Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I mean, you have positive things to say about it, which is something that your average "mock the bad game" playthrough is unlikely to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Picayune posted:

Well, I mean... you know, Grace fell down the stairs and had a miscarriage... so I guess the baby... literally fell from Grace?

... I would not put it past this game to go there. :what:

A miscarriage? A dumb manchild protagonist? Oh... oh no...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yes, the parts the dev didn't do personally, like the art and music, are quite nice!

I'm sure there's a lot to look forward to in the story, though. We will always have Doris.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Well, the thread has it's own loss meme. Time to close up shop, everybody!

Dang it, I should have called it "Let's Play I Fell from Grace: Is this loss?"

I forgot a lot of the middle-day therapy sessions, can't wait to show the next one off, especially apropos of the "will Henry every figure out he's a jerk" line of questioning!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm glad that Henry moved past it, and healed.

Bacter posted:

I like the rhyme in the title better, though. :shobon:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Bacter posted:

Well, the thread has it's own loss meme. Time to close up shop, everybody!

I forgot a lot of the middle-day therapy sessions, can't wait to show the next one off, especially apropos of the "will Henry every figure out he's a jerk" line of questioning!

Haha, I know loss is real played out these days but I mean, it’s actually appropriate and relevant for once :v:

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh yes, it fully applies.

Especially the part where Henry is probably back to playing video games a week later!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

*wanders into thread*

Oh, a new Bacter LP! Let's see wh:psyboom:

:eyepoop:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Customer Reviews posted:

Overall Reviews:
Mostly Positive (20 of the developer's friends and family)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Yeah, getting 15 people to give a positive review isn't that hard. And the game does show effort.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

AdventureGamers.com posted:

It’s interesting how the rhymes and the limitations on words actually tell us tales with richer meaning – and more often than not, are funnier.

:stare:

(Not linking to review because of mild spoilers)

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Well let's see... there's actually quite a bit to do.
There's a hooker in you want something short-term.

A lot of people are into heavy drugs so there's that.
The library stays open past ten, if you're a bookworm.

Looking for things to do? You could pay for sex! You could take some drugs! Or you could...go to the library? (And do both, I guess?)

Henry, you don't deserve
an effort poem because
you cheated on your wife
while she was in the hospital
having a miscarriage you gently caress
Planning on pulling a
Newt Gingrich next, huh.
Please be mean to the
occult store guy so
he can curse you again, ty.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Bacter posted:

Grace and loss is the rhyme this game deserves. Meter too.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Phall from Gross: Is this Loss?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Alright, we've finally got SOME kind of traction on a main plot, so let's get rolling with this

Little different format than usual today - you'll see in the thread. I DO recommend checking out all the various parts - there's at least one major delight in each one.

The poll this time is the most significant one so far by far:

Give Pill / Research Pill?

I'm genuinely curious to see what you guys want!

Also: that therapy session, right? Right?!

Bacter's Choice for 'best' rhyme (this time because of content, not because of the rhyme): It's experimental technology that I've "borrowed" from work!
It didn't cost me a penny! Clever, right? I can't help but smirk!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Research pill.

Having caught up, here are my nominations for worst rhymes in the game (top pick bold):

Who... who the hell are you?
Did you my house break into?
[...]
When the plans for you were foretold,
the angels of heaven awed.

and

But I knew the locket wasn't at home beside the bed.
I lost it getting my dick sucked by some slutty redhead.
I left it at her place, too drunk to remember the address.
Having lost such a precious gift, has been an awful mess.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Give her the pill! Giving it to the homeless dude was research enough, right? :v:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Yeah! That's close enough to being a clinical trial, totally! Give her the pill!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Give her the pill. She's not going to live long enough to get a divorce from this piece of poo poo so maybe this will give her a quicker way out. And if it does somehow cure her then she can file for divorce.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Best line:
Dimethylmercury is a neurotoxin from which you don't recover...
Soon the onset of mercury poisoning symptoms you'll discover...

Runner up:
I really like the wood furnishings in here!
The natural material eases the feelings of despair!

Give her the pills why not.
After all, we tested them by giving them to that hobo!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

"yeah I just spilled some neurotoxin on my face I'll be fine"
"no, you're dead"

This game is. Intense.

Also I cannot feel bad for the friendly naive couple that just moved in, they're clearly too stupid to live.

