Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Howdy! I finally decided to make a DIY thread on my DIY project: A log cabin in the scandinavian wildernesses to act as my personal refuge from the ills of this world/whiskey repository, built by mostly just me with some fatherly and brotherly (and occasionally girlfriendly) help and well-meaning advice. Moderate encouragement from such goons as the venerable chaps of the Law School and Lawyer megathread indirectly put me up to making a thread about it, but it's mostly my idea. Just like the cabin.

The project is ticking along at this point, in fact I'm actually near finished. Thought I'd take my time and do this reasonably piecemeal so you could follow along as I realize my dream of building my own cabin in the wilderness.

I'll start with the beginning.

In the early days of 2016 I was offered a very nice piece of land for a very reasonable sum with a condition: Build something on it, and do it quickly. It was the kind of offer one couldn't refuse. Or shouldn't. One of those.

It looked something like this:

It was fairly high up, cresting a bit of a hill and looking down on a steep valley not untypical of mountainous country. As a hunter, hiker and general leave-me-the-heck-alone-for-a-minute-er I jumped at the idea. Well, I say jumped. It wasn't all that easy.
There were several problems with the location.

One, permits. Not easy to get at the outset, but particularly hard for something and somewhere with no infrastructure or prep. No zoning regs. Just nature, all by its lonesome in all its protected glory.
Two, the location itself. It was the middle of the woods, no road, no water, no power, no nothing. Build it all from scratch or carry it all in or go home.
Three, I'm not a builder. I'm an office worker of the worst sort. I had never before built a cabin, didn't know much about any of it and now I was responsible pretty much by myself for getting the thing built, and mostly by my own labour as well (who the hell can really afford pros these days anyway).

Naturally, I belted in a digger and got to work.*

*for certain definitions of "I" and "work" which means I actually had a friend do it. For reasons of information safety and personal protection, the digger and operator are anonymized by omission.

The top part of the picture is where we dug all the way down to bedrock. Didn't have to go down very far, which is one of the prime benefits of building on a mountain. Bedrock is ideal for anchoring pillars both for sufficient load bearing capacity and levelling, and the big problem of building in these parts: frost heaving. The soil, particularly the thinner strata of mountainous areas, gets very frosty in winter and moves around. A lot. Way too much to build anything on, unless it weighs an incredible amount. So concrete pillars with rebar reinforcement it was.

Luckily, we were pretty on the level.

There was also a nice helping doggo :3:

He was responsible for keeping all the moose away.

After all of that mess, all I needed was a cabin! So I set out to search, and through the northern european equivalent of craigslist I found most of a cabin for sale. So long as I went and tore it down first. A failed project gone up for sale, which naturally gave me myself some cause for anxiety - what the hell was I doing and thinking trying to build a cabin by myself? What if my project was next? Nevertheless, I persisted.

For reasons of doxxing, I can't show any pictures of that part of the process. Needless to say, this work took me most of 2016 just by itself. But in the end, I had a complete framework for a traditional log cabin in the stave log style, ready for business permits willing. (yes, that's right, the cabin is actually pretty much 99% reclaimed wood, of luckily fairly high quality. It's very emissions-friendly, almost no trees died as a direct result of my cabinetry and almost nothing went to waste. I can honestly say I handled every bit of wood in this cabin by myself)

Permits willed and I cracked on.

There's an unfortunate lack of images from these early days (that I feel I can share), but this was eventually remedied. Maybe. I didn't plan to post about it ever to be honest. Things happened at a pretty breakneck pace at that point, because winter was fast approaching (in the mountains, this is always the case) and winter is pretty much when you can't really effectively build or work all that much outside when you're on a mountain. I was desperate to get as far as I could to protect the pine wood before the snows came.

By late autumn, the structure was done.

I had help from my brother and my uncle (an actual pro) in getting the beams in place, getting everything adjusted right so it'd take weight properly, and then I was on my own mostly. I got to work.

I was determined to beat winter to the punch and have my poo poo together, make sure the walls were at least in to protect the timber some come the winter storms, despite the rather significant delays caused by my optimistic time table of carefully demolishing most of a cabin and then building a cabin. By late late autumn I had gotten into a steady and fairly rapid rythm of construction, I was making some very good progress, and I figured I had a good chance of reaching my goal before the first snows.

