Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I don't have any problem with writers or artists charging for an autograph, especially older ones who don't have a lot of new stuff coming out.

Like, how does Claremont make money at this point? He probably gets some sort of residuals from some of his work, but it can't be a lot and it's not like he's publishing anything new.

Claremont still gets freelance work sometimes, plus I think he'd have gotten a bit of money from X men movies, since Days from Future Past was his creation, and he also created a LOT of X men characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel doesn't pay royalties I think?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Marvel doesn't pay royalties I think?

They do but it's really lovely royalty levels. The contracts might have changed since the 80's but Len Wein famously got more money for how Swamp Thing has been licensed than Wolverine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure Len Wein said he got more money from Lucius Fox's appearances in the Dark Knight movies than he ever did off Wolverine.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I read a write-up on Steve Ditko once that said one of his art-studio neighbors accidentally got his mail once and opened it. It was a check from a movie studio with "a lot of 0s" on it. Of course that was presumably Sony and not Marvel directly. But it seems like Marvel is more a "pay whatever we feel like" attitude when it comes to the actual creators and DC seems to be doing a bit better in that regard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC has a better system but they also try to avoid it when they can, like Killer Frost on Flash not counting because the Caitlin Snow variation is derivative and not the original.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I read a while ago that a lot of Marvel's late-70s output in particular suffered from having this third generation of writers and artists being reluctant to introduce anything new because they wouldn't have a stake in it (the only big name I can think of who fairly consistently did was Len Wein) and didn't start doing so again until Shooter introduced a royalty system when he became EiC.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

DC has a better system but they also try to avoid it when they can, like Killer Frost on Flash not counting because the Caitlin Snow variation is derivative and not the original.

I assume that also explains Curtis Holt as Mr. Terrific on Arrow instead of Michael Holt, and Jefferson "Jax" Jackson as half of Firestorm instead of Jason Rusch, who was a throwaway character who appeared briefly in one episode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't believe Judge Dredd and Robocop have yet to team up. It's such a natural crossover that when I tell people they've never teamed up, everyone's pretty sure they actually did until they look it up.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe Judge Dredd and Robocop have yet to team up. It's such a natural crossover that when I tell people they've never teamed up, everyone's pretty sure they actually did until they look it up.

::Mind blown smiley::

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I am trying to figure out how it would work. It would need to be ultra-violent, but I would like it if it was a buddy-cop story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

I am trying to figure out how it would work. It would need to be ultra-violent, but I would like it if it was a buddy-cop story.

It's a crossover story. They fight, then team up, then possibly fight again (since it's Dredd).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was doing my annual re-read of From Hell and was wondering, does anyone actually read Appendix 1? I always try but there's just so much of it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

It's a crossover story. They fight, then team up, then possibly fight again (since it's Dredd).

I will accept it if the fight is them trying to arrest (or kill) one another first.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

muscles like this! posted:

I was doing my annual re-read of From Hell and was wondering, does anyone actually read Appendix 1? I always try but there's just so much of it.

I loved it but it's extremely my poo poo.

New Frontier's annotations are also great.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

When I re-read From Hell, I definitely do it, but not in one go. I flip back and forth to reference it. That appendix is extremely good for appreciating just how much detail is packed into the book.

Admittedly the roughest part to get through is the magical London tour which comes early on and Moore is at his most longwinded for the annotations there. I've never been certain if Moore just doesn't really understand math so he doesn't get how mundane his magical geometry actually is or if he's just screwing with people. I guess there's a lot of "Does Moore really think this or is he just screwing with people" questions out there...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I read the appendix after i finish a chapter but i also dont read it once a year so i have usually forgotten what was in the appendix when i do pick it up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The hacking scene in Watchmen is the funniest thing ever.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Welp. Nothing to make a guy feel old like a bunch of posts of comics from when people were born and literally half of them you remember buying new.

Anyway, this was from my month; did those Lee and Kirby fellows ever make a go of it?

And, because these were the first comics I ever binged through:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What was it like riding dinosaurs to work

I bet it was cool

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

probably a lot of stuff I don't recognize as being important, but this jumped out at me, squeezing in on the last day of my birth month

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

he should get a doctor to check out those lumps

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

site posted:

What was it like riding dinosaurs to work

I bet it was cool

It's weird to realize that the first comics I read were a lot closer in time to Action #1 than to the present. And Marvel was still the scrappy upstart company.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Skwirl posted:

I don't have any problem with writers or artists charging for an autograph, especially older ones who don't have a lot of new stuff coming out.

