Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm gonna hope to get in the beta then play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Minrad posted:

that ui looks pretty atrocious

also lmao at "we took ui design ideas from dota underlords"

from one failing game to another, they just can't stop getting great ideas from all these corpses

It’s obviously not the final UI lol cmon man. They even said it was gonna be a lot of placeholder stuff before final release.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It’s obviously not the final UI lol cmon man. They even said it was gonna be a lot of placeholder stuff before final release.

ArtifactDefender95 has logged on

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Why don't they fix their dying game dota underlords?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

No Wave posted:

Why don't they fix their dying game dota underlords?

You aren't kidding, jeez

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Underlords is good, actually, even if it's also dead and no one cares about or will ever care about it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Amethyst posted:

ArtifactDefender95 has logged on

That’s right

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

eric ciaramella posted:

Underlords is good, actually, even if it's also dead and no one cares about or will ever care about it.

UnderlordsDefender77 has logged on

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Amethyst posted:

UnderlordsDefender77 has logged on

GuyWhoCantEnjoyAnything logged on

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

GuyWhoCantEnjoyAnything logged on

Not true. I enjoy posting in the artifact thread.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Amethyst posted:

You aren't kidding, jeez

aren't autochess games dying in general? they were big there for about 2 1/2 months and then people just collectively stopped talking about them

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Yeah but it's interesting seeing big guys like valve and riot going down with the rest of them.

Like remember when 20 mobas were released every month? Dota and league lasted while the others all died relentlessly.

With this latest wave of "take popular community based thing and commercialize it" it seems to be failing for valve, too. What changed? They probably just jumped the gun, thinking that auto-chess is the next dota, when really it was just a fad.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Battlegrounds and TFT are still games people actually play and post about here. Valve wasn't wrong to jump on a fad, they just ended up making a game that wasn't as good.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Also, Hans from GiantMoron said that he really likes it, so it must be good!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

The UI is incredibly obvious placeholder art. Like a significant number of icons are scribbled in, chill out.

i think it's fine to mock placeholder art in a game that a billion dollar company has spent years developing

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

AnEdgelord posted:

aren't autochess games dying in general? they were big there for about 2 1/2 months and then people just collectively stopped talking about them

I think Riot's Teamfight Tactics and the original Autochess game are still pretty popular in Korea and China respectively, but yeah, the hype has mostly died down on them. TFT had a mobile release only back in March, way after the initial boom, and it got something like 4 million downloads its first week (Underlords only got like 100k)

edit: Oh yeah duh, I forgot about Battlegrounds. At least on Twitch I feel like that's more popular than actual Hearthstone

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I feel like all Auto Chess games kinda died down in hype and popularity. I still play underlords and tft from time to time but its hard to get my friends to play either. Depends though, my circles are into different things right now.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No Wave posted:

Battlegrounds and TFT are still games people actually play and post about here. Valve wasn't wrong to jump on a fad, they just ended up making a game that wasn't as good.

Wasn't as good? Maybe. Not made by huge behemoth Blizzard or Riot? Absolutely. Like Dota 2 is big but not as big as those two and less targeted at more casual players.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Underlords collapsed because Valve started doing hilariously stupid poo poo like removing alliances and heroes en masse without adding many in to replace them. Plus the jail mechanic and stuff. Just bad decisions all around. It's the same as they did with Dota 2 but didn't have sunk cost fallacy diehards to cover up the fact that making huge changes at random made people not want to play it.

But hey, Underlords got a Battle Pass!!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Underlords dropped the jail mechanic and is actually good now.

Tft sucks and I cant tell anyone apart without having played 100,000 hours of league of legends. luckily for them there are a lot of people who have played 100,000 hours of league of legends and and can be convinced to try Tft.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Amethyst posted:

Yeah but it's interesting seeing big guys like valve and riot going down with the rest of them.

Like remember when 20 mobas were released every month? Dota and league lasted while the others all died relentlessly.

With this latest wave of "take popular community based thing and commercialize it" it seems to be failing for valve, too. What changed? They probably just jumped the gun, thinking that auto-chess is the next dota, when really it was just a fad.

