Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Zigmidge posted:

How do you use the crates? I lost a full set of weapons into the ether of the wooden box I built.

You just drag items onto them, and it goes inside. You can look inside them (and any container like clothes with pockets, etc) by expanding them by looking at them in the proximity area along the left side and clicking the little triangle on the item box.

My guns and ammo stay after logging in and out. It's supposed to be permanent.

However, other people can find your box and loot your poo poo.

I did read that ammo in gun magazine will occasionally disappear, so unload your ammo.

JoaoVitorBF posted:

No anti-cheat? When will they add one?
For fucks sake, adding an anti-cheat today is really easy.

Today or tomorrow is the ETA.

Why someone would cheat in a survival game is kinda weird, but people are weird I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS
I think I will get the game, then.
I have always wanted to play a survival game like that, but all the ones that were made to this date are poo poo.
Is it at least decent to play solo? I don't think I will join any clan/group.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I've had fun playing it solo but I imagine it being more fun in small groups of 2-3 or so, the main drawback of solo'ing is that you probably will need to skimp on some skills needed for either making certain types of ammo or survival stuff, e.g. you can only make 9mm ammo if you have Lv2 handguns and only make rifle ammo with Lv2 rifles, but you can pick your starting stats to allow a lot

brian fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 2, 2018

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Is there any point in having higher intelligence or whatever when creating a character?

Are there any underground bunkers that are better than others? How many bullets does it take to kill one of those loving mech bros?

Enjoying the game quite a bit so far, lag / netcode or whatever is pretty annoying

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

The survival skill from intelligence let's you build/cook more stuff I think, I imagine sniping helps with breath and whatnot, camouflage and awareness are two skills that define whether your character even gets rendered at far distances/when prone, there's a really weird system designed to make investing in those skills useful, seems a bit weird. Basically awareness allows you to see them further, camouflage makes the distance you're seen shorter. Shooting at any point I think renders you for miles though. It's v odd.

Also p sure bunker loot is p similar but definitely some places have different rooms that are more likely to have tons of little ammo boxes

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Philthy posted:

Today or tomorrow is the ETA.

Why someone would cheat in a survival game is kinda weird, but people are weird I guess.

Considering they are rushing in some anti-cheat which I assume is just going to be EAC or some 3rd party poo poo ASAP it's probably not going to be enough to stop the like 3 paid sites already providing hacks that know how to bypass most anti-cheats.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just had a three hour session with a buddy and we moved maybe half a grid square in that entire time. (There are 16 squares for the entire map 4x4) We found all these weird towers with blinking lights that looked like they might bisect the island possibly. We also found some document in a bunker that talked about UFOs and also a newspaper about the Titanic sinking. There is some weird poo poo going on. We found some dudes loot stash and I got my first MP5 magazine! We also only ran into one other player the entire time, and he hauled rear end when he saw us. Was a fun night. This game rules.

Akumos posted:

Considering they are rushing in some anti-cheat which I assume is just going to be EAC or some 3rd party poo poo ASAP it's probably not going to be enough to stop the like 3 paid sites already providing hacks that know how to bypass most anti-cheats.

Well, it's pretty much going to happen regardless. PUBG has been fighting this poo poo for over a year, and Tarkov has been coming up with their own and still has people glitching around. People dumb. Not sure how Fortnite handles it.

JoaoVitorBF posted:

I think I will get the game, then.
I have always wanted to play a survival game like that, but all the ones that were made to this date are poo poo.
Is it at least decent to play solo? I don't think I will join any clan/group.

I started a "solo" character on another server to play with and it's been fun. There is a lot to see in this game. If you don't like PVP much, you can play offline mode, or pick a lower populated server so you really only run into folks very very rarely. Even then you can probably just run away. I think they hit a good balance with 64 people to a server, it keeps it low key.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 2, 2018

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Do certain foods constipate you? If so doesn't that make them op because you don't have to stop to poo? Just like in real life.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Baiku posted:

Do certain foods constipate you? If so doesn't that make them op because you don't have to stop to poo? Just like in real life.

