Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The more money you make, the more you take home. Period. JFC.

You can think of it (oversimply) as "diminishing returns," but a diminishing return is still a return. Unless you're getting some specific benefit from having a low income, like Medicaid, there is no way you could make less by making more.

Am I not being clear that I am aware that my income is overall increasing? I just didn't understand the sliding taxation scale as I've always been legally below the poverty line so it never changed. Like< i'm not sitting here saying in any way that I think they GOVMNT is going to take all the extra money I am making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

redgubbinz posted:

My automotive confession is that I love cars but hate driving. It would be so much more pleasant without these erratic/suicidal NPCs all over the place. My eyes are also slightly hosed so driving is never relaxing, and track time is a big ol nope.
I just think of them as a moving obstacle course and move around the idiots.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Welp, what's next on this truck? Just replaced the transmission last month. Last week, the starter. Took it on a longer drive and started hearing a thump sometimes when driving and turning. Yay, swaybar end links needed replacing. They've been on for 255k miles, so I shouldn't complain.

A story in four pictures: https://imgur.com/a/uphNY9X

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

It's closer to $44K combined. That won't make a difference at all?

Unless that pushed you over $2m a year, probably not really.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Weird thought my wife had that I'm not sure how to answer.

So, first kid was stillborn about 5 months ago - we're trying again and will probably succeed. And will want to explain to kid #2 about the situation some day but like... how do you explain death to kids without a religious framework, without screwing them up? No hurry to figure it out, just realized that neither of us really have a good answer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Weird thought my wife had that I'm not sure how to answer.

So, first kid was stillborn about 5 months ago - we're trying again and will probably succeed. And will want to explain to kid #2 about the situation some day but like... how do you explain death to kids without a religious framework, without screwing them up? No hurry to figure it out, just realized that neither of us really have a good answer.

Don't. Wait. My mother decided to drop the "I had an abortion" bomb on us when my young siblings were stil pre teen and it hosed them up bad. The sense of longing for a missing sibling was not something they should have had to deal with. Just, write a letter now and put it aside for 18 years.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This past week I discovered that I have like six half-siblings scattered throughout the PNW because my bio dad was a player in the 80s. I found two of them on 23andme, and neither knew each other so it was surprises all around.

If I had learned this in my teens, it would have devastated me. At 30? Whatever.

Plus, there is nobody forcing you to bring religion into a conversation about miscarriage except yourself.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Rhyno posted:

Don't. Wait. My mother decided to drop the "I had an abortion" bomb on us when my young siblings were stil pre teen and it hosed them up bad. The sense of longing for a missing sibling was not something they should have had to deal with. Just, write a letter now and put it aside for 18 years.

Valid I guess. Just have the feeling it may come up or something.

Plus, there is nobody forcing you to bring religion into a conversation about miscarriage except yourself.

It's more of a ... I didn't have people die in my family I knew of until later on in my childhood where I could kind of deal, wife had people die when she was a kid, but her family took the "such and such is in heaven now" thing - and given as how we're both atheists would prefer to not bring that sort of thing in as a solution.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mekilljoydammit posted:

It's more of a ... I didn't have people die in my family I knew of until later on in my childhood where I could kind of deal, wife had people die when she was a kid, but her family took the "such and such is in heaven now" thing - and given as how we're both atheists would prefer to not bring that sort of thing in as a solution.

Religion is a good buffer in that case, because the kids have a fully undeveloped context of existence, so giving it parameters is an easy way to bookend the subject. Without that, man, it can just lead to the kid wandering down innumerable definitions of "who/what am I" at a developmentally sensitive and critical phase.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nah, it's all about context. If religion is used to build that safe, easy expectation of a life after, and then religion is removed later in life, it's a bigger shift than if it wasn't ever built in the first place.

Whether or not you find that depressing or uplifting depends on what stage you're at in that process.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Seminal Flu posted:

Religion is a good buffer in that case, because the kids have a fully undeveloped context of existence, so giving it parameters is an easy way to bookend the subject. Without that, man, it can just lead to the kid wandering down innumerable definitions of "who/what am I" at a developmentally sensitive and critical phase.

Counterpoint, if they start to notice inconsistencies in their religion, it can lead to an existential crisis and nihilism, because everything they know is a lie

There's no catchall, unfortunately

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

99% tax bracket
As an aside, we did actually have that. 99.25%, in fact. Dropped to 95% after the war, which is what the Beatles are singing about with "one for you, nineteen for me" in Taxman.

I think the US topped out at 94%.

mekilljoydammit posted:

I can't see it just coming up in conversation, and I don't see why you'd feel the need to tell them, unless there's factors for the two of you which made you be at a higher risk and need to have the talk if you go for a number 3 later, or if said factors are potentially congenital and you need to tell them to watch themselves if they choose to have kids - in which case, you can talk to them about it when they are older teens/adults and being on the giving or receiving end of a knocking up is a possibility.

