I jumped right on in.

This game is....

Ok. So I've played just flat-out BAD games before. Bad music, bad craftsmanship, bad graphics, no attention to detail, just hogwash.

And I've even LPd one! (Bureau 13, and the game development had a really neat story and a sad ending).

And this is... not that. The graphics are very effective. Some of the pacing and story beats genuinely caught me off guard, in the way a slow-burn horror game should. The music is minimalistic and really, really good actually.

It's just...

I don't know how else to say it.

This game was written by the weird goth kid back in Jr. High School. The ENTIRE GAME is written in rhyming verse.

And it's not good. It's very, VERY, VERY bad rhyming verse.

The main character is the least likeable jerk I have ever come in contact with, and while there are genuinely creepy moments, you're probably as or more likely to just burst out laughing that somebody thought the scene as presented was going to be moving or scary, rather than just... what it....

Look. I've got to show you this game. It's INCREDIBLE.

I'm not asking you to like it, and I'm showing it because I'd genuinely feel bad making you put down money for this. I just need you to see it.

...so... audience partic

GLAD YOU ASKED!

Yes, there absolutely will be audience participation. There are DECISIONS to be made in this plot. And in keeping with the 'not bad just super bizarre' theme, they really do have quite an extensive branching effect on the plot!

IN ADDITION

I'd really like to keep a running track of the 'best worst line' from the game. Nominate a line from each post/chapter, and we'll do a big vote at the end.

I've got some Steam Codes I might give away to the overall winner? But you'll want to do this just for the heck of it.

Ok. Finally... where did you go? Are you going to cut this one out mid-run?

No. I hope not. I don't toxx myself or anything like that, because I do this for relaxation and fun. I finished my last LP (Duskers), and then a bunch of stuff happened (had to switch jobs, mom died). That made for a big break. I've been looking for games to do, and there are a couple I really want to do, but they're just... they're giant. I want something manageable to get back into the swings. Updates >1 a week, is the idea.

Goal is every Monday, and then bonus days if I can manage.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen...

LET'S PLAY.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

CURRENT POLL:

None for this update

POLL RESULTS:

Episode 1: NO FATE YES PIPE

Episode 2: NO STINKY PETE YES CLEANER YES TELESCOPE

Episode 3: TAKE ALL NO GIVE BE JERK

Episode 6: Be mean to everybody!

Episode 7: GIVE PILL

Episode 8: Be Businesslike

Episode 9: Fight Harris

Episode 10: Recall the email!

BEST WORST LINES SUGGESTIONS:

Episode 1

Bacter's Choice: This amazing facility, which at science advancements hurled,
is also famously known as the scene of the end of the world.

Leylite: Today will be a good day Grace,
I can feel it in my bones!

queserasera: "I'll pick up something we'll both enjoy - light-hearted comedy full of farts?"

Ignatious M. Meen: "Hey look at that, I'm not even shocked. By turning the key, the door has unlocked."

fluffyDeathbringer: "My collection of literary books."

Episode 2

Bacter's Choice: Some weather we're having right?
I've lost all my potatoes to blight.

leylite: You're the scientist here, so you should have known!
I don't see why you're acting like your mind is blown...

cant cook creole bream: This vending machine has just been comissioned.
It has yet to start it's snack dispensing mission.

Kantesu: These empty containers once housed noxious flammable gas, that had been liquified.
You can tell by their red color - I had a colleague inhale some and he died.

Explosions: The sound from these motors can be quite deafening.
But they work hard to keep the elevators circulating.

ultrafilter/queserasera: I'm so excited for the opportunity to join the graduate program!
I hear the competition is really tough with lots of good applicants,
but I've been prepping for this opportunity since my final exam!

Ignatius M. Meen: Folks must some money be throwing?

HENRY SINGS (music tracks)

Title Screen
Intro (scientist sitting in hall)
Grace's Room
Henry's House
Office Theme
Main Downtown Theme
Convenience Store Theme (lost souls on casio keyboard)
Video Store (lost souls jr.)
Convenience Store Theme
Liquor Store (starts about 10 s in)
Bar
Apartment
Therapist
Park (swinging sound as I get closer to the lonely kid)
Police Station
Henry's Dream
Grace's Scream

The game in a nutshell:

really queer Christmas posted:

A miscarriage? A dumb manchild protagonist? Oh... oh no...

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 28, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bacter posted:

CURRENT POLL:

TAKE IRON PIPE? Y/N
BELIEVE IN FATE? Y/N

BEST WORST LINES SUGGESTIONS:

Bacter's Choice: This amazing facility, which at science advancements hurled,
is also famously known as the scene of the end of the world.

