Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Once the circus restaurant is set up, it should only serve bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Enchanted Hat posted:

And AFTER!

Gorgeous. Now what to do about the rainforest restaurant?

Jesus.

loving.

Christ.

I don't k ow what I was expecting but this still somehow manages to surprise me. Tha k tou for including the hall of mirrors/sharks. In time it will come to symbolize the confusing, inescapable morass that is Armand's and Delilah's marriage.

For our rainforest place, all the wall and floor options look rather the same so I don't much care which we end up with. But I will vote for seating type D. How can we seat our guests on anything but roughly hewn stone? It has to be authentic to eating in an actual forest.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Jesus Armand is gonna sleep with the publisher too isn't he?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
So we're making The Rainforest Cafe(a kiddy restaurant that pops up around tourist traps), only fine dining. Incredible.

Too bad these are the most boring wall/ceiling options yet. DDH, I guess. Look at those loving peacock booths. They're glorious.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Let us have a round of applause for Armand for not trying to gently caress Samantha in front of his wife.

We do not have high standards for Armand.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: EDJ

Them native mannequin things! All the native mannequin things!!

Enchanted Hat posted:

That is, if you DARE!

Oh good Lord Almighty Christ in Heaven!! You Madman!! What have you wrought??! It’s like you turned the whole place into one of them ‘magic eye’ prints!!!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
:magical:

This is absolutely amazing.

From the tacky exteriors to children's restaurants trying to be fine dining experiences, this is amazing to behold.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The Rainforest Grill wallpaper and floor look remarkably tame compared to the lobster-abomination. It's like the devs saw Chuck E Cheese and were blown away by the heights of culinaryness.

Can we get animatronic gorillas?

Failing that, CDH and infinite dancing-girl-statues, at least one to watch over each table. Ideally with the faces oriented to stare at the diners.

lofi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 16, 2018

Catalina
May 20, 2008

There's so much wonderful and crazy going on in this update, I don't even know where to begin. :magical: I think the things that stands out the most to me is that we're making a Rainforest Themed Restaurant With an In-House Circus.

When you think Rainforest, of course the first thing you thing is brightness and color, right? Let's turn peoples expectations on their heads and make it all stone, all the time. It'll be ahead of the curve, as the first post-modern rainforest restaurant with a circus.
DDD. Only use stones for the decorations. Use the waterfall, but turn it around, so that the patrons can only see the stone back.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Whoa, we can’t use a whole milliliter of cream in this recipe, that’s insane! Better cut it back a bit.

also, DDH, those peacock booths are amazing

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I'm only disappointed it took this long for us to do shared tables and embrace the ~experience~

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I asked for sharks everywhere and by god you delivered. Thank you so much!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

CDH since there's no way to argue with those peacock booths.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Re: the cinnamon in chili; you can actually use cinnamon in pretty much everything, just be really really conservative with the addition. It adds unidentifiable warm depth to the flavour, you just really have to make sure not to add too much.
Also I scrolled past the seafood restaurant because my eyes started hurting, 10/10

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Goodness, the theme restaurant outside decorations are incredible.

It's been ages since I've been to a Rainforest Cafe. I'm surprised the game is less rainforest-y, all things considered.
Agreed on CDH, if we can't get a proper rainforest floor and wall, we can at least tiki-shack this place up.
I also request at least one booth where the women....statues? employees? are standing behind the booth seats staring at the customers.

I suppose it's a bit late for this game to potentially have it, but part of me hopes that if there's a 3rd, it pulls the same "ok, I know this sounds nuts, but I promise it's awesome" thing with time-themed restaurants like 50's diners and medieval themed places.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish the game had a dress code option, so we could have everyone forced to wear bikinis and swim trunks to the sea-themed restaurant or wear lederhosen to the german restaurant.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

MaxieSatan posted:

I actually think we should have as few decorations as possible this time, just to make the theme even stupider.

Poil posted:

Can we go with a slash and burn theme? It's all so hideous it hurts.

A tasteful, minimalist restaurant? It could be done!

lofi posted:

Can we get animatronic gorillas?

No gorillas... yet!

Jack2142 posted:

I'm only disappointed it took this long for us to do shared tables and embrace the ~experience~

Yeah, it turns out cafeteria-style shared booth restaurants are extremely Good With Money!

TitanG posted:

Re: the cinnamon in chili; you can actually use cinnamon in pretty much everything, just be really really conservative with the addition. It adds unidentifiable warm depth to the flavour, you just really have to make sure not to add too much.