The op my dad was in for earlier this year was for an aortic aneurysm, his dad had it as well, and it's only this year that my brother and I were told about it, because it's something we should keep half an eye out for in two or three decades. So it's good our parents told us, but there was no need for it to have been mentioned previously. Explaining it when our grandfather died that it was a complication of the op for something our dad and therefore we have a potential for would have just freaked us out/upset us, as we would be too young to properly unpack it and deal with it.

Seminal Flu posted:

Without that, man, it can just lead to the kid wandering down innumerable definitions of "who/what am I" at a developmentally sensitive and critical phase.
That's a good thing, to be honest, I see the value in shortcutting some stuff or taking the "lies to children" approach with extremely complex stuff that requires more base understanding first, but not by telling them stuff that is outright incorrect and just plain made up. Instead, help them work it out for themselves, and develop their own sense of self.

It's raising kids with the absolute knowledge that things are a certain way, and then ripping that bandaid off later that's going to really gently caress them up.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why bother telling them at all? They didn't lose a sibling, they just never gained one.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, that's really not a big issue for your kids. Like at all.

My mom had like 2 or three miscarriages before I came out, and I never even knew about it til a few years ago when she happened to mention it to one of her friends.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

As an aside, we did actually have that. 99.25%, in fact. Dropped to 95% after the war, which is what the Beatles are singing about with "one for you, nineteen for me" in Taxman.

I think the US topped out at 94%.

And now our top bracket is a crippling 39.6%, and they bitch every day about how it's stifling innovation and suppressing job growth and blah blah blah. Yet the golden years everyone pines for, the top bracket was never below 70%. makes u thnik

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I have hosed up badly I’m afraid.

Been fighting slow draining tub since moving in May 1st. Got tired of pussyfooting it with the snake and decided to try a load of lye. Two pounds went down the clean out there. 2 inch iron stack with a 90’ in the foundation. I thought dripping water down woulda got the poo poo going but instead it’s proved itself a caustic plug not letting any water down. I’m such a loving idiot. It’s in the pipe at least six inches up from the floor. Now normally I’m not scared of cutting cast iron, but this pipe is filled with gently caress yo poo poo up, and water....three inches in the tub upstairs. God dammit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

And now our top bracket is a crippling 39.6%, and they bitch every day about how it's stifling innovation and suppressing job growth and blah blah blah. Yet the golden years everyone pines for, the top bracket was never below 70%. makes u thnik
40% kicks in at £46,351 ($60k) here. 45% at £150k. The truly obscene rates are long gone.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, that's really not a big issue for your kids. Like at all.

My mom had like 2 or three miscarriages before I came out, and I never even knew about it til a few years ago when she happened to mention it to one of her friends.

Same, except my mom told me as a kid, but it was more in the context of "so you are special".

Unrelated to anything, Smile Bitch by Lil Duval is currently my favorite song and the video is great too. If you're a codger goon who hates all hip hop - SMILE BITCH. :D

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Know what else was ubiquitous during the heyday of American economic power? Public works projects
That's the easiest way to get money into the economy and increase the strength of your infrastructure at the same time, which will grow the economy in the future. Build a new interstate, replace some old dams, build new bridges, make new things that benefit everyone

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Door Frame posted:

Know what else was ubiquitous during the heyday of American economic power? Public works projects
That's the easiest way to get money into the economy and increase the strength of your infrastructure at the same time, which will grow the economy in the future. Build a new interstate, replace some old dams, build new bridges, make new things that benefit everyone

Fascinating, where do the massive corporate profits come in?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

lol sorry too busy building weapons and dumb ships to have public works, infrastructure or clean water

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

trouser chili posted:

I have hosed up badly I’m afraid.

Been fighting slow draining tub since moving in May 1st. Got tired of pussyfooting it with the snake and decided to try a load of lye. Two pounds went down the clean out there. 2 inch iron stack with a 90’ in the foundation. I thought dripping water down woulda got the poo poo going but instead it’s proved itself a caustic plug not letting any water down. I’m such a loving idiot. It’s in the pipe at least six inches up from the floor. Now normally I’m not scared of cutting cast iron, but this pipe is filled with gently caress yo poo poo up, and water....three inches in the tub upstairs. God dammit.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Rhyno holy poo poo :laffo:

I went fishing today for my dad's birthday. Nothing in this photo has been edited or altered:

Mrs. Adiabatic decided to renew our vows after I sent him this.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 2, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

builds character posted:

Spoiler: it’s just a front for a methamphetamine empire.
Probably. But the manager apparently also used to work at several locations in my hospital including the ED, and still is friends with a lot of people there, so I think that played a role as well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

I went fishing today for my dad's birthday. Nothing in this photo has been edited or altered:

Nice, it was my old man's birthday yesterday, too. I bought him a Wilesco live steam traction engine kit to mess about with. :11tea:. Then we all had steak and various alcohols rounded off by some nice whisky.

Rudely interrupted by Liverpool FC turning up at the hotel while we were trying to leave for dinner, but he has locking wheel nuts on his car, so it was all good.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 2, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

BUT DID YOU SEE THE RAINBOW. AND THE UNICORN.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Happy Fathers Day to all Aussie AI goon dads. Which I don't think there are any.

