Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JBP posted:

Just do the story missions imo. I platted the game and just came back to it. Figured I'd finish the DLC then do my ultimate NG+ run. I'd you just do the story missions it's pretty fun but not the same quality as the base game in general. I thought the third DLC was good though.

Have you gone through the bases in the DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lobok posted:

Have you gone through the bases in the DLC?

Nah I just did the story. I'll hit them once I finish the main game on ultimate NG+. I'm enjoying the higher difficulty with all the gadgets even though I try to avoid using them and stick to quips. Beating the heck out of mooks that don't have superheroic verticality is really fun.

Also forgot how stylish this game is, feels almost like playing DMC5 in spirit when you're taunting enemies and flying all over the place with a huge combo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I agree. The lack of dial-a-moves other than your basic Square X4 combos means it's super easy to string moves together in endless ways but it's also not a button-masher. It's probably the most stylish I've ever been in a game.

Don't sleep on gadgets too much. They add a ton of style and variety!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's neat getting into the gadgets, Screwball definitely teaches you some uses for them, but it's a pain that you have to use the wheel every time to choose a new gadget. They really should've just let you cycle through with the D-pad.

The DLC really figures out a lot of things that the main game didn't do well, the third opens up on this big huge crazy scene and the enemies are even fun to fight.

Hammerhead is neat, but the game's cool new take on him just wound up turning him into Silvermane.

Also why on earth is there a brake button for web swinging.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's neat getting into the gadgets, Screwball definitely teaches you some uses for them, but it's a pain that you have to use the wheel every time to choose a new gadget. They really should've just let you cycle through with the D-pad.

The DLC really figures out a lot of things that the main game didn't do well, the third opens up on this big huge crazy scene and the enemies are even fun to fight.

Hammerhead is neat, but the game's cool new take on him just wound up turning him into Silvermane.

Also why on earth is there a brake button for web swinging.

Are you talking about the Dodge button? The backwards dodge in mid-air is one of his better animations. I wish the dodges in the other directions looked as good.

The gadget wheel is definitely awkward in how it interrupts the flow. I can switch really quickly because it’s muscle memory at this point, and I chat with a guy on Discord who has mastered the quick change to the point that the wheel never appears at all, but that takes some choices about playstyle to make possible in the first place. The wheel probably stems from the gadgets being limited by ammo. It would suck to switch to a gadget that you’ve run out of and while there are ways to redesign other things to get around that but that’s my guess. Well, that and wanting to make it seem dissimilar to the Arkham games. Maybe they thought most players wouldn’t want to switch a lot during combat?

I wouldn’t want to use the D-pad to cycle through gadgets, though. Like the Horizon Zero Dawn system of going through traps and immunity potions (or whatever they were called) was terrible.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 15, 2020

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SlothfulCobra posted:

as long as the inevitable sequel sticks his disembodied head on an RC car it will be worth it

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you could assign say 4 to L/R on the d-pad so you weren't scrolling through allllllllllllll of them, great.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If I were redesigning it, I'd make all the gadgets share the same ammo or at least split the ammo into web and something like energy. Get rid of the wheel so that L1 is freed up and make L1 a kind of modifier button instead. L1 + the face buttons could be Matrix, Blast, Electric Webs (maybe remove the "web" part) and Heal, while R1 could be the one button for all four web functions (regular, Impact, Bomb, and Trip Mine) through combos of press or hold with L1 pressed/not pressed. That way everything is instantly useable without having to select them first and without having to take your thumb off the left stick, without the visual interruption of the wheel. Of course that makes it a lot more similar Quickfire gadget keys in the Arkham games.

Speaking of design, a dude on YouTube posted something really cool and interesting about some of the behind-the-scenes combat AI and prioritization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yE4XLtVRl4

Lobok fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 15, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Realized I didn't make any videos for the Olympus bases on Ultimate difficulty so I had to do at least one. Man, I forgot how many whip guys are in this base!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WggE6ng5RDY

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Legit wowed that they're doing winter. It's one of those things you always hope for in a Spider-Man game but I never thought they'd actually do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHzuHo80U2M

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lobok posted:

Legit wowed that they're doing winter. It's one of those things you always hope for in a Spider-Man game but I never thought they'd actually do it.

