Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Walsh Brothers, First undisputed powered flight in NZ, 1911. The Brothers ran a flight school until the 1920s, supplying about 100 pilots to the RFC in WWI.

In NZ they are completely obscure because of a Timaru farmer named Richard Pearse who possibly flew prior to the Wright Brothers in 1903, although by his own admission never managed more than uncontrolled hops.

Jaguars! has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

From an Imgur thing that caught my eye:

"Cambridge undergraduates, 1926"

I have never been as fashionable as this, I can tell because I'm not embarrassed by the clothes I'm wearing in old photographs.

Same source:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Plus they had to dig the trenches twice as deep.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Unkempt posted:

That horse looks the complete opposite of bloated tbh.

I wonder if the city had horse corpse removers or if the invisible hand of the free market scooped them up for dog food and glue.

That was the job of the Knackers who'd render what they could. But as you can imagine, they probably weren't in a rush at the prospect of new business, so dead animals tended to hang around for a while. Working animals just tended to do their job until they dropped dead, so this was all a massive problem until cars came along.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I once bought an east German belt because the emblem looks like a sextant and therefore would be a funny thing for a surveyor to wear. The drat thing never worked, the hooks wouldn't stay done no matter how I tweaked them. Leave it to the army to make even a simple item like a belt into a source of contant worry for some poor dumb squaddie.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah that's the one, it's a pretty superficial resemblance but it's not like you need much reason to buy a $10 belt.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

lol, you can sort of do that. Pack up the tripod, raise it to sholder level, flick it into the ground and the points will dig in, letting you pack up your other stuff without having to bend down to grab the tripod at the end. The only time this has ever not worked for me was when I was doing my diploma, I was next to a picnic table full of girls from the X ray tech building and of course it bounced off the ground and fell over making me look like an idiot.

Anyway, I don't have any pre 1800s photographs lying around in the attic but here's what it looks like to have a fuckup enshrined in the historical record:

North point drawn the wrong way, H.J. Scott, Licensed Surveyor, land claim plan near Auckland, 1865.

More marginalia, 1926

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Snowy posted:

since you found those, do you know where I could find anything drawn by my ancestor James McBrien, the first person to find gold in Australia?
Well I can't just find a bunch because I don't have access to the land records of Australia, you'd have to deal with a local surveyor, solicitor or achivist probably although you might be lucky since they're so old they might be archived publicly somewhere.

There's a bit much to it to go into detail here, You'd need to gather as much information as possible on his movement dates and locations to find it in a land system as they aren't usually indexed by draughter. You may or may not be familiar with this biography that would be a good place to start. For example, to find any plans resulting from his fish river discovery you'd probably end up seaching plans in the area and then using cross-references such as the :yosnice: one alluded to above to go older and older until you get the original records. Also search his name on gazette notices from Trove.govt.au and you'll find some notices of land claims. I did an effort post based on my own family research in the genealogy thread.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Wilbur Wright crashing an early glider.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Also, use beard oil to soften the itchy hairs during the first weeks.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Apologies for Huge.

Mental hospital near South Auckland, 1972. (Open new window for full res)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Kingseat. I was working in the area and was curious about the nearby staff settlement so I looked up the aerials on retrolens. There's about 10 high detail ones of the hospital grounds that must have been ordered specially.