Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

It's almost cider season! :pranke: !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

Sours are cool I think.

Victory Brewing Sour Monkey is my “get shitfaced on 15 bucks” go-to six pack. It’s like drinking a sour warhead and it’s just shy of 12%

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I only drink vodka all Beer is poo poo op

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

serious norman posted:

I only drink vodka all Beer is poo poo op

:wrong:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

bloom posted:

The italian one is disappointing. I wish I could get Westvleteren but the only time I've seen it available it was like 20e a bottle and gently caress that.

Ferdinand, Bernard, Bohemia Regent, Holba, Primator off the top of my head. One thing I found in Prague when I visited was that a lot of bars have a pretty small selection so you'll probably want to try a bunch of different places. If you just order "beer"("pivo" in czech) like that one guy said you'll probably get Urquell(good but easily available abroad), Staropramen(garbage) or Gambrinus(garbage).

Thanks! Yeah I considered ordering Westvleteren but it just seems both overhyped and overpriced, I'm sure it's delicious but I can just buy a bunch of Rochefort 10's and be happy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
big fan of New England IPAs, I guess they're kind of trendy right now but they're really loving good. A local brewery makes a fantastic one but the best one I've seen in stores is called Two Juicy.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Sours are gross. IPAs are delicious and we need more of them. This thread has been corrected, good night.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

let it mellow posted:

yuengling bitch

i cant drink yuengling anymore since my gf at the time got insanely drunk off it and we were trying to do the dirty later on and her breath reeked of yuengling blechhh

E: actually wait it wasn't yuengling it was lionshead, the one with the little puzzles on the underside of the bottle caps

Yuengling black and tan was pretty good

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 29, 2018

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

gey muckle mowser posted:

big fan of New England IPAs, I guess they're kind of trendy right now but they're really loving good. A local brewery makes a fantastic one but the best one I've seen in stores is called Two Juicy.

There's a local brewery here that makes an IPA called Juicifer, it's really tasty. Probably one of my favorite beers ever.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

fridge corn posted:

i cant drink yuengling anymore since my gf at the time got insanely drunk off it and we were trying to do the dirty later on and her breath reeked of yuengling blechhh

Blech!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

new "craft" "brewers" make ipas because all the hops masks their gently caress ups and inexperience.

but for all the trendy poo poo merchants there are an equal number of good brewers. america has the best overall beer market in the world right now.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I got the aass beer a lot when I was in norway. For that week i not only ate rear end but drank it. I don't know how you guys drink regularly up there though, i would probably go broke within a month with how much they charge.

Yeah, I no joke spent more on beer than interest on my mortgage last year, but tbf that included a lot of pity buys from my friends new brewery start up, to no ones surprise they mostly make foul IPAs

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Craft beers were great about 15 years ago when they were all trying different flavors. They were all drinkable. Then IPAs hit, and it was like, I can't drink this. Then the IBA wars went on and the IPAs went from undrinkable to just stupid why bother this doesn't even taste like beer anymore.

I can understand why my parents like Bud and Coors now. I mean, those to me are total piss poo poo undrinkable because they have no flavor, but that is what my Bass and Harp must taste like to the 20 year olds today who are pounding down the latest session and double IPA beers.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

my city is drowning in new england IPAs and overrun by tourists here to visit our 10 20 5000 breweries

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I went to an Indian restaurant a couple weeks ago and found out they no longer carry King Fisher because the brewery has gone out of business. They haven't just stopped importing it, it's gone. I blame this on IPAs, the success of which I blame on idiots who pretend to like that hoppy bitter bullshit. I long for the day when the fad dies and lagers can actually get some shelf space again.

Please don't cry.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

All beer tastes the same to me: like poo poo

Wine and liquor is where it's at

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

my city is drowning in new england IPAs and overrun by tourists here to visit our 10 20 5000 breweries

So you live in Tampa too?

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Randarkman posted:

Canadian Old Style Pilsner is due to me having spent a year in Canada and my habit of just ordering "a pilsner" leading everyone to assume this was what I wanted, that said I grew to like it alot and drank it pretty much exclusively, pretty cheap too as far as I can remember.

There's others as well, and whenever I'm abroad I'll just drink whatever's on offer ofcourse, but those stand out for me.

Ah.. sweet Saskatchewan champagne

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I used to hate IPAs but then I found one from a local brewery that tasted really good and had a really high ABV%, so it would get me drunk faster. It's now my favorite beer

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
The best beer is actually root beer.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Stink Billyums posted:

The best beer is actually root beer.

True story: Driving in Texas early one morning, I was prevented from buying a root beer by a very Indian gas station clerk who insisted that he couldn't sell alcohol before 10 AM. After a few minutes of trying to explain, I had to bring him to the cooler to show him that root beers were, in fact, stored with the soda and not the alcohol. He didn't even apologize.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
some ipas are fine, really hoppy beers are fine, sour beers are fine, as long as theyre good beers......there are good and bad beers of all.beer varieties

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

The thing I like a lot about craft beer is that it's really seasonal, so you get all kinds of cool stuff that pairs with the weather that may not have a big enough pull year-round for the breweries to release otherwise. Right now when it's balls hot you get super light session IPAs, juicy radlers, saisons, and tart/salty goses, all hovering below 5% ABV so you don't become a hot, sweaty mess.

