Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SPIDER-MAN is an exclusive game for the PS4 developed by Insominac, the same maniacs who made Ratchet and Clank and the high-speed Sunset Overdrive. After 5 years of abhorrent games from Activision subsidiary Beenox, the license to Spider-Man found its way back to Marvel, who partnered up with Sony to deliver a redemptive entry for the webslinger.

https://twitter.com/ikazombie/status/1035456694057201665

DOES WHATEVER A SPIDER CAN, AT A LOCKED 30FPS

The most important part of a Spider-Man game rests on the locomotion factor: webslinging around faux-New York City. While Spider-Man 2 was the benchmark for things like web physics and wallrunning, future entries would be more lax with these requirements, which more often than not resulted in subpar Spidey immersion. Insomniac went back to the roots of the problem and webs will connect with buildings and influence your speed on a level that was only dreamed of until now. Not only is the webslinging more realistic, but there's also a new "smart zip" that can be used with targeted aiming or on-the-fly as you're swinging through the city. Additional context-sensitive movement like wallruns can happen when you're turning sharp corners or just racing up vertical walls.

RADIOACTIVE BLOOD

Fighting goons in the new entry is akin to the Arkham combat you're likely familiar with, though with a sprinkle of aerial dominance and style that we haven't really touched since the better-than-average Web of Shadows. Not only assisted by typical Spidey-sense reflexes and counters, the unique finishers and aerial raves available are just nasty.

Combining the Melee, Web, and Jump buttons in different ways essentially weaves into a number of improvised attacks. For example, popping someone up in the air > webbing them up a bunch > pulling them down leads to the baddie being stuck to the ground at their descent, while uppercutting somebody and following them up leads to more options to flail them over others.

STARKTECH NOT INCLUDED

Spider-Man now has a unique assortment of tools to play with that include floating spider-drones, web bombs, and web tripwire traps that can be placed nearly anywhere and take out thugs discreetly before you leap in for a bigger melee. The comics usually saw Peter utilizing a variety of situational gadgets such as tracers, cartridge expansions, spotlights, and more--so it's fitting that his scientific origins are brought back in the form of diverse items.

SINISTER SECT

What's a Spider-Man game without his colorful rogues gallery? Familiar (and frankly overused) names like Shocker (seriously, he's in every loving game), Vulture, and Rhino are showing up, though we're also getting appearance by the current-metaverse Electro, longtime threat Scorpion in his classic duds, and an overbearing syndicate ruled by relatively new villain Mr. Negative. Kingpin is behind bars as the game starts, which probably leads to Martin Li's Inner Demons taking over the city. Silver Sable is also primed to show up at some point. If Mysterio isn't in this then I'm gonna be pissed.

THE FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD

Naturally, between the main storyline's crusades, you'll find plenty of side-activity to undertake in Manhattan. This includes the normal crime-busting of drug deals, shootouts, and car chases, but also throws in Black Cat scavenger hunts, Taskmaster missions, investigations handed down from Harry at Oscorp, Wilson Fisk bases to clear out (essentially combat challenges), collectables in the form of backpacks and comics, and more.

NICE UNDEROOS

Yes, the Scarlet Spider costume is in the game, but so are about a dozen more to be unlocked as well. This includes the classic red-and-blue, Noir, a punk outfit, Infinity War, and more. Each costume has a special ability, i.e. the classic one has a damage buff that can be activated for a few seconds. The rest of the abilities and costumes are being kept under wraps.

A TANGLED WEB THAT CONTINUES TO BE SPUN

Yes, DLC episodes have already been announced, lol. At around 24.99, you'll get 3 episodes scheduled for the 3 months after launch:
--The Heist, featuring Black Cat and a bunch of other doodads
--Turf Wars, which might involve anything from the Maggia to some other villain bullshit
--Silver Lining, which obviously will have something to do with Silver Sable.

-------
Spoiler discussion at the link here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868461

MORE GIFS TO COME when the game comes out!

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Baron posted:

Not much of a Spiderman fan, so I didn't expect this one to interest me, but the stuff they have shown so far looks really good. I can't even remember the last good spidey game, maybe PS2 era? If the content is fun a varied enough, I think this one is gonna be a winner! Hopefully it runs good on a PSPoor...

Creative director/producer said the game performs the same on PS4/Pro, only difference is really going to be some lighting/shading features. I've been trying to avoid most early footage but from what I've seen, it looks pretty solid across the board.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Vakal posted:

Web of Shadows has its issues but it was pretty fun. The main problem with it being originally designed to be a Marvel Zombies game and then later changed to "symbiote infestation" sometime later in development.

holy poo poo that would have been awesome.