I failed.

Next episode:

-~*preview of some future post from the world of tomorrow but actually 2017*~- posted:

Dear Diary

Disaster! Winter has struck my expediton a lethal blow. The porters, sherpas and bushmen have abandoned us to be savaged by the elements and eaten by cannibals. We are very nearly out of toilet paper, and I fear we shall never feel the warm embrace of undamaged pinewood again! I have resorted to eating some strange fungus and I hear chanting in the night. Chanting...

No but seriously, thanks for reading, please feel free to ask questions, mock my general and specific stupidity and lack of workmanship if you find cause. Next update ought to be at least somewhat more interesting, because 2017 is where the magic happens or so I'm told. Also no loving doxxing whatsover or the thread is going to go away and I will hate all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Forums poster "Nice piece of fish," Have you considered changing your name to "Nice piece of wood" or "Nice bit of doggo," or perhaps even "Nice piece of land?" I'm much enthralled by this venture, and we're only one post in.

Another question re: pillars... Are those secured by any method other than gravity? I've seen houses built up in such a method, but never looked into methods of securing such raised structures so that they wouldn't topple over in a stiff breeze.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm pretty curious about the circumstances that forced you to build quickly, but more than that I'm just interested to see how it turns out.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Forums poster "Nice piece of fish," Have you considered changing your name to "Nice piece of wood" or "Nice bit of doggo," or perhaps even "Nice piece of land?" I'm much enthralled by this venture, and we're only one post in.

Another question re: pillars... Are those secured by any method other than gravity? I've seen houses built up in such a method, but never looked into methods of securing such raised structures so that they wouldn't topple over in a stiff breeze.

Hi and welcome! Those are all excellent suggestions I will take under advisement. However, changing my name would mean that my avatar would have the wrong initials. And I really like my avatar. I'll have to keep it in mind.

The pillars are secured by gravity, sure, and also by joinery - the beams and cross beams slot into the wood and provide a surprising amount of lateral stability. This stability is further enhanced by massive galvanized wood screws about the size of your forearm ratcheted(?) into the top and bottom of the vertical pillars to secure them in place. This is even further helped by the introduction of the roof planks and framing work, which is built between the vertical pillars and really stiffens the wood up. I was supposed to get that done before the snow.

As it was, the structure had to winter without that reinforcement. Time will tell if the entire structure collapsed along with my dreams (it didn't, it's built, I'm getting to that part).

What I will say though is that this is a very beefy method of construction that is time tested to hell and back. There are loads of hundreds of years old cabins built like this even in the same municipality. It works, and it's appropriate for the location. I hope mine will stay for a while too.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm pretty curious about the circumstances that forced you to build quickly, but more than that I'm just interested to see how it turns out.

The short and sweet of it: Zoning laws. The area in question was up for regulation, which means that any new permits to build or parcel out land would be denied until a detailed zoning regulation was in place (probably an enviro-coded one that permits nothing). Now, this land had already been surveyed and parceled out and so a building permit could be issued on that plot alone. However, by law, that piece of land would revert back to the previous ownership if nothing was built on it within five years and the previous permissions would evaporate. To parcel it out again would then require the private party to pay for a local zoning regulation plan made by some company - if indeed it was even possible to parcel it out again after new national/regional guidelines - and that cost alone would probably be somewhere in the area of 50 000 USD. Not in my budget, that.

So, the property had to go, fast. And I had to build and document my build, fast. And I did. Maybe too fast. We'll see.

Thanks for following along and I'll get to posting with more interesting stuff when I'm able, I don't have a ton of pictures from 2017 but I have come into possession of some videos, and I have to decide how I'm gonna do with those and if I can show them to you good folks. Particularly the winter shots and the snow mobile stuff is pretty ok.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 30, 2018

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Ahhh, that makes sense, I just never thought it out. In the meantime I shall await further updates. Can't wait to see the progress.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
The adventure continues! It's 2017!

It turns out I'm not much of a video editor, but I managed to shoddily cobble together some basic clips from random visits at random times in the building process. These are for the most part not my videos, as I didn't much bother to video or take much pictures in 2017, so expect some leaps in progress that don't make much sense. I've also reread my OP and decided I need to reduce the goof level of my posts. Also, I guess the posts are a bit huge and I guess I'm kind of rushing through 2016 and 2017, because I genuinely don't have as many pictures as I thought I did. Guess I was too busy. As always, feel free to ask me anything you might be left wondering about.

