Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
less criminal, and also there's a character called Ruth!

- Jason Bateman (L), and me, watching this show (R)

Ozark is a Netflix drama about how Jason Bateman wants to be Bryan Cransto-I mean about a financial advisor who gets caught ripping off a Mexican drug lord he was laundering money for, or his old partner was the one doing it maybe, and has to move his entire family to the Ozarks, in Missouri or whatever, and has to find new ways to launder a fuckton more money to avoid getting murdered.

The aforementioned Jason Bateman plays lead Marty Byrde, and also directs a lot of episodes. He is joined by Laura Linney as Marty's wife Wendy, Julia Garner as Ruth, a young woman who's part of a local crime family and the most interesting character in the show, and Jordana Spiro as Rachel, the owner of a hotel and bar Marty buys for laundering purposes. There's also Marty and Wendy's two kids but they're kids so y'know.

I don't really remember what happened at the end of the first season but I'm sure Netflix will have a lovely recap to remind me. Season 2 has received mixed reviews ahead of release - slightly worse than those for the first - but a bunch of people in Chat Thread were already like 'bloody critics!!!!!!' so there'll probably be a bunch of 'bloody critics!!!!!!' here too. Gotta love goons.

The second season of Ozark will hit Netflix in like, an hour and a quarter! Here's a trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Mr. Money Manager is back!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really liked the first season. Not ready for Rachel's inevitable and yet horrific death.

(Who am I kidding, it'll be her kid that dies.)

Escobarbarian posted:

There's also Marty and Wendy's two kids but they're kids so y'know.

I seem to remember the child psychopath being fairly notable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mild image spoilers in this article but it’s worth it:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/8/31/17800832/ozark-season-2-review-netflix-jason-bateman

Holy poo poo those stills are atrocious

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve really enjoyed it so far. I’m at the end of episode two, and while yeah, there’s a lot of darkened shots that article was pretty bad and felt more like the author just doesn’t like the kind of show this is.

The pacing complaints, I can kind of see, it’s a very deliberate show and if it’s not working for you I can see that dragging, but if you’re into it’s still really tense and some scenes just ooze menace.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

First episode was good, but because of this and Blade Runner 2049 I don't need to hear Summer Wind ever again.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ran through most of the season already, skipping ahead to the end since I can never resist. Seemed pretty good to me! Natural progress for the characters, I like the cartel lawyer as a more constant presence of the cartel throughout the season, I like the Feds having enough to go on that Marty is 90% of the way to being arrested already and under ongoing threat to have that happen, and I like that being arrested and put in protective custody is probably the happiest ending they could get since it gives them at least semi-decent odds of not being killed by the cartel (unless they follow movie/tv logic where witness protection never works) but they keep refusing to do it.

As for pacing, it's moving way faster than Breaking Bad did so even though its cinematography and writing game aren't at that level I think the actors are probably only just below Breaking Bad's level (Linney in particular I've found way more compelling than Gunn was, I mean Gunn was no slouch but Linney's great this season in particular), the fact that it's seeming to do two seasons worth of plot and death, especially in this second season, is a point in its favor for those who want a more fast moving show, though Breaking Bad's pacing was never a particular bother to me either.

There's one particular scene where characters get around a wire that cracked me up though since it had to be the worst possible way to do it, and I wish I could trust the team behind the show to bring it back since it's just so, so dumb. Let's converse while someone's wired by texting each other, that can never be brought back to bite you!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
202: I'd probably freak out if a pick-up truck passed me and there was a guy with a gun in the back, but this is Arkansas, and they probably see that poo poo all the time.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Lycus posted:

202: I'd probably freak out if a pick-up truck passed me and there was a guy with a gun in the back, but this is Arkansas, and they probably see that poo poo all the time.

yeah thinking the same thing, dude was just like "ok this is ok, just a normal day trucking"

i'm only two episodes in but i love it and i don't get the "slow pacing" complaints i've read in reviews so far. love how it seemed to pick up seamlessly from where season 1 left off. loving the new characters so far and the building of more depth and corruption and players in the whole storyline/local scene. also love the more info and backstory we get on buddy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
About halfway through: Ozark S2 does require some suspension of disbelief. I figure the cartel would just kill everyone rather than continue to deal with the bullshit.

But Breaking Bad S4 required a similar suspension of disbelief.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 2, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished the season. Ozark is a very okay show. Not great and not terrible. Just kind of in the middle. Having watched the entirety of Breaking Bad multiple times, a lot of the plot beats already feel familiar yet not as exciting.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just finished the first two episodes of season 2. I'm enjoying it so far, the story and pace have flowed pretty seamless from season 1.

Keeping with season 1, the daughter is the worst.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 2, 2018

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Hughmoris posted:

Just finished the first two episodes of season 2. I'm enjoying it so far, the story and pace have flowed pretty seamless from season 1.

Keeping with season 1, the daughter is the worst.

the daughter is the worst, i completely agree

i just finished the season and drat it was really good imho

won't post anything right now even in spoilers until other people have caught up

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

207: Mason was a dramatic Rickety Cricket.

Charlotte has no storyline, she's just there to complain that everyone's lying.

Marty didn't say, but he seemed a little proud of Jonah becoming a mini-money launderer.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 2, 2018

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Lycus posted:

207: Mason was a dramatic Rickety Cricket.

Charlotte has no storyline, she's just there to complain that everyone's lying.

