Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Generally our healthcare provides a lot but there are some blind spots with stuff like medication/prescription care etc. It isn't completely free but heavily subsidized so you still might have to pay, but a lot less than what you would pay in the states. I am not to sure what the costs with chemo and such is, but a buddy of mine had his heart stop working and had to have major surgery done to....well keep him alive, and I think in the end his hospital bill was something like 43 dollars.

Also this:

Lurdiak posted:

There's nothing conservatives can't wreck if people vote for them enough times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

There’s also the cost of missing work, transportation and other things healthcare doesn’t cover when we’re talking about cancer. Even if chemo was 100% free they still would need some extra cash.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edmund Lava posted:

There’s also the cost of missing work, transportation and other things healthcare doesn’t cover when we’re talking about cancer. Even if chemo was 100% free they still would need some extra cash.

If you go check the GoFundMe, it's this.

quote:

Giving 7-year-old Noelle the support she needs for a fighting chance against this terrible stage 4 cancer requires her family to be at her side. Anthony has had to cut his work hours to the bare minimum, and there is no insurance coverage for missed work hours. Jennie was already off work caring for a very ill mother. This leaves them in a dire financial situation.

Family and friends are coming together to help Jennie and Anthony, so that they can concentrate on being at Noelle's side. They need help with lost wages and all the costs associated with a major medical emergency.
They're not paying for medical bills (necessarily), they're paying for food and shelter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The fundraising is for the family who had to leave their jobs to be with her and another sick relative. The treatment is covered.

Edit: Beaten on the new page.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Even if work isn’t a problem, even if the medical treatments aren’t a problem, there’s lots of small stuff that can add up to a big bill at a time when you can’t really deal with financial stress on top of everything else. Hospital parking can be a real cost if you’re going there every single day.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah that goal isn't even close to covering treatment either. The only way they'd be paying out of pocket is if the treatment was weird or not covered, and 25k wouldn't even touch a months worth for most of those.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/bigredrobot/status/1037805975481147393?s=19

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
It looked like nothing of significance came out in comics in June '91 for a good while. And then I found this gem at the bottom of the list.

Published within just a few days of my birthday, to boot. I'm almost exactly as old as X-Force.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 7, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DavidUzumeri/status/1038058355271577600?s=19

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He needs to update quickly.
https://twitter.com/MitchGerads/status/1037813587010453505

edit: I like that Daffy Duck/Mister Miracle is hidden until you click in.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So just read the first 3 issues of the new volume of Project Superpowers, and holy poo poo is it awful in just about every way worth mentioning, the art is bad, the writing is horrid*, and it makes a bunch of really bad retcons in relation to the original series

I'll admit this has me kinda pissed off, because I really liked the original series, as it's what introduced me to the various non DC or Marvel superheroes of the Golden Age

*to give an example of this they keep making really lovely terrorism jokes in relation to Black Terror's name

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are the best recent uses of various non-DC/Marvel Golden Age heroes?

Wasn't there a King Features Syndicate crossover a few years ago where the Phantom teamed up with Flash Gordon? That might have been interesting. Of course it would have to be the original version of Flash Gordon from the 30s who, instead of being a football star, was captain of his university's polo team. :D

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jeff Parker, Doc Shaner and Jordie Bellaire's Flash Gordon run before that is fantastic.

There was a Fantomah miniseries last year. I don't remember a thing about the one issue I tried.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 8, 2018

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
August of 1985 gave us Black Mask 1st Appearance and THIS spider man story:

Among other things.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Going by cover date, December 1991 has this:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lets have a look at what EVS is up to these days.
https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1038120270920384513

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So how much do those cost? Maybe $15 each? He says he bought "a crate". That sounds like at least 10 figures. Why spend $150 on something just to destroy them? If you don't like something, don't waste your money on it. "Yeah, I just gave Disney a load of money to show them how much I hate them! I sure showed them, lol!"

I mean, if I didn't already know who Ethan Van Sciver was, I would have looked at that tweet and assumed he was making fun of right-wing internet crackpots.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Am I supposed to be triggered by a grown man spending a lot of money on a children's toy so he can destroy it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't there a King Features Syndicate crossover a few years ago where the Phantom teamed up with Flash Gordon? That might have been interesting. Of course it would have to be the original version of Flash Gordon from the 30s who, instead of being a football star, was captain of his university's polo team. :D

Well the original Project Superpowers run was pretty decent, and Masks was also pretty good

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Disney: "lol who da gently caress cares? We ain't ever hiring you again and your dumb jabroni rear end just gave us $150, bozo. Hope you didn't need that cash to poo poo out your crappy frog book! Not like you ever gonna finish it. You were better off shoving Nazi imagery into X-Books, fucko."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Disney morphed from The Rock into Chris Jericho there.

Edit: Also those metal Star Wars figures are Disney exclusives, so not only is his whole plan to buy Disney merch dumb enough but he bought from one source they actually own.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 9, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I really liked when Alan Moore used a bunch of them back when writing Tom Strong. He did a story where heroes from the past traveled to an alternate Earth called Terra Obscura and were defeated/trapped there.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

So how much do those cost? Maybe $15 each? He says he bought "a crate". That sounds like at least 10 figures. Why spend $150 on something just to destroy them? If you don't like something, don't waste your money on it. "Yeah, I just gave Disney a load of money to show them how much I hate them! I sure showed them, lol!"

