Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

the beauty of the civil service (apart from working with great people from all walks of life for the betterment of the UK) is you can move jobs as much as you like. personally I spent about a year at each grade before applying on promotion to the next one up in a different dept. conversely I have friends who have worked their way up in the same directorate of the same dept! others have spent time abroad in washington. its the career that puts you in control

Riiight but none of that actually addresses your laughable claim that £50k is easily attainable when that would actually put you in the top ten percent of earners, and still earning considerably less than someone in the private sector with the same skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Breath Ray is Mrs Flaps fyi

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

happy septembermas thread

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Riiight but none of that actually addresses your laughable claim that £50k is easily attainable when that would actually put you in the top ten percent of earners, and still earning considerably less than someone in the private sector with the same skills.

Well I attained it so...!!!

I didn't mention the private sector - I said it was stable and well paid. but if you factor in pensions and holidays and never being fired then I suppose its comparable

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fash dad was a top civil servant, he chose to turn a job in the city down because he felt the civil service was a safer option. His best friend who did the exact same economics university degree/masters went into the city and retired a millionaire at 40.

His wife likes to invite my mother to their Cheshire mansion for brunch just so she can passive aggressively gloat.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

baka kaba posted:

literally or figuratively?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Nonsense, She voted for Corbyn.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

baka kaba posted:

What the gently caress.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
That's indirextly true gonzo - in the last three elections I voted green leave and whoever the locval labour candidate was

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
When I briefly worked in journalism, we never actually had did anything investigative, the working day was trawling twitter and the local news pages for stories that might have a different angle or a wider relevance than originally published, phoning up the source people, and getting quotes. My favourites were being the middleman in an academic slapfight between Sir Tom Devine and some Queens University researchers about Catholic social mobility (felt really bad for the Queen's U guys, spend months doing research and publishing, and Scotland's top historian just fires off an email from his holiday essentially reading "dis sum bullshit"), and wasting a couple of hours phoning up every single Labour PR or comms phone number I could find to ask them very leading questions about Corbyn's latest hot take on Scottish politics without ever getting an answer.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

I am sorry that I missed this article when it first came out. :discourse:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Breath Ray posted:

you'd be surprised how much scope there is to influence ministers. its all part of being an impartial and objective professional. some call us heroes, but to me its just another working day

Thanks u for ur service to our hell masters

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Guavanaut posted:

Are we talking

or

?

First one :black101:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

You'd have to be G7/6 to be earring 50k+, which aint easily attainable. Stop chatting poo poo

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My dad never earned as much as £50k a year and he ran entire departments and got sent abroad and poo poo. .

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
what does (an average) civil servant actually do?

I'm not massively ambitious or materialistic so maybe one day earning £50k in a job you can't get sacked at doesn't actually sound like a terrible deal, but i don't really fancy paperwork in an office for the rest of my life

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

XMNN posted:

I'm not massively ambitious or materialistic so maybe one day earning £50k in a job you can't get sacked at doesn't actually sound like a terrible deal, but i don't really fancy paperwork in an office for the rest of my life

They don't earn 50k.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
well no, they earn £26k (if average means median) but they get up in the morning, they get on the bus, they turn up at work and then...?

they must do something all day

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

XMNN posted:

well no, they earn £26k (if average means median) but they get up in the morning, they get on the bus, they turn up at work and then...?

Deny benefits for about half the posters in this thread, from the sound of it.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Some of them leak poo poo about Amber Rudd and get her sacked.

I mean there's only so many times you can do that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

XMNN posted:

Paperwork and office admin.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
G7 is 50k in most depts: https://www.civilservicejobs.servic...jAyOWFkZDgzZjli

Higher Executive Officer is 30k and you get put on a pathway to get G7 in four years max: https://www.civilservicejobs.servic...mU0MjM2MjQwOGUz

XMNN posted:

Welcome aboard! Become a policy adviser to start and work your way up (I assume you have a Humanities degree)

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
nah i did chemistry

think I'm going to quit my job try and find an environmental chemistry one that involves field work

I'm literally impervious to lovely weather which seems like the only downside of working outside

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I finally found a shop that stocks a lot of proper Mexican ingredients like dried ancho chilis and made a proper chili con carne tonight with them. My mind is blown.

It's an unironic :discourse:

Breath Ray posted:

Welcome aboard! Become a policy adviser to start and work your way up (I assume you have a Humanities degree)

You can be like.

(That should be discouraging enough)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

XMNN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epWZ5KW1aLM

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Junior G-man posted:

I finally found a shop that stocks a lot of proper Mexican ingredients like dried ancho chilis and made a proper chili con carne tonight with them. My mind is blown.

It's an unironic :discourse:

https://www.seasonedpioneers.com

These guys do excellent and varied spices.

Their smoked garlic goes amazingly well in anything that isn't a dessert.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya guys. Going to be doing some driving this coming weekend, got three of my home friends 30th birthdays coming up and we are having a bash up north. I said I'd drive and I am a bit nervous. I have driven this year but I am not looking forward to going through the blackheath tunnel at about 4.30 on a Friday evening, even if I am heading north.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Josef bugman posted:

Heya guys. Going to be doing some driving this coming weekend, got three of my home friends 30th birthdays coming up and we are having a bash up north. I said I'd drive and I am a bit nervous. I have driven this year but I am not looking forward to going through the blackheath tunnel at about 4.30 on a Friday evening, even if I am heading north.

Sounds like a fun weekend! :)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Breath Ray posted:

Higher Executive Officer is 30k and you get put on a pathway to get G7 in four years max: https://www.civilservicejobs.servic...mU0MjM2MjQwOGUz

30k in central London isn't exactly riches, correct me if I'm wrong.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Josef bugman posted:

dunno what London's like but driving on a motorway in really heavy traffic is never very stressful (as long as you don't let the wankers cutting in and out of lanes wind you up)

having people in the car is also a massive bonus for me, at least I don't feel like I'm talking to myself when I start swearing at people

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

http://www.semgonline.com/structures/struct_64.html TBH that does seem a bit intimdating to drive a car through...

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

XMNN posted:

Presumably the same poo poo as all the other office drones, though it's my personal belief that the civil service only hires soulless automatons with impeccable phone manner.

If anyone's had a recent experience that can refute this I'd be happy to hear it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

goddamnedtwisto posted:

http://www.semgonline.com/structures/struct_64.html TBH that does seem a bit intimdating to drive a car through...

depends whether there's a train coming or not

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just remember that there's four lights instead of three and you'll be fine.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's going to have heavy skeleton presence.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Presumably the same poo poo as all the other office drones, though it's my personal belief that the civil service only hires soulless automatons with impeccable phone manner.

If anyone's had a recent experience that can refute this I'd be happy to hear it.

I can - the fuckers never even answer the phone any more.

Mind you I can't remember the last time I actually dealt with an honest-to-goodness civil servant, as most of the ones I deal with are employed by the big consultancy firms and contracted back to HMG at massively higher hourly rates (which of course they don't get).

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Hi UKMT. I had a bit of an accident with my front door key:

Have tried to pull it out with tweezers but I can't get enough purchase (also considered needle-nose pliers but I don't know if there are any here)

Is there any alternative for a DIY novice that doesn't require paying a locksmith to come out and sort it?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

suck it out

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Looke posted:

suck it out

His mum might be busy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

feedmegin posted:

30k in central London isn't exactly riches, correct me if I'm wrong.

It's really not, because of higher rents and living costs in general, but especially rents, they're nuts.

• Locked thread