Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's an interesting story, one of our traditional stereotypes about the (Protestant) Netherlands is that they don't have curtains, as they are morally upright God-fearing people with nothing to hide. But then those are Calvinists, to them German Lutherans probably don't even count as proper Protestants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Whenever I see the phrase protestant work ethic I'm like :confused: (Finland is about 97% protestant. Now you may look it up and see that only 68% of Finns are members of the church but the thing is atheists count as Lutherans. There's no discernable difference. It's not as if most of the people who are members of the church believe in religion or god, or go to church.)

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Pictures of immigrants at Ellis Island:

Sir, I understood you brought it with you from Constantinople, but security shouldn’t have let you board with sharp objects. You’re going to have to check it in for your onwards leg.

Can you mail it to someone? There’s a post office here in the terminal.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's racist and you must be some sort of Know-Nothing for disrespecting his culture

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
What are those tubes on his chest for? They look like cigar tubes but that's a lot of cigars.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Big Dick Cheney posted:

What are those tubes on his chest for? They look like cigar tubes but that's a lot of cigars.

Cartridges.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jesus christ the man was smuggling printer ink and not very well from the looks of it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Printers back then were much too heavy for a single man to carry, but he's carrying cartridges to his long-distance girlfriend in the US

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The haunting eyes of a 21 year old "child murderess" from a photo album of prisoners from Christianshavn Penitentiary (women's prison), divided into sections per type of crime. The creepy presentation of the album makes me think of phrenologists & eugenicists.
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=20412013#308303,63240689

The 120/04 refers to page 120 in the protocol for 1904 that describes her case. I'd translate it but it's sad and terrible.
https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/billedviser?epid=21691148#443623,81266406

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Aug 21, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Probably more knives.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Whenever I see the phrase protestant work ethic I'm like :confused: (Finland is about 97% protestant. Now you may look it up and see that only 68% of Finns are members of the church but the thing is atheists count as Lutherans. There's no discernable difference. It's not as if most of the people who are members of the church believe in religion or god, or go to church.)

Funny thing about the guy who (admiringly) coined that phrase. He suffered a massive emotional/nervous breakdown and couldn't work for 5 years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

Probably more knives.

He's not a Finn tho

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Samovar posted:

Funny thing about the guy who (admiringly) coined that phrase. He suffered a massive emotional/nervous breakdown and couldn't work for 5 years.

Weber? I think the concept actually makes sense, the problem is just that most laymen take that phrase literally and assign value judgment to it, like if I convert to Protestantism tomorrow I will automatically start working harder, unlike those lazy non-Protestants. That's not what it means. The point is more that theological precepts can gradually influence a nation's more general culture, and indeed, after enough time has passed it doesn't really matter at all whether the people affected by it are still religious or not. It's already been fully internalized.
In fact, the Reformation had a huge impact on Catholic Europe as well, beyond the obvious, and you could argue that the 'Protestant work ethic' applies to significant parts of it - it just took a long time for that cultural change to spread and seep through.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It might be referring to pietism and similar movements. I live in an area of Germany which was heavily influenced by it in the past; not so much today, but the mindset is still there.

quote:

Ned gschompfa is gnug globd.
tr: If I don’t complain, that should be praise enough.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Berlin art academy 1909.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alhazred posted:

Berlin art academy 1909.

I absolutely understand what's going on in this image and yet I still can't stop thinking of it as a photoshop meme before photoshop existed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

did that dude ever do croquis modelling? wanna see how far down that sidepart goes

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t get how the guy on the right is painting a side view from the front

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Big Dick Cheney posted:

It looks like those are pre-measured powder charges for a muzzle-loading firearm. I'll shop that pic around and ask though.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now I need this for chillin around the house

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333700234679

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I bought a uniform off some east bloc ship in the early 90s, only got to wear it for a single occassion before i got too tall tho :(

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I once bought an east German belt because the emblem looks like a sextant and therefore would be a funny thing for a surveyor to wear. The drat thing never worked, the hooks wouldn't stay done no matter how I tweaked them. Leave it to the army to make even a simple item like a belt into a source of contant worry for some poor dumb squaddie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

I once bought an east German belt because the emblem looks like a sextant and therefore would be a funny thing for a surveyor to wear. The drat thing never worked, the hooks wouldn't stay done no matter how I tweaked them. Leave it to the army to make even a simple item like a belt into a source of contant worry for some poor dumb squaddie.

