Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the key to Miles is remembering that Miles has literally no reason to play fair. Turn invisible mid combat, swap from stealth to melee and back again, inflict as much Venoming as possible. Peter is kiiinda like that with gadgets but you can mostly play straight. With Miles you want to cheat as often and as frequently as possible because all of his skills tie in together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Either in this game or the first, when the going gets tough the tough use crowd control. Use your attacks and abilities for disabling and incapacitating groups of enemies because they don't wait their turn. In Miles they gang up even more and try to overwhelm you with too many attacks to dodge or counter at once.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I finally got my PS4 back after a half-year and I really really liked Spider-Man but £50 feels like a hell of a lot for a game that I read it halfway between expansion and full-game. I know the city map is the same but what about the side-content, is that different from the base game or does Miles get a bunch of different stuff to do?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pierson posted:

I finally got my PS4 back after a half-year and I really really liked Spider-Man but £50 feels like a hell of a lot for a game that I read it halfway between expansion and full-game. I know the city map is the same but what about the side-content, is that different from the base game or does Miles get a bunch of different stuff to do?

If you 100 percented Spider-Man, it's a shorter game, but it's not that much shorter if you didn't collect all of the collectibles in the first one.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Skwirl posted:

If you 100 percented Spider-Man, it's a shorter game, but it's not that much shorter if you didn't collect all of the collectibles in the first one.

Something has to be broken in me because in the first one and in this one, as soon as something new was revealed (the audio samples, time capsules, bases, etc) I have to go and completely finish all of them before I touch the story again. As soon as the app appeared in-game I dropped everything and completed them all in a row.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not really the worst way to play because all that stuff will give you experience and tokens to be able to upgrade so you're not finishing the game at only half of your full power.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I liked the Miles Morales game. It's obviously not as long as the original + DLC, but I think it had just the right amount of content. It didn't overstay its welcome with tedious stuff, it was mostly all meat and potatoes.

One thing I didn't like was that basically all of the suits were poo poo apart from like 2. I guess it's just an unfortunate part of Miles being a much "younger" character who doesn't have like 60 years worth of suits to pull from. Apart from that the game was fun though.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Dramicus posted:

One thing I didn't like was that basically all of the suits were poo poo apart from like 2. I guess it's just an unfortunate part of Miles being a much "younger" character who doesn't have like 60 years worth of suits to pull from. Apart from that the game was fun though.

Honestly, I felt the exact opposite: of all the suits in this game, there were only a couple I disliked, in contrast to the first game where the suits were much more 50/50.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

serefin99 posted:

Honestly, I felt the exact opposite: of all the suits in this game, there were only a couple I disliked, in contrast to the first game where the suits were much more 50/50.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Changes made to Peter's standard Spider-Man suit are really hard to do without it looking bad, but Miles' black suit is waaaaaay easier to make offshoots of. They keep building up Peter getting a new suit in these things, and it ends up looking like rear end, but Miles only changes for the better.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Momomo posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Changes made to Peter's standard Spider-Man suit are really hard to do without it looking bad, but Miles' black suit is waaaaaay easier to make offshoots of. They keep building up Peter getting a new suit in these things, and it ends up looking like rear end, but Miles only changes for the better.

Hmm, that's the problem I had, but from the opposite perspective. What I didn't like was that most of Miles' suits were just inferior variations on his original black suit, which I thought was the best of the bunch. Some of Peter's suits were objectively bad, but I thought around 75% of them were good.

lol we have the same opinion just from polar opposite perspectives.

Edit: For Peter I spent most of the game swapping between the different suits. For Miles I used his main black suit for 99% of the time.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 21, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I had the Spiderverse suit unlocked from the start because I guess they accidentally gave the pre-order bonus to people who also bought it day of release so I used that until I unlocked the daft punk suit.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dramicus posted:

I liked the Miles Morales game. It's obviously not as long as the original + DLC, but I think it had just the right amount of content. It didn't overstay its welcome with tedious stuff, it was mostly all meat and potatoes.