Firstly, we continue where we ended last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1MGsk8f478

The video shows a visit from a couple of weeks after snow melt. The cabin structure weathered winter reasonably well, although there was a good deal of staining I later had to grind off and treat with anti-fungal remedies. I was busy doing the framing work first thing to shore up the structure for safety and had gotten well underway with the underfloor as well. Not pictured: A lot of loving carrying. A lot.

Well, maybe not too soon after snow melt after all. Hard to remember the details now.

After framing and setting the windows, there was the matter of wind proofing. Mountaintops, surprise surprise, get a huge amount of powerful wind. Now, stave log cabins aren't known for being terribly well suited to windy conditions, but they are a sight better than traditional log cabins. To make sure I was overengineering enough, I covered my asphalt waterproof plating with a special made wind cloth that's designed to allow moisture to escape, but prevent air and water coming through the other end. Like a high tech rain coat. It works like all hell, so long as you put it on the right way. I hope I did. It's normally used on the coast which gets both heavy winds and a lot of rain, fog and general moisture. In old times they used asbestos plating, but that is obviously not happening anymore. In older times they just dealth with poo poo, but I'm not a hard man. I want my damned comfort.

The windows were tossed in as well. They are an art form in and of themselves, but aren't really too worthy of notice other than having to carry them in, and luckily I had help doing that and putting them in. You might notice a big white one. I got that one on sale and figured I'd sacrifice a wall to get a bit of a view in there. It turned out to be a good decision, as you'll see soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0TZ-GejAuU

After that, I went ahead and started on my outside paneling. Not pictured, a loving ton more carrying, a lot of adjusting poo poo and the weeks/months that passed by without a visitor. Worth mentioning, I took the time to completely go over the underside of the paneling and the pillars and bottom framing to rodent-proof the cabin. This is done with just miles of metal splints in every conceivable crack and under every single wood board. In the end the outside was drat near more metal than wood. But hey, overengineering is apparently what I'm good at.

As the last image shows, there was need of a roof. Tarps make a terrible roof, and I was going for the traditional solution (with a slight twist), a sod roof. Go read about it, it's pretty cool.
"My" version is a welder-glued layer of roofing asphalt attached to the roof with a bottom layer of rock wool insulation (allows the roots to attach and prevents slippage while ensuring insulation and drainage) with sod on top. I had an actual builder come in and do the roof plate, and that's the only part of the build that had a professional work on it. Naturally, he hosed it up, but luckily I'm an attourney so I didn't have much trouble with that and it turned out alright in the end after it was all done completely over again. At this point, just the water tight top would actually do to protect the cabin, so the rest came later.

The rain gutter system was put in as well, soil drainage style. Well, it was kind of bodged to be more or less functional, but it did work.

Then, there was the inside. Much work needed doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRL3cwYY8yQ

Not the least of which insulation. More carrying poo poo. The underfloor was covered with a water proof breathing membrane for indoors and the floor was insulated. Then, the walls were insulated with fiber glass insulation. Nice and fire-proof. Wood isn't, but the fibre glass is, which is nice. By the way, fibre glass is really irritating on the skin, face, mouth, nose and lungs. This was not the fun part of the build.

I cracked on with the inside paneling as well. In between, and not pictured, endless adjustments and caulking between the pillars for airtightness and draft-elimination. This took more time than I'd like to admit. So did the paneling. Every board inside and out on the cabin was individually carved to act together as a jigsaw puzzle. Pure sadism. It took me longer to sort them out and adjust them than it did actually screwing them in place.

Having fixed a flue and chimney (pictured is also rockwool and sod going on) I found myself a sweet wood stove on sale. High tech, clean burning, 105 kilos of pure Dovre quality. It was a a discontinued model on sale for less than 1000 USD, nominal effect of 6500 watts and roughly 80% energy conversion efficiency. Perfect. Apart from the having to carry the loving thing in.

On the outside, a kind visitor stained the outside with anti-fungal hard use water resistant wood staining to make it all look a little more at home in the woods.