Autumn gets marzens, red/brown ales, and rye beers, winter gets super strong imperial stouts, heavy porters, and spiced ales, you get a few Irish reds around St. Patrick's Day, and spring brings crisp pale ales, pilsners, and hefeweisens.

I've developed a lot of seasonal favorites, and it's cool to see them return every year when the weather gets warm or when Christmas gets closer. I know some people who drink the same stuff regardless of season, but it's just rough trying to down a Belgian quad when it's 95 degrees, and a Red Stripe or German Blonde just doesn't have enough heft when it's below zero outside.

I'm also a big fan of a lot of IPAs, but I agree that they make up way too much of the lineup of most breweries, and it's a shame that it's pretty much required for them to do so to provide regular, dependable sales (sorta like crossovers for most car manufacturers nowadays). I'd still argue, though, that breweries now are trying out a lot more new ideas than they were 10-15 years ago simply because the industry is big enough that they have the capacity to do so. It's just a matter of making sure they have the output to get their non-IPAs bottled and distributed.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

thomawesome posted:

So you live in Tampa too?

nah, the cool portland.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

fridge corn posted:

some ipas are fine, really hoppy beers are fine, sour beers are fine, as long as theyre good beers......there are good and bad beers of all.beer varieties

The same could be said of all religions.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Kazak posted:

It's almost cider season! :pranke: !

Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Palemdromes posted:

The same could be said of all religions.

Your words are as empty as your soul

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I broadly disagree with your broadly disagreeable opinion.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Lately I've had a thing for Cream ales. They're very refreshing.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
English beer nerds: there's now a monastery doing Trappist beer in england, its called tynt meadow and its p good. Well, the taste is nice, they just need to up the carbonation a little.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

el dingo posted:

English beer nerds: there's now a monastery doing Trappist beer in england, its called tynt meadow and its p good. Well, the taste is nice, they just need to up the carbonation a little.

Most Trappist beer is pretty low in the carbonation department anyway, isn't it? They depend more on the yeast to provide the CO2 rather than infusing it.

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

el dingo posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Hopefully more English Trappist style beers are released as a result.

Brewdogs marketing really pisses me off. It's obnoxious but also really smart at the same time. Stop telling people who are having a midlife crisis that buying shares in a company is punk.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Coors and Red Stripe are the only beers I need. Occasionally a 12 pack of Stella.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker

I like to melt jolly ranchers in my scotch

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

The thing I like a lot about craft beer is that it's really seasonal, so you get all kinds of cool stuff that pairs with the weather that may not have a big enough pull year-round for the breweries to release otherwise. Right now when it's balls hot you get super light session IPAs, juicy radlers, saisons, and tart/salty goses, all hovering below 5% ABV so you don't become a hot, sweaty mess.

Autumn gets marzens, red/brown ales, and rye beers, winter gets super strong imperial stouts, heavy porters, and spiced ales, you get a few Irish reds around St. Patrick's Day, and spring brings crisp pale ales, pilsners, and hefeweisens.

I've developed a lot of seasonal favorites, and it's cool to see them return every year when the weather gets warm or when Christmas gets closer. I know some people who drink the same stuff regardless of season, but it's just rough trying to down a Belgian quad when it's 95 degrees, and a Red Stripe or German Blonde just doesn't have enough heft when it's below zero outside.

I'm also a big fan of a lot of IPAs, but I agree that they make up way too much of the lineup of most breweries, and it's a shame that it's pretty much required for them to do so to provide regular, dependable sales (sorta like crossovers for most car manufacturers nowadays). I'd still argue, though, that breweries now are trying out a lot more new ideas than they were 10-15 years ago simply because the industry is big enough that they have the capacity to do so. It's just a matter of making sure they have the output to get their non-IPAs bottled and distributed.

some seasonal stuff is fine but I groan every fall when all the orange bottles come out. That poo poo sucks and ruins variety packs.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Thanks! Yeah I considered ordering Westvleteren but it just seems both overhyped and overpriced, I'm sure it's delicious but I can just buy a bunch of Rochefort 10's and be happy.

I've had quite a bit of westvleteren and st bernardous 12 is extremely similar

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
all beer is the same to me. Nothing I would write home about when I'm sober, delicious when I'm drunk.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

If you like Belgians do yourself a favor and get some Kwak

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
"Two pints of your cheapest lager, please" I say to the barkeep as I stare down three hipsters sipping their sours in the corner table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

some seasonal stuff is fine but I groan every fall when all the orange bottles come out. That poo poo sucks and ruins variety packs.

This is true. Pumpkin ales/porters/whatever have kind of usurped marzens/Oktoberfests as the official Autumn beer and it sucks because so many of them are just horrible. There is one fantastic example in there, though, and it's Hi-Wire's Sour Pumpkin Ale. It's outrageously expensive at $11 a 12oz bottle, but it's so tasty I've committed myself to buying one or two a year as a treat.

• Locked thread