Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

That's another excellent post in this thread, thank you very much!

This thread might not be the fastest but wow what content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Two photos out of a small series from pictures of recent German history I found especially striking:

Children in West Berlin playing wall-building while the real Berlin wall is built only a few blocks away (1961)

A young Syrian girl that just arrived in Germany gets to play in the snow for the first time (2015)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Only 100 years ago in Europe, during the Finnish Civil War both the Whites and Reds conscripted children to bolster their numbers in a low-density low-population country. They were usually tasked with messenger and ammo runner roles, and because of that strategic importance, shot on sight. Even after they had surrendered.

The person in this picture is 13 years old, and suffered fatal wounds in the Battle of Tampere in 1918 when he was 14 years old. There are more gruesome pictures in the historical archives also available online, but since I am not a loving sociopath, I will not link them here.

Get this straight and get it right; war is hell and there are no winners.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Backweb posted:

What's the deal with the samurai costume dude? looks like he went to the wrong party.

What on earth looks like a samurai costume in this pic

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

What on earth looks like a samurai costume in this pic

The guy standing in the back center. He has something white on his head with a darker Circle... Looks kind of like a Samurai helmet with the Japanese rising sun. C'mon, you blind?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He looks like a clown! So much so that he's probably your great great great grandfather!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah that's some kind of Pierrot getup, cf. below.

Vintage Edwardian Photographic Postcard Showing Three People Dressed Up in Theatrical Costumes. Soldier, Policeman and Pierrot
https://www.alamy.com/vintage-edwar...e243181478.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah that's some kind of Pierrot getup, cf. below.

Vintage Edwardian Photographic Postcard Showing Three People Dressed Up in Theatrical Costumes. Soldier, Policeman and Pierrot
https://www.alamy.com/vintage-edwar...e243181478.html

That one's dressed up as a pizza slice tho.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Backweb posted:

The guy standing in the back center. He has something white on his head with a darker Circle... Looks kind of like a Samurai helmet with the Japanese rising sun. C'mon, you blind?

Have you never seen a clown?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Loomer posted:

Have you never seen a clown?

He never logs off, never turns off his monitor.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

I'm just disappointed it's not a samurai costume. :colbert:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ah well there's still the guy near bottom of page 1

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Der Kyhe posted:

Only 100 years ago in Europe, during the Finnish Civil War both the Whites and Reds conscripted children to bolster their numbers in a low-density low-population country. They were usually tasked with messenger and ammo runner roles, and because of that strategic importance, shot on sight. Even after they had surrendered.

The person in this picture is 13 years old, and suffered fatal wounds in the Battle of Tampere in 1918 when he was 14 years old. There are more gruesome pictures in the historical archives also available online, but since I am not a loving sociopath, I will not link them here.

Get this straight and get it right; war is hell and there are no winners.

Jesus.

I know civil wars are always particularly nasty, but how the gently caress does a country recover from a time when your conscript children were murdered by people you might well have to live next door to. That's how generational blood feuds begin.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Apparently Vladimir Putin was a princess in Zanzibar.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

да queen!!!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'll dream this figure dancing seductively to Ra Ra Rasputin while Syrians are being bombed in the background won't I?
:stonkhat:

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Milo and POTUS posted:

He looks like a clown! So much so that he's probably your great great great grandfather!

great great great granddad gay, so what

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The Imperial and Royal War Press was a division of the Austro-Hungarian army command established at the beginning of World War I in 1914 and coordinated the Empire's propaganda effort for the entire duration of the war. Hundreds of the country's best painters, photographers, movie makers and authors were employed in order to portray the imperial forces in the best possible light, amongst them names like Robert Musil, Egon Erwin Kisch, Rainer Maria Rilke, Hugo von Hofmannsthal, Stefan Zweig and Alfred Kubin.

The War Press' photo collection, encompassing 118 volumes altogether, were digitised some years ago and can be accessed here. Let's take a short and somewhat random look through the collection, shall we?

An Italian airplane after being forced to land (1917). In the background the pilgrimage church of Maria Gail in Carinthia

A douser and some Austrian soldiers (1916)

Some R&R with a bottle of Chianti (1917)

This one's simply titled "Fallen Italians" (1917)

A Catholic priest bringing the Eucharist to the sick (no date)

Children's party at the episcopal palace in Vienna (1916)

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Jun 4, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I liked it better when the priest was drinking too.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pookah posted:

Jesus.

I know civil wars are always particularly nasty, but how the gently caress does a country recover from a time when your conscript children were murdered by people you might well have to live next door to. That's how generational blood feuds begin.

