Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I mean, that helmet and curiass could in theory probably stop some of the artillery shrapnel that likely killed half of them. The everything else though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm guessing a horserider is a big target that's really hard to miss with machine guns.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

By popular demand posted:

I'm guessing a horserider is a big target that's really hard to miss with machine guns.

Also, they’re going to get very slow as soon as they hit the barbed wire.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zopotantor posted:

Also, they’re going to get very slow as soon as they hit the barbed wire.

The horse gets stuck in the wire, the rider acts as a human fletchette, hitting the enemy trenches sabre first.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Plus they had to dig the trenches twice as deep.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The aftermath of a kamikaze pilot trying to sink HMS Sussex in the Indian Ocean in 1945:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sussex to be them

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alhazred posted:

The aftermath of a kamikaze pilot trying to sink HMS Sussex in the Indian Ocean in 1945:

RIP Wile E. Coyote-san.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

quote:

Portrait of a young Soviet prisoner of war in a steel breastplate SN-42, made of 2mm steel (.08″) and weighing 3.5 kg (7.7 lbs), captured by Finnish troops during the Finnish-Soviet Continuation War. A testament to the breastplate’s effectiveness, the young soldier had been shot three times in the chest and left unharmed. Image taken near Syskyjärvi, Karelia, Finland (now, Syuskyuyarvi, Republic of Karelia, Russia), July 15, 1944.

http://www.tankarchives.ca/2013/10/soviet-infantry-protection.html

quote:

CAMD RF 81-12040-109

In 1942, according to the orders from the GAU of the Red Army, the Scientific-Investigative Institute #13 of the USSR NKV, developed a steel breastplate 3.3 kg in mass, 2 mm thick, that protects the main organs of the human body against German submachineguns at all distances, and rifles and machineguns at 300 meters.
According to GOKO order #2160ss from August 8th, 1942, the steel breastplates were sent to the army, and received positive reviews. The reviews mention the following:

The steel breastplates provide reliable protection from German submachineguns, as well as fragments of mines and hand grenades.
The maneuverability of soldiers with breastplates is almost unimpaired.
Aside from providing protection for the soldier, the breastplate also increases the soldier's morale when performing his duties.

The technical documentation on the steel breastplate was accepted by the GAU of the Red Army on August 7th, 1942, after which the breastplate was mass produced at factory #700 (city of Lysva). At this time, 85,000 breastplates have been produced, distributed as follows:

South-Western Front: 5,000
Stalingrad Front: 3,000
Leningrad Front: 1,000
Volhov Front: 1,000
Don Front: 5,000

70,000 units remain at the warehouse.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Really interesting that they had the shooter's cut on those.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I mean they gotta. Those old bolt actions kick like a sumbitch, and would be skipping straight off some curved steel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Wasabi the J posted:

I mean they gotta. Those old bolt actions kick like a sumbitch, and would be skipping straight off some curved steel.

Breastplates were given to specialized Assault Engineers and deminers. I don't think that many of the breastplate users were rocking M1891/30s or M44s. They were mostly issued submachine guns. The unit also had lots of other special Assault Engineering equipment like bangalores, various explosives, lots of grenades, flamethrowers, etc, but I doubt they made the guy wearing the armor carry a bunch of other poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zudgemud posted:

I mean, that helmet and curiass could in theory probably stop some of the artillery shrapnel that likely killed half of them. The everything else though...

The cuirasse is just for show, the bullets are halted in their flight by sheer cran

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Children playing in the street, New York 1905.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's one tired looking horse.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's one tired looking kid with a stick

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Whatever that kid is gonna do with the horse with that stick, it won't accomplish much.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Negostrike posted:

Whatever that kid is gonna do with the horse with that stick, it won't accomplish much.

"The first GBS Post." Autochrome, 1905

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Negostrike posted:

posted like someone who's never poked a dead horse with a stick

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
If it's been lying there for a while and you poke it with a sharp enough stick, something will definitely be accomplished

(cf. beached whale autopsy)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

jeebus bob posted:

If it's been lying there for a while and you poke it with a sharp enough stick, something will definitely be accomplished

(cf. beached whale autopsy)

That horse looks the complete opposite of bloated tbh.