Like, how does Claremont make money at this point? He probably gets some sort of residuals from some of his work, but it can't be a lot and it's not like he's publishing anything new.

I'm pretty certain it's a combination of royalties, (as Random Stranger said Marvel's royalties program isn't all that great but his books are perennial sellers and are adapted into movies, tv shows and video games enough that it's probably ok money) appearances (dude is constantly doing cons, and he does talks, workshops and sometimes teaches classes about comics and writing) and charging for signatures. I'm fine with Claremont charging for signatures as well, otherwise people would bring gigantic stacks of X-Men 137s that are totally not for ebaying

notthegoatseguy posted:

I read a write-up on Steve Ditko once that said one of his art-studio neighbors accidentally got his mail once and opened it. It was a check from a movie studio with "a lot of 0s" on it. Of course that was presumably Sony and not Marvel directly. But it seems like Marvel is more a "pay whatever we feel like" attitude when it comes to the actual creators and DC seems to be doing a bit better in that regard.

Yeah that was a settlement for the rights issues he brought up when Spider-Man 1 came out.

From what I've read the DC system is only as relatively robust as it is because of Paul Levitz, who is also the only reason DC didn't do Watchmen 2 until now.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 6, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one weird thing I heard about Levitz is that he blocked attempts to collect his own run on Legion of Super-Heroes (other than the original Great Darkness Saga tpb) so he would be able to justify not collecting any of the 90s era Legion, because he didn't like Olivier Coipel's art on that series.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I've never been certain if Moore just doesn't really understand math so he doesn't get how mundane his magical geometry actually is or if he's just screwing with people. I guess there's a lot of "Does Moore really think this or is he just screwing with people" questions out there...

I’m going to guess “doesn’t really understand math”. He had to do a quick rewrite of the Floronic Man story in Swamp Thing after Steve Bissette informed him that plants consume carbon dioxide, not oxygen. Originally he had everybody on the planet suffocating when the plants grew instead of getting high.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one weird thing I heard about Levitz is that he blocked attempts to collect his own run on Legion of Super-Heroes (other than the original Great Darkness Saga tpb) so he would be able to justify not collecting any of the 90s era Legion, because he didn't like Olivier Coipel's art on that series.

That's why we don't have a bunch of big Legion omnibuses? Jeeeeeez.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's why we don't have a bunch of big Legion omnibuses? Jeeeeeez.

Apparently so. For a very long time the only dedicated line of collections were the Showcase and Archive editions and I'm pretty sure they stopped just before Levitz started writing the book.

Recently, they've started doing "deluxe edition" hardcovers which collect his run on "Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes" before Keith Giffen joined (I think it's mostly Mike Grell doing the art at this stage? Not entirely sure).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They've just put out a 'Silver Age' volume, starting from the start.

I dunno if many people are interested in the old, old stuff, but check that neato Doc Shaner cover!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 6, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, they've started doing a lot of those, and before that, there were DC Archives and DC Showcases collecting Silver Age Legion stuff up to the late 70s. It's a lot of stuff post 1979 that was barely getting collected while Levtiz was publisher.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Only thing worthwhile from my birth month is an issue of Frank Miller's Daredevil. #185.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

I looked up November, 1984 and found Amazing Spider-Man #258, which is actually pretty notable for a few reasons, mainly because it's the issue where:
    1. Peter finds out his suit is a symbiote.
    2. The suit starts showing signs of being evil, as it takes him web-swinging against his will while he's asleep.
    3. The debut of of The Bombastic Bag-Man

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 6, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My birth month, April '83, had "PROFESSOR XAVIER IS A JERK" in Uncanny X Men 168, and Hobgoblins first fight with Spider-Man in Amazing Spider-Man #239.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1037388496103763968?s=19

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Black Bolt the movie

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Chip Zdarsky auctioning off original art to help a family friend.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/153169392132

I thought Canada had proper healthcare instead of the bullshit shambles that is American healthcare.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I am very new to collecting, but graded books appeal to me immensely for some reason.

I just bought my first two!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Skwirl posted:

I thought Canada had proper healthcare instead of the bullshit shambles that is American healthcare.

It’s one of those things where you can get away with being pretty bad if you’re being compared to a raging dumpster fire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

There's nothing conservatives can't wreck if people vote for them enough times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr. Maltose posted:

It’s one of those things where you can get away with being pretty bad if you’re being compared to a raging dumpster fire.

I still thought it was better than needing family friends to auction off original work in order to get chemotherapy.

Honestly, GoFundMe might be the largest healthcare provider in the world. I don't think they pictured that when they first started the company.

• Locked thread