Interesting. I'll have to try it myself.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

CourValant posted:

Them native mannequin things! All the native mannequin things!!

These are the only reason I can not vote minimalist. They're the best

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Zagglezig posted:

I suppose it's a bit late for this game to potentially have it, but part of me hopes that if there's a 3rd, it pulls the same "ok, I know this sounds nuts, but I promise it's awesome" thing with time-themed restaurants like 50's diners and medieval themed places.

Or a Midieval Times serving diner food. Jousting tournaments with waitstaff on roller skates.

If we get an outer space theme, can we do the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?

CDH

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
DDD

I can see the appeal of the peacock booths, but I'm disappointed more people aren't recognising the merit of forcing our customers to sit on giant rocks with no cushions or back support.

Line the walls completely with waterfalls. Put as many of the giant trees as possible in every inch of floor space. Have at least two creepy stereotype mannequins for each table.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zagglezig posted:

. . . medieval themed places.

Oh please please please tell me we'll get a chance for a 'Medieval Times' restaurant!!!

So, where does the game go from here anyways?

Armand is back together with Delia, the TV show thing is a bust, and he's making more money than ever?

What other 'plot' is there?

Are we mid-game? End-game??

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Next Armand loses it all in a dramatic twist as the 'friend' runs off with Delia after revealing he's been using the theme restaurants to launder cash (the only reason I can think of for them turning a profit), leaving Armand saddled with a bunch of hilariously-tacky joke restaurants and an impending arrest.

e: Restaurant Empire 3: Chef Behind Bars

or maybe Armand's on the lam, but can't resist running street stalls on the way, wacky hijincks as he has to keep abandoning hotdog stands when the popo trace his cinnamon orders.

lofi fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 16, 2018

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The next game is a psychological horror visual novel, after Delia's coffee table book idea actually turns out to summon Cthulu from the deep sea abomination that is Delia's Aqua.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

lofi posted:

e: Restaurant Empire 3: Chef Behind Bars

Make it soft-core exploitation film-esque and I'm in. :pervert:

Bifauxnen posted:

The next game is a psychological horror visual novel, after Delia's coffee table book idea actually turns out to summon Cthulu from the deep sea abomination that is Delia's Aqua.

:cthulhu:

I'd play this; isn't this what that new 'Call of Cthulhu' game is about?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DDB

Enchanted Hat posted:

So as you know, we have a jungle theme there that I think jibes well with your troupe's show. Like I said, I'd like us to work together. And perhaps you know, this way, we get to enhance both our profiles. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm genuinely impressed that they didn't say "jives" here.

Bifauxnen posted:

Seconded.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There should totally be a walled off 'private' booth full of those female mannequins, for the 'discerning' customer.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Pharohman777 posted:

There should totally be a walled off 'private' booth full of those female mannequins, for the 'discerning' customer.

Put them in Japan Airlines flight attendant uniforms and you got yourself a deal. :pervert:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

yes yes yes

CDF

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Episode 15: Carnival!

So I hear you're coming out with a book now Armand. How's that going for you?

It's going well enough. It's a coffee table book about my exciting culinary adventures around the world.

You're going to have to give me an advanced copy of that Armand. I'm hoping to get the author to sign my copy.

Well, I'm not doing you any favors Klaus. You'll have to fall in line just like everybody else.

I figured as much. Always knew that Armand Lebouf was a no-good arrogant egomaniac…

Haha, very funny Klaus.

Yeah, what the gently caress has Klaus ever done for you, eh, Armand?

Sooo… about that restaurant in Munich that we've been planning.

What about it?

We're going forward with the plan then.

Yes. I want to make sure we acquire Richard and his group's services first before anyone has the chance to steal them from us.

You sure seem tough on getting these guys… what's going on with you lately?

Well, you kept reminding me that we should be more aggressive in our franchising efforts. This is me being aggressive Klaus.

It's all I wanted to hear.

All right, back at the Rain and Forest Grill! Although, hang on. Why are we in Munich?

Actually, it turns out that Armand was SO SET on getting those clowns for his rainforest-themed restaurant that he built an identical second rainforest-themed restaurant in Munich, just so he could convince the circus troupe to work there!

Let's take a look inside.

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Well, I'll be damned! The game developers actually made a proper, high-effort, rainforest-themed restaurant for us!

It's not a very efficient layout, but to be honest, I don't even want to touch this. This is a good, goofy restaurant!

Now let's check out our other rainforest restaurant…

…where it's time for carnival!