And reading and hearing stories from friends with babies, I'm sure as poo poo not gonna be the one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

BUT DID YOU SEE THE RAINBOW. AND THE UNICORN.
That isn't even the slightest bit unusual to me at this point.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I am getting pretty loving sick of wearing out chairs due to my FREAKISHLY HUGE OGRE BODY. Latest casualty is the folding lawn chair that I've been using since my office chair snapped a caster leg a few weeks back; this one was even supposed to be rated to 400 lbs. Apparently not, since my 335-lbs rear end just got dumped on the floor; the rivet holding the front crossbars together sheared completely, and the side bars from the seat back to the front feet snapped in half around the pivot bolt (thanks stress risers!). Not sure what broke first but they're all completely hosed.

At this point I'm terrified to trust load ratings on anything I might find in the store. What the gently caress am I supposed to do, make a chair body out of inch-thick plywood and stack it on top of cinder blocks?

I'm loving trying to lose weight stop reminding me of how fat and disgusting I am

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The new season of Ozark is delicious mmmmmmmboy

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The new season of Ozark is delicious mmmmmmmboy

Holy gently caress I can't wait to get home and watch it. The first season was surprisingly amazing in its dialogue.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I've been watching Castle Rock. I'm a fan.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Have you guys watched Bloodline? It's even better than the very-good Ozark imho.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

You Am I posted:

Happy Fathers Day to all Aussie AI goon dads. Which I don't think there are any.

And reading and hearing stories from friends with babies, I'm sure as poo poo not gonna be the one.

Yo

Father's Day breakfast in bed was disrupted this morning by my 3-year-old coming up to the bed while my wife was in the shower saying "daddy I've got a huge poo in my nappy". The smell preceded it - she sure did.

We're all a little bit sick in my household, and we're going over to my wife's parents' place for lunch. This unfortunately means that my wife's sister and her husband and 10-month-old can't be there, because the little guy is immunocompromised and we don't want to give him anything. They're going to go over there for dinner after we've cleared out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Memento posted:

Father's Day breakfast in bed was disrupted this morning by my 3-year-old coming up to the bed while my wife was in the shower saying "daddy I've got a huge poo in my nappy". The smell preceded it - she sure did.
Surely father's day prerogative is to send her to join mummy in the shower?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I pretty much just lurk this forum, and isn't it weird to lurk a chat thread? For some reason reading about Rhyno's terrible childhood/friends, MSG's experience in the military (which resonates deeply with mine) STR's insanely long posts about anything, which I deeply enjoy.

Anyways, about 5 years ago I wrecked my supercharged New Edge Mustang and swore off DD'ing a nice car forever, and I bought a '99 Passat and a '66 Mustang, and shifted my Need for fast cars to my Yamaha R1. 6 months later I started working 80-100 hours a week, and the Mustang was forgotten in storage, to become a colony for mice. Today I attempted to start it, with vague hopes, and on the 4th crank it fired up! So now I can move that old piece of poo poo to my new home, which actually has a garage, and start working on it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I went to autozone to rent a bearing separator and a bearing press, but they didn't have them in stock, so they gave me a bearing driver so I could get some of the work done. People pop out bearings in and out with sockets, so it made sense to me
Maybe I've eaten too much paste to use it correctly, maybe my bearings have basically welded themselves to the knuckle and need to be cut out. Either way, this thing is loving useless to me and I hate it.

The jaw adjustment ring is too wide and makes it impossible get further into the knuckle after the bearing moves, the jaw lock is so weak that it can only handle a couple of blows before it collapses, and it actually fell apart once when I was using it

Adiabatic posted:

You look so much like my brother now that he's slimmed down, it's spooky

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

That is the most absurd fishing outfit I've ever seen, and I own a drat mahi mahi patterned fishing shirt. (Nice fish btw, go post it in the fishing thread.)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

I am getting pretty loving sick of wearing out chairs due to my FREAKISHLY HUGE OGRE BODY. Latest casualty is the folding lawn chair that I've been using since my office chair snapped a caster leg a few weeks back; this one was even supposed to be rated to 400 lbs. Apparently not, since my 335-lbs rear end just got dumped on the floor; the rivet holding the front crossbars together sheared completely, and the side bars from the seat back to the front feet snapped in half around the pivot bolt (thanks stress risers!). Not sure what broke first but they're all completely hosed.

At this point I'm terrified to trust load ratings on anything I might find in the store. What the gently caress am I supposed to do, make a chair body out of inch-thick plywood and stack it on top of cinder blocks?

I'm loving trying to lose weight stop reminding me of how fat and disgusting I am

You're an engineer now dude, engineer a chair for orges, profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Have you guys watched Bloodline? It's even better than the very-good Ozark imho.

Sorry I can't agree with this at all. Bloodline was okay but I felt like they ran out of ideas and just kept having the characters create problems for themselves to keep the show going. I got very frustrated with that. It would have been a perfect single season show.

Also I love the trend I'm seeing of single season shows. Like a nice 10 hour long movie, or a complete movie trilogy in one sitting.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 2, 2018

• Locked thread