The game is the perfect length for me. Most games I’m saying to myself when is this poo poo going to end and I’m only half to two-thirds of the through of a game. When I thought it during MM the game was like hey here is the last mission. It was awesome. I did all the side missions, collectibles, & Petey hologames and it never felt convoluted. I wish more AAA games were this length.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think percentage-wise I think Miles has more good costumes. The worst thing I can say about some of them is that they are a bit boring or repetitive but none that I outright don't like the look of like I did with Peter. And some of the original designs they made are some of the best ones, e.g. Prowler, Uptown Pride, Bodega Cwt., T.R.A.C.K. suit.

I don't know why they put two animated suits in the game, though. The regular cartoon one is just totally overshadowed by the Spider-Verse one.

jabro posted:

The game is the perfect length for me. Most games I’m saying to myself when is this poo poo going to end and I’m only half to two-thirds of the through of a game. When I thought it during MM the game was like hey here is the last mission. It was awesome. I did all the side missions, collectibles, & Petey hologames and it never felt convoluted. I wish more AAA games were this length.

Especially it meant getting the next game in the story faster.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Please, someone help my derp child.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Sorry, but I regret to inform you that he is a nerd. There is no cure

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Spider-man 2018 question - I just can't get the highest rank on some of the challenges. If I start a NG+ I know I carry over my tokens, but do all the challenges reset so I can get tokens from the lowest and mid levels again?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The weakest part of Miles Morales is just that I hate the voice actor completely, he never grew on me and I can only hear “FIN” like 1,000 times before it just becomes a terse, grating ear-beetle that loses all meaning. It’s compounded by the fact that Peter’s voice actor is the best Spider-Man we’ve had since the 90’s animated cartoon series, who like Kevin Conroy’s Batman, will forever be my cannon voice.

The voice actor for Spider-Verse is incredible, why couldn’t they just use him for both properties? IDGI!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 22, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Medullah posted:

Spider-man 2018 question - I just can't get the highest rank on some of the challenges. If I start a NG+ I know I carry over my tokens, but do all the challenges reset so I can get tokens from the lowest and mid levels again?

Yes. NG+ or the DLC allow you to rack up more tokens on fresh challenges.

But if you get Gold on all but three you will have enough for everything. There's no need or requirement to get Gold across the board.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bust Rodd posted:

The weakest part of Miles Morales is just that I hate the voice actor completely, he never grew on me and I can only hear “FIN” like 1,000 times before it just because a terse, grating ear-beetle that loses all meaning. It’s compounded by the fact that Peter’s voice actor is the best Spider-Man we’ve had since the 90’s animated cartoon series, who like Kevin Conroy’s Batman, will forever be my cannon voice.

The voice actor for Spider-Verse is incredible, why couldn’t they just use him for both properties? IDGI!

To be fair to this guy, he's been doing it longer. Was in the first game obviously but also in the animated series before that. He's probably wondering the opposite question, why they didn't use him for the movie.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Got this on PS4 for Christmas and completed it pretty quickly it’s only short but drat I forgot how much fun it is just swinging around the city and thwarting crimes, think I’m going to spend some time on the activities and collectibles before I go back to cyberpunk.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Miles is so much more fun to play as than Peter. I hope for the next one, you can choose who you play as, and the other one joins in from time to time. Your chosen Spider-Man has to go do <x> and the other one goes off to complete some other task at the same time.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The_Doctor posted:

Miles is so much more fun to play as than Peter. I hope for the next one, you can choose who you play as, and the other one joins in from time to time. Your chosen Spider-Man has to go do <x> and the other one goes off to complete some other task at the same time.

I would love for that to happen but who the villain has been set up as being I see no possible way of that being so. Maybe Miles will make Mary Jane appearances like in the first Spider-Man but you’re going to be Peter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jabro posted:

I would love for that to happen but who the villain has been set up as being I see no possible way of that being so. Maybe Miles will make Mary Jane appearances like in the first Spider-Man but you’re going to be Peter.