Every booth surrounded by a bevy of beautiful dancers, frozen in time by a mysterious Aztec curse!

Some say that the dancers are still watching. Listening. Judging you for your menu choices and cringing at your jokes. Whatever the truth, it's clear that the carnival never ends at the Rain and Forest Grill!

Unless, of course, you are seated on the other side of the restaurant.

Although we value all of our guests at the Rain and Forest Grill highly and equally, some of our guests are less equal than others. These guests have the privilege of a more rustic dining experience, sitting on rocks without any distracting decorations or carnival dancers.

I open the restaurants for the day. I soon get called over to our new rainforest restaurant, The Congo Flame.

I was intrigued by your call, Armand. I honestly didn't expect you to get back to me this quickly after our first meeting.

Early bird gets the worm they always say.

So Richard, what do you think of the place? I can assure you that everything has been done to accommodate you and your group. Tell me anything that concerns you my friend, my assurances not withstanding, you can never be too sure.

Haha, I guess not. But that won't be necessary Armand. I'm already impressed by the place as it is. But what's more impressive to me is how you treat your employees and your business associates. You've got class, Armand.

:v:

It's how my mother raised me.

You've got yourself a show Mr. Lebouf. And my gut tells me that this place is going to be something special.

Yes, everything has been done to accommodate Richard's troupe. Not the smallest thing is missing. Now that we have Richard's agreement, they can just get up on that stage right now and start performing!

Armand forgot to build a stage, didn't he?

What makes it worse is that the performers need a rather large stage, and there is absolutely no room for it anywhere in the restaurant. This is unfortunate, because it means I'll have to do some pretty major remodelling if I want to fit in a stage to let the circus perform at the Congo Flame. And of course we want the circus to perform!

I move the kitchen from the centre towards the back of the restaurant and fit in this gigantic stage. This circus had better be the most amazing performance ever.

Six o'clock rolls around and we finally find out what the circus performance is. "The Lion Whisperer" takes the stage! You know, that's a very strange lion he has there.

The guests seem pretty angry. Uh oh. :ohdear:

Well, who cares! We technically have our rainforest/circus-themed restaurant. Bread and circuses for the people! Per the threads advice, I have changed the menu for our new restaurant to bread soup and nothing else. We also serve wine, since that seemed appropriate for the period that we are emulating.

No, I didn't change the price of the bread soup, that's the default.

Unfortunately, our bread soup actually isn't very good, and our guests are getting really mad about it. Let's go back to the Rain and Forest Grill before they start breaking tables.

The carnival is jumping! I discovered that I had the contact details for a group of performers called Le Carnaval Aztec, and it seemed incredibly appropriate, so I hired them! Two of the performers are currently doing their amazing double act, "breathe fire and juggle simultaneously while clipped into each other"!

Customers in the special section were sneaking peeks at the performance, so I had to put up this trellis wall. Bad customers! Bad!

The next day, the riotous atmosphere at The Congo Flame has calmed down a little, and it should be safe to return.

Our most challenging mission objective this time around is that we have to raise The Congo Flame's environment rating to 4.5, or four and a half stars. We are currently at only 3.05.

Our environment rating is the product of our decoration, comfort, exterior and live performance ratings, as shown at the bottom of this menu. Our live performance rating will increase gradually as long as we have regular live performances until it peaks at the quality level of the performers. The leopard show at The Congo Flame is very high quality, so we should be all right when it comes to live performance. Our exterior rating is very poor, though, so let's redo the façade!

Before.

And after! Now we just have to wait for the live performance rating to peak, and we should have it.

Except not. The next month I check the rating again, and although our live performance rating has peaked at 90%, our environment rating is still only at 4.25.

This mission is a little obnoxious. Even with the circus performers that the game gives you and the best exteriors decoration, we're still not at the target rating. I can't even add more decorations, because the environment score you get from those eventually caps, and we've already reached that cap. Instead, I'll try removing the table sets that the game gives you by default with this restaurant and replacing them with the best available.

I delete the default trap tables and replace them with the highest quality ivory tusk benches, but it barely makes any difference, only pushing our score up from 4.25 to 4.28. What else is there to do?

Ah-HA! Got you! This restaurant gives you super low quality toilet stalls by default. Let me try replacing these.

There we go! Luxury mahogany toilet stalls and marble sinks. Now is the restaurant good enough?

No. 4.30 environment score. We'll have to take additional measures.

Lion Whisperer, you're fired!