If you just eat butter or animal fat, you will get diarrhea.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

We have some guys playing on the PUBG Discord:
https://discord.gg/k33kvs

The Tarkov discord also has some people playing too. I play this game a bit, but I tend to get bored with it easily. People really seem to get exciting for the pooping, I guess, but I'm not seeing anything here that DayZ didn't have.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It has good mix of what makes PUBG and Tarkov fun set in a huge open world, IMO. I never played DayZ, so I dunno. People who played this and like it crap all over DayZ, so i'm not sure how that works. Maybe I should just try DayZ and see wtf.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 2, 2018

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS

Philthy posted:

It has good mix of what makes PUBG and Tarkov fun set in a huge open world, IMO. I never played DayZ, so I dunno. People who played this and like it crap all over DayZ, so i'm not sure how that works. Maybe I should just try DayZ and see wtf.

DayZ has been on early access since 2013, and the development is basically dead right now.
The game runs on Arma 3's engine, so it's buggy as hell for a survival game, and those bugs will probably never get fixed.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So just a heads up for when people start surviving longer; you need Medium skill in any weapon to craft its ammo/special weapons. Handguns allows 9mm crafting, Rifles crafts all other ammo. Melee allows you to make the sword. Ammo crafting is a lead plate (crowbar a car battery or find it), gunpowder, metal scrap and a toolbox. 20 crafts per lead plate, ~10 per the white toolbox, 15 for the red, 1 per metal scrap. Makes 5 ammo every time of every type. Which doesn't seem like a lot but so far I haven't gotten into any real spray and pray gun fights given the lethality of the game. Even a .22 will go through a military helmet.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They weren't kidding about the loot in bunkers. It's ridiculous. I saw two of every gun, magazines, piles of ammo, bullet proof vests, helmets, and on and on. I didn't get out alive, and will never see that corpse again. I am guessing those bunkers will be tuned because if I had gotten out, good god.

Thankfully I've got my kill stash!

..on the other side of the map. :intv:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Some of the bunkers are hilariously easy to get into. Some of them are basically guaranteed death and might need some tweaking.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

JoaoVitorBF posted:

DayZ has been on early access since 2013, and the development is basically dead right now.
The game runs on Arma 3's engine, so it's buggy as hell for a survival game, and those bugs will probably never get fixed.

I thought they recently released a big update for DayZ or are soon? Some streams were trying it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

If you just eat butter or animal fat, you will get diarrhea.
iirc some diseases actually make you want to do this as well

Orv
May 4, 2011

Akumos posted:

I thought they recently released a big update for DayZ or are soon? Some streams were trying it.

.63 is the engine update they've been working on for four years. Unfortunately it also basically removes all of the content they added to SA over the years so it's back to slightly better but still a 15 year old engine shitshow with no content.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Orv posted:

Some of the bunkers are hilariously easy to get into. Some of them are basically guaranteed death and might need some tweaking.

Which ones are which? Thanks!

Orv
May 4, 2011

thegoat posted:

Which ones are which? Thanks!

I haven't tried all of them, but by this map, Bunker 14 is fairly easy to enter from the south, Bunker 12 is pretty easy from the NE and Bunker 5 seems to be sort of a coin flip due to some AI funkiness but I have about 75% success getting in there from the NW. A lot of the others have mechs that patrol directly in front of the entrance in a way that's basically impossible to get past.

New patch that might make some of them a little easier;

SCUM Patch Notes posted:

Added Anti cheat, server admin options and much more! Check down bellow!

Anticheat is up an running. We will continue to upgrade it, and keep SCUM as cheat free as possible!

P.S - Also using exploits will be considered cheating and can result in a
ban.

Server admin controls are also added.

Sentries got nerfed a bit. (Longer reload times, bigger shooting cone, bigger chance to miss)

Fixed ammo exploit bug when using ammo directly from searched objects.

Equipped items are now destroyed when prisoner is destroyed.

Added natural attenuation for voice chat - Reduced radius for bullet flyby sounds.

Fixed bug that sometimes made mouse cursor disappear on the spawn screen

Fixed being able to commit suicide while dead.

Disabled chat and mic icon in singleplayer.