Y to pipe, N to fate. Our pipe is all the fate we need.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
A pipe conveys fluids in a linear path... like fate. A pipe is a tube, so a series of pipes is like the internet, which as we all know makes us stupid.

So No to Fate, No to Pipe

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Yes to Fate, No to Pipe

Henry is exactly the kind of rear end in a top hat to tell his chronically ill wife that there's a reason for her suffering. But he won't steal a pipe.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yes to Pipe, No to Fate

Keep hold of the tangible and be a man of science. Fate is for people that are afraid to control their own destinies and don't have a pipe handy to beat back what may come.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This seems to be the kind of poetry you shouldn't say out loud. Unless some people pronounce it "a gain". Because that happened twice already.
Sight rhymes are the worst.

Edit: This actually legitmately annoys me. I'm not into English poetry, and German words usually sound how they look, so I guess I haven't really built pathogens against this gross abuse of language. But seriously try to imagine a play where someone is forced to rhyme "pain" and "again".

Yes to pipe and fate.

Hattie Masters posted:

But he won't steal a pipe.

Well yeah, he owns it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 27, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Q n e
Phoneposting is hard...

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Well, I have to admit this is at least morbidly interesting garbage. It's a good thing our hero friend VIEWPOINT CHARACTER put the keys on a shelf instead of dropping them into the sink or down a vent, or... I guess he'd be trapped in his own house?

I'll vote No pipe and No, we don't believe in fate.

Best worst line:

Today will be a good day Grace,
I can feel it in my bones!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
They say love is like a red, red rose,
but I can't lie: this poetry blows

No to fate, yes to pipe

You never know when you'll need a random pipe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We are the masters of our own destiny,
but we carry a pipe for our sanity.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Worst line: "I'll pick up something we'll both enjoy - light-hearted comedy full of farts?" Really? You couldn't think of anything else to rhyme with arts?

Get into a row our ducks
and other corny tripe.
ABCB rhyming sucks.
So yes to fate and pipe.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This poetry is slightly better than Child of Light, but that's a bar so low it's basically painted on the floor

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That second line frankenstein'd-wannabe-couplet is unbelievable. Why, why, why isn't it common sense to read your dialog out loud??? There's no way anyone would defend that or later abortions messily chopped to resemble a rhyme if you squint if they heard what they sounded like coming out of someone's actual mouth. Some of the dialog is just more mediocre bad than horrible but goddamn do the stinkers stand out.

I can't decide what I hate more, the shoehorned rhymes or the visual 'rhymes'. A stage play with dialog like this would get laughed out of the theater before the intermission.

Worst line not already nominated: "Hey look at that, I'm not even shocked. By turning the key, the door has unlocked." If it weren't for the rhyme restriction this could be something a thousand times more characterizing and sane like "Great, now I can get to work." or "Good, now I won't be late." or even just plain removed... but no, it's got to be a rhyme, and the main character must comment on everything he does, so ten more words it is.

Y pipe/N fate because why not/hell if I want to see how they rhyme with 'destiny'.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Y pipe/N fate because why not/hell if I want to see how they rhyme with 'destiny'.

Tiny.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Y/N Pipe
Y/N Fate
Best worst line not already nominated: "My collection of literary books." Wanna show us your collection of edible foods or electronic computers next, dipshit?

Glad to have spotted this thread that combines a bunch of by LP favourites: SSLP, slower text adventure games, and bad game suffering. Thank you for providing this LP.

(The writing here has at least one positive; it can make anyone feel better about their own.)

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 28, 2018

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Yes, Henry is the sort of guy who believes in fate. It's why he expects trophies for putting in no effort.
No, don't take the pipe. We're just going to work, and nothing else could possibly happen where we might need to defend ourselves.

I think the worst line so far is Henry abruptly no longer rhyming because his weird neighbor starts hitting on him. Like, prior to that, the rhyming could be excused as a (mostly bad) narrative embellishment, but "I can't rhyme because I'm bewildered/have a boner" turns it into something that the characters are actively doing in the world, and could stop at any point. I suppose that might create a reason why so many of these rhymes feel so forced. Everyone in the game is trying to be a poet when they just aren't.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

sebmojo posted:

This poetry is slightly better than Child of Light, but that's a bar so low it's basically painted on the floor

I remember not being able to finish that game, and I'm reasonably sure the poetry was a major part of it.

Ever have a game that you can remember playing, because it was during an odd time or just a specific one? I played Child of Light in a dumpy basement under a courtroom, waiting to testify on behalf of a friend of mine, who got assaulted during a date. Not the BEST time to be reading awful poetry, maybe, but better that than this game.