I mean, if I didn't already know who Ethan Van Sciver was, I would have looked at that tweet and assumed he was making fun of right-wing internet crackpots.

They're $30 bucks a pop.

At least the Phasma one I bought was.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/crossover_osaka/status/1038617449086648326

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

They're $30 bucks a pop.

At least the Phasma one I bought was.

Haha, so there's a very good chance that Van Sciver has given as much as $500 to Disney to SHOW THEM! SHOW THEM ALL!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha, so there's a very good chance that Van Sciver has given as much as $500 to Disney to SHOW THEM! SHOW THEM ALL!

It also means he has a crate of Rose metal dolls from The Last Jedi that he can't do anything with. They're practically indestructible, no one's going to take him back, and the market for re-selling action figures died in the mid-90s so they're not going to sell for anything.

I guess he could put them in bad poses or leave them in dogshit or do something stupid like that but he still gave them $500 to do that. At that point you're helping more than you're hurting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Buying Rose/Rey/Laura Dern toys just to destroy them is par for course for Star Wars fans in 2018 so he's not even making some specific point. :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why spend $150 on something just to destroy them?

Well Disney did spend 4B on Star Wars just to destroy it :roflolmao:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Principal Hellmann posted:

August of 1985 gave us Black Mask 1st Appearance and THIS spider man story:

Among other things.

And "For the Man Who Has Everything", and the first appearance of the Anti Monitor.

My friend got me a poster of most of the Aug '85 comic covers, and that's what started this conversation in the last thread.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What was the actual in story explanation for One More Day? Like what was the reason Spidey had for everyone forgetting his identity that wasn't devil did it

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
After Aunt May got shot (I think?) Spidey had decided he didn't want his identity being public, so he got Richards and Strange to team up to create a technomagical mindwipe--IIRC, Strange's spell would be carried across the world by nanomachines. Reed helped because he felt guilty about being complicit in Peter outing himself. I don't remember why Strange decided it was ok. At the last minute of the spell being cast, Peter had second thoughts about mindwiping MJ and very quickly rushed to grab her and take her into his protective bubble so that she wouldn't forget. Comics, am I right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They never really gave a good non-devil explanation for why he was no longer married, though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did they retcon the devil doing it? So now it's that dumb spell thing instead of Spider-Man making a deal with satan?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Did they retcon the devil doing it? So now it's that dumb spell thing instead of Spider-Man making a deal with satan?

I think that's just the in universe explanation given to the people who now know who Spider-Man is, not a retcon.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, that was how it was from the start; as I recall, Quesada made it clear from the get-go that the mindwipe was a separate thing that would be revealed later. The devil's involvement was strictly just undoing the marriage, by virtue of making a slight change in the past which caused MJ to have second thoughts. The spell is responsible for the mindwipe and has always been responsible for the mindwipe.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

I think that's just the in universe explanation given to the people who now know who Spider-Man is, not a retcon.

but if the devil did it through magic, why does it need an explanation? Like, he magically undid the event from history, or else it doesn't make any sense. Spider-Man unmasked on national television there's videotape and pictures of it all over the world. So Satan goes in and through magic makes it never have happened, and all the evidence never existed. Right? Why does there need to be an in-universe explanation?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

They never really gave a good non-devil explanation for why he was no longer married, though.

"They didn't get married"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Argue posted:

No, that was how it was from the start; as I recall, Quesada made it clear from the get-go that the mindwipe was a separate thing that would be revealed later. The devil's involvement was strictly just undoing the marriage, by virtue of making a slight change in the past which caused MJ to have second thoughts. The spell is responsible for the mindwipe and has always been responsible for the mindwipe.

But everyone forgetting who he was was part of the deal! That doesn't make any sense!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Argue posted:

no that doesn't make sense. Wasn't the whole thing that Parker blamed himself for getting May shot by exposing his identity? So, being a superhero, he decided to make a deal with Satan so he wouldn't feel guilty anymore. The past has to be changed, it can't just be a mindwipe, because what Peter wanted was for himself to have not done the thing he thought led to May getting shot. If it's just a mindwipe then the guy who shot May still knew who Spider-Man was in the past and still shot May because of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

but if the devil did it through magic, why does it need an explanation? Like, he magically undid the event from history, or else it doesn't make any sense. Spider-Man unmasked on national television there's videotape and pictures of it all over the world. So Satan goes in and through magic makes it never have happened, and all the evidence never existed. Right? Why does there need to be an in-universe explanation?

Because everyone in charge realized too late that having your flagship character make a deal with the devil for something none of the readers wanted was a bad look.

It isn't fully retconned, though, because there's been references to it here and there, notably in Spider-man & Deadpool where Mephisto flat out told Spider-man his life would never be complete and it's because of him. Spider-man didn't remember their deal but he knew in his heart it was true and it messed with his head.

• Locked thread