Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Hilde Benjamin died in 1989.

Holy poo poo, what an awful person. Please tell me she lived long enough to see the wall come down, bonus points if that's what killed her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fader Movitz posted:

I find it amusing that every so often, about every 40-50 years the German state collapse and the government big shots run for South America. At this rate Germany should fall into chaos around 2035 and it will be Merkel and Schäubles turn to sail for South America.

Also they all get pensions from the successor German state no matter how lovely they were

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Brits, Brits never change

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Has an army ever looked so ill-prepared for modern warfare? This astounding (original colour) photo from 2023 shows the entire 69th regiment of the Flemish army at their camp northeast of Bokrijk, only a year before they joined the insanity of the First Galactic War.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My guess would be that only the last one is from the Ottoman Empire.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah. Fifth looks like he's probably Tuareg, judging from the attire and skin tone. I don't think the Ottomans ever had firm control over them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Cossacks/Russians had been battling (and pushing back) the Ottomans for about two centuries at that point. The Porte probably didn't have very many of them as subjects then, but who knows.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's an interesting story, one of our traditional stereotypes about the (Protestant) Netherlands is that they don't have curtains, as they are morally upright God-fearing people with nothing to hide. But then those are Calvinists, to them German Lutherans probably don't even count as proper Protestants.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's racist and you must be some sort of Know-Nothing for disrespecting his culture

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Printers back then were much too heavy for a single man to carry, but he's carrying cartridges to his long-distance girlfriend in the US

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Samovar posted:

Funny thing about the guy who (admiringly) coined that phrase. He suffered a massive emotional/nervous breakdown and couldn't work for 5 years.

Weber? I think the concept actually makes sense, the problem is just that most laymen take that phrase literally and assign value judgment to it, like if I convert to Protestantism tomorrow I will automatically start working harder, unlike those lazy non-Protestants. That's not what it means. The point is more that theological precepts can gradually influence a nation's more general culture, and indeed, after enough time has passed it doesn't really matter at all whether the people affected by it are still religious or not. It's already been fully internalized.
In fact, the Reformation had a huge impact on Catholic Europe as well, beyond the obvious, and you could argue that the 'Protestant work ethic' applies to significant parts of it - it just took a long time for that cultural change to spread and seep through.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Dabbling in the dark farts

lol

Mostly unrelated, but sometimes I think about the Norse Greenlandic settlers, and what it must have been like to be the last one of them alive.

We complain about global warming, but they would have been all over it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks! That looks interesting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Congrats on your thesis! Are you graduating soon?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CleverHans posted:

Sure wouldn't want to be one of those suckers a hundred years in the future having to deal with all those coal emissions, hahahahwait a minute...

I liked the part about the 'dull foreigner'

Dude it's 1912, America ain't poo poo, wait a few more decades before going all rah rah xenophobic

e: and bragging about your brains, hmm no spoilers but I don't think that will age well

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Oct 23, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah sounds more like the UK and Belgium (Wallonia).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't have it in me to get angry at this murdered royal couple from over a century ago. I'll furrow my brow at Franz's relatives, though. Oh, she's not noble enough for you? gently caress these inbred Habsturds, I'm surprised they made it to the 20th century

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The main thing separating us from that era is the fact that child mortality rates are now only a fraction of what they were then, and they didn't really start dropping (and only in the West) until the second half of the nineteenth century, when modern medicine as we know it came about. However, once people had made it past infancy they could reasonably expect to become at least 60-70 years old. Life expectancy at age 5 hasn't changed that much, less still if you only count healthy years.

I'm not sure how people dealt with that emotionally. I assume that infant death was accepted as a part of life, while still being devastating, and maybe they would be all the more thankful for the children that did grow up. It's also a question of how class plays into it. Among the nobility and higher bourgeoisie, children were seen as tools to create new alliances and safeguard the family wealth (while the general population in the West hadn't engaged in arranged marriages since the tribal era), and it was proper etiquette to present yourself as being emotionally distant. On the other hand, they obviously weren't being ground down by the daily struggle for survival, and can be assumed to have had more emotional room and availability for that reason.

Either way, it's a good painting, both technically (I can see some influence from the Flemish Masters) and in terms of subject matter. That's a great sentiment, regardless of gender, and regardless of class. I thumb my nose at the emotionally stunted people who criticize her for daring to smile, whether it's 18th-century aristocrats or de Beauvoir.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drat, six people on guitar, awesome brass section, must have been a great ska band

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Germanic Anglo-Saxons partly Frenchified by Frenchified Germanic Normans who had themselves received their lands from a previously Frenchified Germanic nobility

Dark Age Europeans:

GERMANCEPTION

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zeniel posted:

I mean there was a film of an elephant being killed.

Surely that must have been considered hosed up even by the standards of the time. At that point you already had animal protection societies cropping up left and right in most Western countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh, so the elephant had basically been convicted of murder. Still questionable to apply human concepts of justice to an animal, but I understand it a little more now. Gross that they turned it into a spectacle, though.