Things were going pretty well at this point, progress was good and I was looking to get the inside of the cabin mostly ready by... the time....

poo poo.

Yeah. Winter came early in 2017, and what a wonderful old time it was. We got caught in a snowstorm and had to hurry down the mountain while the tires on my car could carry us. And that's all there was time for in 2017.

Unless...

video removed

Yes! I bought a snow mobile! The project endures!

Join me next time when we start to see more of a finished result, how the cabin can be a good place and a little more about the surrounding plot and woods. The fruits of nature and such. Not just talking about gay smurfs either. In 2018 the cabin got a lot more usable, a lot more decorative, and a lot more cozy.

Thanks for reading, and I'll try to include more details in 2018 as we start approaching the present day Mountain Cabin.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 23, 2019

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

this looks cool as the dickens and basically a dream of mine, but a couple of your videos are straight broken

edit: ok the second one works now, maybe it's a 'you literally just uploaded it and youtub is still thinking about it' thing

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

PopeCrunch posted:

this looks cool as the dickens and basically a dream of mine, but a couple of your videos are straight broken

edit: ok the second one works now, maybe it's a 'you literally just uploaded it and youtub is still thinking about it' thing

Whoa, really? That blows, I'll see if I can figure it out as soon as possible.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Uh yeah, I guess I kind of don't know what I'm doing with youtube anymore :v: I did something, and it is now apparently "published" so now it ought to work. Maybe.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Hooray it works now! Thank you

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Thanks for letting me know, I just threw it all up last night and obviously didn't do my due diligence on whether it worked. It's been ages since I uploaded anything to youtube.

I probably forgot stuff as well, but this year was a lot better constructionwise and I got a lot done on the inside so once I'm through sorting my pictures out things should improve a bit visually speaking. As a future hint I'm currently painting and staining the inside as a final touch before I declare the interior "done".

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
Cool hytte!

how much of the project was reused from the one you tore down ? and what about cost of the whole thing ?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Klogdor posted:

Cool hytte!

how much of the project was reused from the one you tore down ? and what about cost of the whole thing ?

Takk takk, det bi likar etterhvert

Quite a lot, actually. The entire structure, most of the windows, the majority of the panels, the insulation and the floor. Basically. I tell you, it was absolute hell to pull all that down with minimal damage, refurbish it and try and make it work in the new configuration. I basically didn't save much labour compared to buying a set or using new panels for instance. It was a lot more cost efficient, though.

As for the money aspect, I had budgeted around 40-50 000 USD up to completion but I've probably easily spent twice that. Mostly on fuel, transport, new materials and furnishings. Luckily, most of it came out of savings.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

The adventure continues! It's 2017!

Did the contractor put the nails over the seams instead of under them? If not can you explain what he did wrong? I'm trying to figure out what all those "patches" are from. Might just be a building style I'm not familiar with...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

schmug posted:

Did the contractor put the nails over the seams instead of under them? If not can you explain what he did wrong? I'm trying to figure out what all those "patches" are from. Might just be a building style I'm not familiar with...

Nah, used the wrong kind of roofing screws (self sealing) so that he drilled through the roof. Roof looked like someting a weird indian guy would sit on. The patches are overlapping asphalt glue torch-welded strips that go above and below the screws.

The patches are supposed to look like that, it's an industrial method and it's supposed to ensure a quality seal for like 50-100 years. Probably more so long as there's a sod roof, since the roofing is protected. Normally you'd use birch bark (like when you make a birch bark canoe) in layers to achieve the same effect and that lasts half a century, so... Here's hoping. There's asphalt glue on the underside of the plates as well, gluing them to the roof. It is a motherfucker to get back off. I know, because I did it. I had to use (and almost broke) a goddamned crowbar for every single inch.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hi and welcome! Those are all excellent suggestions I will take under advisement. However, changing my name would mean that my avatar would have the wrong initials. And I really like my avatar. I'll have to keep it in mind.

Nice plank of fir

There you go.

(Nice house, would want to visit.)

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Gramps?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nielsm posted:

Nice plank of fir

There you go.

(Nice house, would want to visit.)

Not bad. Although, no fir in the cabin. Only pine.

It's a good place to hang out. Painting inside is almost done now, but that's a few updates down the road. Gonna get to posting from jan 2018 soon.