Some neat gifs of the game previously unseen:

1) "Tricks" from Spiderman 2 are back! https://twitter.com/InspiredByMessi/status/1034636316514779136

2) Scarlet Spider costume: https://twitter.com/garber_andrew/status/1031616347828940801

3) Looks beautiful https://twitter.com/313doe/status/1034129806236037122

4) Norman "Andrew Cuomo" Osborn https://twitter.com/InspiredByMessi/status/1034217860799709190

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 30, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

OP, don't think you can complain about Shocker, Rhino and Vulture being overused and then wish for Mysterio, he's been in nearly all the games as well (I don't disagree that Rhino and Shocker are used too much, just Mysterio has been used about as much, the former make good "mook villains" though for tutorials and such). They totally should have him though, definitely, they could do some really creative weird stuff with his illusory powers. If they reach deep with the villains for sidequests/minor parts in the game they could create some really cool missions/fights, the Spot for example, could have an incredible chase and then boss fight once you catch him.

Yeah you've got me there, it'd probably be more out of the box to put in people like Morlun, Sandman, Alistair Smythe, Raptor, or even Kaine if you want to go full crazy. I am hoping we get more villains outside the realm of what we know and it isn't boring poo poo like Tombstone or Hammerhead or Lizard. Throw in something freaky like Morbius or an endurance fight with the "losers" i.e. Frog Man, Kangaroo, Razorback. Spot I would love to see because he was entertaining in this Ultimate incarnation.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tbh if there's any game where "climbing a tower" makes sense as a sidequest it's Spider-Man where you're going to be actively seeking tall structures to do swandives off, and if the material I've seen is any indication, trickmoves to do while doing so are back on the menu.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The funny thing about the Shocker is that he actually has a very solid record against Spider-Man in the comics. He's mostly used as the tutorial boss in many games now but it's likely because he's a "career villain" who doesn't bother with kindappings or grudges or teamups. Dude just legit wants to do basic bank robbery and crimes that make money as opposed to Scorpion or Electro who are plain old psychos now, Mac Gargan moreso in the general Marvel universe since he was Venom for almost a decade.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

McDragon posted:

Also costumes, great. I feel like they're an important part of Spider-Man games, even more than other comic book games.

Stuff like 2099 and some kind of Steve Ditko uberclassic stuff will be included, which will be great; I always loved the 2099 design. I think there's around a dozen to start but I'm not sure about the final list and don't want to spoil any others that may potentially exist.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Not gonna look at the potential spoiler blocks but it's definitely curious how much is being held back i.e. who the leader of the villains is, who the person who shows up at the end of the E3 demo is, and why the special edition statue for this game hasn't been revealed because it contains a "spoiler." Part of me wants to say it involves Venom/the black suit.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Peter gets taken in by the Sinister 6, lead by Doc Ock, who does the mind switch to him. You play out the rest of the game as the Superior Spider-Man.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, apparently, the statue is hidden in the box too. Brian Intihar said that whatever Spider-Man is crouching on is a spoiler in and of itself and will be hidden when you take it out of the box. They want people to play the game and, when they think they figure out who (or what) the spoiler is, to open the statue.

Definitely going to do a media blackout next week except maybe this thread since goons seem pretty good at spoiler text.

I'm gonna take a well educated guess and say he's standing on an Octobot and Octavius is involved in this to a large degree.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Today in "All nerds need to get wedgies again", nerds are freaking out over puddles being removed.

https://kotaku.com/people-who-havent-played-spider-man-are-mad-the-develop-1828724400

oh yeah, people were in a tizzy because of a perceived downgrade when it's mostly "we moved a puddle" and also screenshots being legit taken at different times of the city day i.e. at early evening versus afternoon.

thebardyspoon posted:

Could be Miles in costume and then he's standing on the grave of Peter Parker?

This would be the most hilariously grim thing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I must've missed the release date on the OP

assumed everyone knew but it's next Friday

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I put this down finally for physical pickup next week. I hope nobody at Gamestop yanks the statue out early lol. It's crazy how there are legit mysteries I'm curious about in a Spider-Man game. Last time I had such a lockdown on info was with God of War since there were certainly big surprises in that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

crossposting this extremely important post

I'm putting this in the OP lol

also that photo mode looks so loving good. especially when you can make your own fake comic covers.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Pulling off a "Metal Gear Solid 2" swap with Miles for Peter would vault this game to near instant legendary status IMO, and Insomniac already released a fantastic super hero game with a minority lead so I know that they'd be into it.

Honestly just from the Sinister 6 prisonbreak trailer I'd be shocked if it didn't come down to that.