Marty didn't say, but he seemed a little proud of Jonah becoming a mini-money launderer.

rickety cricket had more street sense though

agreed that Marty was really proud of Jonah and that made it both funny and super creepy because you see how far the family morals have slid, like theres some scenes that just made me feel dirty watching them because almost everyone in this story is so hosed up and corrupt. Jonah did take a huge character arc swing from creepy potential serial killer in the making to super competent kid entrepreneur. As far as charlotte goes i still agree she is the worst but she was correct in trying to get emancipated even if she did it in the worst way possible

also Buddy was an awesome character and it sucked seeing him die. He always seemed like the families ace in the hole

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Mason probably doesn't know about the hips and the nips.

This didn't come across well, but they attempted to reveal that Jonah wasn't really a psycho in Season 1 and was just super interested in observing the vultures. It not coming across well is probably why they dumped it and went with the "like father, like son" arc.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 3, 2018

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I enjoyed the first season but this one was definitely better. I think it really found it’s footing this season and a lot of the characters came into their own. Wendy in particular was pretty fun to watch, well fun and kinda scary.

Best character definitely Buddy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Wendy always sounds 100% sincere, right before she stabs you in the gut.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Man that look Marty gave her in that final scene when he realizes what she did. Loved the parallel between Jacob and Marty and what he said to him in the diner about being scared of the woman who took your breath away.

One of my favorite things about the show is the fact that the family and kids know what’s going on. It strips out that whole series of trope’s of “family man does awful stuff but family can’t find out, how will he get away this time!”

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The last time Marty gave a speech on a boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR5xorc1l44

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

its missouruh not arkansas and its hosed up they used the suicide of real life tom schweich

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For all my snark, jokey or otherwise, I gotta admit I liked the premiere a bunch

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

An Apple A Gay posted:

its missouruh not arkansas and its hosed up they used the suicide of real life tom schweich

There’s also a guy in Missouri named Rex Sinquefield, who was raised in a Catholic orphanage and wound up making billions with an investment firm, who now uses that money to push a small government, low tax agenda. While not an elected official, he definitely resembles one new character this season.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

empty baggie posted:

There’s also a guy in Missouri named Rex Sinquefield, who was raised in a Catholic orphanage and wound up making billions with an investment firm, who now uses that money to push a small government, low tax agenda. While not an elected official, he definitely resembles one new character this season.

yeah but rex didn't kill himself he's busy privatizing the airport

i am looking forward to the bobcats saving ruth and eating some mobsters/cartel/hillbillys

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm about 75% of the way through this season and honestly find how absolutely dire everything has gotten to be kind of hilarious. Federal agents feeding Oxy addictions, lawyers talking about how the cartel is going to "gut your wife and kill your children", Ruth being loving waterboarded lol

Some of Marty's deadpan reactions to this stuff could be straight out of Arrested Development.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Everybody in this show is the loving worst, but some of them happen to also be the loving best.

Except Marty. He's just the worst.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i really respect the earnestly vile depiction of the feds and law enforcement generally on this show

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I haven't finished it all, just got through 2x06. I don't know if I just missed a bit but is it explained what exactly Marty did with the bodies? I get that he dug up some Snell family members but how did he use that to trick the FBI? I would think that the FBI wouldn't just let him show up and mix those bones in with the ones they found.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

They briefly talk about it in 207.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Ok am I an idiot for just now realizing this show is supposed to be partly a dark-comedy?

Stuff like Charlotte and her parents arguing over her emancipation and Marty saying "I'm trying to see this from your side..."

Like, come on, there's no way this isn't intentionally supposed to be funny sometimes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Ok am I an idiot for just now realizing this show is supposed to be partly a dark-comedy?

Stuff like Charlotte and her parents arguing over her emancipation and Marty saying "I'm trying to see this from your side..."

Like, come on, there's no way this isn't intentionally supposed to be funny sometimes.

Sometimes? The seasons starts with them casually discussing disposing of a body in the funeral parlour that nobody else knew the mum bought. Show is hilarious, it's just so absolutely deadpan that it's easy to forget its deliberate.

At least I hope it's deliberate, or else I've become one of those ironic "so bad its good" jerks everybody hates.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

From S1.

"You forgot I was here, didn't you?"

"No, I didn't forget!"

"It's okay, there's a lot going on."

"Nothing more important than you!"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
someone could tell me this was a parody of a prestige drama and I would totally believe it but it isn’t and it really believes in these scenes and stories

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

i really respect the earnestly vile depiction of the feds and law enforcement generally on this show

And the best part is they are still somehow the least terrible group in this show despite all the hilariously illegal poo poo the agent does.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I found it odd they had that scene at the end of the season of them blowing up a building, but not really saying anything about what it was. Like I assume that maybe it's their office, but prior to that we never really saw the outside of the building? But then they just skipped over it and didn't mention it.

Also, they pretty much kill off all the good characters on the show and leave the bad ones.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Petty was somehow completely oblivious to the fact that the agitated convicted murderer was absolutely going to kill him in the isolated area they were in.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

They showed that office building like at least 10 times. Inside and out.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

My point still stands, they blew it up without any explanation. There was plenty of people that would want to do it of course, but they just left it hanging.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

It was the mob guy? He was in the car looking smug as the building blew up. And it was because Marty just bullshitted him cause he thought they were going to run off to Australia the next morning. Don’t you remember the dude saying “right to work” no union employees allowed and he agreed? Then stated “did I just gently caress over the Kansas City mob?”

Did you actually watch the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Ruth kicking over the guy in the wheelchair was definitely the highlight of the season for me.

Don't ask me why I thought that they were going somewhere plot relevant with the milquetoast real estate man and the stripper, I guess they just wanted him to find love :unsmith:

• Locked thread