The one and the same. Which one are you, then?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

The one and the same. Which one are you, then?

It's a secret. :ssh:
(I miss our days in Chernarus)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hasselblad posted:

It's a secret. :ssh:
(I miss our days in Chernarus)

Very mysterious. I'll just assume you're an Umdrehung rereg then...

Kidding aside, me too buddy. There was really nothing like it, was there? (for those following along at home, this is all a very specific and very nerdy callback to better nerd times because of course it is)

Anyway, I'll be back on topic soon once I sort through my videos to see if there's anything I can use.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Alright, folks. It's the first quarter of 2018 and we're at least starting to approach present day.

After getting surprised by winter and having to drat near escape down a mountain to avoid getting trapped, I decided on a different approach to working on the cabin during winter; actually working on the cabin during winter.

Goddamn snow bullshit.

Winter can, however, be a beautiful time in the mountains.

It can also be quite cold. Obviously, the first thing that needed to be in place would be the wood stove that I've posted about previously. It's briefly shown in the last video of the last update, but it was actually one of the first things that I put in in 2018, after having prepared the chimney and flue before getting chased off the mountain. Before that, I'd been using a portable gas (propane and propane accessories) stove to get some warmth to work in, which was a problematic stopgap at best.

Propane stoves are somewhat effective, but they provide a different kind of heat than a wood stove does. For one, it's much less dry, and the humidity of the still-not-dry pinewood combined with the warmth and lack of ventilation from the portable gas stove made working inside something of a chore. The wood stove quickly became a priority.

And honestly, this stove was LIT (and also there was a fire made inside). Nothing really breathes life into a building like a wood fire, it's like a primal need. This had a twofold effect, it provided a very suitable heat (seriously, enough for twice the size of the cabin thermomathemagically) and it started drying out the cabin and the wood inside. The first bit of comfort.

Some of you may also have noticed the tiny radio. Obviously, you have to have a tiny radio in a cabin. Unfortunately, the entire country has abandoned the FM standard of radio transmission (this is a little fun fact for y'all), so that radio is a digital radio in the "DAB+" or something format. This has two effects: The reception is terrible and it loving eats batteries. Seriously, like 4 double A batteries per two days. The politicians that did this to us have got my sincere displeasure for forever.

Anyway, one major benefit of driving a snow mobile (and for that matter securing the permit for one, which is harder than it sounds) is that you can use it for transport. And I did!

Like my sled? I made it myself. Well, the wood part. It's less wonky than it looks, it looks all crooked on the picture for some reason and it is quite robust, but I'm going to improve it later with some more bracing and some thicker supports anyway. Bigger than it looks too, 1 meter by 2,5. Extremely handy.

I used it to transport up... the kitchen!

Nothing too special about it, really. It's IKEA. Yeah, I know, but I didn't (and still don't) want to spend a lot of money on cabin kitchen that's mostly functional and I'm gonna do some modifications eventually anyway. It turned out fine. The cooking stove is propane, and so is the refrigerator. I messed up, though. Can you tell? The refrigerator is propane powered, which means it needs... vents! And I made none. So that was non-functional until I fixed it later. Luckily, it was cold outside, so the beer was saved. You might also notice the chandelier. Some cheeky fucker hung that up there without permission while I wasn't around. It has since been taken down and will not make a re-apperance.

It's not very stylish at the moment, but it's functional. And, there's a drain. Which is always nice.

I also took the opportunity to drive in some furniture. Oh yeah, and I built a divider between the bedrooms. Once in proper panels, and the other one in some rougher ones I got super cheap (because they were also reclaimed) since I ran out of proper ones. See if you can spot the difference.

So that's most of the first quarter year's progress. I'm ending this post on Easter, which we celebrated at the cabin. It was a wonderful time, blazing sun during the day, cold and dark during the night, and the first time we really got to make use of the cabin. There were loads of visits by friends and family, some whiskey, and many silly board games and Easter radio programs. For as long as the batteries held.

