Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
In the first game I think Pete says he heard they’re on the west coast or something (west coast avengers?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The West Coast Avengers, with their giant headquarters on the east coast.

It doesn’t really bother me, as too many superheroes tends to bog down things quickly without really good writing, but my point is that if you raise the stakes past a certain point people will start asking questions

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I would love an ongoing joke about how the Avengers are always juuuust not quite available to help moreso than I ever want to see any of them make an appearance tbh

Same with the Wolverine game, just stick with X-Men characters and maybe a brief Spider cameo for good measure, no need to make it messy by throwing Iron Man/Thor/etc into the mix

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wolfsheim posted:

I would love an ongoing joke about how the Avengers are always juuuust not quite available to help moreso than I ever want to see any of them make an appearance tbh

Same with the Wolverine game, just stick with X-Men characters and maybe a brief Spider cameo for good measure, no need to make it messy by throwing Iron Man/Thor/etc into the mix

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

JordanKai posted:

I know that saying "where are the Avengers during all this?" is a bottom-of-the-barrel nitpick, but I thought it was really funny and couldn't help but laugh when I passed by the Avengers HQ during the Lizard chase. Can't Thor or Captain Marvel come help me out? We're tearing the whole block asunder over here! :sweatdrop:
The Baxter Building is in-game, too. I took a picture in front of it in the legally-distinct Fantastic Four suit.

Also I'm still jonesing for Spider-content so I went back to Spider-Man Remastered and two things immediately struck me: First, the game is just so ugly now in comparison. I could really feel the loss of all the lighting effects and the less detailed environments, it was jarring. And second, there is so much more to do. You boot it up and the map is absolutely screaming at you with icons. Take pictures! Catch pigeons! Do experiments! Hey, there's a base here! Taskmaster challenge! Find the Black Cat! Backpacks, there's backpacks everywhere! Different base! We've got four different varieties of bases actually!

Also, I like SM1's photos better. Yeah, I get what they were going for in SM2, but actually signposting you to go check out all the neat Easter Eggs they built into the scenery is more fun as a player.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Here's my idea for a future Spider-man game. Eddie Brock knew one of the many people killed during the Spider-man Lizard chase (it will be retconned that 130 people were killed) and acquired the symbiote. He is angry at Peter because Peter isn't a normal human like him - he's a Kryptonian nerd. There's lots of sexual tension between Peter and Eddie, culminating in a climactic fight in a men's bathroom. At the end they join together to fight...I guess Rhino is the closest Spider-man analogue to Doomsday?

CapnAndy posted:

No reason why it can't just be a hunter who put on a construction worker vest to trick Miles.

Yeah, it being Chameleon makes no sense unless they just had completely different people writing the main scenario vs the side content.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 13, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, we’re drowning in media where Spider-Man engages with 500 other hereoes. I am perfectly fine never seeing a Captain America in this series.

Future games and even the Wolverine game should just have everyone exasperated about how functionally useless the Avengers are. Give me jokes about the New York HQ was just for tax breaks.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Man, I’d feel so much better about the mechanical arms on the default suit if it had the little backpack other suits have that canonically have those arms.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
One of the things I actually appreciate about Insomniac's Spidey games is that relative disconnect, where they're still visibly in a Marvel universe but nobody else is around.

It reminds me of a bunch of the comics I'd read as a kid where Spidey would get into trouble and immediately try to get the Avengers, FF, or Dr. Strange, only to either be prevented from doing so or discover they're out of town. There's a bit of nostalgia, I suppose, to Spider-Man having to solve his own problems because no one else is around to do it for him.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Crowetron posted:

If I bought a game called Spider-Man and the Avengers showed up and started fighting the villains instead, I'd be pretty annoyed
What if you bought a game called Spider-Man and Venom, and during the game Iron Fist, Captain America, Cloak, Dagger, Morbius, Black Cat, Deathlok, and Firestar showed up to help?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Only if the soundtrack is entirely Green Jelly covering Sabbath songs

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It feels like the DLC is gonna be about the hook lady. It shouldn't be, she's just a boring edgy grump.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Her and the red guy, yeah, I think.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They could also have Swarm. Lots of bee stuff in this game for it to go nowhere.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lobok posted:

They could also have Swarm. Lots of bee stuff in this game for it to go nowhere.

Yeah, the first thing I thought of when I saw the first bee mission was that I was going to end up accidentally creating Swarm.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AcidCat posted:

I thought so too then my buddy told me to cruise around the west side of Hell's Kitchen and yup, one popped up there, which led to the rest. Not sure if you're having the same issue but worth a shot.

Oh poo poo, this totally worked. Thanks!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, the first thing I thought of when I saw the first bee mission was that I was going to end up accidentally creating Swarm.

I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time a gamer has contributed to the rise of Nazism.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The spider bot trophy is goddamn awful. Idg how people even completed this. The trophy hints are totally broken so it’s basically just flying over every inch of the city hoping to cross over one. Why the gently caress wouldn’t they just put them on the map after you finish the game.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

veni veni veni posted:

The spider bot trophy is goddamn awful. Idg how people even completed this. The trophy hints are totally broken so it’s basically just flying over every inch of the city hoping to cross over one. Why the gently caress wouldn’t they just put them on the map after you finish the game.

I just googled the last few that I never ran across

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

veni veni veni posted:

Apparently the ability that shows you nearby caches will show you nearby spider bots. I ended up using a screenshot guide for the last dozen I missed after seemingly scouring the map though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wrote all of them down and went to a wiki and none of the ones I’m missing are even there. What a trash trophy

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
there's a few spiders that are way up in the loving air and you need to finagle your way up to them and I hate them.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It wasn't so bad after I turned on the nearby scanner for tech parts, since they show up on it too. Between that and the occasional visual flash I got them all relatively painlessly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurieg posted:

there's a few spiders that are way up in the loving air and you need to finagle your way up to them and I hate them.

