Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/sydney-man-dead-after-angry-mob-attacks-ambos

What's the deal with this story? How the gently caress do medics get attacked by 80 people in a unit block?

a large amount of people on drugs/alcohol and a lack of institutional trust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

What's the deal with this story? How the gently caress do medics get attacked by 80 people in a unit block?

brain poisoning via poo poo heads like alex jones and other crappy rumours like 'if you are an organ doner the doctors will kill you rather than save you' causing a bunch of strung out dickheads to be distrustful of any kind of Govt/Official, plus mob mentality

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

bell jar posted:

80 people is a lot of people in a small area for 8AM on a Sunday morning.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

Some people call every member of their extended family when something like this happens and it feels like you’re gonna die and or get lynched. It’s super hosed.

AMA about working on dead person and pretending they’re still alive so that you don’t get curb stomped by a worked up mob. (Actually don’t, it’s hosed).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

It's not even a good QLD pork barrel. They are still planning to spend billions on a high speed rail track from Canberra to Sydney. Not to Brisbane. Not to the Gold Coast. All the serious future proof projects stop at the NSW border. All QLD is getting from an LNP govt is road repairs.

gently caress em.

No one wants to make it easier for backwards racist Queenslanders to leave their state, let alone get to Canberra.

My election pledge - build a wall around Queensland, paid for by all One Nation and KAP voters.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

The Victorian Government is doing public consultation to develop regional plans for bushfire management.

The first question asks respondents to rate the value of human life from 1 to 10 stars

probably just a question to help weed out results.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm not going to complain about it being 2018 and people still loving making golliwogs because I'm pretty sure there will still be golliwogs and blackface in australia in 2028

All the more reason to complain about it now so that in 2028 they have even less space to say "Oh, I didn't realise anyone could have a problem with it!".

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm not going to complain about it being 2018 and people still loving making golliwogs because I'm pretty sure there will still be golliwogs and blackface in australia in 2028

Chris Lilley still having a job supports your argument pretty strongly.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hambeet posted:

probably just a question to help weed out results.

That makes sense. You exclude all the ones that rate human life above 8 as they clearly care too much about people and not enough about profit, yeah?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh I'm still going to gripe about it, I'm just going to stop being disappointed that it's *current year*

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Easy-peasy: filter out anyone who doesn't rate human life as ten stars as an unserious answer, then make it impossible to rate it ten stars because it's off the screen. Oh, well, study's got to continue because we don't have enough answers. Oh, I have no idea why!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Is there not a follow up or comparison question later about how much do you value pet/wild animal life?

Also holy poo poo that mob owned themselves pretty hard.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Christine Forster, Tony Abbott's sister, has pulled out of the Liberal preselection race for Malcolm Turnbull's former Sydney seat amid fears it might stoke divisions within the party.

Well that was a quick week.

Guessing internal polling say Liberals are dead there and whoever gets offered up knows they won't win.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Lid posted:

Christine Forster, Tony Abbott's sister, has pulled out of the Liberal preselection race for Malcolm Turnbull's former Sydney seat amid fears it might stoke divisions within the party.

Well that was a quick week.

Guessing internal polling say Liberals are dead there and whoever gets offered up knows they won't win.

Internal polling probably says they need a Malcalike small l liberal. One who is prepared to be vocally anti-Dutton and "the out of control right".
It's absolutely a seat they can win they just need to play the right cards.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Schlesische posted:

Internal polling probably says they need a Malcalike small l liberal. One who is prepared to be vocally anti-Dutton and "the out of control right".
It's absolutely a seat they can win they just need to play the right cards.

What the gently caress would you call an out and proud lesbian who's been a card carrying party member and office bearer for several decades?

No, more likely the right* has threatened to riot if they let a queer into the party room.

*her brother

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
the libs should still be heavy favourites in Wentworth, they’re rich and know to vote in their own interests

Anidav what are the bookies saying?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Birdstrike posted:

the libs should still be heavy favourites in Wentworth, they’re rich and know to vote in their own interests

Yeah but Turnbull was one of them too, rich and socialites are very incestuous and they would take this betrayal by the populists appealing to the common rabble as the worst act by Robespierre.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There will definitely be a protest vote. Malc had a lot of personal approval, enough to erode the margin back into "Marginal" status. If the Libs pick a bad candidate and the ALP campaigns well, it COULD threaten their majority.

My moneys on it staying in their hands, but the margin dropping through the floor.

Edit: Also suspect that Greens preferences will play a big part.

Di Natale's probably playing the right notes for this crowd, even if the rest of us think he's Turning Tory.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Birdstrike posted:

The same odds as ScoMo being PM

5 to 1

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

hooman posted:

Dat framing.

