Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
update:
tonkatsu and curry is like, the cousin of fried chicken and mac and cheese

somewhat more fancy but ultimately just as gluttonous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Remembered to actually take pictures.

Me and my wife make a total 9 meals because my team has a dedicated team lunch every Monday. We make 2 separate meals first being a southwest queen wa I mentioned preciously. With corn, black beans, lime, cilantro, with 3oz grilled chicken. The other is a southwest salad with 3oz of chicken, mexican corn, tomatoes, black bean, romaine.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Pictured: Beef stroganoff, spinach and pork stew, Japanese pork and chicken curry, chicken and lentil stew, chicken adobo, beef stew, with pork chili verde and chicken tikka in the back. Move a ziploc down to the fridge the day before, dump it on top of a bowl of rice, microwave for two minutes. I like to have a variety on hand to mix things up and because I get itchy if I don't cook something every so often, but I could stop doing anything for a month or so now and still be set for dinner.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

sterster posted:

Remembered to actually take pictures.

Me and my wife make a total 9 meals because my team has a dedicated team lunch every Monday. We make 2 separate meals first being a southwest queen wa I mentioned preciously. With corn, black beans, lime, cilantro, with 3oz grilled chicken. The other is a southwest salad with 3oz of chicken, mexican corn, tomatoes, black bean, romaine.

That looks so amazing.

AnonSpore posted:

Pictured: Beef stroganoff, spinach and pork stew, Japanese pork and chicken curry, chicken and lentil stew, chicken adobo, beef stew, with pork chili verde and chicken tikka in the back. Move a ziploc down to the fridge the day before, dump it on top of a bowl of rice, microwave for two minutes. I like to have a variety on hand to mix things up and because I get itchy if I don't cook something every so often, but I could stop doing anything for a month or so now and still be set for dinner.

You got the right idea. That's something I had not considered when writing the OP - how useful freezing batches of food is.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

anakha posted:

To be fair, portioning and meal prep get a lot easier when you're used to eating rice everyday and can just plan on differing combinations of rice-protein-veg every week.

Lazy dinner meal prep this week was Dragon Noodles from Budgetbytes. Thin egg noodles, ground pork, and a 1-1-1 combination of sugar, soy sauce and chili garlic sauce. Pics later once I get home.

E: Noodles and cold barley tea:

Thanks for this post, I made this a couple nights ago and it was fantastic. Gonna make it a staple.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Awesome, glad you found the recipe and enjoyed it!

I was planning a different set of meals this coming week, but a small emergency kept me from shopping for the ingredients I needed. Meals ended up being a semi-rehash from two weeks ago:

Thai green curry with birdseye chilis, beef, broccoli, and butternut squash.

The curry ended up darker than expected, maybe due to the beef stock I added.

Oyakodon - unlike the gyudon I made, the egg ended up absorbing the dashi and soy and was more brown than yellow. Probably because I actually had dashi this time to cook with.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Not so good looking this time around and lovely phone picture. But, we made the quinoa again. However, our second meal is carnitas with cilantro lime rice and street corn.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

anakha posted:

To be fair, portioning and meal prep get a lot easier when you're used to eating rice everyday and can just plan on differing combinations of rice-protein-veg every week.

Lazy dinner meal prep this week was Dragon Noodles from Budgetbytes. Thin egg noodles, ground pork, and a 1-1-1 combination of sugar, soy sauce and chili garlic sauce. Pics later once I get home.

E: Noodles and cold barley tea:

Planning to make this tonight for my lunches this week. I'm being a weirdo and using quorn crumbles instead of pork, though.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Guess who put off posting because I am the apex of lazy!

This week was a return to uh a more healthy week.

Pasta puttanesca with rice noodles.
This has been my go-to "need food in 10 mins" meal when I come home from work. I practice a rotation of Italian dishes to make sure I'm honing some sort of cooking skill (normally carbonara, puttanesca, aglio e olio) and decided, gently caress it, we're making a batch for lunches. We can thank Lemony Snicket for forging a curiosity about the dish I never went in on until I was an adult. I use daddy kenji's recipe.

Chicken with kosher salt/cracked black pepper/parsley pan fried on two sides then finished in the oven at 400~ for about 15-20 mins.