I think a big part of it is that developers often underestimate first mover advantage.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

People I know who were way into autochess absolutely hate underlords explicitly because of all the things Valve didn't just outright copy and made themselves - the titular Underlord mechanic being chief among them.

New footage doesn't really make me interested to try it. I have no idea what the popularity of Runeterra is like but it felt like they did the whole unit placement strategy elements way better than Artifact. There's also the bigger question I have of why are they even bothering. This game was a historic-level crash-and-burn and I just don't know what, in Valve's eyes, a successful recovery looks like

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lambert posted:

Artifact is dead, Valve attempting to revive it just shows how rudderless a company it is.
Nah, it perfectly aligns with their strategy of only producing games with recurring revenue. I assume the TF2 hat money has been drying up these past few years, so gotta get something to replace it.

Alyx gives me hope, but that may be just a way to get devs to produce more VR games on Steam and sell $1,000 VR kits.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

People I know who were way into autochess absolutely hate underlords explicitly because of all the things Valve didn't just outright copy and made themselves - the titular Underlord mechanic being chief among them.

New footage doesn't really make me interested to try it. I have no idea what the popularity of Runeterra is like but it felt like they did the whole unit placement strategy elements way better than Artifact. There's also the bigger question I have of why are they even bothering. This game was a historic-level crash-and-burn and I just don't know what, in Valve's eyes, a successful recovery looks like

Runeterra is good but is basically Hearthstone + a refined version of Magic's stack. It is nothing like Artifact in terms of unit placement.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The stupidest part is if the Underlords had gone in as originally conceived. Permanent heroes with more complex abilities, preferably without giving them specific allegiances they're targeted at but generic stuff that lets them work with several, they would've been at least an interesting addition.

As it is they're totally random extra heroes who do random things and have zero actual synergies with team-building.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Yeah, they made the Underlord heroes even worse. I feel like the issue Valve has is that they rarely add content people get excited about. Dota 2 doesn't even average a new hero a year and holiday events got strangled and murdered (RIP Diretide.) Artifact never went beyond one card set. Underlords feels like it takes away more heroes and alliances than it adds. It should've been the easiest loving thing in the world to just slam heroes into Underlords. Valve's approach is just so :shrug: it seems.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think the auto chess thing was just a fad. It's a neat gameplay core, but I don't think it's enough to prop up an entire game. I feel like it would work well as the combat system for an rpg or something - make a game built around that system, don't make the system the entire game.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think the auto chess thing was just a fad. It's a neat gameplay core, but I don't think it's enough to prop up an entire game. I feel like it would work well as the combat system for an rpg or something - make a game built around that system, don't make the system the entire game.

Probably, but still, compare TFT with underlord's twitch numbers:

https://www.twitchmetrics.net/g/513143-teamfight-tactics
https://www.twitchmetrics.net/g/512693-dota-underlords

Huge difference.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

The stupidest part is if the Underlords had gone in as originally conceived. Permanent heroes with more complex abilities, preferably without giving them specific allegiances they're targeted at but generic stuff that lets them work with several, they would've been at least an interesting addition.

As it is they're totally random extra heroes who do random things and have zero actual synergies with team-building.

how do they work having only played a little of UL?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I played two hours of Underlords when it came out and I just don't get it at all. It feels like you need to know the stats and synergies of every hero before you even start playing - otherwise you're just throwing them in at random and hoping for the best.

It's also very boring as a genre.

stev fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 21, 2020

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Amethyst posted:

Probably, but still, compare TFT with underlord's twitch numbers:

https://www.twitchmetrics.net/g/513143-teamfight-tactics
https://www.twitchmetrics.net/g/512693-dota-underlords

Huge difference.

Riot has an insane player base for league, it's not really a shock that their league themed auto chess clone is vastly more popular than the dota2 equivalent.

They're all bad games anyway

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think Valve didn't want to miss out on the opportunity for another Fortnite.

Auto-chess could have been something similar with one player just raking in the big bucks.

But I also think the quantity and scheduling of updates that gaining and maintaining an equivalent to Fortnite's popularity requires is antithetical to Valve's hiring philosophy.

Epic grew massively just to compensate for how much work making poo poo for Fortnite required.

What Valve is doing right now is repairing the reputational loss that accrued from not releasing games for years and years.