Miles has been shown as just a bystander for a lot of footage so it'd be one hell of a long con to do, making fake footage and all that---but I think MGS2 did the same thing with Snake in Big Shell early videos. Idk if the guys at Insomniac are quite that insane but it'd be fun if this was the case.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Also lol I just now realized that Marvel's iconic mega-hero's most incredible super power is just a weird pins & needles feeling

maybe I'm crazy but I always thought "spider sense" was just a clever analogue of how spiders have 8 eyes and thus can see/react to things faster. Obviously they ain't gonna give Peter Parker 8 eyes so instead they just gave a general "danger sense." Either way it's like some kind of hosed up precognition that goes to extreme lengths with his clone Kaine, whose precognition spider-sense is like some legit Minority Report poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

The scenes where you had to Web Rush from enemy to enemy is nice and actually memorable for me. Though it's definitely better than ASM 2. I'm actually trying to play that as I type this and it's just not fun.

It feels like a simulation of a bad Spider-Man game. You can't just jump in and out of stopping a crime, you're locked into a teeny level and every single time you have to wait to play again because of that stupid newscast thing.

You also HAVE to stop crime because if you don't, the game punishes you for just trying to swing around and do nothing.

I remember being naively hyped up for ASM2 because of the devs saying "webswinging now has physics and it connects to buildings again and everything is way better" and I bought it for WiiU and holy poo poo that game was AWFUL. I was so loving pissed at how bad the swinging actually was (the animation was incredibly bad) and the game itself was braindead.

I encourage everyone to watch this trilogy of videos from AllShamNoWow playing the Amazing Spider-Man 2 game. The leap of quality from this poo poo to the PS4 game is probably one of the biggest changes of quality in any game series ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJs4FwH-GRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geJITwBDEyE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QlfUiO-yuI

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

But is that trailer from before or after the downgrade?

who the gently caress cares honestly

also the lighting could easily be a part of the day/dusk/evening cycle.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds when, during the MJ stealth segment, she witnesses Kaine descend from the rafters, murder Peter, and the game continues with Ben Reilly. award winning storytelling

also I can understand why "stealth section" is a phrase people don't want to hear after the horrid ASM2 game's "stealth" gameplay but from what I've seen in the gameplay vids, you're not expected to play stealth in most situations, it's more like "maybe web a guy secretly, set up a tripwire" before you settle into a battle.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 3, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Doc M posted:

I remember watching the 90s animated series and wondering why this Hydro-Man guy I had never heard of was so prominent in the storylines. I think there was some licensing issue (maybe something to do with the movie project that was in the works in the early 90s) that prevented them from using Sandman on the show, so they used this dude instead and it was really weird.

they also had Carnage on the show but censored him to the point where he didn't cut people up, he "stole their life force." Spider-Man also was not allowed to even throw a single punch.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

embargo drops at like 9am tomorrow so we'll all know if we hosed up by betting on the wrong spiderhorse

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Baggot posted:

Teaser for DLC 1: The Heist. 10/23/2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4MTPRu9Pr0

kind of a nothing "teaser" and no boob window for black cat....for shame lol

Honestly I don't really care about Black Cat so I hope some other villain/character is part of that episode.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I played the otherwise incredibly mediocre SM2 game JUST for the webswinging for like 50 hours and I think that this new game looks like absolutely nails the locomotion of Spider-Man even better, especially with the new zipline targeting stuff. It was kind of teased in the last 2 Beenox games but those were pretty slow and very contextual, not at all on-the-fly while doing your thing. poo poo like the swinging immediately transitioning into wallruns/turning building corners is poo poo that the old SM2 could never pull off this smooth. Honestly, the bar for eclipsing SM2 was SO low, and yet the closest we got to a great combat/webslinging experience after that was Web of Shadows, which didn't even really have webs physically get affected by anything (they connected to nothing). It's a Spider-Man game made by people who actually give a gently caress, people with prior non-terrible experience, and to boot it's bankrolled as an exclusive title as Marvel's first focused foray into making dedicated games from their license that don't suck rear end. So I do kind of expect the experience to be at least pretty good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the next video on the playlist was this, History of Combat across all the major 3D releases https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mchOE8_v7U

everything from Web of Shadows to even the first ASM game is actually pretty good and looks fast.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sony is also a pretty good publisher, they are cool with letting their games cook in the over until they are just ready. i am sure this game will be pretty great. unlike say activision/EA.

yeah, after all they are the publisher who handed Kojima a blank check and said "loving whatever, done when it's done."

Minor note: one of the writers on this game is Dan Slott, who did a lot of material for ASM in the past. More notably was that Slott was the brain behind Superior Spider-Man, so....who knows

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I should clarify, Slott is ONE of the writers. Others include Christos Gage (who did a bunch of Civil War stuff and really great Marvel arcs, as well as material for Law and Order SVU/Netflix Daredevil), and 2 other guys who are in-house Insomniac writers who did stuff for their other games.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

My only reservation about this game is that I hate Electro's design.

I mean Electro's designs are almost always poo poo but this one in particular stands out.

