Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dan Slott can huff my shorts, but I will still be excited for this game. Dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not going to lie, hearing that Slott is associated in any way with this game (that's not being a "Martin Li / Mister Negative created by Dan Slott in the credits) really kind of killed the hype for me just a bit.

Yes, he's that bad.

Who knows though, maybe it's not like Shattered Dimensions in where he said that Beenox already had major plot points already done and written, he just had to write everything else around it AND make it make sense.

I'm really hoping that these three other (...this is also worrying, really) writers will know how to tame him down. As well as not make the story convoluted and crazy due to FOUR writers on it.

I haven't followed many newer games, is this a thing now a days to have multiple writers on one game?

yes, especially AAA releases

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not too uncommon for major releases to have dozens of writers for quests, dialogue, codex entries etc. in addition to the narrative directors and story leads. What's really surprising is that it apparently took four writers to come up with the plot of Far Cry 5.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

exquisite tea posted:

It's not too uncommon for major releases to have dozens of writers for quests, dialogue, codex entries etc. in addition to the narrative directors and story leads. What's really surprising is that it apparently took four writers to come up with the plot of Far Cry 5.

Four's a circle. With three one guy's reaching uncomfortably or not getting his dick jerked correctly

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not going to lie, hearing that Slott is associated in any way with this game (that's not being a "Martin Li / Mister Negative created by Dan Slott in the credits) really kind of killed the hype for me just a bit.

Yes, he's that bad.

He’s actually ok and gave us one of the greatest spider-man moments in the history of the character so as long as someone reigns him in of some of his stupider ideas he’ll do fine.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He’s actually ok and gave us one of the greatest spider-man moments in the history of the character so as long as someone reigns him in of some of his stupider ideas he’ll do fine.

His ideas are good until he tries to make it a big thing.

Superior Sadie was great but then he randomly made him kill people and dumbed the Avengers down so they wouldn't discover that he's not Parker.

Spider Verse was basically all fanfic, no good ending.

He did his best to fix the mess of one more day but eh...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yea I agree he's shat the bed a few times but he's also hit some real home runs, so I'm trusting with another pro like Gage there to say 'hey maybe we should finish this idea before we move on to the next cool thing you want to do' it'll be better.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I...I liked Spider Verse ok :shobon:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My only reservation about this game is that I hate Electro's design.

I mean Electro's designs are almost always poo poo but this one in particular stands out.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I still hate the white spiderman logo. It just looks like bird poo poo for some reason. I hope it like the Batman games and alt costumes appear in cutscenes so I never have to see it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rirse posted:

I still hate the white spiderman logo. It just looks like bird poo poo for some reason. I hope it like the Batman games and alt costumes appear in cutscenes so I never have to see it.

The press kit for Spider-Man is out, it includes blueprints for Spider-Man's suit...what if one of the inspirations for that giant gently caress-off spider is just a bird poo poo stain on a window high up? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eKU9jvas7s

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Funky Valentine posted:

I mean Electro's designs are almost always poo poo but this one in particular stands out.

ehh, i don't mind it. its better then that lighting mask or the "look i am doctor manhattan" outfits. it fits his dickhead personality pretty well.

also whats wrong with slott?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dan Slott is an rear end in a top hat on Twitter, but that has nothing to do with him as a writer.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It does when he used his dickishness on Twitter to go after people who didn't like Spider-Verse. Or when he used Spider-Verse to call fans who were upset that he treated characters he didn't create with no respect by essentially pissing on their graves as his vampire killer murdered them and then making fun of the upset fans in the same issue.

He's basically a manchild and I'm glad he's not writing ASM anymore. I apparently wasn't the only one because none of the comic shops around here sold much ASM when he was still on the book.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

It does when he used his dickishness on Twitter to go after people who didn't like Spider-Verse.

Oh, I've seen that first hand.

I had to block him after he went after me for half-joking about the toku Spidey's small presence in the series.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ThermoPhysical posted:

It does when he used his dickishness on Twitter to go after people who didn't like Spider-Verse. Or when he used Spider-Verse to call fans who were upset that he treated characters he didn't create with no respect by essentially pissing on their graves as his vampire killer murdered them and then making fun of the upset fans in the same issue.

