Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah I just found that. I misspelled downgrade when I searched the page.

But yeah, that is a pretty big downgrade. I can see why some people don't care but as soon as I saw it I could see why other people are pissed off. The lighting is much much better in the original.

Watch the photo mode trailer and tell me the graphics are anything less than jaw dropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
But is that trailer from before or after the downgrade?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Medullah posted:

Watch the photo mode trailer and tell me the graphics are anything less than jaw dropping.

Sure, in zero FPS it looks great!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

But is that trailer from before or after the downgrade?

who the gently caress cares honestly

also the lighting could easily be a part of the day/dusk/evening cycle.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Waltzing Along posted:

But yeah, that is a pretty big downgrade. I can see why some people don't care but as soon as I saw it I could see why other people are pissed off. The lighting is much much better in the original.

??? it's the same graphics but a different time of day and the puddles are in different locations wtf

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CharlestonJew posted:

??? it's the same graphics but a different time of day and the puddles are in different locations wtf

No. The graphics are not the same. There are more puddles. More lighting effects. Just look around and compare and you can see a lot of differences.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

also the lighting could easily be a part of the day/dusk/evening cycle.

there's no 'could be', that is exactly what happened

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

“Downgrade” arguments are the dumbest gamer bullshit, because it doesn’t loving matter. You weren’t promised anything and they have no obligation to you even if it did change.

If smaller puddles is a dealbreaker then don’t buy the game?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waltzing Along posted:

No. The graphics are not the same. There are more puddles. More lighting effects. Just look around and compare and you can see a lot of differences.

It's still a weird thing to gripe about. Game still looks great.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wanted bigger puddles. Spider man should have to swim everywhere.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

VanillaGorilla posted:

“Downgrade” arguments are the dumbest gamer bullshit, because it doesn’t loving matter. You weren’t promised anything and they have no obligation to you even if it did change.

Downgrades can suck if what was shown in previews was drastically different from the final product (see: dark souls 2, aliens colonial marines) but I don't even see any downgrades at all for spider-man. It's clearly just a different time of day and the people drumming up the outrage just want clicks

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Do we really have to go on about puddles?

We're just lucky this isn't another poo poo-tier mobile game ran by Netmarble or FoxNext. Or hell, Gameloft.

We all know the game will be repetitive and get hit in reviews for that... despite every open world game being repetitive because of how the nature of these games are.

We know the game will probably have reveiw nitpicks like "the story is too convoluted" or "but the swinging isn't Spider-Man 2!" or "this isn't my Spider-Man, they took too much creative freedom!" or "Miles doesn't belong in any Spider-Man game, should replace him with someone better because he'll never be Spider-Man ever".

Do we really need to add to those nitpicks?

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Brother Entropy posted:

there's no 'could be', that is exactly what happened

If that's true why does the lighting in the distance of that shot seem no different from the other?

VanillaGorilla posted:

It's not about the graphics. It's about constant false advertising (which is punishable, depending on circumstance) and how being okay with that is a slippery slope to companies pulling worse and worse poo poo.

That being said I'm upgrading my ps4 because of RDR2 and decided to throw this in too so I'll be playing it either way.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 2, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hello yes mr judge you see in this picture the puddles are QUITE large and in this other one they're much smaller. Please put the president of video games in jail, I love you good night.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Lobok posted:

If the game isn't "about" the symbiote(s) then it makes sense to leave out the black suit. It would feel like too casual or half-assed of an inclusion to put the suit in there without comment or consequence.

And while they could put in the non-symbiote black fabric suit, I think that would seem like too much of a huge tease?

I guess, but stuff like Scarlet Spider is pretty tied to a specific plot line too, or The Last Stand, 2099, etc. The game as far as I know isn’t about any of those stories either. It doesn’t make sense in context to have any of those other suits, so I don’t know why this explanation is only getting applied to the black suit.

Gimme that cloth suit, I’m not expecting a Clone Saga sequel just because I got Scarlet Spider.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh my loving god get this man his lobotomy.

Catsplosion posted:

It's not about the graphics. It's about constant false advertising (which is punishable, depending on circumstance) and how being okay with that is a slippery slope to companies pulling worse and worse poo poo.

You are talking about prerelease footage of software, whose defining feature is its ability to be easily changed. If you want to complain about false advertising, wait until you have some footage and reviews that are actually indicative of a released product that you can go buy.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 2, 2018

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Isn't the review embargo over on Tuesday? We won't have to wait much longer to learn how good the game actually is. Or how much of the content got shoved into the DLC, presuming they get to touch on that too.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

My favorite thing is that it's obviously not even a downgrade, it's just that Spiderman isn't wet. I'm gonna upgrade my apartment's look by tossing buckets of vegetable oil all over my furniture.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

acksplode posted:

My favorite thing is that it's obviously not even a downgrade, it's just that Spiderman isn't wet. I'm gonna upgrade my apartment's look by tossing buckets of vegetable oil all over my furniture.

Only if you put it on YouTube

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mandrel posted:

I guess, but stuff like Scarlet Spider is pretty tied to a specific plot line too, or The Last Stand, 2099, etc. The game as far as I know isn’t about any of those stories either. It doesn’t make sense in context to have any of those other suits, so I don’t know why this explanation is only getting applied to the black suit.

Because fans and maybe even devs are nuts about the symbiote suit and the symbiote enemies. The symbiote costume is officially a Big Deal that always (apparently) demands a story to accommodate it. Most other costumes, especially ones that aren't even worn by 616 Peter, seem to get a pass.

