Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I totally disagree with any interpretation of NITW that describes it as uplifting or somehow letting the bad guys off the hook. It is not a happy ending, and nobody has come closer to solving any of their problems. You should finish NITW wanting to smash the state. This is what happens when the culture of hot takery collapses in on itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've never played NITW, but I can't let the people down when they want to smash the state.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Also lol at the idea that the town doesn't have a problem with queer people. I took it as they very explicitly don't mention it - having been in and worked in tons of absolutely tiny towns the people are often extremely friendly with anyone of any type.They keep their bigotry in their pockets until they get home.

I'm sure I'm not alone in being a straight white dude who people have eagerly brought up their dogshit ideologies with because I look like the correct kind of person to agree with them - that's when this stuff came out, not yelled out in the streets at passerby (generally.)

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 1, 2018

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Ooh, ooh. New season of Overwatch comp started yesterday. I got banned from the last one because I stupidly kept trying to play during lovely weather and disconnected. I eagerly look forward to making people mad by playing off-meta characters well.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I just a got a GBA copy of the Mother 3 translation and I’m gonna play it on my Game Boy Player :cool:

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

codenameFANGIO posted:

I just a got a GBA copy of the Mother 3 translation and I’m gonna play it on my Game Boy Player :cool:

hell yeah

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

drat, living the gamer lyfe

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Sweet, I got out of the family BBQ by explaining I felt like poo poo and wanted to not be stuck out at my father-in-laws place if and when my mom texts me more about her serious illness and potential surgeries when she gets off work in an hour. I know for a fact that my father-in-law is going to be talking poo poo about me behind my back, saying I'm lying or something, but gently caress him. :shrug:

Going to chug through what I have left of Super Robot Taisen Alpha 3 today in the meantime so I can check it off my backlog for good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

that's a dope Saturday

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm gonna stop playing yakuza 0 after i finish the real estate and cabaret club stuff because the thought of spending 100 hours on garbage like the telephone club sounds really awful. feel like after the mushroom dealer and passport to pizza i've pretty much seen all of the best side stuff the game has to offer

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
terekura doesn't take that long

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

terekura doesn't take that long

it doesn't have to take long for me to hate it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

it doesn't have to take long for me to hate it

ask her about small baby ferrets

May 8, 2006

I'm constantly on the fence about calling it on Assassin's Creed Origins. I've played about 20 hours of it, and I liked most of it - I think it's a massive improvement on what came before. I also think the game is beautiful - I just like walking around it in and seeing the world. I bought it because in the past year I've wanted to pick up photography, but for the time being it's financially unwise. ACO's great photomode gave me a little of that, and it was my favorite thing about the game. I took around 200 screenshots in those 20 hours and legitimately enjoyed checking in to see if they got liked by others between play sessions, or made it to the front page of the 'photos of the day' on the official website (before they papered over it with the preorder stuff for the next game.)

My issue comes down to the level scaling - I felt like I did a decent amount of the side content but the main story outpaced my progress. Once you're more than 2 levels or so under a given enemy, things get harsh. You start doing way less, and taking way more - and quickly start losing the ability to instant-kill people with assassinations. I might just end up seeing if I can cheat myself to max level.

I'm pretty hype for the next game though, a statement I'd never thought I'd say about this series.

EDIT: I forgot the back half of my thought - the photo mode, while not quite as easy to use, is what brings me back to No Man's Sky after the most recent update. I've mostly been playing it co-op with a couple of friends and I'm definitely getting carried progress-wise by one of them while I take pictures of poo poo and chase animals around.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 1, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sidequests are your best XP in ACO.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Maybe they played a hacked version of the game?? ????????

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytPUmHaczvM

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

So that horrible PUA game did so well among ironic twitch viewers that it's getting a sequel, with a budget apparently big enough for stunts with tanks and a yacht.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp0YsdGQtIM&t=172s

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
don't worry this time he hired a woman to give a female perspective in his game where he teaches you how you can hit on one of your employees at the workplace without getting arrested

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm sure I'm not alone in being a straight white dude who people have eagerly brought up their dogshit ideologies with because I look like the correct kind of person to agree with them - that's when this stuff came out, not yelled out in the streets at passerby (generally.)

I used to go with my dad when he worked(he does HVAC). Being an "impressionable" young white boy in someone's home brought this poo poo out to 11.

The Midwest is filled with the nicest horrible people in the world.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nasgate posted:

The Midwest is filled with the nicest horrible people in the world.
This is the pithiest way I've ever seen this truth put.

May 8, 2006

To clarify my poorly-worded take, of course nice people in small towns treat minorities lovely, but the depiction in NitW is pretty in line with my second and third hand experiences of how it plays out. I'm sure someone smarter could make decent criticisms of how it's handled in that game, but that article sure isn't it.

