Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Khazar-khum posted:

At the time, photography of the dead was done to make a 'last look' possible. Thanatos.com has an excellent selection, though be forewarned: the majority are of young children, dead from the same diseases anti-vaxxers want to return.

Exhuming a body for a ritual of some kind was not unknown. People were exhumed to be executed, like Cromwell. If you were considered holy, you might be exhumed to see if you were an Incorruptable--ie, perfectly preserved--and thus eligible for sainthood.

Inez de Castro, wife of King Pedro of Portugal, was exhumed so she could be crowned. She had been murdered, which set off a terrible war; once peace was restored, the victorious Pedro ordered her to be dressed as queen and placed on her throne. All members of the court had to bow and kiss the ring on her hand.

The bishop looks like the accused Pope in the painting of the Cadaver Synod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Olympic champion weightlifter Vasily Alexeev, who set 80 World records in competition, which was a Guiness record at the time for the most World records set.

I think I remember this guy from the '72 olympics. :corsair:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

That reminds me of one of my favorite underground jokes from the 3rd Reich.

quote:

A German cake needs to be brown like Hitler, fat like Goering, puffed up like Goebbels and crumbly ("mürbe") like the German people.
"mürbe" also has the metaphorical meaning of being tired and fed up with something

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Don’t gently caress with Battle-Messenger-Pigeon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cher_Ami

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

By popular demand posted:

I'm guessing a horserider is a big target that's really hard to miss with machine guns.

Also, they’re going to get very slow as soon as they hit the barbed wire.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Whenever I see the phrase protestant work ethic I'm like :confused: (Finland is about 97% protestant. Now you may look it up and see that only 68% of Finns are members of the church but the thing is atheists count as Lutherans. There's no discernable difference. It's not as if most of the people who are members of the church believe in religion or god, or go to church.)

It might be referring to pietism and similar movements. I live in an area of Germany which was heavily influenced by it in the past; not so much today, but the mindset is still there.

quote:

Ned gschompfa is gnug globd.
tr: If I don’t complain, that should be praise enough.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Jaguars! posted:

I once bought an east German belt because the emblem looks like a sextant

The hammer and compass one?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

"1½00. 4tom søm @ 100 2 [mark] er ... [3 mark]"

this is a pretty wild way to write out numbers lol

makes sense though: 150 four inch nails, costing 2 mark per 100, for a total of 3 mark

"One and a half hundred" might seem weird, until you look up what "a hundred" used to mean.

Tractatus de Ponderibus et Mensuris posted:

Also a hundred of wax, sugar, pepper, cumin, almonds & alum, contains 13 stones & a half & each stone contains 8 pounds for a total of 108 pounds in the hundred.
[...]
Also hundred of Canvass, and linen cloth consists of one hundred Ells and each hundred consists of 120. But the hundred of iron and shillings consists of 100.
[...]
A Hundred of [Garlike] consisteth of fifteen Ropes, and every Rope containeth fifteen Heads. Also a Hundred of Mulvells and Hard Fish consists of 160.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Personally I think the Great War just absolutely ruled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2F5qaHzkj0

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Falukorv posted:

Yeah that probably is the towns best claim to fame. Few things are more iconically Swedish than the red paint that decorate many of its wooden houses. Produced, still today, from iron oxides present in the slag produced from copper extraction. Plenty of slag heaps all over the municipality but will eventually run out of slag in an estimated 80 years or so. The mine itself was closed in 1992 and only the red paint production remains. Closed for operations that is, it is a world heritage site and open to visitors with guided tours of the shafts.

I can highly recommend the tour. It's amazing to see (and walk through) giant caves that were created by humans, using nothing but brawn and fire-setting.
who am I kidding, as if tourism was ever going to be a thing again

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

That reminds me of one of the early candidates on the German game show "Wetten Dass" (better known for the time somebody broke their spine on live TV). He bet that he could recognize colors on a B/W TV and failed abysmally.

As he explained he had noticed that he could recognize different colors on his home computer, a Sinclair Spectrum, although he had it hooked to a B/W set. Yeah, no poo poo, even I could distinguish those 15 colors (8 RGB combinations at two levels of brightness, except bright black was still black). They were probably chosen carefully exactly so they all had different luminance.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Workers in Orsa, Sweden making grindstones:

Every farm in sweden used to have a grindstone for the scythes and other tools. In a swedish novel about people emigrating to america, one elderly man totes a grindstone along with him because his son who had gone before said good grindstones where nowhere to be found in the new world.

Full process (in German):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtNLEYQnFRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ett lång fordon med många låga fordon på sig.

No, these are not Fordons, they are Volkswagons.