Puppet should now spawn proper meat after chopping, Calorie intake of human meat and puppet meat should now be correct

Server password access is thread-safe now.

Potential memory leak fix for master server.

Refresh button will be greyed out until we received the server list or timed out.

Server browser filtering and pinging improvements.

Adjusted AK47 run animation.

Added search to server browser.

Airport Hangar: Doors oppened (now sentries can get in)

Airport - Added Danger volumes (Once you enter the danger volume sentries will start looking for you, and if they see you they dont warn you but start shooting immediately)

Also added a Bug section on steam threads so check that out and report all bugs you find there!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just looking at that screenshot in the OP makes me feel tired.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Megazver posted:

Just looking at that screenshot in the OP makes me feel tired.

Need more carbs.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Those sentry adjustments won't make them easier to infiltrate but you won't be dying to a lucky headshot that shreds all your armour from across the tarmac behind cover anymore.

http://www.scummap.org/

Use this to give yourself navigational goals.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

One of the bigger streamers was making this or using it idk, seems like you basically just wanna rotate around the center of the map.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I've just started playing and spawned near the boot camp, there's 3 bunker looking buildings on the northeast side i think? that are fairly easy to run into and out of as there's only 2 sentries that go up and down 2 parallel roads. Just get right up to the wall and there's a hole like 15 feet across from the 3 bunkers. I was able to get fully geared up with military clothing and found a couple hiking backpacks and more guns and ammo that i could even carry.

There's also a hunting camp just to the northeast of it also and i'm not sure if someone was camped there or if it's just a normal spawn thing, but there was a table that had about 30 stacks of raw horse meat on it too if you need food.

The rest of the buildings to me aren't really worth it due to having large amounts of windows.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 2, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ultrawide support coming

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Making treasure maps to stashes :dance:

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS
Just got the game and holy loving poo poo, it's stuttering and freezing A LOT.
I can play almost all the games fine, but this one is almost unplayable even on low. Is this a common thing? Any way to fix it?
My specs:
GTX 1060 6GB
8GB DDR4
Ryzen 5 2600

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

More RAM and drop most settings

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

Those sentry adjustments won't make them easier to infiltrate but you won't be dying to a lucky headshot that shreds all your armour from across the tarmac behind cover anymore.

Yeah no, the sentries are brain dead now. You might get shot if you're standing still in front of one in daylight. Maybe.

Not the best move.

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS
It turns out that all the stuttering was caused by the depth of field. Disabled it on the settings ini file and the game is running smooth again.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

JoaoVitorBF posted:

It turns out that all the stuttering was caused by the depth of field. Disabled it on the settings ini file and the game is running smooth again.

Editing .ini files is like always the way to fix EA games, usually the same fixes work on every game too especially if it's ue4.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah no, the sentries are brain dead now. You might get shot if you're standing still in front of one in daylight. Maybe.

Not the best move.

yeah, the nerf to sentries was HARD. they used to fuckin noscope you from 200 meters and now can scarcely hit a stationary target from standoff distance. great news if you wanted to get at some of the good loot without trying to outsmart the patrol route.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
the game desperately needs an auto run button

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS
Yep. The worst part of the game is the downtime between cities/bunkers where nothing happens because there's nothing around you except trees. And you have to keep holding W and controlling stamina for the whole trip.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I am hoping the autorun comes sooner rather than later. I had to stop playing because my hand aches so much. I've got 20 hours in now and I just want to keep playing. I flipping love this game so much.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
has anyone got an idea what to do with the toolbox? i dont want to keep carrying it around if its really no use besides high end crafting which i'll probably never do.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The small and normal size toolboxes are needed to craft ammo. The small one will craft 5 bullets at a time, while I think the larger one does 10 at a time. You'll need gunpowder, lead plate, and scrap metal to create the bullets. You also need a level or two in handguns / rifle to craft bullet respectively. If you dont have a gun yet, you probably should make a stash somewhere and stuff it in there.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
wow, people can snipe you through walls/buildings at distance..

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS
Is there a good way to level up your survival skill? I can't craft a lot of things because I don't have enough survival skill.

• Locked thread