Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Julio Cruz posted:

Is there any alternative for a DIY novice that doesn't require paying a locksmith to come out and sort it?

Strong magnet or living outdoors for the rest of your life.

Edit: 5, the highest of numbers.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

Hi UKMT. I had a bit of an accident with my front door key:

Have tried to pull it out with tweezers but I can't get enough purchase (also considered needle-nose pliers but I don't know if there are any here)

Is there any alternative for a DIY novice that doesn't require paying a locksmith to come out and sort it?

Is the door open? If so you can take the lock cylinder out and then you should be able to push the broken key out from the back with a paper clip.

e: Follow the first few steps of this guide to disassemble it: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/changinglockbarrel.htm, also while you have it open put a bit of grease or oil on it to stop this happening again.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 1, 2018

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

Have tried to pull it out with tweezers but I can't get enough purchase (also considered needle-nose pliers but I don't know if there are any here)

throw a brick or other heavy projectile through the nearest window, and go into your undersink cupboard to get some WD40 and pliers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Lady Demelza posted:

Strong magnet or living outdoors for the rest of your life.

Luckily I've got a back door key so I don't have to camp in the garden, but I'm catsitting and I'd rather not leave it for the actual owners to sort out if possible.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

Luckily I've got a back door key so I don't have to camp in the garden, but I'm catsitting and I'd rather not leave it for the actual owners to sort out if possible.
oh that's easy, say the cats did it

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
sledgehammer

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
fireaxe

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Julio Cruz posted:

Do you have access to the other side? You can push it out with a nail or a piece of chicken wire if so. Otherwise, kinda difficult, but you could shimmy it out with a safety pin slightly bent at the last 2-3 millimeters.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
actual fire

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

What you want is a carbide drill bit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Kick the door in and say they got burgled

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

As you posted this between my post and my edit I'll repeat it here just in case you missed it:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/changinglockbarrel.htm - follow the first few steps here to get the barrel out then just push the broken key out with a paperclip from the other side.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Josef bugman posted:

Heya guys. Going to be doing some driving this coming weekend, got three of my home friends 30th birthdays coming up and we are having a bash up north. I said I'd drive and I am a bit nervous. I have driven this year but I am not looking forward to going through the blackheath tunnel at about 4.30 on a Friday evening, even if I am heading north.

You're sounding healthier every day. It's good to see.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
For the record the inside of the lock looks like this:

I was considering unscrewing the two screws and seeing what happens but I don't want it disintegrating into pieces leaving me with no idea how to put it back together.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

For the record the inside of the lock looks like this:

I was considering unscrewing the two screws and seeing what happens but I don't want it disintegrating into pieces leaving me with no idea how to put it back together.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As you posted this between my post and my edit I'll repeat it here just in case you missed it:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/changinglockbarrel.htm - follow the first few steps here to get the barrel out then just push the broken key out with a paperclip from the other side.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I've unscrewed the screws and the lock box is loose but is still being held on by a rivet (?) on the right hand side, you can see it in the first picture.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I've unscrewed the screws and the lock box is loose but is still being held on by a rivet (?) on the right hand side, you can see it in the first picture.

That's a pin, you should be able to lever it out with a flat screwdriver or even a pair of scissors.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Julio Cruz posted:

Ooh it's like an adventure game.

> Use hammer on lock

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

WhatEvil posted:

Ooh it's like an adventure game.

> Use hammer on lock

Go east.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

> Pet the cat

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Josef bugman posted:

Heya guys. Going to be doing some driving this coming weekend, got three of my home friends 30th birthdays coming up and we are having a bash up north. I said I'd drive and I am a bit nervous. I have driven this year but I am not looking forward to going through the blackheath tunnel at about 4.30 on a Friday evening, even if I am heading north.

If your friends don't drive then you're already a magician for being able to make the metal box go. Motorway driving as others have said is easy but dull, having company makes that bit easier.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Looke posted:

> Pet the cat

Feedmegin sits down and sings about gin

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I just drove into my town center and got lost twice because every bit of road has its own loving layout and lane rules.

I hate driving in town, really would rather take the bus.

Godspeed you brave soul.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
> FORD RIVER

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Get skeleton finger from skeleton tunnel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qyYg_bfrlw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a hell of a loving URL shortening. Was wondering what the gently caress you were suggesting for a moment.

I mean yes you can invalidate most locks with a bullet-powered nail driver as youtube has clearly shown to me but I don't think it would improve the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wimo09WV-rY&t=230s

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 1, 2018

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
^^^ Yeah "...glockbarrel" got me too.

Literally laughed out loud at this pathetic excuse for a so-called "festival".
I would go if you paid me but it'd cost an awful lot.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Looke posted:

> Pet the cat

> The cat purss for a moment, then walks away while showing you its rear end in a top hat. It doesn't help you further.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 1, 2018

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
>call it a good kitty

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

I just drove into my town center and got lost twice because every bit of road has its own loving layout and lane rules.

I hate driving in town, really would rather take the bus.

Godspeed you brave soul.

I had to hastily reverse back up a tram line in Bordeaux with a smirking french tram man about 6 feet in front of me the whole time. Cars and city centres aren't the best combination. Chuck in a moron and its a disaster waiting to happen.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

feedmegin posted:

30k in central London isn't exactly riches, correct me if I'm wrong.

Read the rest of my post for a cool surprise ;)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Success!

Cheers Twisto.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I had to hastily reverse back up a tram line in Bordeaux with a smirking french tram man about 6 feet in front of me the whole time. Cars and city centres aren't the best combination. Chuck in a moron and its a disaster waiting to happen.

It's quite navigable but every junction has a different lane you need to be in to go in each direction, bus lanes start and stop at random, and the traffic planners like to keep terminating lanes and merging them together every now and then just to slow the traffic down.

Which makes it very hard to drive around if you don't have the layout memorized.

I almost went backwards down a one way because the junction, for some odd reason, requires you to take the second exit to go right, but if you want to get back out of the same junction, you have to turn into the left fork which is bus lane only the other direction,then hook sharp right at the end.

Like it works fine but it's not an easily communicable layout and like every bloody junction it's completely unique.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 1, 2018

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Julio Cruz posted:

Success!

Cheers Twisto.

You've scratched their table up something chronic though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Looke posted:

> Pet the cat

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

Success!

Cheers Twisto.

:tipshat:

That'll be £99 please.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

You've scratched their table up something chronic though.

Now that's something I can plausibly blame the cats for.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Looke posted:

> Pet the cat

Junior G-man posted:

> The cat purss for a moment, then walks away while showing you its rear end in a top hat. It doesn't help you further.

Uncanny, while you were posting this, it happened to me with one of my neighbour cats that was chilling out on my garden wall when i went out for a fag.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Uncanny, while you were posting this, it happened to me with one of my neighbour cats that was chilling out on my garden wall when i went out for a fag.

Do you own your own home and go outside for a cigarette? Do you think you would have done 10-15 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you own your own home and go outside for a cigarette? Do you think you would have done 10-15 years ago?

I do it as a way to cut down the amount I smoke, but it is nice not having to literally scrub surfaces down now.

• Locked thread