That's what I got for you this time. Nothing useful in terms of videos, unfortunately, and less pictures than I thought as well and for the same reason; they are mostly pictures of and with family and friends and I don't feel like I can post pictures of people without their consent. So I won't. I'm learning that most picture and video taking seems to happen when I have visitors, or someone accompanies me that day to help out, and that makes it harder to find pictures I can show off. Luckily, I think I've already started remedying this and I'm taking loads more pictures that actually show stuff. Approaching present day (next time is summer, some more indoors and outdoors work, including closing off the bedrooms and making my very own sliding doors), feel free to make requests for pictures and video of specific and general things because I'm going to be spending time up there doing some finishing touches and I have a lot of stuff left to do.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed wintertime!

schmug
May 20, 2007

WOW! Well done. I'm quite jealous.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

schmug posted:

WOW! Well done. I'm quite jealous.

Thank you, that's very kind! It's been a hell of a process so far and I don't think I can claim to have been properly prepared. I have learned a lot, though. Feel free to ask if you're left wondering about anything.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Does your wood burner draw outside air for combustion or from your interior area?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hasselblad posted:

Does your wood burner draw outside air for combustion or from your interior area?

Interior. It actually (as far as I understand modern stoves) has a secondary air intake that causes a secondary combustion of the wood gases causing a much more complete combustion of the wood overall. In effect, it produces much more heat per unit of wood, causes much less smoke, a lot less embers and thereby fire risk and leaves a lot less ash than traditional stoves and so needs much less cleaning. I can confirm all of the above.

Essentially, it ventilates the inside as it heats causing great indoor air quality. I'm very happy with it.

E: Forgot to mention, due to the aforementioned secondary combustion effect, it's essentially self-cleaning (on the inside) as it gets complete combustion of soot and carbon and such.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 23, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Interior. It actually (as far as I understand modern stoves) has a secondary air intake that causes a secondary combustion of the wood gases causing a much more complete combustion of the wood overall. In effect, it produces much more heat per unit of wood, causes much less smoke, a lot less embers and thereby fire risk and leaves a lot less ash than traditional stoves and so needs much less cleaning. I can confirm all of the above.

Essentially, it ventilates the inside as it heats causing great indoor air quality. I'm very happy with it.

E: Forgot to mention, due to the aforementioned secondary combustion effect, it's essentially self-cleaning (on the inside) as it gets complete combustion of soot and carbon and such.

Only reason I mention it is with an air supply from outside, you are not pooping your warm interior air out the flue. If you are drawing from interior air, you are *pulling cold air in from outside through cracks in walls/doors/etc to compensate, thereby lowering the efficiency of overall heating. The only downside with the outside air supply is the loving omnipresent wasps here in the warm months that make themselves at home in the vent.

Our fireplace draws from the outside and poops out the burny air. No air is sucked out of the home. Once the radiant heat gets going it can stay hot and burn a lot longer with less fuel once you dial it in. Much like a good smoker.

(*or if you are in a 100% sealed cabin your air pressure will be sucked out and your eyeballs will explode in a comically violent way)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 23, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hasselblad posted:

Only reason I mention it is with an air supply from outside, you are not pooping your warm interior air out the flue. If you are drawing from interior air, you are *pulling cold air in from outside through cracks in walls/doors/etc to compensate, thereby lowering the efficiency of overall heating. The only downside with the outside air supply is the loving omnipresent wasps here in the warm months that make themselves at home in the vent.

Our fireplace draws from the outside and poops out the burny air. No air is sucked out of the home. Once the radiant heat gets going it can stay hot and burn a lot longer with less fuel once you dial it in. Much like a good smoker.

(*or if you are in a 100% sealed cabin your air pressure will be sucked out and your eyeballs will explode in a comically violent way)

Well, that last part hasn't happened yet, so here's hoping.

Anyway, yes, that's pretty much correct. I believe it's actually standard now with the newest environment-friendly high tech buildings to do something like this, I can't think of any cabins with this kind of system (that I would call cabins, anyway). There's actually a point in having the stove work the way it does. Firstly, it provides plenty of heat that radiates and settles into the relatively large amounts of interior wood in these kinds of cabins - there's a kind of ambient warmth in there once it's heated up some. Secondly, it provides a type of drying ventilation, that ensures (with no electrical airconditioning etc.) that the inside of the cabin is both dehumidified and provided fresh air. This is important for several reasons, also in that it helps to preserve the wood (moisture is mold city with the kind of climate that's up there) and it provides a pleasant indoor air quality.

