Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Problem description: Windows 10 abruptly crashed shortly after a new install. I had the computer working fully for a few hours, installed a bunch of stuff on Ninite and even got in a few rounds of Overwatch. After that, I just let the computer sit on the desktop for a while; then the screen went blank. I think it was still downloading Windows updates but I'm not sure if that got disrupted or had anything to do with it. After letting it sit frozen for a long while I turned off the power and rebooted, from there it can't get past the BIOS. It'll reboot two or three times, then it'll get to the "recovery options" screen in Windows 10.

Attempted fixes: Tried the "reset PC option", it got to 40% and froze for several hours. Tried to boot in safe mode with networking; that actually got me to the desktop but it wasn't connected to the internet. (Ethernet, not wifi.) Regardless, it can't boot into full Windows 10.

UPDATE AND THREAD RE-OPENING: Ok, so I went out and bought a Samsung 960 EVO SSD, figuring the HDD was broken. Well, I installed the SSD, got the Windows installer to locate it and format it, and it seems to have completed the installation process. But lo and behold, same exact issue. BIOS screen clears, it hangs on a black screen until it resets. Eventually it gets me to the Windows recovery screen, giving me the list of options like reseting the PC or rebooting in safe mode. I'm honestly out of ideas. How can a new install on a brand new SDD not work??

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: H370 mobo, Intel i5 8500, 8 GB rpijaws v series DDR4 SDRAM; Seasonic 650 watt 80 plus gold PSU; Gigabyte Radeon 7950 HD vid card. Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB SSD.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Lemma fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Use onboard video temporarily and see if that makes any difference. If not, then try using only one stick of RAM.

If you can get back into Windows make sure to upgrade the motherboard to the latest BIOS version.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
OK! It looks like using onboard video did the trick! I'm back on the desktop and everything seems to be stable. Thanks a lot!

Now, being that the video card seems to have been what was killing Windows, do you suppose the vidcard is broken, or is it just some kind of software issue that can be fixed?

Thanks again though, it's a relief just to get this far!

UPDATE: Some more trial-and-error and I can now completely confirm that the computer runs for a short while with the Radeon installed, and inevitably crashes. Won't boot into Windows without crashing again. So I guess the Radeon must be fried. Is PC Par Picker's wattage estimate accurate? It said my build should be about 350-400w, my PSU is rated for 650, and I don't lose power when it crashes, so I'm guessing the PSU can't be the issue. But just to be sure...

Lemma fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 3, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lemma posted:

Now, being that the video card seems to have been what was killing Windows, do you suppose the vidcard is broken, or is it just some kind of software issue that can be fixed?

Yes, the video card could be dying.

Or it's possible the PSU is failing. How old is the PSU?

Or even less likely the GPU slot on the motherboard is failing.

Lemma posted:

...I don't lose power when it crashes, so I'm guessing the PSU can't be the issue. But it pays to be sure...

PSUs can fail in a lot of ways. They don't need to shut down/explode or lose all power to fail. If one is degraded or underpowered it can cause freezing, BSODs and other odd stuff.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
PSU is maybe 3 years old? Mobo is brand new. I’m running my much older 6770 GPU now and it’s been fine, if graphically pathetic. That’s too bad, I was hoping to get a few years in on this build before I replaced the GPU. Oh well, least I can use the thing now.

Edit: odd new detail, it seems like it only crashes when I try to install the Radeon 7950 driver software, which Windows update seems to attempt to do.... might take a look at what happens when I download and install the drivers from the AMD website directly.

Update: I’m beginning to think it is indeed a driver issue.... I installed the 6770 driver and saw it listed under Display on device manager, so as an experiment I deleted that and installed the newest 7950 driver... but I don’t see it listed anywhere. Under other devices I do see a PCI Devices listed, with a little yellow warning triangle. Not sure if that’s it or what.

I've downloaded the driver from this page:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000-series/amd-radeon-hd-7950

But I get an error message when I try to run the installer. PC Part Picker says this GPU is compatible with the rest of my build, but now I'm not so sure???

Update: Word on the street is (https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-amd-driver-install-problems/) that Windows 10 might have gone ahead and installed it's own weird idea of driver software for the card, which is conflicting with the AMD software I tried to install. So I booted in with the onboard graphics, went into devices and uninstalled all AMD software through the software manager.

Now I've downloaded the driver again, it got farther than before but didn't finish because I don't have the AMD plugged in. Going to replace the card and see if the driver doesn't install correctly this time. Though I'm hoping booting it up won't prompt Windows to try to install stuff on its own again!

Update: I plugged the 7950 back in, booted both using that and I tried booting with the onboard. Windows can’t evn start either way. Guess that rules out drivers.

Oddly enough Newegg recommends 730w for this build, but I’ve gotten along fine with 650 for years now... I doubt the new mobo put it over the top wattage wise, and AMD itself recommends a minimum 500w for the card. At this point it basically comes down to I need a new GPU or a new PSU. Any final tests I can run to be certain before I toss a $300 card?

Lemma fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lemma posted:

At this point it basically comes down to I need a new GPU or a new PSU. Any final tests I can run to be certain before I toss a $300 card?

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS. If that doesn't help I'd try putting that 7950 card in another computer to test if possible.

If you can't do that then whatever is preferable for you to try. Another new GPU or another new high quality PSU mentioned in the main thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409

For most users after three years a PSU should still be okay. But with very heavy use it could be degraded already.

• Locked thread