Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

It's possible to freeze beef stew like that? How long does it keep? Every mealprep beef stew recipe I've seen says the mealprep part is just putting poo poo in a freezer bag and then hucking it in a slow cooker after thawing it

edit: I guess adding onto that, what are y'all's favorite sites for finding these recipes, because all the ones I find are paleo-vegan-gluten-thigh-blasting poo poo and despite being in college, I don't need to be on that strict of a diet yet

Spaced God fucked around with this message at Oct 22, 2018 around 01:53

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Say 'Thank you, Ershin'.

Say it.

Spaced God posted:

It's possible to freeze beef stew like that? How long does it keep? Every mealprep beef stew recipe I've seen says the mealprep part is just putting poo poo in a freezer bag and then hucking it in a slow cooker after thawing it

edit: I guess adding onto that, what are y'all's favorite sites for finding these recipes, because all the ones I find are paleo-vegan-gluten-thigh-blasting poo poo and despite being in college, I don't need to be on that strict of a diet yet

The only watchouts I've read on freezing stew are on adding potatoes only after thawing as they don't freeze well, and on recipes using cornstarch as a thickener maybe needing to be mixed together again after thawing.

Budgetbytes and DadCooksDinner are the sites I get the most meal prep options from, and they're not too diet-oriented.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bear Witness

That's the reddest beef stew I've ever seen, wow

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

I've been very lazy about posting so here's me playing catch up -

This week:

I picked up an Isa Chandra Moskowitz cookbook so my food this week was all-vegan.
Fried portabella mushrooms
Mac and Cheese made from cashew/carrot/onion and garlic powder/peanut butter (the sauce is only ok; going to try nutritional yeast next time which is apparently more cheesy tasting)
And no those are not turds. Just falafel and grape leaves

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

indyrenegade posted:

I've been very lazy about posting so here's me playing catch up -

A decidedly more healthy lunch from two weeks ago -
Pickled asparagus
Mashed sweet potato with maple syrup and garlic
Frozen fish made better by tossing hot spices on them with lemon
Rice cooked with chinese five spice in my rice cooker; added a nice flavor

Return of the Grape Leaf Turds -
Failed mushroom risotto. Spent 40 minutes on it only to realize basmati does not have enough starch content to make risotto. Had all the taste but none of the starchy sauce it's meant to have.
Yukon gold potatoes boiled in tumeric and cardamom
Fish fish fish fish fish

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Say 'Thank you, Ershin'.

Say it.

Only working until Wednesday this week, so this prep already mostly covers my work lunches and dinners.

Chicken tikka masala done in the pressure cooker.

Extra saucy for mixing with rice.

Extra portions of tikka masala along with last week's beef stew in the freezer for next weekend, since I probably won't be back home in time to cook anything.

I've been picking up some Korean side dishes from a nearby store, and it's been a fun challenge trying to figure out what type of veg is used in each. This one has the texture of seaweed but is a bit more crisp, and tastes like it's been marinated in soy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Say 'Thank you, Ershin'.

Say it.

So I actually wasn't planning on cooking this weekend. However, after a power outage at my buddy's place, I found myself in possession of 1kg of 1/4 price sukiyaki beef that was already thawing and couldn't be refrozen.

I marinated half in soy, mirin, sugar and ginger...

...and made red curry with squash with the rest.

Cooked up the marinated beef bulgogi-style.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bear Witness

I have recently learned, to my dismay, that potatoes do not freeze well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Say 'Thank you, Ershin'.

Say it.

This week's lunch:

Callos, Filipino style. With chorizo, chickpeas, white beans, and ham. This was serious comfort food for me back home.

This was my first time making callos, and I discovered tripe is a pain in the rear end to prepare, even with a pressure cooker. This meal was worth the effort given how much surplus I was able to freeze, but this is definitely not something I'll be prepping very often.

«3 »