Pasta + chicken + hard boiled egg and steamed veg (kale/carrots/green pepper)

This has been a good week for food.

Also been taking breakfast to work with me! I make oatmeal out of rolled + steel cut oats, add flax seeds and add maple syrup, brown sugar and cinnamon in there. Holy gently caress that has been a good idea. I find myself way less tempted to go buy food because the oatmeal keeps me full for so long.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Pasta puttanesca with rice noodles looks pretty good. Any good suggestions on substitutes for anchovies. Don't think my wife can mentally handle it. Shhh don't tell her about the Caesar salad. Also are capers absolutely necessary because I don't have any off hand.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

sterster posted:

Pasta puttanesca with rice noodles looks pretty good. Any good suggestions on substitutes for anchovies. Don't think my wife can mentally handle it. Shhh don't tell her about the Caesar salad. Also are capers absolutely necessary because I don't have any off hand.

The trouble with axing anchovies and capers in a dish like this is the peculiar saltiness of both ingredients, and the fishiness of the anchovies is what contributes to the quote-unquote authentic sauce.

I had a look and found a vegan alternate recipe that said to use ground seaweed (nori sheets) and tamari to replace the anchovy. For capers replacements, I am seeing green olives and thyme. Thyme is close-ish to capers in flavor profile.

I'm gonna say: go whole hog and make the recipe with the regular ingredients. It's not quite like a spaghetti where you can say, tomato + pasta + whatever you want to amplify sauce; puttanesca seems to be a lot more stringent. I would say you can skimp on capers but I wouldn't go without anchovy unless you happen to have nori/tamari on hand.

As for anchovies, if you get anchovy paste as opposed to a tin that might help her squeamishness. Honestly, due to how it's the sauce is cooked, you could probably sneak the anchovy in there without her noticing. It's worth it!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That was my thought, just sneak the anchovies in and don't say anything

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gonna have to steal that puttanesca with rice noodles idea for later on.

This week's meals:

Meatloaf with ssamjang glaze. Ground beef, sauteed onions & mushrooms, panko, egg, more ssamjang, sesame oil, crushed garlic and ground ginger.

Still have a couple of tubs of kimchi, so I'm good with veg for the week.

Ground beef chili with shell pasta and melted cheddar.

When you wake up craving a Cincinnati chili 4-way but live on the other side of the planet, this is the result.

E: LMFAO

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 30, 2018

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

[/quote]

I FEEL SO CALLED OUT

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

This week's food is so funny. I start high effort then it turns into "fuckin IDK" for the rest of it.

45 minutes of stirring ENGAGE

You soften celery and red onion in oil while chicken stock simmers in a separate pan, then you add rice. You stir forever while ladling in stock bit by bit until it absorbs. You also add in other flavor as you go, in this case added in a mix of cider vinegar, tomatoes, crushed basil leaves, dried basil, oil, salt and pepper. All throughout you keep eating little spoonfuls to make sure the rice is cooked.

The reason why you would cook rice like this instead of adding the same flavor but say, cooking in a rice cooker or boiling it is for the almost creamy consistency you can achieve by cooking high starch rice over low heat for a long time. The starch, oil and stock creates a thick sort of sauce that coats and binds the rice. It's worth trying if you have an hour to cook and are willing to give yourself carpal tunnel.

Risotto has a reputation of being difficult to cook but I don't really think so. It's just that you have to babysit and be stirring constantly. This was my first time trying one and it went fine.

I chopped up kale, carrots, turkey and radishes and tossed with spices for spring rolls

Guess what! I'm garbage at rolling these things! Decent use of leftover food that had to be eaten though.

Here's the point at which it goes from high effort to "fuckin IDK" because I had space for more food but was tired and didn't wanna cook anymore

Leftover cauliflower tossed in spices I guess??? An entire can of tuna below I guess?????

??????????????????????????????

At this point my brain was shot and my back hurt and I just wanted to go play video games so I emptied out a can of refried beans into these ones lmao

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

anakha posted:

I would unashamedly do that if I had time for cereal in the morning. It's early. gently caress measuring.