PILL HER UP

It cannot be worse than stealing a TV from work and watching football instead of celebrating his wife's birthday. It cannot.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm sort of disgustingly impressed by how much worse Henry's psychology sessions keep getting. They already started out just awful, but each session has been more horrible than the last. I.... just can't say anything else about it. He really should just eat poo poo and die.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What cracks me up about Henry is that the single worst thing he's done to himself in this game so far - pissing off his mentor at work, and thus destroying his career - was his own choice. We the player never got a chance to do that, nope, he did that himself.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Given that he starts out the game being late for work and started his first day on the job being late for work, I'm surprised he didn't start the game by getting fired, honestly.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Rain and the sewer
medicinal death of hope
Give your wife the pill

So the other day a patron asks me about my favorite musicians. Do I fib and tell him about some okay things that I know we have, or do I tell the truth about my bizzare music tastes knowing no sane public library would carry such things?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Grace needs to chill,
So give her the pill.
A cure would be nice,
but let's be real - soon his wife's on ice.

Imagine: a library devoted to avant garde noise. Wolf Eyes for days.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Give her the pill

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Arrgh, on top of the "whine" typo (which is amazing), the wine fail on top of that is appalling! Sweet and dry are opposites, ffs, you can't say "this is sweet but some find it dry". And while there are multiple Cabernet varietals (and ways to make sweet and/or white wines from them), when people say "Cabernet" they usually mean Cabernet Sauvignon and specifically dry reds. Just like everything else it's addressed thus far, the game has no idea how wine works. We can't even make this Henry's fault, because they put the error in the mouth of the liquor store employee.

It's a minor nitpick but I couldn't let it pass.

I don't have a whole lot to say about the rest of this, except that I can't decide whether I dislike Henry or whoever wrote this game more.

I had a huge effort-rant written at one point about rhyme in poetry (and what makes it work or not), but I didn't save it so thankfully you've all been spared that.

Why not, I'll jump on the bandwagon and say give her the untested magic? drugs. What's the worst that could happen, she dies and no longer has to put up with Henry?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Explopyro posted:

I had a huge effort-rant written at one point about rhyme in poetry (and what makes it work or not), but I didn't save it so thankfully you've all been spared that.

:justpost:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Explopyro posted:

Seconding :justpost:.

I haven't really have had any interest in poetry at all, and the only thing I can identify are bad rhymes and grammar being forced to fit a rhyme, so I think this would be really interesting read to me, if you up to effort-ranting.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

The best part about the pretentious tone the game can take is how it has just no actual knowledge about anything it's talking about.

The one area I can talk about is the science involved in Henry's workplace and, yeah, it's a mess. I mean, you could theoretically handwave away anything as "this company is super corrupt and incompetent", but that doesn't mean it makes sense.

I mean dimethylmercury is interesting for heavy metal chemistry, and shouldn't be within ten miles of a pharma company! Of course we also have an ancient languages expert, so :argh:

Explopyro posted:

I don't have a whole lot to say about the rest of this, except that I can't decide whether I dislike Henry or whoever wrote this game more.

I hit this phase too: like, yeah, it's uncomfortable watching Henry go, but he was WRITTEN that way. I get that he's a jerk! You can stop convincing me!

Explopyro posted:

Booooo poooost boooooo

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

All right. Here goes nothing then. Let's see if I can remember all the points I wanted to hit before I lost what I'd written before.

Let's preface this with a disclaimer: While I have written poetry for publication, I'm not a professional poet and I don't have formal training in poetry. I'm not an expert by any means and these are just my opinions. Poetry is a very subjective field and there are exceptions to everything.

I think the biggest thing people miss about rhyme is that it's fundamentally a kind of structure (just like meter is). The most common failure mode with rhyme is to assume that it's enough by itself without paying attention to any other structural aspects of the poem; I personally don't think rhyme works unless it's used alongside structured meter (e.g. you want the rhymes to fall on the same beats relative to the rest of the line, ideally at places the reader would naturally pause or add emphasis). That's probably the hardest aspect to actually get right, also: it all needs to work holistically, and you need to think about how everything actually sounds. Thinking up rhyming pairs is a lot easier than putting together the contextual scaffolding needed to support them in an actual poem.

(You may notice that I Fell From Grace definitely does not do this. Although it also keeps failing to even find rhymes, which is something else entirely.)

Rhyming verse with a consistent cadence tends to feel deceptively natural, if anything (I think Dr Seuss is a good example of that) and is a lot harder to write than it looks, which is why so many people probably attempt it without any notion of what they're getting into. That said, I will admit that sometimes you can get away with intuition if you have a good ear for it (and are willing to do some trial and error), because ultimately we're concerned about how something sounds - you don't necessarily need to count syllables or iambs or whatever.

It's also a bit of a problem, I think, that many people are taught to conflate rhyme with poetry (I don't know how universal it is, but especially at a young age all the poetry people encounter tends to be rhyming), and therefore to assume that if they throw rhymes into something it automatically becomes poetic and more meaningful somehow (whereas this actually makes you look like a pretentious poseur).