By the end, you'll long for rhymes like that.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Alright!

I'm glad everybody's been "enjoying" this first taste. It's like when you get a tiny tiny bit of wasabi, and you can see what's coming, except then the guy tilts your head back and crams horseradish into your mouth until you gag and you're crying and choking.

That's the analogy for "first update" vs. "rest of game" is. It gets WEIRD guys. It STARTS getting weird this update.

And what is this update?

(and it's a big'un, so I've split it up)
Grind pt. 1
Grind pt. 2

As always:
Content warning for this update: Uh, sadism and cannibalism, also molestation? I think that's it. No gore this time!

It looks like we're going with the ever-popular NO FATE YES PIPE run. I'll include the relevant screenshots soon, and update the savegame to reflect our choices.
But we're not done with choices yet, oh no by a long way no!

THREAD CHOICES THIS TIME:

GIVE TO STINKY PETE?
TAKE OR LEAVE CORROSIVE CLEANER?
TAKE OR LEAVE TELESCOPE?

Also, I'm updating the second post with the poll results + bad verse suggestions from last time.

Bacter's choice from this update: Some weather we're having right?
I've lost all my potatoes to blight.

Not because it's awkward, and the rhyme is better than others, but just because you can see how totally they ran out of ideas for a second thing to say after "Some weather we're having, right?" and beat their heads against their desks until THIS fell out.

ALSO, NOTE I'm starting to include music tracks in the second post.

The music is a high point in this game - it's really pretty good! It doesn't stick with you, but it's not meant to. It's quiet, off, disconcerting. It can be intense at points. I'm using a new service since tindeck went down, so let me know if it's borked or something.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 29, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Bacter posted:

By the end, you'll long for rhymes like that.

Mandatory/laboratory is already pretty special. I'm looking forward to how they can make something much worse than that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bacter posted:

THREAD CHOICES THIS TIME:

GIVE TO STINKY PETE? YES - No better way to feel superior than handing out a dollar in charity, while voting for politicians that will cut welfare
TAKE OR LEAVE CORROSIVE CLEANER? TAKE - Henry would feel a sense of camaraderie with a corrosive acid that destroys anything it touches (except for its magical container anyway)
TAKE OR LEAVE TELESCOPE? LEAVE - Henry lost any interest in astronomy once he learned the Earth revolves around the Sun rather than around him

As for that electric puddle, I'm guessing you can either take the Pipe of No Fate and stick it in the background pipe to divert the leak, or, based on what Henry said, maybe you can exercise with that LEGMASTER-3000 to magically instantly get the physique required to jump over it.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Thread choices:

* Do not give to Stinky Pete. Clearly we'll need the dollar bill to act as duct-tape for the nuclear reactor later on.
* Take corrosive cleaner. We must possess the ability to destroy.
* Take telescope. It will be a much lighter and therefore effective melee weapon than the pipe.

For the electric puddle, I assume the answer is just turning the fuse boxes off, which will somehow turn off power to the entire building and not just the floor we're on.

Best worst line:

You're the scientist here, so you should have known!
I don't see why you're acting like your mind is blown...

I'm pretty sure scientists' jobs are to do science, not to inspect the walls of their own office.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Zanzibar Ham posted:

based on what Henry said, maybe you can exercise with that LEGMASTER-3000 to magically instantly get the physique required to jump over it.
It's this, isn't it.

Christ, this game is relentlessly miserable.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Best worst line:

This vending machine has just been comissioned.
It has yet to start it's snack dispensing mission.

That feels so pointlessly complicated to say "this vending machine doesn't work yet."
Also I don't think that's a rhyme at all.

Times they pronounced it a-gain: 4

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
These empty containers once housed noxious flammable gas, that had been liquified.

That isn't the worst rhyme, but it is the worst couplet. The first line comes to a natural end at "gas." But no, they need something to rhyme with "died" later, so the line continues, making it feel awkward. Then the second line is as long as the first should have been, mucking up the rhythm even worse. The rhymes aren't even the worst part of most of the writing, it's that almost none of the lines even remotely flow.

Also, more casual reactions to death. Yipee!

Oh, yeah:

Henry doesn't give money to bums. He's that kind of rear end in a top hat.
Since we're taking the pipe, take the cleaner, and put them night next to each other.
Leave the telescope.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

There's some really choice rhymes here: "did a marriage end up breaking, like a fallen vase?" is an evocative masterwork, a painting of words, and "I'm gonna have to start that door locking!" is definitely how poetry works, you got it in one, creator of this game, you made a poetry. But

The sound from these motors can be quite deafening.
But they work hard to keep the elevators circulating.

is going to be hard to top for sheer, raw, unbridled failure.