You can actually track and measure the air dryness on the inside by just observing microcracks in the the roof beams and the posts, if you're very familiar with the inside of the cabin. As it dries, microcracks appear and widen and that's how you know the timber doesn't carry a lot of water - which you don't want them to do, to avoid mold, avoid damp and cold textiles and to ensure the wood heats quickly and evenly.

All in all, it works pretty well. It's nice to look at and it provides something like twice as much heat as I actually need for the space, which turns out to be just perfect. As it is, it uses a surprisingly small amount of wood to heat properly, so that's not really a concern at the moment... though I do cut and chop my own firewood so ask me again after I'm done prepped for winter. I might not be so chipper about it then.

E: Also, just to mention, there was snow tonight at the cabin's altitude so I may have less time to work on it this year than I thought...

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 24, 2018

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Skide fin hytte og god udsigt!

Det har du sgu gjort godt Fisk.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ssthalar posted:

Skide fin hytte og god udsigt!

Det har du sgu gjort godt Fisk.

Takk takk! Noe må man da kunne bruke fjell til. Er det mye hytter i Danmark egentlig? Har jeg faktisk aldri tenkt på? Mere landsted, kanskje?

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Takk takk! Noe må man da kunne bruke fjell til. Er det mye hytter i Danmark egentlig? Har jeg faktisk aldri tenkt på? Mere landsted, kanskje?

Er faktisk ikke helt klar over det.
Går ud fra det meste bare er en form for sommerhus eller noget i den stil.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

hellfire and damnation but i wanna hole up in that cabin and only come down to civilization twice a year for crates of whiskey and other supplies, just go full bearded hermit screaming naked at birds in the summers and cheerfully contemplating the end of civilization in the winters

schmug
May 20, 2007

PopeCrunch posted:

hellfire and damnation but i wanna hole up in that cabin and only come down to civilization twice a year for crates of whiskey and other supplies, just go full bearded hermit screaming naked at birds in the summers and cheerfully contemplating the end of civilization in the winters

:same:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ssthalar posted:

Er faktisk ikke helt klar over det.
Går ud fra det meste bare er en form for sommerhus eller noget i den stil.

Typisk. Dere får klatre til fjells for å bøte på lavlandssyke.

PopeCrunch posted:

Agreed. Though these birds might yell back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKprLmovb1Q

Well, burp.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Alright, so we're getting to summer of 2018 and first thing's first, there's one more big thing remaining on the inside. Closing off the bedrooms.

After careful consideration and no small amount of arrogance, I decided that I was gonna use part of the wall to make my own sliding doors in the same materials as the wall itself instead of just buying and installing boring old regular doors. Seemed like a nice touch that would tie the whole thing together, make the wall look a little more interesting and save some space while I was at it.

The process involved using a router (no not the internet kind) upside down to grind out a space for the rail under the roof divider. This was easier said than done, but after a mountain of wood dust and horrible noise I managed to make the rail inset into the wood. This was important to get the necessary height doors. I built the doors mostly identical, and due to the relatively high thickness of the wall paneling it came out fairly okay. They work like a charm and insulate remarkably well given that they are sliding doors. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, especially since I'd never made doors before!

And now I'm gonna be lazy, and just quote you my summer cabin postcard from the law nerd thread.

Thought it was time for nice summer holiday postcard from the extremely warm summer cabin in the mountains! Take your minds off things and catamites.

Well, here at the summer cabin it's sunny, dry and unseasonably warm. Unreasonably warm. Forest fires warm, which is fairly unheard of. My fair scandinavian complexion has struggled with the rigours of outdoor work as my doughy office worker carcass has been less than well suited to do my planned major improvement this summer, the deck:

You know what they say, the girls can't resist a big deck. Yessirree. Can't say I like anything better than a nice huge deck.

Aaand it's done!

Unfortunately, the sad birch with its drooping limbs had to be put down, as well as the old pine tree lying next to the deck itself.

This is now the view:

And this is now the trees:

They are going to be keeping me warm come winter. I gotta admit, I love me some nice hard wood.

Speaking of warmth, thought I'd share a picture from the non-poop-burning outhouse:

That's the Crown Prince and his wife, Princess Sneakers-upon-Meth. They are a lovely couple. Traditionally, norwegians keep pictures of the King and Queen in the outhouse, but I'm something of a modern fellow so I've opted for the successor.