Hang on while I desperately look for somewhere to mash “preorder” on a spider-man ps5 bundle.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Hang on while I desperately look for somewhere to mash “preorder” on a spider-man ps5 bundle.

I started looking to preorder the game as soon as I saw the trailer.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Yeah, never dared think there would be another game so soon. THIS loving YEAR?!

I figured it would be after Spider-verse 2.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I was a bit worried at first about them shunting Peter off already even though Miles is cool as well, but then when I thought about it some more I figured this is probably a side game in the vein of Uncharted: Lost Legacy or Infamous: First Light rather than a full-blown sequel. Presumably, Insomniac's "A-team" is working on the new Ratchet & Clank while another team is making this.

I might be completely wrong, of course, but that's the vibe I got. I'm still going to play it regardless, and it'll be great. :getin:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

With no information available I'm still 99% sure Miles is going to be a side story where he gets spider confidence and it'll lead into Peter and Miles in Spider-Man 2.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lobok posted:

Is winter some villain or story line? Or are you just excited for awesome next-gen snow and slush effects?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Human Crouton posted:

Is winter some villain or story line? Or are you just excited for awesome next-gen snow and slush effects?

As in it releases winter of this year.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Think it will be exclusive to PS5?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Doc M posted:

I was a bit worried at first about them shunting Peter off already even though Miles is cool as well, but then when I thought about it some more I figured this is probably a side game in the vein of Uncharted: Lost Legacy or Infamous: First Light rather than a full-blown sequel. Presumably, Insomniac's "A-team" is working on the new Ratchet & Clank while another team is making this.

I might be completely wrong, of course, but that's the vibe I got. I'm still going to play it regardless, and it'll be great. :getin:

This is my guess too. The DLC ended with Peter starting to give Miles his Spider-training so this being his first proper super-heroing makes sense. I think it'll be a 6-10 hour $40 kinda thing.

And then hopefully SM2 has full Co-op with the Spider-Men :getin:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

mastajake posted:

Think it will be exclusive to PS5?

Yeah the production house belongs to Sony along with the IP.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Does anyone know any villains associated with purple nanotech looking junk? I guess it could be an Uncle Aaron thing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

JBP posted:

Yeah the production house belongs to Sony along with the IP.
I think they were asking if the game's coming out on the PS4 as well. We don't know that yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did because it looks very similar to the original.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Human Crouton posted:

Kurieg posted:

As in it releases winter of this year.

True it does release this winter but I did mean I was excited for the weather in-game. Hopefully some cool effects (hard to beat Horizon) but just the novelty factor is cool. There have been so many Spider-Man games but different seasons are rarely if ever done. Even in the comics it's rare and this is a character who lives in New York.

Caidin posted:

Does anyone know any villains associated with purple nanotech looking junk? I guess it could be an Uncle Aaron thing.

It's likely their redesign of The Wraith, which ties into the end of the DLC from the first game. Which raises further questions about how much of this is a side story.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Lobok posted:

It's likely their redesign of The Wraith, which ties into the end of the DLC from the first game. Which raises further questions about how much of this is a side story.

Ah!

I never played the Hammerhead stuff because I was told it was not very good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's fine, it just gets real hard real fast, and not in a fun way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doc M posted:

I think they were asking if the game's coming out on the PS4 as well. We don't know that yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did because it looks very similar to the original.

Oh yeah! Oops. I agree with you it looks like the same assets.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

It's fine, it just gets real hard real fast, and not in a fun way.