Just use the super jump

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The game map tells you what districts have bots you haven't gotten, so it was really just a matter of flying over the smaller districts until a bot appeared

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think my favorite thing about the game is how apparently Kraven has never heard of NYC or all the super powered people there until someone comes up to him with a tablet in the jungle

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Just use the super jump

There's at least a couple that you have to glide to from a taller building or using a draft.

DeathChicken posted:

The game map tells you what districts have bots you haven't gotten, so it was really just a matter of flying over the smaller districts until a bot appeared

Yeah, I got all but about 6 of them this way, then I just got sick of searching and looked them up.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I think I found all but two or three Spiderbots just through regular gameplay (with the minimap thing on & popping scans every so often). The last ones I narrowed down by checking the districts and I think there was only one I had to look up.

Dunno what the deal was with that quest ending though. A reference to the old PS games I never played? The implications of the whole thing seem bigger than whatever else is happening but Peter & Ganke just shrug it off

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its funny, for like 90% of the game I found Miles a whole lot stronger than Peter.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

I think I found all but two or three Spiderbots just through regular gameplay (with the minimap thing on & popping scans every so often). The last ones I narrowed down by checking the districts and I think there was only one I had to look up.

Dunno what the deal was with that quest ending though. A reference to the old PS games I never played? The implications of the whole thing seem bigger than whatever else is happening but Peter & Ganke just shrug it off

It's a reference to the Spider-Verse movies. She mentions Miguel, who's the big bad in Across the Spider-Verse

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Medullah posted:

It's a reference to the Spider-Verse movies. She mentions Miguel, who's the big bad in Across the Spider-Verse

I got that it was multiverse stuff but didn't recognize the woman or get why she looked like a PS1 character

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Medullah posted:

Yeah and it was supposed to be an official tie-in but that character was cut from the sequel film so it just ends up making no sense other than the word Miguel. She’s the bartender at a bar for super villains I guess, and that’s just how that universe would have looked in the film. Literally art direction set by another group that then dropped their half.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Finally got around to finishing this game today. I enjoyed the side stuff and the low stakes parts of the main plot quite a bit, I think they got a reasonably decent ending down and imo they mostly nailed the part where Miles gets Peter away from the Symbiote but most of the rest of the main story, especially the middle third is a mess pacing wise imo. I still reckon they should have either had Kraven get killed by Peter or at least really, really badly hurt as the catalyst for the "oh poo poo he's going too far" part of the story. Or they should have had Kraven very much regret his machinations in creating Venom when he comes to face him, just would have made it way more of a satisfying payoff for his storyline for him to end up cowering, running in fear from this absolute monster he's had a hand in making. Instead he gets to die exactly as he wants, satisfied and happy, being killed by a weird alien monster.

I'm curious what they'll do for DLC and the sequel. I assume Carnage was left dangling to make us unsure which he'll make it into cause Yuri says "it could take months or even years to find out where he is" but like, obviously the developers know if they have DLC planned at all and if they do, what it's gonna be about at this point, would feel weird for the third one to be all about symbiotes again so if he is in that, I'd guess it'll be sidequest town for him.

Obviously Norman mentions the G-serum but it would seem repetitive for him to inject Harry with another thing in the hopes of curing him only for it to turn him into the villain so maybe it won't work and he'll inject himself in a rage to try and get revenge or something. The threat of the Green Goblin is usually that he knows who Peter is and can threaten his loved ones but the way they've set it up, Miles has way more of a supporting cast at this point, aside from MJ, Pete has basically nobody.

I've seen some people speculating the Octavius thing is a hint they'll do a take on the Superior Spider-Man storyline. Really hope not cause well, that'd feel even more of a retread. I'd be down for a good old fashioned villain team up where they're both aiming to gently caress over the other at every opportunity though, that could be fun.

I haven't read many modern comics so don't really know anything about Silk, just her name is Cindy so I clocked that in the other post credits scene, guessing it's either a cute reference or they're planning on having her be in some dlc or something?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 14, 2023

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I knew nothing of this game going in, so when I saw the size of Kraven, I was thinking he was going to be Venom.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah that's a good point about how Kraven ends up. He's obviously a troublemaker so it's good that he gets put down, in the general villain sense, but how exactly are they prompting the player to feel when he's so happy to meet his end against the ideal foe? We don't really get to sympathize with him ever, so there's no bittersweet respect for a foe falling in combat, and the fight with venom is impersonal and just about anger and violence, and he sets off most of the calamities that happen during the story but it's nowhere near "doc Ock is holding the serum that will cure aunt may and the city and you have to stop him asap". Kraven kind of didn't work in this, as cool as the search for him was.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

He needed to be a side story or not have a bunch of goons it just didn’t make sense

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kraven's story in that sense is true to the Kraven's Last Hunt story because he wins against Spider-Man and then goes out on his own terms.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

veni veni veni posted:

I thought the hint system was really good actually, it helped me find the last three or four I just couldn't. It tells you exactly what part of the district the bots are and what sort of building you should be looking for; combine that with the upgrade that makes the bots appear on your mini-map and it was pretty easy to beeline right to where the bots were.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For me the collectibles weren't enough of a challenge. Either actually hide them or make them somewhat of a puzzle to get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I liked how stupidly easy most of them were to find — I just swung around while talking to my girlfriend