I re-read the article and I still think it's pretty bad but I'm not 100% against some of the idea in it, I'm just don't buy the thought that anyone would play NiTW and somehow come away more pro-Trump than they were before.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Costco has a 1080p 32" Curved Samsung monitor for $180. Impulse bought that. :homebrew: Never had a monitor this large before.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't played Night in the Woods because I see enough forestry outside my window as it is, but people will see whatever they want in stuff whether its a warranted take or not.

Like there are people that watched Apocalypse Now and then immediately signed up to join the army.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Raxivace posted:

I haven't played Night in the Woods because I see enough forestry outside my window as it is, but people will see whatever they want in stuff whether its a warranted take or not.

Like there are people that watched Apocalypse Now and then immediately signed up to join the army.

Finance dudebros watched Wall Street and Wolf of Wall Street and thought "hell yeah we're fuckin' awesome"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Finance dudebros watched Wall Street and Wolf of Wall Street and thought "hell yeah we're fuckin' awesome"
Yeah exactly. Some people are just never gonna get whatever message you intend, even if stuff like Wall Street and Wolf of Wall Street are pretty unsubtle about their intent.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unlike Wolf of Wall Street or Apocalypse Now there's nothing satirical about NITW, though. You'd have to be a pathological contrarian or just a grade-A dunce to think it's some pro-Trump screed, and even if you're a huge fukken moron Bea literally spells it all out in the game's final moments.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I always know to steer clear of anyone who watches Fight Club and takes the message in that movie as a positive.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
how does this article even begin to get the idea that a game co-created by scott benson is purposeful pro-trump propaganda

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The secret is that Trump supporters are almost all in sunken cost mode so they tend to see everything as pro-Trump to reinforce their actions and not have to come to the realization that they made a horrible choice.

May 8, 2006

my guess is that they went in expected a specific type of catharsis and when the game failed to provided it, it must be assumed that it's due to malice on the end of the game rather than a missed expectation

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like i guess i could understand having that kind of oddly negative takeaway and doing a piece on how they had like, unintentionally created something like that but

i don't think anyone involved with night in the woods, has any kind of positive feelings for donald trump lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

my guess is that they went in expected a specific type of catharsis and when the game failed to provided it, it must be assumed that it's due to malice on the end of the game rather than a missed expectation

It seems like the writer wanted some kind of further revenge exacted upon the people of Possum Springs other than NITW's correct conclusion that the cult was only reflection of a large, unknowable hole at the center of everything. The hole that is capitalism. It's capitalism, folks.

Like you sincerely have to be really dumb to miss this.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Raxivace posted:

Pretty sure the enlistment rate here shot up when Elite Squad came out but that wasn't satire which makes it much worse

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally came back to Yakuza 5 with my wife and goddamn I didn’t realize just how long this game is. We started like 7 hours ago and we’re still in Kiryu’s chapters.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
KCB and I went to a pinball museum where you pay an entry fee and everything they have is in free play mode. Not everything was actually working, but they had some good machines there that worked and a few non-pinball things as well that were interesting like a billiards table, a couple of airhockey tables, some ski ball, some mini bowling some older arcade games like pac-man and some less old arcade games like House of the Dead 2. I got to finally fulfill one of my bucket list of goals of playing the Gottlieb Mario Bros Mushroom World pinball table that I saw all the time when I was 3 and 4 but never played because I was bad at pinball and didn't want to pay just to watch the ball go down the drain.

Got to play some pinbot, bride of pinbot, black knight 2000, there were some others that unfortunately weren't working like haunted house but it was still a fun time. We stuck around for about 3 hours and then left about 15 minutes before closing time. They had some pachinko machines and slot machines as well that were supposedly in working order but they didn't seem to be turned on so you couldn't play them. I saw a gundam themed slot machine and an ashita no joe pachinko machine.

We played through house of the dead 2 together, the first time I've actually ever beaten that game since we had access to infinite credits so we could just keep throwing ourselves at the bosses (mostly magician and emperor) until they finally went down. My hand hurts though because the way I was holding the gun was I'd hold the gun in one hand and use my finger to just repeatedly mash the trigger. The main downside to that was the pain and also I couldn't do this in a comfortable way where I could aim well so I was shooting from the hip and mostly just spraying and praying lol

Had a lot of fun though!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Raxivace posted:

A close friend who was in the marines likes to refer to these people as “the ones who watched the first half of Platoon but not the second half.” They’re an unpleasant bunch.

Speaking of the subject, I’m continuing a Total Warhams campaign today and drat if it’s not a pretty tough game when compared to Civ. It skews towards war all the time though. I think this might be my final play through and then I can be ready for Spider-Man if it ends up reviewing well.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What makes a pinball table good/bad

They all seem kind of the same to me but idk anything about pinball

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i will say though

Verranicus posted:

The writer later went on to claim she was being attacked because she was trans and not because of the terrible article or something.

she's probably still at least partially right about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i can respect wanting the game to end with possum springs in flames. gregg and angus want nothing more than to leave as soon as they possibly can, it's heavily implied that your homeless buddy kills himself when the city council makes it clear they don't want him in their town, everyone is just in general kind of miserable

• Locked thread