My lunch this week kind of sucks; used up some simmer sauces that need to be eaten, but their fat content is too high.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

QuarkMartial posted:

My lunch this week kind of sucks; used up some simmer sauces that need to be eaten, but their fat content is too high.

What did ya do with em bud

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

QuarkMartial posted:

I would unashamedly do that if I had time for cereal in the morning. It's early. gently caress measuring.

Get a digital scale, never have trouble measuring anything again. Another advantage: scaling recipes is a breeze, compared to figuring out what the gently caress 1/6 of a cup looks like or some weird poo poo like that.

Also, curse whomsoever gives recipes without weight-based measurements! Still, you only have to use something other than the scale one time.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 1, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Re: scales
I have one, but I'd rather portion it all out at once and just dump and go. I am generally in a rush in the morning, so I can't be bothered to weigh.

Re: sauce
Used the Aldi thai peanut sauce and some quorn cutlets*. It's higher in fat than I'd like - 20ish grams instead of the <10 gr from previous weeks. It also ended up being way saltier than expected.

*I'm tired of chicken and just wanted to try something new.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

QuarkMartial posted:

quorn cutlets*...*I'm tired of chicken and just wanted to try something new.

Ah, yes, the old strategy of paying way more for something that tries to imitate but still doesn't taste as good as the thing you're tired of. :)

Just get some lean boneless pork chops or something!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I usually just make a mess o' greens on the weekend. Collards or kale, usually, sometimes mustard greens. Whatever looks good when I do my shopping. Lunch is kind of utilitarian for me, just my greens and some fruit. Keeps my insides happy with me, too. Every now and then I'll make beans and rice.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

gleebster posted:

I usually just make a mess o' greens on the weekend. Collards or kale, usually, sometimes mustard greens. Whatever looks good when I do my shopping. Lunch is kind of utilitarian for me, just my greens and some fruit. Keeps my insides happy with me, too. Every now and then I'll make beans and rice.

I miss being a vegetarian; I was very lazy and just steamed/stir fried veggies and called it a day. Gets it done much faster than I do now where cooking is like, a 3 hour Sunday venture

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

The Midniter posted:

Ah, yes, the old strategy of paying way more for something that tries to imitate but still doesn't taste as good as the thing you're tired of. :)

Just get some lean boneless pork chops or something!

I mean, it wasn't more expensive than a similar amount of chicken and I like trying different things.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

gleebster posted:

Frozen turnip greens with the cut up little bits of turnip in them are my favorite. And black eyed and crowder peas.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

indyrenegade posted:

I miss being a vegetarian; I was very lazy and just steamed/stir fried veggies and called it a day. Gets it done much faster than I do now where cooking is like, a 3 hour Sunday venture

Oh, I'm no vegetarian; I just like to keep lunch simple.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Was sick all weekend and couldn't go out, so I made do with what I had on hand.

Chicken breast pieces in soy-honey glaze and sauteed baby bok choy.

More dragon noodles with the leftover bok choy. Couldn't go out to buy my usual egg noodles so used ramen noodles instead.

Interesting thing I learned today from this reddit post: if prepping steak, cook it only to rare as reheating will get it to medium rare.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
No real pictures to look at. It has dropped to 70F here. That means it's chili time. Leftovers are going to be portioned out for lunches.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I came across some deli containers, so I might do the same. I should find a good instant pot chili recipe.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Ms Cookies made an awesome kielbasa, potato, and cabbage soup. Have a little lunch-sized crockpot plugged in and just enjoyed it for lunch. It was superb. Can't wait for the farts.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Instant Pots or comparable electric pressure cookers are God's gift to meal prep. I used to do cold cuts that I brought to work for sandwiches, but that got so boring so fast. If you wanna have real fun and variety, and be healthy: legumes and rice. Nutritious, doubly so if you have some leafy greens as a side dish.

Brown rice in the instant pot. Make like two cups' worth of dry brown rice and you're good for maybe a week and a half, two weeks.

Take any bean recipe and use dry beans or legumes. You can do it all in one pot and not have to soak the beans, although I've found it really does help them cook evenly.

I did this with chickpeas and other stuff I needed to get rid of: https://imgur.com/gallery/Rj8orhq

You can make kickass Indian recipes - a pound of split red lentils is several weeks' worth of meals.