I wonder if the city had horse corpse removers or if the invisible hand of the free market scooped them up for dog food and glue.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Wasnt all the dead horses and horseshit on the streets one of the reasons the automobile was invented?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Molentik posted:

Wasnt all the dead horses and horseshit on the streets one of the reasons the automobile was invented?

"I can beat that!"

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I enjoyed this colorized video of the Wuppertal aerial railway from 1902. It's such a weird contrast between the sleepy small town and the crazily over-engineered sky tram trundling over it.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Inferior posted:

I enjoyed this colorized video of the Wuppertal aerial railway from 1902. It's such a weird contrast between the sleepy small town and the crazily over-engineered sky tram trundling over it.

I enjoy the video too, but calling what would have been back then the Empire's ninth-largest city a "sleepy small town" sounds kinda funny :v:

Related fun fact: As seen in the video, the railway runs for the most part above the Wupper river with only a small part of the track following streets. Said part was and apparently still is colloquially known as the "curtain rod track", because the people there were for the most part pious Protestants and insisted that the railway company gifted them curtains so that no overly curious passenger would be able to peep their wives' ankles or other risque stuff :stalker:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Molentik posted:

New York isn't in Germany tho?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pictures of immigrants at Ellis Island:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Gonna guess all but maybe the first are from the Ottoman Empire.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My guess would be that only the last one is from the Ottoman Empire.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phlegmish posted:

My guess would be that only the last one is from the Ottoman Empire.

Depends on when the photos were taken. I'm assuming they're from when the Ottomans still controlled most of the Balkans and the Middle East.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Gonna guess all but maybe the first are from the Ottoman Empire.

Only two from the Ottoman Empire and only kinda. The first is a guadeloupean immigrant, then a romanian shepherd (Romania was part of the Ottoman Empire but the photograph is from 1906 which was after Romania gained independence from the Ottoman Empire), the third one is a cossack, the fourth is only identified as "Hindoo Boy", the fifth is from Algeria (but again, after it gained independence from the Ottoman Empire) and the last one is a ruthenian immigrant.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah. Fifth looks like he's probably Tuareg, judging from the attire and skin tone. I don't think the Ottomans ever had firm control over them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alhazred posted:

Only two from the Ottoman Empire and only kinda. The first is a guadeloupean immigrant, then a romanian shepherd (Romania was part of the Ottoman Empire but the photograph is from 1906 which was after Romania gained independence from the Ottoman Empire), the third one is a cossack, the fourth is only identified as "Hindoo Boy", the fifth is from Algeria (but again, after it gained independence from the Ottoman Empire) and the last one is a ruthenian immigrant.

Ah, see I thought the second photo could've been a Cossack and the third was from somewhere in Yugoslavia.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Cossacks/Russians had been battling (and pushing back) the Ottomans for about two centuries at that point. The Porte probably didn't have very many of them as subjects then, but who knows.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Alhazred posted:

What country are you coming from?
Georgia.
Where will you be going?
Rome, Georgia.
You're a bit overdressed for there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ah, see I thought the second photo could've been a Cossack and the third was from somewhere in Yugoslavia.

Why would a Yugoslavian move to America wearing a stereotypical Cossack costume?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Unkempt posted:

That horse looks the complete opposite of bloated tbh.

I wonder if the city had horse corpse removers or if the invisible hand of the free market scooped them up for dog food and glue.

That was the job of the Knackers who'd render what they could. But as you can imagine, they probably weren't in a rush at the prospect of new business, so dead animals tended to hang around for a while. Working animals just tended to do their job until they dropped dead, so this was all a massive problem until cars came along.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Alhazred posted:

These are awesome

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Agree, they are amazing photographs.They capture a single moment in time where all these loose ends of the human weave become part of a single quilt.

That's the kind of poo poo that makes the Statue of Liberty cry a single tear (of joy). This is America.

and that is the first positive patriotic thought I have had in a very long time. oof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

System Metternich posted:

I enjoy the video too, but calling what would have been back then the Empire's ninth-largest city a "sleepy small town" sounds kinda funny :v:

Related fun fact: As seen in the video, the railway runs for the most part above the Wupper river with only a small part of the track following streets. Said part was and apparently still is colloquially known as the "curtain rod track", because the people there were for the most part pious Protestants and insisted that the railway company gifted them curtains so that no overly curious passenger would be able to peep their wives' ankles or other risque stuff :stalker:

The implication is that catholics would flash their ankles at just any old passersby