As it turns out, being invaded by the Soviet Union who tried to kill everyone and failing that, send the rest to the Siberia.

And then immediately fight them again trying to get back the territory that was forcibly annexed, because the rest of the Western powers decided to look away and do jack poo poo.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

As it turns out, being invaded by the Soviet Union who tried to kill everyone and failing that, send the rest to the Siberia.

And then immediately fight them again trying to get back the territory that was forcibly annexed, because the rest of the Western powers decided to look away and do jack poo poo.

The hottest take.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Zudgemud posted:

The hottest take.

Wait, how is this a hot take?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

organburner posted:

Wait, how is this a hot take?

Because the Soviet Union was not out to kill everyone and send the remaining ones to Siberia. Nor did the western powers have any reason to give aid to a minor nation that had well developed military and governmental ties to Germany, and that was attacked by the Soviet Union, another great power of dubious intention who just recently made a non aggression pact with Germany. The western powers (aside from the US) was at the time very busy getting stomped by Germany, and had no interest in making another immidiate enemy in the Soviet Union, just for the sake of uselessly trying to support a poor breakaway state in an unreinforcable territory that until a mere 20 years earlier was part of the Russian Empire (albeit as an "independent" buffer state).

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

Because the Soviet Union was not out to kill everyone and send the remaining ones to Siberia.

Except for all the times they did.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

C.M. Kruger posted:

Except for all the times they did.

So which countries were subjected to this "kill everyone, and failing that, send the rest to Siberia" treatment by the Soviet Union? Give the names and numbers to back it up.

It sure wasn't the approach taken for the other Baltic countries which were occupied by the Soviet Union after the Molotov Ribbentrop pact. They were occupied and any leadership and intelligentsia etc were shipped off to Siberia, where of course many died because it's Siberia and the Soviet Union gave few shits about anyone sent there. However, the great majority of the population stayed and was repressed locally. A heavy handed occupation with the explicit long term intention to erase the countries as national entities sure, but it was not a kill everyone genocide.

It's not like Finland made the wrong decision to resist a likely brutal Soviet occupation, but to ascribe the motivation of the Soviets to kill everyone, that's just BS.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Zudgemud posted:

So which countries were subjected to this "kill everyone, and failing that, send the rest to Siberia" treatment by the Soviet Union? Give the names and numbers to back it up.

It sure wasn't the approach taken for the other Baltic countries which were occupied by the Soviet Union after the Molotov Ribbentrop pact. They were occupied and any leadership and intelligentsia etc were shipped off to Siberia, where of course many died because it's Siberia and the Soviet Union gave few shits about anyone sent there. However, the great majority of the population stayed and was repressed locally. A heavy handed occupation with the explicit long term intention to erase the countries as national entities sure, but it was not a kill everyone genocide.

It's not like Finland made the wrong decision to resist a likely brutal Soviet occupation, but to ascribe the motivation of the Soviets to kill everyone, that's just BS.

So because I used a common war-time hyperbole which was used to unify the county to rally them against common woe to answer to a question, you just needed to drop by and white knight Soviet Union and the Josef "Fuckin" Stalin?

How is it in Moscow, does Putin pay well?

Edit: Because death squads, as used by SU in northern parts of the country where they were able to slip past the front lines, and heavy handed occupation with the intent of erasing national entity and all dissidents sure does not sound like genocide.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Jun 10, 2019

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Der Kyhe posted:

So because I used a common war-time hyperbole which was used to unify the county to rally them against common woe to answer to a question, you just needed to drop by and white knight Soviet Union and the Josef "Fuckin" Stalin?

Edit: Because death squads, as used by SU in northern parts of the country where they were able to slip past the front lines, and heavy handed occupation with the intent of erasing national entity and all dissidents sure does not sound like genocide.

Sorry, I'm gonna need an Exact figure of how many people they were planning on killing, can't be inaccurate on these here forums!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

stfu

Here's a photo of jazz fans from Copenhagen, early sixties. The central couple is Ray Pitts & Grethe Kemp (married sometime not long after his arrival here in 1962), he a saxophonist & she a singer. I'm the guy to the right looking smug as hell.

https://kbhbilleder.dk/kbh-museum/120991

Ray later became the bandleader of the Danish National Big Band (then New Radio Dance Orchestra), he died one day before receiving the Leo Mathisen prize. Grethe later became a succesful childrens' book writer.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

I'm not white knighting, I'm :fishmech:ing about your dumb ahistorical hyperbole. I mean there are a lot of ways you can poo poo on the Soviet Union you don't need to make things up.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite historical photos

It's not because it's an old or special photo or anything. It's the motif, the denisova cave, which is a cave that have been inhabited by at least three modern hominins, Neanderthals, Modern humans and the namesakes the Denisovans. All of them have lived in the cave at one point during the last 50 000 years, and all have seen the more or less the exact same cave entrance as you can see in the picture. And it's very likely that at least one of the individuals that have occupied it during the past is a direct ancestor of yours.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Zudgemud posted:

I mean there are a lot of ways you can poo poo on the Soviet Union you don't need to make things up.

