Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sign me up! As a warning I will be mia for the majority of labor day weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've never seen The Fifth Element all the way through, it was the sort of movie I'd put on between waiting commercials out on whatever show I was actually watching. All I really know about it is that Chris Trucker is supposed to be really annoying in it? IDK

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##vote merk howdy merk

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

merk posted:

I will literally be gone until Tuesday morning starting in about 3 hours.

Same op

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hello everybody. I'm back home. Got fitty pounds of bread at my place for a lan party so I'm kinda busy today but I'll see if I can make some time to read things over.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Someone tell me who to read or vote for thanks.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lumpen posted:

I request your fresh eyes on yuming. Reading in context is probably better than isolating just her posts though. At least page 11.

You can soul-read me too if you don't mind.

I looked at that page specifically. Her offered opinions are really vague and the succession of them looks like she is coming up with opinions to get some out there, rather than reporting on things she noticed and found suspicious. That reads to me as scummy and I think I would vote this way.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

yuming posted:

Chop chop I have like 5 minutes here tops.

If you're referring to the GENESIS OF THE HAMBEET CASE then I disagree and don't think that's a fair characterization. BK and I both cased him D1 and don't forget vv

LUMPEN NOTICED THE SAME THING

I think that Lumpen's inconsistency surrounding this read and his play around me suggest he is playing more for smoke and mirrors in the thread vs. trying to solve the game and work together. I think it is scummy that he is so suspicious of me for making a read that he initially prompted.

This seems all in all like a pretty weak gotcha. Like I guess Lumpen looks a little bad for forgetting that he'd had this suspicion earlier but with seven pages in between it's hard to think too much of this.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

At the moment I'm struggling with who to trust. I feel better about yuming than I did yesterday and while I could see her as scum fronting, I also think she is posting against what I remember her scum meta to be. I also feel worse about Lumpen and don't entirely trust some of the reads and opinions he is offering or his strange reliance on flavor, however I can't deny his hustle.

I am kinda feeling the hambeet vote today above anything else, their play sorta reminds me of how they were playing in the recent Ecco game where they were scum. I also generally have good impressions of the people already voting that way.

##vote hambeet

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

SolusLunes posted:

Is meta your only argument? You don't have anything specific to go on?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from voting for beet, but I am concerned about your lack of posting, and the fact that when you do, and when you vote, it's with a real shaky justification.

My impression of him is he's just been very defensive and throwing mud to keep himself alive which I would find scummy regardless of his prior games, but the similarity makes me feel better about the suspicion.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm sorta around glancing at the thread while doing other things with fitty. I'm more uncertain about this hambeet vote than I was earlier but I still think it may be the way to go today, plus I don't see another viable alternative.

I should be less distracted on future days, sorry everyone.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Should have preview edited :redhammer:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Lumpen cop connection is really compelling. It's hard to read Toalpaz' post history and come to any conclusion besides that he investigated lLumpen and got scum.

I am also suspicious how Lumpen initially reacted to this connection. Suggesting that Toalpaz could not have kept silent about a scum investigation is not a town reaction, it implies there was a scum result on Lumpen to get. "If the cop investigated me as scum he would have said something" is not an explanation town players should be offering, especially not before "if the cop investigated me as scum then night shenanigans are afoot."

Also, bulletproof is one of the safest and most standard fakeclaims for scum since it is very hard and very costly for town to verify.

I am reluctant to base the day's execution on an unclaimed and ultimately speculative investigation but ultimately I think there's something here.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

Okay maybe we kill Lumpen today?

I'm on mobile for a bit so it's a pain to multi quote but this is his first post of day 2.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

yuming posted:

For those who haven't played with me as scum I have a reputation for being Not Great because I'm a spaz and can't take the pressure.

This is relevant information because fmpov Lumpen is using this meta-knowledge to write his case special education paperwork against me.

This acknowledges that contrary to what Lumpen would expect of me playing scum, I am not getting scum-level worked up after my midnight drive by hambeet vote.

Once again the underlined is Lumpen describing how he thinks I play as town. He throws in the "maybe" as though he recognizes that making a tertiary case is something I would be less likely to do as scum.

But ultimately, Lumpen chooses to characterize me as a lurky, ~disingenous~ tunneling scum player.

I think he does this because he knows its strategically advantageous to do. Adding any fuel to the burning trash can that was yesterday is exactly what scum wants to do and all the better when it involves players you know are going to react. I think Lumpen knows I can be a stubborn town player, and putting pressure (combined with the possible gaspy cop gambit) when he did got everything a scum team could've hoped for and more (1) dead town/hambeet (2) dead cop/Toal (3) huge distraction and case to take into the next day/yuming.