Also take the cleaner, take the telescope like the dirty peeper you are, and Henry helps those who help themselves.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
So Henry straightup killed a man and you wouldn't even know that if you missed clicking on one environment thing. Narrative game design!

Give to Stinky Pete: No. Pete brings it up, and Henry drops some line about being late and runs off, despite having previously been perfectly fine wasting time talking to Pete.
Take cleaner: Yes. "This stuff could be dangerous, " gives Henry as the reason. "I'm gonna have to run some tests on it to see if it's on the up-and-up." However, he just wants to have a bottle of acid because it's cool.
Take telescope: No. It's not immediately useful to Henry, therefore it's worthless.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This is the most amazing William McGonagall simulator.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

That's kind of the perfect image for this I think!

Like, it's not that there are NO reasons that an all-poetry game might work. Especially in a story where you want a sense of hidden dread, oppressive weight, and restrained terror. It could give the events a kind of disconnected, otherworldly vibe!

It should ALSO probably serve to tighten up the dialogue, since you would presumably be spending a lot of time on every line, since a lot of work should go into good poetry.

And that's kind of the hangup, actually. GOOD poetry. This stuff is, as I assume many of you cultured goons have divined by now, just hot garbage. It BARELY rhymes, and that is absolutely the only internal structure it can manage. They twist sentence structure and language around trying to get that rhyme, to the point that individual voices are basically lost.

Instead of making every line count, there's just endless dialogue about "ah yes, an elevator winch". "Man, people used to treat women differently back in 1987!"

The story WILL pick up quite a bit after this first day, but I think this puts us in the right frame of mind for it, and sets the bar where it needs to be.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Best worst line:

I'm so excited for the opportunity to join the graduate program!

That's not even remotely a poem, and the rhyme is as forced as I've ever seen.

I have to give an honorable mention to this one, though:

These empty containers once housed noxious flammable gas, that had been liquified.

It's not a bad rhyme, but the idea that that's just something that casually happens is pretty out there.

Votes:

Give some money to Stinky Pete.
His life is hard, and we can be sweet.

Take the cleaner and hope that it's useful.
But leave the telescope--that can't be fruitful.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I also voted for worst line:
I'm so excited for the opportunity to join the graduate program!
and this three-line rhymeless chunk happens again in the second part.

As for my vote
Give bum the note
And bottle take
And telescope break take

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I thought about trying to nominate another bit of dialog but the pain's washing over me like the ocean now. For choices I'm going to go with all Y because a) the beggar will help Henry somehow later, which means more game, which means more suffering and b) until the game actually says otherwise I'm going to assume we have unlimited space for random crap lying around and by golly Henry is the kind of person who deserves to be a pack mule.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
"Folks must some money be throwing?" is my favorite line, because it told me how convoluted the rhymes would get.

Give money, take both

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm glad to see you back in the saddle, Bacter! And especially with this title, oh boy.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I just... drat, man, this is painful.

Is the regular non-rhyming dialogue option any better? Well, I guess it'd have to be better - it couldn't not be better - but is it the same kind of amateur-hour 'this is what adult work is like no really' stuff?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'll have to find a good example and post it. It's... not GREAT? It doesn't annoy like the bad rhymes do, but it ends up being, I guess Solid Snakey? Like, just very plain and repetitive.

"This is the office that I work in. It's smaller than I'd like, and it's old. I work in here, in this office. I hope to get a larger office to work in."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bacter posted:

I'll have to find a good example and post it. It's... not GREAT? It doesn't annoy like the bad rhymes do, but it ends up being, I guess Solid Snakey? Like, just very plain and repetitive.

"This is the office that I work in. It's smaller than I'd like, and it's old. I work in here, in this office. I hope to get a larger office to work in."

Does that mode also add in this old guy who somehow both knows everything and nothing at the same time, and all he does is reiterate things even more?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Quote from the discussion page:

quote:

It seems there's a pretty even split with people that like the rhyming dialogue in the game, and those that haaaaaaate it.

As I want everyone to have a fun experience playing I fell from Grace, I'm happy to announce that I'm working on a toggle in the options to turn off the rhyming and have standard dialogue in place.

No WAY. (emphasis mine)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am sure people "like" it for the same reason they "like" The Room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The creator vs. everyone else?

Yeah, seems like an even split to me.

• Locked thread