Anyway, if we're doing requests for suits I'd love the ones from Spider-Hunt back in the 90s. Ricochet, Dusk, Prodigy, and Hornet. But the power sets for the last two are pretty different so I wouldn't expect them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The DLC is going to include costumes, so probably look there for any major omissions from the main game.

Is there a full list of base game costumes yet?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What the gently caress, there's stealth sections? Who the gently caress thought that would be a good idea

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I’m upset there’s not an option to use guns with a pacifist achievement.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Calaveron posted:

What the gently caress, there's stealth sections? Who the gently caress thought that would be a good idea

only as MJ apparently. its nothing to bad apparently.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Open Marriage Night posted:

The DLC is going to include costumes, so probably look there for any major omissions from the main game.

Is there a full list of base game costumes yet?

This makes the most sense to me. Heck, first DLC is Black Cat, so Black Suit. Silver Lining DLC will probably get that silver suit made for toys.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

only as MJ apparently. its nothing to bad apparently.

Because when I play my exciting web swinging Spider-Man punching game I want to trundle around as someone else trying to keep out of sight being a boring fucker

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Calaveron posted:

someone who wanted to pad out the game time some more but couldn't think of any cool spiderman stuff to do

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Stealth sections are something Spider-Man is really suited for with his powerset. A full game of Spider-Man stealthing around using his wall-climbing, non-lethal web takedowns and spider-sense would rule.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Zore posted:

Stealth sections are something Spider-Man is really suited for with his powerset. A full game of Spider-Man stealthing around using his wall-climbing, non-lethal web takedowns and spider-sense would rule.

There was one Spider-Man game with stealth sections as Spider-Man Noir which were pretty fun. This game though you wont be playing as spider-man in the stealth sections

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There are also gang hideouts which are basically the Predator sections of the Arkham games, so you can be more of a stealthy Spidey.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Uh, Spider-Man has always made use of his wall-and-ceiling-crawling powers for stealth, including in the movies. It's always been part of his stories. His abilities don't stop him from being injured so he can't just charge in. Just like how Batman hides in the shadows. Who thought stealth sections in a Batman game would be fun, right? Oh wait, those who played the Batman Arkham games and had a blast with them? There were plenty of stealth sections across the all the games and they were great, and that Mr. Freeze boss fight in City was all stealth AND one of the highlights of the whole series! Plus the Predator Challenge maps were popular with the players.

Anyway, I get if it's a heavy-action character (Wolverine, Iron Man, Wonder Woman, Hulk, Superman) but Spider-Man and Batman and characters for whom stealth not only works but has also been key parts of their continuity/tactics from day one. It's almost mandatory as part of the experience of playing as those characters.

A significant question would be, why ISN'T a stealth section a good idea for a game based around the Spider-Man life experience?

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 3, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It’s stealth sections with notoriously powerless Mary Jane

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Don't worry you guys the puddle issue has been solved

https://twitter.com/BeastFireTimdog/status/1035647246778486789?s=19

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds when, during the MJ stealth segment, she witnesses Kaine descend from the rafters, murder Peter, and the game continues with Ben Reilly. award winning storytelling

also I can understand why "stealth section" is a phrase people don't want to hear after the horrid ASM2 game's "stealth" gameplay but from what I've seen in the gameplay vids, you're not expected to play stealth in most situations, it's more like "maybe web a guy secretly, set up a tripwire" before you settle into a battle.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 3, 2018

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GOTY if true

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

finally someone is giving hydro-man the spotlight he deserves

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Calaveron posted:

It’s stealth sections with notoriously powerless Mary Jane

Oops. Sorry!

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Lobok posted:

Because fans and maybe even devs are nuts about the symbiote suit and the symbiote enemies. The symbiote costume is officially a Big Deal that always (apparently) demands a story to accommodate it. Most other costumes, especially ones that aren't even worn by 616 Peter, seem to get a pass.

Anyway, if we're doing requests for suits I'd love the ones from Spider-Hunt back in the 90s. Ricochet, Dusk, Prodigy, and Hornet. But the power sets for the last two are pretty different so I wouldn't expect them.

I would love to see Sensational Spider-Man in the DLC. That one, Scarlet Spider, and black are my favorites outside of the classic suit. Spider-Man as Ben Reilly in the sensational suit was my first Spidey

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DLC Inc posted:

you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds when, during the MJ stealth segment, she witnesses Kaine descend from the rafters, murder Peter, and the game continues with Ben Reilly. award winning storytelling

also I can understand why "stealth section" is a phrase people don't want to hear after the horrid ASM2 game's "stealth" gameplay but from what I've seen in the gameplay vids, you're not expected to play stealth in most situations, it's more like "maybe web a guy secretly, set up a tripwire" before you settle into a battle.

yea it sounds like less 'stealth' and more 'sneak around webbing guys up and hurling shelves at them to thin the numbers out before spidey-fight.

The MJ stuff will almost 100% for sure be just some tiny side thing you do twice to get a plot dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Brother Entropy posted:

finally someone is giving hydro-man the spotlight he deserves
I remember watching the 90s animated series and wondering why this Hydro-Man guy I had never heard of was so prominent in the storylines. I think there was some licensing issue (maybe something to do with the movie project that was in the works in the early 90s) that prevented them from using Sandman on the show, so they used this dude instead and it was really weird.