He's basically a manchild and I'm glad he's not writing ASM anymore. I apparently wasn't the only one because none of the comic shops around here sold much ASM when he was still on the book.

he sucked bad, :agreed:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm really digging the design on the Velocity costume. I hope it's easy to get because I ain't preordering poo poo and it's probably too late to preorder anyway

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I'm really digging the design on the Velocity costume. I hope it's easy to get because I ain't preordering poo poo and it's probably too late to preorder anyway

i like the iron spider and punk spider man.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

hosed up that Punk Spider-man doesn't change the background music to the Ramones' version of the Spider-man theme.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80nTc5uXPvo

the old 60s cartoons are on youtube in pretty high quality too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And in color! Gee whillikers!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Electro has been an angry bald guy with hosed up facial scars and a rad vest for a long time in the comics. They did away with his old design ages ago but yeah, it's kind of boring that two bald guys are in the assortment of villains. Really I'm just bored of seeing Vulture/Rhino/Shocker so I hope some crazier villains like Sandman (badass Sandman a la Ditko era) and maybe a spinoff goblin like Hobgoblin appear.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mysterio please, Insomniac. I don't know if he's been confirmed yet and a Google search was inconclusive.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What other designs in the world of Spider-Man did Ditko miss the mark on?

Oh right, none of them.

Electro's original costume is still the best. No one has yet topped Starfish Face.

On that note, good on Insomniac for giving Electro yellow electricity. Kinda sad when it's coloured blue because electricity comes in many colours (all, potentially ((pun intended))) and yellow is part of the character's colour scheme. If Magneto's magnetism can be purple, Electro's electricity can be yellow.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How did they not put in Venom, though? :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gotta save him for the sequel. Also maybe something to do with the movie, maybe not wanting to overshadow it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/SpidermanPS4/comments/9cpmpr/lil_bit_of_combat_for_yall/

a costume spoiler or two, but nothing major. i am just shocked how cool/weird it looks.

also it looks like i can go back to my killer spider man play style from 2.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

AAAAH HOLY poo poo THAT RULES

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Anita Dickinme posted:

How did they not put in Venom, though? :(

It's understandable since Venom is a heavy character to put in your game revival of a classic franchise and would overtake so much of the rogues gallery. Venom also leads to more symbiote poo poo and that in turn leads to bad storylines/characters. If anything, I hope they pull the rug out and we're in the Anti-Venom era with reformed Brock, or Mac Gargan inherits the symbiote midway as a curveball nod to the comics.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
That looks great. I am hype.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SpidermanPS4/comments/9cpmpr/lil_bit_of_combat_for_yall/

a costume spoiler or two, but nothing major. i am just shocked how cool/weird it looks.

Be aware, there is kind of a story/character spoiler in that the mission objective in the top right says to Head to Otto's lab, which would confirm Doc Ock, right? I've kept away from most discussion but I don't think this has been confirmed yet.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Be aware, there is kind of a story/character spoiler in that the mission objective in the top right says to Head to Otto's lab, which would confirm Doc Ock, right? I've kept away from most discussion but I don't think this has been confirmed yet.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. That was a nice little spoiler, only watched a tiny bit before turning it off. I didn't pay attention to the top right but thanks for the warning.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hadn't even noticed the objective marker.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm so happy there's not symbiote stuff in this, that we've seen. they should give that poo poo a break in all Spider-Man media for like 15 years

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I hadn't even noticed the objective marker.

Honestly, same here. I was not even looking at that.

I do hope we can turn the HUD off like in Horizon Zero Dawn though.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm so happy there's not symbiote stuff in this, that we've seen. they should give that poo poo a break in all Spider-Man media for like 15 years

Me too, I'm just...really tired of the symbiotes... I guess the spider on the chest is a dragon (not a game spoiler) now thanks to the comics?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Me too, I'm just...really tired of the symbiotes... I guess the spider on the chest is a dragon (not a game spoiler) now thanks to the comics?

I don't read the comics but I read a little about this storyline and it sounds silly but that's comics baby

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. That was a nice little spoiler, only watched a tiny bit before turning it off. I didn't pay attention to the top right but thanks for the warning.

I don't think I know half as much about spider-man as anyone on these last 2 pages but that character's inclusion kind of seemed like a gimme. I do understand leaving venom (and maybe the green goblin?) for a sequel but as far as unrevealed big bads go , that's a pretty easy guess

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Seeing that suit just kinda also makes me mad that the entire game doesn't look like that. There better be a filter for that!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone preorder from Best Buy before and had them deliver to your residence?

Hoping I don't get hosed over because apparently, they've been randomly cancelling orders lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Gotta save him for the sequel. Also maybe something to do with the movie, maybe not wanting to overshadow it.

DLC Inc posted:

It's understandable since Venom is a heavy character to put in your game revival of a classic franchise and would overtake so much of the rogues gallery. Venom also leads to more symbiote poo poo and that in turn leads to bad storylines/characters. If anything, I hope they pull the rug out and we're in the Anti-Venom era with reformed Brock, or Mac Gargan inherits the symbiote midway as a curveball nod to the comics.

Yeah I agree and really Venom and Carnage are the only ones needed so if they hop into the game with a DLC after the movie drops I’ll be happy. But if I have to wait 2-3 years for them to come out as the main antagonist in the sequel I guess that’s cool.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That costume :swoon: