Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I know the AHL wants to cut travel costs but it does kinda blow that the Penguins are basically always playing the Bears or Phantoms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

In what universe does the ECHL have money for video replay, the players have to like, wash their own jerseys and stuff

Stockton and Ontario scored 8 goals in 13 minutes tonight. Box score includes such familiar faces as Peter Budaj, Matt Moulson, Brett Sutter, and Emerson Etem (Poopem)

https://theahl.com/stats/game-summary/1018357

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Mage_Boy posted:

Is it too early in the AHL season for me to be done with Clark Donatelli? Because I'm done with Clark Donatelli.

I always felt like the Baby Pens should have fared better in the AHL than they have given the talent that has come through and the ownership position they are in. gently caress, between the St John-Milwaukee-Chicago run they hold the AHL record for most consecutive Calder Cup final games lost.

Holy poo poo did that place used to rock, though. That banner for 38 sellouts (they played 2 games at the Civic Arena that year as the Pittsburgh Hornets) is no joke.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Did they bus in school kids? That's usually what those morning games are for

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Tristan Jarry scored

https://twitter.com/WBSPenguins/status/1062766066365939712

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

Hey Cortana, show me another reason why the minor leagues own so loving hard

https://twitter.com/CheckersHockey/status/1072546887876648960

Game ops gonna have to go buy some Tragically Hip albums

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

There were rumors that the 2001 Baby Pens who lost in the Calder Cup finals were "coached" by Dennis Bonvie and not Glenn Patrick, who was an assclown given the job because he's Craig Patrick's brother. The locker room didn't think much of him either, but of course you can't fight city hall so the following season they got rid of Bonvie. Then Wilkes-Barre missed the playoffs entirely.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Also you should definitely google the article Deadspin does every year about the actual real names of dudes taken in the WHL draft

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

In 2000-01 the Mississauga Ice Dogs won
3 games. They mercifully shipped Jason Spezza to Windsor 15 games into the season

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

hey Mage where might the baby Pens have moved to since they are actually owned by the Pittsburgh Penguins. Johnstown? Pittsburgh itself?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I would imagine the Pittsburgh Penguins owning the franchise kinda limited their options to move, there aren't many other markets nearby. Before Wilkes-Barre the Penguins farm team was in Syracuse and Cleveland.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Mage_Boy posted:

St John's is only accessible by ferry as well. And is in the Atlantic time zone.

Newfoundland has it's own time zone half an hour ahead of Atlantic time. I'm amazed minor league hockey keeps going there, I feel like the travel costs must be miserable.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I don't blame anyone for not going after they dropped down from the AHL tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

ahahahahaha so last year's Kelly Cup winner was the colorado eagles, who then moved up to the AHL

https://twitter.com/ACBellino/status/1134444002881744897

they never gave the trophy back

did the Orlando Solar Bears keep the Turner Cup after the IHL folded?