Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

What makes a pinball table good/bad

They all seem kind of the same to me but idk anything about pinball

I'm not sure tbh, I think it mostly just comes down to "are you having fun"

Like, compare something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w9DFQkrO7E

to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgJ2WFcQ5xI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

i can respect wanting the game to end with possum springs in flames. gregg and angus want nothing more than to leave as soon as they possibly can, it's heavily implied that your homeless buddy kills himself when the city council makes it clear they don't want him in their town, everyone is just in general kind of miserable

Regarding your spoiler, I thought a dev confirmed that that didn't happen

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

The Colonel posted:

i will say though

she's probably still at least partially right about this

oh yeah 100%

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Regarding your spoiler, I thought a dev confirmed that that didn't happen

oh, i haven't read any dev interviews about it but you'd have to be a big optimist to interpret that sequence otherwise imo (I'm not a big optimist)

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good pinball tables will have lots of interesting targets to aim for, won't grab your balls (:haw:) just for the sake of messing up your rhythm , will have cool interactions between elements of the playfield, and have obvious objectives.

Medieval Madness is a great table, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21qTR0o5Lmc

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A good pinball table is any of the ones Farsight lost the rights to for Pinball Arcade

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

a messed up horse posted:

Good pinball tables will have lots of interesting targets to aim for, won't grab your balls (:haw:) just for the sake of messing up your rhythm , will have cool interactions between elements of the playfield, and have obvious objectives.

Medieval Madness is a great table, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21qTR0o5Lmc

DAMSEL MADNESS IS LIT

I know jack poo poo about pinball but I was at a barcade recently and they had a bunch and I got to wondering - how much maintenance is a pinball table? I'm under the impression they have to be waxed from time to time, at least.

They also had a sit-down DariusBurst cabinet but someone was always in it when I went to try and play.

EDIT: and Rampage crashed and the Simpsons arcade game's controllers only half worked.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 2, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bitch does it look like I want to look at codes for domino's sadass attempts at a sub

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I judge all tables by the quality of their voice clips and SFX. The more it talks about things like the mamushka or fumes and toxic waste, the better.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pinball loving owns

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

Bitch does it look like I want to look at codes for domino's sadass attempts at a sub

subway doesn't really do much better

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat the jp version of wario world and having a second phase turns the purple jewel from an incredibly monotonous, anticlimactic boss to like. actually a really fun fight that visibly builds on the core mechanics rather than just kind of tossing them away to make you smash crystals forever. it sure would have been cool, if they had finished the entire final boss before releasing the game in the us!!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Looper posted:

i can respect wanting the game to end with possum springs in flames. gregg and angus want nothing more than to leave as soon as they possibly can, it's heavily implied that your homeless buddy kills himself when the city council makes it clear they don't want him in their town, everyone is just in general kind of miserable

He was killed by the cult, they make that pretty clear.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
For no real reason other than the fact that I like this song and artist, I would like to link this song for all of you because I enjoy Frank Turner's work and I feel like a lot of his music really speaks to me in how it feels like I can try to get better even if I'm an absolute mess of a human being and that it's not stupid for me to think that I can gently caress up everything by existing but that I can take hold of those feelings and know that they are really mine, to know that I have time and I can hopefully be better someday, to one day possibly even resemble something like a functioning human being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB4Avdlz3lk

Stay gold, chat thread posters.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Help Im Alive posted:

What makes a pinball table good/bad

They all seem kind of the same to me but idk anything about pinball

People touched on it already but I'll add my two cents. There are a number of things that make a good table:

• Variety of shots needed to get a high score (not dominated by a single shot)
  • Flow (a bit nebulous, but how it feels to play; things like making consecutive shots at multiple targets/ramps)
  • Depth: are there overarching goals? Is there a clear way to advance those goals? Is it TOO complex (pinball veterans love complexity but there's such a thing as too much)
  • Theme (the basic concept/look/sound effects are attractive)
  • Fairness (doesn't seem to always drain balls before they even touch your flippers our have giant outlanes)

Obviously there's some subjectivity in most of these. Flow is interesting in that it varies from designer to designer; someone like George Gomez loves to design tables with ramps where you can just keep the ball going, where Pat Lawlor likes pop bumpers and other gimmicks that hold onto the ball for a bit (but still has some flow to his tables.) Having a bunch of digital versions of these tables in Pinball Arcade makes it easy to see the similarities in a designer's work. Lawlor in particular is easy to spot, you can trace a direct line from Whirlwind to Ripley's Believe It or Not.