You know what they say about the Russian arse-warbler.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This thread would be a lot better if it had some photos from before the 1800's

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jaguars! posted:

I once bought an east German belt because the emblem looks like a sextant

The hammer and compass one?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ich bin Sextante

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This thread would be a lot better if it had some photos from before the 1800's
Post some and you may win more renown than you know :v:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah that's the one, it's a pretty superficial resemblance but it's not like you need much reason to buy a $10 belt.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Don't even acknowledge the actual source of the item. Nobody needs to know it's not actually a sextant, or where the belt came from.

It's your black belt in surveying, the highest rank attainable.

*folds up tripod in a real cool way, as if doing a trick with a giant butterfly knife*

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

lol, you can sort of do that. Pack up the tripod, raise it to sholder level, flick it into the ground and the points will dig in, letting you pack up your other stuff without having to bend down to grab the tripod at the end. The only time this has ever not worked for me was when I was doing my diploma, I was next to a picnic table full of girls from the X ray tech building and of course it bounced off the ground and fell over making me look like an idiot.

Anyway, I don't have any pre 1800s photographs lying around in the attic but here's what it looks like to have a fuckup enshrined in the historical record:

North point drawn the wrong way, H.J. Scott, Licensed Surveyor, land claim plan near Auckland, 1865.

More marginalia, 1926

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jaguars! posted:

Anyway, I don't have any pre 1800s photographs lying around in the attic but here's what it looks like to have a fuckup enshrined in the historical record:

North point drawn the wrong way, H.J. Scott, Licensed Surveyor, land claim plan near Auckland, 1865.

More marginalia, 1926

since you found those, do you know where I could find anything drawn by my ancestor James McBrien, the first person to find gold in Australia?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ich bin Sextante

Hey there :treemike:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Jaguars! posted:

More marginalia, 1926

32169'!

nice

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Snowy posted:

since you found those, do you know where I could find anything drawn by my ancestor James McBrien, the first person to find gold in Australia?
Well I can't just find a bunch because I don't have access to the land records of Australia, you'd have to deal with a local surveyor, solicitor or achivist probably although you might be lucky since they're so old they might be archived publicly somewhere.

There's a bit much to it to go into detail here, You'd need to gather as much information as possible on his movement dates and locations to find it in a land system as they aren't usually indexed by draughter. You may or may not be familiar with this biography that would be a good place to start. For example, to find any plans resulting from his fish river discovery you'd probably end up seaching plans in the area and then using cross-references such as the :yosnice: one alluded to above to go older and older until you get the original records. Also search his name on gazette notices from Trove.govt.au and you'll find some notices of land claims. I did an effort post based on my own family research in the genealogy thread.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jaguars! posted:

Well I can't just find a bunch because I don't have access to the land records of Australia, you'd have to deal with a local surveyor, solicitor or achivist probably although you might be lucky since they're so old they might be archived publicly somewhere.

There's a bit much to it to go into detail here, You'd need to gather as much information as possible on his movement dates and locations to find it in a land system as they aren't usually indexed by draughter. You may or may not be familiar with this biography that would be a good place to start. For example, to find any plans resulting from his fish river discovery you'd probably end up seaching plans in the area and then using cross-references such as the :yosnice: one alluded to above to go older and older until you get the original records. Also search his name on gazette notices from Trove.govt.au and you'll find some notices of land claims. I did an effort post based on my own family research in the genealogy thread.

Wow I thought it might be a longshot to ask you but that’s very helpful, thank you very much!! I’ll definitely check out that effortpost, I’ve never look at the genealogy thread before.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nessus posted:

I'm going to get a custom dinner plate made with a photo on it of somebody dressed up to look like Francis Drake and bury it in my yard.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

The lost Instagram account of Leonardo da Vinci.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/Jamie_Woodward_/status/1307037056619761665

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

His Majesty King Frederik VIII visiting his subjects in Iceland in 1907.

Since the horse and the flowers were deemed to be not majestic enough they were "retouched". Old Fred himself looks a bit retouched as well.

here's a better quality bigger version on the royal Danish libraries site:
http://www5.kb.dk/images/billed/2010/okt/billeder/object399663/da/