We pulled this because some people have taken offence.

Not

We pulled this because it turns out making caricature dolls of another racist is a kind of lovely thing to do!

The golliwog dolls won prizes lol

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-03/steve-bannon-says-china-is-at-economic-war-with-west/10174604

quote:

Mr Bannon has continued to campaign for Mr Trump's economic nationalist message in the US and overseas, despite the relationship between the two men souring.
He played a key role in Britain's Brexit campaign and has also forged links with right and left-wing nationalist groups across Europe. He now plans on bringing his crusade to Australia before the next federal election.
"There's a lot of anger out there and I think that this anger can be harnessed," he said.
He says Australia is ripe for the same working-class revolt.
"Australia is going to be a hotbed of populism. Just knowing that cussedness and grit of the Australian people," he said.
Following the pattern of trash people spreading their filth over here once they've worn out their welcome overseas

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

What the gently caress would you call an out and proud lesbian who's been a card carrying party member and office bearer for several decades?

No, more likely the right* has threatened to riot if they let a queer into the party room.

*her brother

lol she was running as a Liberal?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

but why is a golliwog more offensive than a black barbie doll or an asian barbie doll

a question that I was actually asked by a coworker once

That's some galaxy brain poo poo.

Ask the coworker if a framed photograph of him is the same as someone mockingly imitating him.

EDIT: Actually, don't bother, just cut their brakes.

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 3, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol the Victorian government just tabled 80,000 pages of previously confidential documents on Matthew Guy’s corrupt planning intervention while Minister :owned:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

bell jar posted:

Look this is personal as my wife is a paramedic down here in Melbourne but gently caress defending people who attach ambos and doctors and nurses etc. at least with cops I get it they beat people up but my wife has had to lock herself in her truck and dial 000 herself on more than one occasion. She’s pregnant at the moment and I worry all the time for her. She worked the ambos peer support program for a couple of months a while back and had to call people who dealt with trauma / assaults / etc to make sure they are ok (ambos self harm and suicide at a rate much higher than the national average) and she never had a day when someone wasn’t assaulted on the job. Not one.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Ask the coworker if a framed photograph of him is the same as someone mockingly imitating him.

she doesn't work with us any more, thank god

instead I just have to deal with my dickhead manager who thought the art piece "Siren Song" during Fringe Festival was a Muslim prayer helicopter indoctrinating us so we are ready for when they invade in 10 years.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
everyone i work with is a galaxy brain

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

also i am pretty sure when i tried to explain it the answer i got was "but thats what they look like"

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

lol she was running as a Liberal?

Yes she's an active member of the Liberal party and she IS a Liberal party councillor in the City of Sydney.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

If you're surrounded by galaxy brains, it's probably you who is the galaxy brain

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

she doesn't work with us any more, thank god

instead I just have to deal with my dickhead manager who thought the art piece "Siren Song" during Fringe Festival was a Muslim prayer helicopter indoctrinating us so we are ready for when they invade in 10 years.

What is wrong with these people's brains?

I mean if a nun prays at you then 10 years later you're not suddenly going to be like OH MAN I'M CHRISTIAN AF NOW.

also i am pretty sure when i tried to explain it the answer i got was "but thats what they look like"

:magical:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Everyone hambeet works with is a catallaxy brain

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol the Victorian government just tabled 80,000 pages of previously confidential documents on Matthew Guy’s corrupt planning intervention while Minister :owned:

Noice

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Can't wait for the balanced commentary on that.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hambeet posted:

If you're surrounded by galaxy brains, it's probably you who is the galaxy brain
Noted galaxy brain Hambeet.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hambeet posted:

I'm the pea brain

Solemn Sloth posted:

loving noice. Bury that boring bastard

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

My favourite galaxy brains at work are comments section moderators.

Eg. https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/opinion-he-she-or-they-which-one-are-you/news-story/94ebdf040ea9def284c391fc18d1f256

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Paywalled.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Basically an article about transgender athletes using thier own pronouns and the entire comments section is calling them freaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

teacup posted:

Look this is personal as my wife is a paramedic down here in Melbourne but gently caress defending people who attach ambos and doctors and nurses etc. at least with cops I get it they beat people up but my wife has had to lock herself in her truck and dial 000 herself on more than one occasion. She’s pregnant at the moment and I worry all the time for her. She worked the ambos peer support program for a couple of months a while back and had to call people who dealt with trauma / assaults / etc to make sure they are ok (ambos self harm and suicide at a rate much higher than the national average) and she never had a day when someone wasn’t assaulted on the job. Not one.

oh for sure, there's nothing good about beating up on medics, seeing as they are literally only there to help. but i was just explaining how/why this could happen

• Locked thread