Make one batch, get it into containers, freeze it, make another batch, repeat. Keep 'em frozen, bring 'em in to work in the frozen state, and warm up as needed. Don't freeze the rice.

Use enough liquid to completely cover the beans. Learn to love Better Than Bouillon paste - it lasts forever, and if you have a Costco membership, blows chicken broth out of the water in terms of costs and convenience. 1 tsp of paste + 1 cup hot water = 1 cup chicken broth, and you can get it in a lower-sodium version to better control salt. http://instantpot.us/cooking-time/dry-beans-legume-and-lentils/ gives a handy breakdown of soaked and dry cooking times.

Wanna try a very different and VERY tasty nutritious bean dish? Sos pwa nwa. https://imgur.com/a/smCgM This recipe is for 1/2 a bag of beans, I'd go whole hog and use two bags. This is great stuff but it's blended at the end, so it eats fast.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
Started working second shift while my wife works first and after a month discovered neither of us will cook and so now it's time to fill the chest freezer I bought.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just throwing this out there: I riffed on the dragon noodles recipe and added two tablespoons of gochujang for a little more kick and more flavor. Didn't swap anything out, just added it to the sugar/chili paste/soy mix.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

indyrenegade posted:

Pasta puttanesca with rice noodles.

So I made this and did not like it. The capers were overpowering and I don't think it had enough tomato which could have helped it I think. Eh, live and learn.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sterster posted:

So I made this and did not like it. The capers were overpowering and I don't think it had enough tomato which could have helped it I think. Eh, live and learn.

Yeah, I make puttanesca all the time and the ratios in that recipe seem way off from what I use.

I usually use three or four anchovy fillets, two or three large cloves of garlic, 1 14-oz can of tomatoes, 1 shallot, 4-5 black olives, and a heaping teaspoon of capers (drained!) and a whole fuckload of red pepper flakes because I like spice. These are strong flavours, you don't need to go over the top with them.

I made the exact same mistake you did the first time I made it, for what it's worth.

On the other hand, it's not a meal I pre-prep ever because half the cool part of the dish is that I can chop the ingredients and cook the sauce in roughly the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

sterster posted:

to be fair - most of the time I just eyeball the recipe and don't measure anything

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Got myself an electric pressure cooker a few days ago and decided to break it in by trying to make beef rendang for the first time.

Forgot to take pics prior to putting the containers in the fridge, but I'd rate this a partial success. The ratio of paste to coconut milk in the recipe I followed seemed off and what I ended up with was soupier than intended, more like Thai curry than anything else. Still, it was tasty if not quite close to what I was aiming for.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Done meal prep for this week. Up fist is posole with extra lime, onion, cabbage & cilantro for all the toppings.

Then we did turkey meatballs with sticky ginger sauce and some rice and carrots.

Bababa bonus meal prep! Womp waaa air horn noise!
I've been super busy with learning how to become a dev at work and as such have been staying later than usual. So made this so I can just throw it in the oven when I get home.

Baked ziti

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

sterster posted:

Then we did turkey meatballs with sticky ginger sauce and some rice and carrots.

That looks delicious.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

QuarkMartial posted:

That looks delicious.

Thanks, one of my and my wife's goals when meal prepping is to make our dishes as delicious and eye appealing as possible. So all the small stuff we add to our dishes to make it a little better is important to us. From the carrots in this dish to all the toppings for the posole. Often when looking up meal prep stuff say on reddit. It's painfully sad to see some plain backed chicken with some rice. Granted they probably have different dietary needs. But still add some loving bell peppers or something for some color.

quote="indyrenegade" post="488865231"]
to be fair - most of the time I just eyeball the recipe and don't measure anything
[/quote]

Eh, no fault of your own. Just something new to me. I'm sure I could try to make it a couple more times and look at more recipes to figure something out that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Beef stew this week. I'm like a kid with a new toy with this electric pressure cooker.

The nice thing about being able to prep like this in bigger portions is that I actually have freezable surplus for the more hectic weekends when I don't have time to cook.

Gonna try for either tikka masala or callos next week.

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 22, 2018