Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i got an NES when i was like 4, i guess 1990? maybe even 89? it took my whole family 4 hours to figure out how to hook it up and then i stayed up all night with my uncle trying to get as far as we could in little nemo and monster party.

the christmas my wisdom teeth came in my brother got some Bleach fighting game for DS. i started playing it right after my mom gave me what i had assumed was a big ibuprofen or something and after about 30 minutes i'm thinking "this game is surprisingly good. this is like, the best game ever." that's when i realized my teeth didn't hurt at all anymore and i was very high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

goferchan posted:

I was adopted at birth and my adoptive parents sort of had a relationship with my birth mother and her parents (my biological grandparents) but i didn't know who they were, saw them rarely, and thought they were just like some loose "family friends" who sent me $100 every birthday. Anyway when I was probably like 5 or 6 i ended up going to Walmart with my birth mother when we were visiting them and she really really wanted to buy me a video game so I picked Godzilla for the original gameboy (which was a weird puzzle platformer with a wold map and a ton of branching paths). Had no idea why this young woman in her 20s wants to buy me a video game but I happily took it and I enjoyed Godzilla. Anyway it was only like 4 or 5 years ago that I met her for real and really hit it off with her and figured out what was up so basically the original gameboy version of Godzilla has extreme emotional significance to me and was maybe my most impactful Gift of Game

drat that is bittersweet as hell.

i thought of another one.

when i was like 15 my aunt married some really rich dude in new jersey and my family went up for the wedding and to stay in their bigass house for a week. while i was there my aunt's fiance asked me if i knew how to use a computer. when i said yes, he took me to best buy, we picked out a PC, and then he told me to just throw whatever else i wanted in the cart. i was insanely nervous about it but if i stopped and looked at anything for more than like 10 seconds he'd just grab it and throw it in. the main thing i remember getting was legacy of kain: soul reaver and sim theme park. i remember sim theme park because the PC he bought he wasn't even good enough to play it. i have no idea why i remember soul reaver other then i had a really cool joe mad poster of azrael from some gaming magazine and i'd wanted the game forever.

anyway a bunch of years later it turned out he had all that money from embezzling it from his company and he was secretly doing a bunch of heroin between his toes so he wouldn't have track marks.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
what is the fail did i get the wrong PC or PC game or what?

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
that's probably true. i remember it could play rollercoaster tycoon fine but sim theme park was all 3d instead of isometric and it just couldn't handle it for poo poo.

i think that's the PC i signed up for this forum on.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i didn't mean for it to come off that way. it was mostly a weird situation but yeah that was my first PC and it shaped who i am as a person and he was a very generous smack addict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
even as a kid someone telling me i could have literally anything i wanted seemed suspicious and wrong. it was still cool though.

• Locked thread