The villain who was set up is a villain specifically noted for bonding with Peter Parker and making him act violent and out of character. There is absolutely room for both.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's going to be a real let down for players if Miles isn't somewhat playable as Spider-Man. Like they could not be laying the groundwork more, with one game per hero so far and dabbling in team-up fights.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

At the end of MM Aaron calls you and says he’ll be out in a couple of years, so I imagine that’s when the next game will come out.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So here's a question: how did a bunch of random New Yorkers know how to make you the Uptown Pride suit? Spidey suits seem to be pretty high tech in this continuity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

So here's a question: how did a bunch of random New Yorkers know how to make you the Uptown Pride suit? Spidey suits seem to be pretty high tech in this continuity.

Same way Aaron made the Purple Reign suit in like, 3 days or so. In fact, Aaron probably helped them.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Finally finished this, I really loved the whole story and the way it wrapped up. Are there any announced plans for another game yet?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

smoobles posted:

Finally finished this, I really loved the whole story and the way it wrapped up. Are there any announced plans for another game yet?

Nothing at all yet. Post-credits clips tease another one and the devs are now part of Sony so there's no reason to doubt a third one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, a third one is coming and it is absolutely going to focus around Venom and most likely the Green Goblin. That's pretty much all we know so far.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually if they just give us a Venom game that would pretty handily solve all the problems I had with the series arc. It would be a cool way to keep the basic shell of the gameplay but push the character in a different direction.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There's also at least a hint at Superior Spider-Man stuff. I'm honestly a little surprised Miles Morales didn't end up revolving around that, having Miles go through a 'suit up to take down Doc Ock in Peter's body' would have been the easiest way to write Peter out of the story and give them a pretty clear arc for Miles etc.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Actually if they just give us a Venom game that would pretty handily solve all the problems I had with the series arc. It would be a cool way to keep the basic shell of the gameplay but push the character in a different direction.

Oh man, I'd fuckin love to play as Venom in the same NYC sandbox. Seems very much like Prototype, and a way to depart from just web-swinging spider man mechanics.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

smoobles posted:

Oh man, I'd fuckin love to play as Venom in the same NYC sandbox. Seems very much like Prototype, and a way to depart from just web-swinging spider man mechanics.

Web of Shadows 2! Yeah buddy!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I had heard that Spider-Man remastered would allow you to replay chapters - was that fake news likely referring to Miles Morales? I don't see any option.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Medullah posted:

I had heard that Spider-Man remastered would allow you to replay chapters - was that fake news likely referring to Miles Morales? I don't see any option.

I checked mine and it's not an option. Only a thing for Miles I guess, yeah. Too bad as there are some really nice fights in the first game and DLC.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I know I was late to this party but I was gifted SMMM over Christmas and its weird that it basically just made me want to play the first one, heh. I think it's because of how quickly it escalates; in the first game you're not being assailed by quasi-legal PMCs until the last third of the game, but in this one after about two hours you already have three different enemy types. It was also a little jarring starting out with 75% of Peter's moves unlocked, but it had been long enough since I played the first that I was like 'wait how does this one trick work again'. I also weirdly miss Peter's bullshit science experiments, they broke up the pace a little.

Its unfortunate because I love snowed-in NYC and Miles' entire family situation, but it just feels like it's going 200 mph to get you to the 'good stuff', at least near the beginning (except the part where you swing around the city just as the music kicks in after Peter tells you hes leaving and Christmas dinner after that, both those moments were perfect).

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm still annoyed that you can only go into Teo's bodega like twice, and can't enter your apartment at all except for missions set there. :colbert:

Also that crimes instantly spawn any time you try to go to Avengers tower. Maybe I want to sightsee for a minute!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Stunning and shattering weapons all over the place in this vid. Love the sound that makes and the visual effect of the exploding purple shards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsEDus9_aL0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Lobok posted:

Stunning and shattering weapons all over the place in this vid. Love the sound that makes and the visual effect of the exploding purple shards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsEDus9_aL0

needs more completely random slomo