Pokémon Pinball and Metroid Prime Pinball are two of my favorite virtual tables because of the themes being *perfect* and also adhering for the most part to real-world table design principles while introducing things that could only work in a video game (and making things a bit easier since they aren't arcade games by design.) Pokémon Pinball does have a bit of a problem with dominating scoring strategies, but the progression and depth are done very well. Metroid Prime Pinball has a fantastic overall progression, but some of the modes are difficult and the modes where Samus shoots at enemies last far too long when you just want to get back to playing the pinball part.

Galactic Pinball on Virtual Boy has great music but without the manual the progression is very mysterious.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Whenever we go to an arcade or bar with one my wife and I dabble with the pinball machines but more often than not we spend all our time playing games like Sound Voltex, IIDX and Museca.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

since i have the vrv trial i watched legends of the hidden temple. i also saw that they added momoru hosuda's films (summer wars, wolf children, etc)

legends is so unbelievably rigged against the kids it feels like a wager pitched between the devil and god

May 8, 2006

I've been told that the kids were messed with in the background too - they were yelled at and purposefully confused in the background during the temple part but I can't speak to how true it is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US-WKYA89Ig
Here ya go

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PInuVXgxO1g

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Overwatch is fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Overwatch is fun.

D.Va is fun. The rest of it, eh.

This also applies to HotS.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"the hole in the center of everything" is my personal best piece of game writing of 2017 and probably in my top ten of all time

night in the woods cuts deep

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The only fun character in HOTS is Abathur because idiots constantly accuse you of being afk.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
hot take: Night in the Woods was the best game to come out in the year that had things like Mario Odyssey and Zelda and NeiR and whatever :colbert:

May 8, 2006

Macaluso posted:

hot take: Night in the Woods was the best game to come out in the year that had things like Mario Odyssey and Zelda and NeiR and whatever :colbert:

2017 ruled for gaming

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If I could ever make a custom pinball table, I'd make one based on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 7

Really I could make it based on anything, but Part 7 in particular has a lot of elements that would fit in with a pinball table, down to the name of the arc being "Steel Ball Run" and one of its 2 primary protagonists attacking through the use of a martial art known as "spin" that involved throwing a metal ball at people

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Appoda posted:

I judge all tables by the quality of their voice clips and SFX. The more it talks about things like the mamushka or fumes and toxic waste, the better.

So this should be the greatest pinball table of all time then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKDvjVzpNQ

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Watching more MGS2

Can Kojima make an entire game about Fat Man please

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Internet Kraken posted:

Watching more MGS2

Fat Man Goes To The Pahty

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Macaluso posted:

it wasn't my fav of 17 but i liked it a lot. i shan't make it a competition

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Kraken posted:

Watching more MGS2

Goddamn that dude owned

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know why, but after a jittery, laggy match in SF5 time feels weird for a bit. I am sadly not good enough to escape lagsville.

May 8, 2006

I always get weirdly hype after beating someone really laggy in a fighting game, like i overcame someone cheating

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I too experience a thrill from drinking the blood of all of my opponents and enemies.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The catharsis of defeating frustration through virtual violence is pretty good!

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Wamdoodle posted:

Black Knight 2000 is very strong. Fun video game fact: the voice is the same dude who did the Mortal Kombat 2 Shao Khan that everybody remembers.

JoaoVitorBF
Aug 31, 2018

I AM THE DARKNESS
I'm pretty excited for Insurgency: Sandstorm.
Insurgency is one of the best FPS available today, and the new one will probably be at least as good as this one but with driveable cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Wamdoodle posted:

I’m confused because you’re stating an objective truth like it is sarcasm??

• Locked thread