Been strolling around the woods a bit, sampling nature. Naturally, we've loads of wild blueberries, they are already ripe.

Literally more than you could ever pick, everywhere. There's also a local delicacy (seriously, old people murder eachother over these), some cloudberries.

They grow in patches right next to the cabin. As well there's some lovely wild lingonberries (false, it's tyttebær, loving swedes) and wild raspberries, they grow right next to the cabin too.

Went for a short walk to the local lake, which is about five minutes walking distance.

It has got some very nice trout in it and is wonderful for swimming.

On the way I saw some poop and naturally took pictures for you, as I understand you've an interest.

This is moose, probably about a week old.

This is fox, about a day and a half old.

Both pretty much right next to the cabin. It's crowded around there.

There's this lovely tree on my property, think I'll build a bench under it sometime. Looks grand. The white stuff you see around it is reindeer lichen (or more incorrectly, deer moss) which should tell you something about the annual average temperature and elevation. Yes, it's edible. No, it tastes like poo poo.

I also ran into this friend that rents space under my cabin.

Isn't she adorable? She looked right at camera when I took the picture :kimchi: I think it's a Sitticus pubescens, but I can't be sure.

The roof is coming in well, if a bit weed-filled, and yeah. Cabin's looking more and more done by the moment!

The entire roof is buzzing with bumblebees.

So yeah, the cabin is going to be looking ready for its naming ceremony soon.

I've got this clock that's been grandfathered in:

That's a joke, it was literally made by my grandfather. He likes carving clocks, what can I say?

We've started painting, this is one bedroom that's the darkest, the rest of the cabin is gonna have a lighter brown staining. The paneling takes staining very well.

So I'm enjoying the fruits of nature, and I hope you're enjoying your summer holiday as well! Cabin is going to be well and truly fit for living before the snows come, now, and looking the part as well. Hope you didn't mind the massive post, and please come visit some time!

In addition to this and finishing the deck, I rigged up the propane gas system on the outside, finished the vents for the fridge (which works great now), and finished up my vanity project: A secret whiskey cupboard built into the wall behind a panel that's actually hinged and opens. Obviously, this isn't pictured because that would give away my secret hiding place.

So that will just about do it for summer of 2018. We're almost at present day and I'll see if I can grab some decent pictures of the paint job we're hoping to have done by this weekend. We'll see how far we get. I'll leave you with some decorative shots, next up will be the autumn of 2018 and then you'll be all caught up and I'll start more or less liveposting.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Faen det ser godt ud. Jeg er misundelig på den udsigt der.

PopeCrunch posted:

loving this.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Holy poo poo that clock :stare: Does he carve by trade, or just an extremely skilled hobby?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

PopeCrunch posted:

Holy poo poo that clock :stare: Does he carve by trade, or just an extremely skilled hobby?

He's a retired forestry advisor (or something) and he does it as a hobby, yes. I mean he has a lot of experience, though. It's just a generational thing to do wood carving, I suppose, that's just what they did (for fun I guess) when he was young. Fun fact, he also built his own cabin way out in the wilderness and I've been there loads of times. It's a beautiful protected area right next to a glacial creek and a fishing pond.

E: Got some pictures from there as well. It's a lovely area, cabin's an older model and tiny, but cozy.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 26, 2018

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Man, that is basically heaven. Wake up, catch a few fish for the day. Take a nap, maybe graze on some berries. Hit the secret booze wall, go to sleep.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Wonderful place, thanks for sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ghostnuke posted:

Man, that is basically heaven. Wake up, catch a few fish for the day. Take a nap, maybe graze on some berries. Hit the secret booze wall, go to sleep.

It's alright. Not to mention going on a quick hike, hunting some grouse, chopping some wood while you breathe crisp mountain air and maybe tooling around on some project. I'm eventually hoping to move a smithy up there to make some decorative iron pieces, lamps and clothing hooks and such. There's always plenty to do, but also plenty of time for relaxing with a great book or just listening to radio while napping. That's basically the entire point.

dreesemonkey posted:

Wonderful place, thanks for sharing

Thank you! I had hoped it might inspire some other folks to try and realize their own project, no matter the size. It's very rewarding, but a lot of goddamned work. On the balance, I'd say it's worth it.