Early in this LP, I said that it was important not to neglect signing on new live performers. Richard's troupe is a live performance with a four and a half star quality rating, and that is not enough. Luckily, I managed to sign on another group of performers, the "Dreaming Maya", who are five-star performers.

Tribal dancers. Normally, I'm not sure I'd be totally comfortable signing on these guys, but the situation is desperate. If this doesn't get us over the target environment rating, the next live performance will be a blood sacrifice.

Fortunately, it doesn't come to that. We manage to get the restaurant up to an impressive 4.80 environment rating. We should be all set for the mission now! Time to go home and put our feet up.

Hey sweetheart. How was your day today.

Oh it was very good, you know… How about you?

Very tiring actually. I had to shuffle some of the sous chefs around today, train some of the less experienced staff, reprimand a couple of the bus boys, yadda yadda yadda… Oh and I had to hire these entertainers that were…

Okay, okay, ok… so aren't you gonna ask me how my day went?

I… just asked about your day a minute ago…

Ask me about my day again!

I… just asked about your day a minute ago…

Oh shush Armand!

Well… today I went to the coffee shop around nine, worked there until five, went grocery shopping around five thirty, got home close to six. Prepared dinner for you sometime around seven…

And did I mention that I got one of those pregnancy test thingies at the grocery. Tried that and guess what? TWO BANDS! We're having a baby sweetie!

… Sweetie?

I'm gonna be a father… I'm gonna be a father.

Yes you are sweetie. You're gonna be a daddy.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Was this written by loving robos who were plugged into 1000 hours of shittly translated crappy soap operas?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Enchanted Hat posted:

Well, I'm not doing you any favors Klaus. You'll have to fall in line just like everybody else.

Such. A. Dick.

Enchanted Hat posted:

Yes you are sweetie. You're gonna be a daddy.

Now have Michele come back, also preggers.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Was this written by loving robos who were plugged into 1000 hours of shittly translated crappy soap operas?

You know the answer in your heart.

Also, holy poo poo, this episode was magical. :allears:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Those mannequin/dancers! :catstare: Everything is just... perfect, even down to the lion.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Ok regardless how the game hand waves time for missions, Delia clearly knew she was preggers awhile ago. Why is she acting so surprised?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Kitala posted:

Ok regardless how the game hand waves time for missions, Delia clearly knew she was preggers awhile ago. Why is she acting so surprised?

I mean, if we're going to poke holes in the timeline, didn't that happen well over nine in-game months ago?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Enchanted Hat posted:

Customers in the special section were sneaking peeks at the performance, so I had to put up this trellis wall. Bad customers! Bad!

:perfect: You read my mind.

Also, hold gently caress that other stage is gigantic. How the hell does that place even make money dedicating 50%+ of the floor space to non-dining.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kitala posted:

MaxieSatan posted:

I mean, if we're going to poke holes in the timeline, didn't that happen well over nine in-game months ago?

She was pregnant before, but Armand was a cheating scumbag who yelled at her all the time so she went to the women's clinic. But now they have reconciled and she is pregnant again.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

MaxieSatan posted:

Restaurant Empire shares writers with season 2 of Rome.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

CourValant posted:

quote:

Such. A. Dick.

This part just blows my mind. Klaus has been Armand's best and only friend ever since he was introduced, and he practically saved Armand's life by helping him patch up his marriage and saving his restaurant business from financial ruin. Klaus has done so much for Armand. But reciprocation? gently caress that! Like, it's unreal to me just how much of a scumbage Armand can be.

Kitala posted:

Well, she never actually said she was pregnant earlier, and Delia doesn't seem devious enough to pull stuff like that. I'm assuming that she was just never pregnant before and that she's genuinely surprised now.

Julet Esqu posted:

She was pregnant before, but Armand was a cheating scumbag who yelled at her all the time so she went to the women's clinic. But now they have reconciled and she is pregnant again.

Alternatively this, which would also make a lot of sense. Especially because the game hinted at potential pregnancy at the start of mission seven, which is a full nine months ago if we assume that each mission is at least one month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Enchanted Hat posted:

This part just blows my mind. Klaus has been Armand's best and only friend ever since he was introduced, and he practically saved Armand's life by helping him patch up his marriage and saving his restaurant business from financial ruin. Klaus has done so much for Armand. But reciprocation? gently caress that! Like, it's unreal to me just how much of a scumbage Armand can be.

Not trying to say the writing is good or anything, but I’m pretty sure that’s supposed to be friendly banter.