Actually the Soviet Union no longer exists so it's physically impossible to poo poo on any of their territory, let alone the Soviet Union itself, as an abstract concept. Please be more careful about your choice of words on these, the Very Awful forums. Sincerely, a huge fuckin' loser

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Krankenstyle posted:

stfu

Here's a photo of jazz fans from Copenhagen, early sixties. The central couple is Ray Pitts & Grethe Kemp (married sometime not long after his arrival here in 1962), he a saxophonist & she a singer. I'm the guy to the right looking smug as hell.

https://kbhbilleder.dk/kbh-museum/120991

Ray later became the bandleader of the Danish National Big Band (then New Radio Dance Orchestra), he died one day before receiving the Leo Mathisen prize. Grethe later became a succesful childrens' book writer.

That's obviously Reese Witherspoon. Fake history.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

Soviet deported a shitload of people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_transfer_in_the_Soviet_Union

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

They sure did, and very often in a very racist manner too, so any group that didn't neatly conform to white/european peasants got shafted extra hard. When they occupied Estonia after Molotov Ribbentrop they sent away 1/5th of all Estonians on trains to Siberia as they were part of "troublesome" social classes, occupations or organisation (soldiers, student leaders, politicians, journalists etc). In total 1/3 of the population was directly affected by repression (deportations, arrests, executions, asset seizures etc). I would still not consider that a kill everyone and deport the rest to Siberia motivation, because their goal was to occupy and forcefully convert the society to a totalitarian soviet state.

Really, why this whole thing started was because someone posted a bad take on the motivation of the Soviet Union for invading Finland, an even worse take on how the western allies somehow were to blame and me being unable to not scratch that :fishmech:posting itch when seeing that bad history.

Also, more historical pictures. As I really like cave art here is proof that someone 30 000 years ago made better posts than me.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LingcodKilla posted:

That's obviously Reese Witherspoon. Fake history.

Her and Keanu aren't going to have to sword fight to a decapitation strike are they? :ohdear:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

They sure did, and very often in a very racist manner too, so any group that didn't neatly conform to white/european peasants got shafted extra hard. When they occupied Estonia after Molotov Ribbentrop they sent away 1/5th of all Estonians on trains to Siberia as they were part of "troublesome" social classes, occupations or organisation (soldiers, student leaders, politicians, journalists etc). In total 1/3 of the population was directly affected by repression (deportations, arrests, executions, asset seizures etc). I would still not consider that a kill everyone and deport the rest to Siberia motivation, because their goal was to occupy and forcefully convert the society to a totalitarian soviet state.

The death toll was in the millions, I call that a deport the ones you don't kill policy.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

The death toll was in the millions, I call that a deport the ones you don't kill policy.

So you agree that when Finland was invaded the Soviet Union tried to kill everyone and failing that, send the rest to the Siberia? Because that's a ludicrous statement considering the large majority of people that did not die or get deported, either in Finland (3,5 million pre war pop) nor in the other annexed territory or soviet state (170 million pre war pop).

Also, more cave art. This time hands. Hands painted like this are frequently found in cave paintings from France to borneo during a time span of tens of thousands of years, which is really amazing in terms of spread and lasting cultural significance of this specific imagery. Obviously they had the skill to paint other human depictions that was not stylized depictions, but tagging your artwork with presumably your own hand is by far the most common "realistic" human imagery in ancient cave paintings. Also, a very high amount of these hands are missing parts of their fingers, which have prompted speculation of everything from common frostbite damage, artistic license, religious significance and widespread ruital self amputation.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

to the gulags with all of you, none of you are free of conterrevolutionary thought

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Finland is just a part of Russia where the Whites won.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

So you agree that when Finland was invaded the Soviet Union tried to kill everyone and failing that, send the rest to the Siberia?

I didn't really talk about Finland but countries like Crimea where its hard to not argue that the end goal was not eradication so that russians could move in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

FreudianSlippers posted:

Finland is just a part of Russia where the Whites won.

America is a part of Russia?