Electro has been an angry bald guy with hosed up facial scars and a rad vest for a long time in the comics. They did away with his old design ages ago but yeah, it's kind of boring that two bald guys are in the assortment of villains. Really I'm just bored of seeing Vulture/Rhino/Shocker so I hope some crazier villains like Sandman (badass Sandman a la Ditko era) and maybe a spinoff goblin like Hobgoblin appear.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Anita Dickinme posted:

How did they not put in Venom, though? :(

It's understandable since Venom is a heavy character to put in your game revival of a classic franchise and would overtake so much of the rogues gallery. Venom also leads to more symbiote poo poo and that in turn leads to bad storylines/characters. If anything, I hope they pull the rug out and we're in the Anti-Venom era with reformed Brock, or Mac Gargan inherits the symbiote midway as a curveball nod to the comics.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

goddamn this became a minefield of spoilertext.

30mins to reviews, everybody

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Destructoid: 9
Eurogamer: Recommended
Game Informer: 9.5
IGN: 8.7 (lol these loving decimals)
Gamespot: 9

Looking fantastic.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

im jonny gamester and I give this an 8.2543 it's VERY important you know this game is .0001 better than Shadow of War which I gave an 8.2542

(cool reviews tho)

tbh I def like the reviews by Eurogamer/Kotaku more these days since they don't rely on a dumb number system and go very in-depth about what they liked or disliked. For the most part I think the general consensus so far is "very positive" though. Eurogamer is usually my go-to so that was the one I read first.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not to drag this subject in again but this is the most hilarious end to this poo poo

https://twitter.com/Crazyreyn/status/1036977268063694850

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

one of the side missions I read about involves peter losing his backpack in the garbage, calling the dept of sanitation, learning the backpack is long gone, and suiting up as Spiderman to go find it at the dump, and all of this owns.

I'm also thrilled that Insomniac held back quite a lot of info. I had no idea there were multiple skill trees and even more things to upgrade/unlock.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

*shoves entire potato in mouth* tHe DuTcH wIlL rEmEmBeR tHiS iNsUlT

eurogamer opening their review with a three-paragraph ode to cracking someone's skull with a manhole cover shows that they understand why people play these games

yeah the guy who wrote that is def in the "my fave part of SM2 was piledriving a criminal off the Empire State Building" camp which is how you know he's a real one

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

extensive footage/reviews/tweets have said Spider-Man discreetly webs a guy he tosses off a building to the side of said building so it seems there's no narrative-wrecking dissonance here wherein you can crush a man to death with a 360 piledriver.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nice review :thumbsup: Curious about how the story pans out. Combat sounds about what I'd expect but it's nice there's some nuance to counters.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I wonder if there’s any classic Spidey heroism in this game, or if it’s just punching the bad men until they fall over. I want to save cats from trees and catch cars falling off bridges and stuff

Director said they wanted to get out of the cornier SM2 stuff like balloon saving and pizza delivery so probably not

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wanderer posted:

The stuff in that spoiler text is objectively inaccurate, unless what you mean is you don't get to fight all six of them at once. Which you don't.

this would have been kind of insanely impossible anyway. I can't think of a game that throws that many things at you. Hell even God of War pits you in a 2v1 battle which was hectic enough. I can't imagine fighting 6 loving boss-level characters at once.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, in the OG comic, they talk about how they should just rush him and then they would win but they are all too egotistical to fully team up. so they get their poo poo kicked. also as much as i like doc ock, i never understood how he is that threatning, other then being super smart and has mechanical arms. like been reading the comics and in the originals he was just fat Goonlord with robo arms. like, SWAT Sniper could splatter his brains in second. hell he isnt even wearing body armor.

It's well established that Ock has a glass jaw, Spiderman usually coldcocks him with one punch. The difficulty is that Octavius is just as smart, if not smarter than Peter and has insane control over super-strong robot arms. It's been well-established now that Octavius is basically the dark mirror of Peter in that he is what happens when you don't use the great power from a science accident with great responsibility. This goes even deeper when you consider Ock eventually switches minds with Peter in Slott's wild loving Superior Spider-Man run.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's a Spidey comic where Doc Ock pisses off Spider-Man by going too far and gets his rear end whipped by Spider-Man so bad that he nearly shits himself. I mean he just gets royally rocked, Spider-Man gets angry enough to basically bully and terrorize him after he's beaten and puts the fear of God into him.

one of the best moments of Superior Spider-Man is when Ock is in Peter's body and fights off a group of other small-time supervillains. He punches one of them in the face and it completely demolishes this guy's face, like completely tears his jaw off with the power of his blow. Ock is legit shocked because he realizes Peter has been holding back his entire life and he was actually so much stronger than anyone knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the shocker boss fight looks more entertaining than like 90% of the Batman game bosses. Arkham Asylum had the most dipshit "bosses" because half of them (mutant guy, Joker, Bane) were just the same big brute. Arkham Origins had some legit interesting bosses but that was it.