I returned to it recently and enjoyed all the DLC but it really is Spider-Man hard mode. The story takes a back seat and the game provides you with increasingly difficult fights. I ended up enjoying the DLC a lot, but the change in pace from the main game to the DLC as far as story/combat goes is big.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Caidin posted:

It's not. The plot isn't particularly exciting and the combat mostly sucks because they went for the "eh, gently caress it, just throw tons of our most annoying enemies at the player" approach to encounter design.

Lobok may disagree, but that's because they actually have super spider reflexes and are therefore the only person capable of juggling all that poo poo without getting immensely frustrated. :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doc M posted:

It's not. The plot isn't particularly exciting and the combat mostly sucks because they went for the "eh, gently caress it, just throw tons of our most annoying enemies at the player" approach to encounter design.

Lobok may disagree, but that's because they actually have super spider reflexes and are therefore the only person capable of juggling all that poo poo without getting immensely frustrated. :v:

I'm in the Lobok camp. I'm a lunatic for technical action games in general and poo poo being unfair though.

I remember the point where I went from main game ultimate to DLC and being like what the gently caress is this, then your brain finds another gear and you start to Spider-Man like you've never Spider-Manned before, but it takes a while.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Caidin posted:

Ah!

Story-wise it doesn't reach the heights of the main game, that's for sure. I assume a lot of people passed on it because while it has some new enemies there's no new gameplay features for Spider-Man so it comes down to more of the same, albeit with a much higher difficulty if you're looking for more of a challenge. The new bases were awesome and I've spent tons of time in those.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Great, now we have Spider-clones in the thread!

Personally, I just didn't think the camera or the gadget selection UI were able to keep up with all the poo poo thrown at you in some of those Hammerhead bases. I'm also Bad at Video games(tm), though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Olympus bases frustrated everyone initially, anyone who says otherwise is lying. It does take time to learn them because at first it's really overwhelming. The Hammerhead bases are not as insane, though. And in terms of pure level design I think the Hammerhead brewery is the best out of any base in the main game or DLC.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Olympus bases, Hammerhead bases, same difference. The bases with all the loving guys in them. :v:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah sorry, was not replying specifically to you about that. Just sharing my thoughts in general.

Psyched to see who else is going to be a villain! I haven't pored over the video to see if the enemy outfits give any clues.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
There's not really any clear villain signs I recognize. Miles is pushing against some kinda blue glowy tech thing that's being unpleasant, purple dude(s?) with purple led poo poo on their clothes and a metal right arm and an orange dude who looks like he might be wearing an exoskeleton?

Actually for some reason the purple guy just reminded me of some machine god guy spidey fought for a hot minute in The Other collection book I had years ago. What was that guys deal I never heard about him again.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Overdrive? I don't recall much about The Other but Overdrive was from around that time and his superpower was no joke basically a guy who could instantly Pimp My Ride any vehicle using nanotech.

Edit: Not a bad guess now that I look at that guy again, and considering there's some kind of futuristic motorcycle Miles is chasing later on in the video. No idea what the orange suit person is all about.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 12, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly didn't find the DLC that hard. By the point you get there you have all your spider-gadgets and that alone heavily tilts the odds in your favor.,

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Lobok posted:

Overdrive? I don't recall much about The Other but Overdrive was from around that time and his superpower was no joke basically a guy who could instantly Pimp My Ride any vehicle using nanotech.

Yeah that guy! He could do that and had like tracking bullets he shot two of at Peter and then he had to go to the hospital or something it turns out out Pete was only good enough to catch one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Trailer got me excited so I whipped up a tribute video base fight. No damage, unbroken combo.

The Secret War suit is a reasonable stand-in for Miles' suit and I put on the Stormbolt Discharger mod so he's got kind of an electric touch attack.
And then just because of the moment we're in, I had him beat the poo poo out of those "he's resisting arrest!" Sable mercs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAHS0V6RWjw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Confirmed 'expansion'.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-12-it-turns-out-spider-man-miles-morales-on-ps5-is-an-expansion-to-spider-man-on-ps4