Doggedly fixing Artifact and Underlords is probably one of the paths to that destination.

Look at how much rep and cash Ubisoft has gained for not abandoning Siege. They still update any games with any existing player-base.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

I played Dota Underlords a lot. I have friends who played it a lot. I've stopped playing it. Others are still playing it.

I don't particularly care whether there's another game in the same genre that has more people playing it. I can kind of understand why other people might care, but I'm not sure it's healthy to think that way.

Someone pointed out that games don't have to last forever. Each game doesn't have to be the last game you ever play.

I suspect this psychology ties in with all the in-game currency/levelling/battlepass systems that are now baked into games. Currencies only have value if people think they have value.

I'm looking forward to the next iteration of Artifact. I don't know what different people will consider a "success" in terms of how many players it attracts. I'm willing to say now that I don't think it will have as many players as Hearthstone, or Dota 2, or Fortnite.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cuntellectual posted:

how do they work having only played a little of UL?

So, originally they were on the board from round 1, had abilities you chose on a semi-regular basis (something like every 4 rounds) and this let you kind of, have a baseline to build any given team around. Unfortunately, when they released this version it was with 2 Underlords, one of who had literal inbuilt synergy with one of the better Allegiances to begin with. Thus everyone kind of got mad at them for utterly dominating how a game plays based on which Underlord you had (and you needed to play them to earn permanent out of game levels to access more of their talents in game), and very quickly it didn't actually have any decision making because one Underlord with one build was far superior to the other Underlord, or any other build for herself.

Valve, instead of trying to balance this and make them an interesting and meaningful addition and distinction from other Auto-chess games, instead cratered the entire original system and replaced it with choosing from the 4 currently available Underlords at round 10, of which you get 2 pre-built versions of that Underlord with an ability and an ultimate each. Instead of the old system where every 5 rounds you picked a new ability, a new passive modification of an ability, or an ultimate at round 20.

Basically Valve created a system that had potential, but was initially inserted half-baked and awkwardly balanced if not broken entirely, and then changed it entirely to a new system that only vaguely is shaped like the old one after far too long doing nothing with the old one. (It's an Artifact analogy)

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Honestly not getting the original devs for autochess probably hurt since it did splinter the userbase as well and they had to do different things from the already established formula.

If they kept the original autochess stuff it probably would have been decent

But devs realized there would be far more money in mobile in the chinese market and they weren't wrong

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
What we need for the cycle to be complete is for some russian basement hackers to release a better version of artifact as a custom map... in WC3 reforged.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://playartifact.com/betasignup/

let's go

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I got an email gently caress yeah.

quote:

Artifact <noreply@valvesoftware.com>
4:40 PM (2 minutes ago)
to me

We are excited to announce the kickoff of Artifact Beta 2.0! We’ve decided to approach things a bit differently this time around by gradually inviting people to join us while we are still “Under Construction”.

The gameplay has progressed enough that we’d like to start testing with a wider group: We’ve streamlined the game, removed the old monetization, and added many Quality of Life features.

As we begin to invite people to join us, here are some works-in-progress you’ll notice:
· Placeholder art and temporary effects in places
· Changing cards, art, and even game rules as we go
· Play modes that are currently disabled for testing will gradually be enabled as we add more players
· Card collections and stats may be reset during the Beta
· We’re still working on the ability to do observed playtests during this time, so expect some usability issues as we work out those kinks

You can see some of the changes here:
https://youtu.be/YjoyeBGwJVY
(contains footage from a development build, some gameplay details have changed)

Click here to opt-in to the Beta.

The link above will only work for players with the original game on their Steam Account (it doesn’t need to be installed). We will use a lottery system to invite people who have opted in. Invites will start out slow, so don’t be discouraged if you don’t get in right away. We will give everyone a chance before switching to an Open Beta.

See you in the game!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

quote:

We will start admitting playtesters soon, in a gradual manner, while prioritizing people who purchased Artifact before March 30, 2020.

I wonder if this means actually purchased, or received free with TI8 tickets.

what about people who bought cards? I bought cards. give me my loving key Gabem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I love the fact they are apparently worried people will buy the original Artifact to get into this beta. Better gate this thing nobody but the already indoctrinated even knows about!