It looks like an orchestrated move and that Lumpen was so focused on asking me for reads in light of hypothetical flips can be read as scum setting up for the next day.

I've seen scum Lumpen make similar plays toward you in past games, come to think of it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Meh. I don't have any particularly great reads this game. I still think Lumpen is scummy but mainly because of a speculative investigation I'm not confident happened. I think that if yuming is scum she is playing the alignment a lot better than in her previous games, but I cannot fully see her as town and a big part of her play feels defensive here rather than offensive, she seems more concerned about defending her own alignment than of establishing suspicion on others. I had a town read on merk earlier but I really did not like him slamming me with a vote only to immediately agree with my conclusions and it felt like a very scum merk move. I have a scum read on Asphyxious but worry that most of it is coming from the very ambiguous way he has played his softclaim and how others have reacted to it.

The only person I think I would cleanly and comfortably vote for at the moment is Tired Moritz for playing a very "woe is me!!" game after replacing in. ##vote Tired Moritz

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lumpen posted:

I can understand TNL being gone for Labor Day Weekend and then hanging out with Fitty, but man he sure has lurked like hell and it's not like him to be this absent. Come argue with me TNL!

I'll have more time to play going forward, fitty finally went home which will be good for my sleep schedule.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lumpen posted:

TNL, Solus Lunes, and Kashuno are online with a green dot on the Discord right now. TNL is currently playing World of Warcraft.

Just sayin'!

Eh I'm sorry but I don't have much to say about this one beyond what I've already said. I'm struggling even to pull out town reads from this one. It feels like all the power players are arguing with each other in circles to the point where I'm not even certain what their original reasons of suspicion are. So as a result my reads are mostly vague impressions based on how people are carrying out their arguments.

At this point there is nobody in the game I have a solid town read on, I think there are a lot of people including you that have been overly focused on one specific player and that there are enough people guilty of this to where it is hard to find separation in their play. Then there are a lot of other players that come off as spectating some of the bigger discussions and again I'm not seeing a ton of separation between them. Even the key events in this game are along the lines of failed gambit attempts, like AA's mason claim that seems like a really bad move for town but also makes little sense as a scum play.

I kinda think the town needs to regroup a little and move off these circular arguments to try and build some consensus. There are a lot of tangled suspicion webs in this game that probably don't need to be sorted out so early, I worry about us making a "high information" execution that flips a suspicious-looking town player and leads the town to draw poor conclusions from that going forward. If our choice in execution today is between you and yuming, that's a coin toss that I don't feel comfortable making at this point. I would rather see the town looking at safer if lower-impact executions today, even if that's a vote on a lurker like me.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

merk posted:

TNL didn’t show his work when somehow coming to the conclusion that Toal investigated Lumpen. When I pressed him on it, he calls me scum and backs off the read. This is scum looking to make us think he’s hunting when in reality he’s not at all.

This is a total lie though.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867075&pagenumber=41&perpage=40#post487712091

I did quote the post that led me to believe Toal had an investigation and merk completely ignored it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm here. It looks like we are executing Lumpen?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I still don't really know what would bring a town player to think scum claiming to a mason was a good gambit. If your partner was scum it's not like they would say "oh good we're on the same side."

Granted I don't know why actual scum would do it either.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

It was a mind game that worked how I wanted it to work

:colbert:

I learned what I needed to, and had my faith in beet restored. I even tried to save him futilely, but w.e.

I wouldnt actually scum claim deliberately. That's just rude.

Yeah but it's also the sort of gambit I think town players should never do, to the point where I kinda want to vote you out on policy for doing it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lumpen posted:

With the scumclaim having been done, it'd be madness to leave AA for LYLO.

So both of us will have to go by LYLO, if it ever gets close to LYLO.

So ask yourself, if you're not sure, is it better to lose a claimed BP or a claimed Mason?

Suppose yuming or Kashuno get SK'd tonight and flip scum, who do you want to still be alive to play?

Yes this is a big part of what I am thinking about. I don't think I can ever really trust someone who scum claimed, not least because I never want to lose to scum who scumclaimed and got away with it.

I'm not crazy about voting either of you to be honest.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

What did I disrupt?

You made the beet situation worse for starters.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##vote Kashuno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm glad I didn't vote Lumpen when the opportunity presented itself but that's about the only aspect of my play I'm pleased about. Sorry for lurking so hard Slam.

• Locked thread