Of course not all poetry needs structure (and some styles benefit a great deal from lack of structure), but once you've committed to using it, you need to apply it consistently or the effect is going to be deeply jarring and dissonant to the reader. I'll even concede that might be an effect you could want to create deliberately, but saying "there may be a good reason to break this rule if you know what you're doing" is often heard by people as "it's not a real rule so I can do whatever I want", so I'm reluctant to go too far in that direction.

Once again, back to the game - it's made the worst possible decision here. Rhyming couplets could have worked as a structure if it stuck to it, but it can't be bothered to keep the line lengths even remotely consistent, and it keeps arbitrarily breaking this in longer text boxes (sometimes it just sticks an unrhyming line in there, sometimes it tries to do ABAB or ABAC but it can't decide on anything). There's no underlying reason for when it chooses to break the rules it's established for itself, so when it does it comes across as lazy.

The interesting thing is that I actually think rhyming couplets could be a good structure to use, if we absolutely had to have a game with rhyming text. It's small and modular, so it fits within one text box and can work no matter what order you happen to see those text boxes in (which is good in an adventure game where you don't know when the player will click on what). And it's simple enough that it could be adjusted depending on the length of the text, or to account for characterisation etc (keep consistent length and meter within individual couplets, but vary it between them as needed) - I liked Nevileen's example of how this could have worked a few pages back.

The other thing that's impossible not to notice with this game is that it keeps loving with syntax in order to force the rhymes - it really likes going from subject-verb-object (standard English syntax) to subject-object-verb (which sounds very unnatural most of the time). This can be a valid technique, but again, ultimately (to my mind) you want your text to be pronounceable and feel natural, so adding this kind of awkwardness is working against yourself and needs to be compensated for (and "I needed a rhyme" isn't a good enough reason, I think). Ironically, Shakespeare often used this kind of thing, but that doesn't help: people recognise that, and think you're trying to sound Shakespearean, which in a game like this especially is yet another way to come across as obnoxiously pretentious.

I haven't even touched on slant rhyme yet; I think all I really want to say about it is that it's yet another case of "this is a thing that works if you do it intentionally, but is also often a go-to excuse for lazy people who don't want to put in the work". (Like flubbing the rhythm, it creates dissonance: you can use this for effect, and probably get away with it occasionally, but if you do it all the time all it means is you actually have no structure.) And yet so much of what this game has done doesn't even reach that point - foetus/poetess for instance is just a case of "I don't know how to pronounce words", and is just the most blatant example of that type here. Although I'll admit that I personally am not bothered by, e.g. "again"/"rain", because it's a valid pronunciation of the word.

I don't know if I have an overarching point here, except that there are a lot of reasons what this game is doing doesn't work, and you can boil a lot of them down to "they set out to do something that's a lot harder than it looks, and didn't bother putting in any effort".

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This game is actually an autobiography.

VVVV I believe you missed a negation there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 13, 2018

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Explopyro posted:

extremely good :words:

Note that even Ubisoft, which has professional writers, could make Child of Light work. I don't speak French, but the English, German and Italian versions were all similarly stunted, if not as godawful, as this game.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It may be a lost cause but the pill gives me pause.

we need to do more research lest we bury her in the nearby church.

Henry is absolutely the worst, but grace makes my heart burst :(

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Research the pill, even though the other choice is winning.

My favorite line:

quote:

I can't help but ask if my coworkers lament.
Do they often come here, for a product of ferment?

Because "product of ferment" is dumb.

edit: gently caress I was looking at screenshots and got spoiled on what happens at the party. gently caress this game, seriously.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Bacter posted:

They... he gets paid a million dollars? Replacing your staff with temp-agency workers saves a MILLION dollars?

Or is a "cool mill" like literally a chilly grain-grinder. Because "cool mil" is the correct spelling.

I prefer to think that they want him to change out his staff to literally save a mill, which is $0.001.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Give her the pill, because why wouldn't we? We have a pattern of steamrolling over our terminally ill wife's desires, we've seen it's worked on an ailment, (good enough to our incurious, lazy self), and we secretly resent her for having a miscarriage. It's the only in-character choice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I thought I was developing a tolerance for Henry's terrible way of life, but that therapy session got to me. He really is a piece of work, isn't he?

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Give her the pill, because why wouldn't we? We have a pattern of steamrolling over our terminally ill wife's desires, we've seen it's worked on an ailment, (good enough to our incurious, lazy self), and we secretly resent her for having a miscarriage. It's the only in-character choice.

Yeah. Let's get all in on being a shitstain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

quote:

Do liquor stores usually just give you samples of stuff?

Almost all of the wine I've ever had in my life was liquor store samples. I don't know if a downscale place like the one in the game would do that sort of thing, but it's definitely not completely unheard of in general.

(Those samples convinced me I did not like wine and probably wouldn't care for any other alcohol either.)

• Locked thread