Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Christmas when I was 11 or 12 and got an original Xbox and a copy of Splinter Cell is probably the reason I'm still a gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

roomforthetuna posted:

One of my earliest remaining memories, as an old person, is the Christmas for which I asked for Atari ST game "Bloodwych", which cost like $15 or something at the time, and my dad was like "are you sure you don't want something better?" and I was like "are you suuuure it's better? I don't think it's going to be better." (It was obviously not going to be better.)

Bam, Christmas day, turns out my dad got some kind of yamaha keyboard for me and my brother to share, which basically meant just for my brother because he was older and a total dick, and also neither of us wanted it anyway or had any interest in making music (but if I'd ever tried to have a go with it my brother would have instantly insisted it was his turn now anyway). And it was like $200 worth of gift. gently caress you dad, for the lovely gift of no games.

But on the other hand, the actual earliest 'memory' but mostly reconstructed from context, is a 48K Spectrum in 1982, which was years of fun and also seeded my career as a programmer, so thanks years-earlier dad. Also a great way to make friends through the power of piracy!

[Pulls the Uncle at Nintendo alarm]

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I also got Civ 3 and all expansions from my mom one Easter, which was really cool, especially since our family never did Easter presents before or since so it was completely unexpected

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Neither of my parents know anything about games, yet somehow, in retrospect, they ended up getting me the best games. Maybe advertising was better back then?

My parents were the same way and I have no idea how they did it. No clue why my mom bought me Civ 3 that Easter since I’d never played it, never asked for it, never even played any other strategy games or even PC games generally, but she still somehow picked a winner and I’ve been hooked on strategy/4X stuff ever since.

• Locked thread