Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
All the evidence was corrupted by the spell somehow (a statue of Spider-man unmasked had its face worn down despite statues of the FF erected at the same time and place having perfectly molded features, for example), and to add to that, the spell had an additional clause (which wore off after Spider-Island) which made it so that you literally wouldn't be able to figure it out unless he told you; you could have all the evidence in front of you and you'd come up with a really stupid conclusion.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

But everyone forgetting who he was was part of the deal! That doesn't make any sense!

You're right, I refreshed myself on this and the part that confused everyone was Harry coming back to life. That's what happened separately.

But in any case the devil apparently did his work by going back in time and instigating events so that everything still makes sense (lol) without his involvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Because everyone in charge realized too late that having your flagship character make a deal with the devil for something none of the readers wanted was a bad look.

It isn't fully retconned, though, because there's been references to it here and there, notably in Spider-man & Deadpool where Mephisto flat out told Spider-man his life would never be complete and it's because of him. Spider-man didn't remember their deal but he knew in his heart it was true and it messed with his head.

But you can't retcon it into a mindwipe! If it was just a mindwipe there would still be tons of videos and pictures of Spider-man unmasking himself! It has to be magic time change!

Argue posted:

All the evidence was corrupted by the spell somehow (a statue of Spider-man unmasked had its face worn down despite statues of the FF erected at the same time and place having perfectly molded features), and to add to that, the spell had an additional clause (which wore off after Spider-Island) which made it so that you literally wouldn't be able to figure it out unless he told you; you could have all the evidence in front of you and you'd come up with a really stupid conclusion.

But then why don't they do that spell for every superhero with a secret identity?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lurdiak posted:

Because everyone in charge realized too late that having your flagship character make a deal with the devil for something none of the readers wanted was a bad look.

It isn't fully retconned, though, because there's been references to it here and there, notably in Spider-man & Deadpool where Mephisto flat out told Spider-man his life would never be complete and it's because of him. Spider-man didn't remember their deal but he knew in his heart it was true and it messed with his head.

The first thing that's gonna happen when Joe Quesda loses influence on Marvel is going to be a story called "No More Days" where the entire event is undone so Spider-Man never made that deal, is married again, and has a kid. Basically, what Rebirth did to Superman.

I feel confident in saying this. Yes, Joe Quesda doesn't work at Marvel as EIC, but it's been hinted at in interviews that he is still part of the reason they don't redo the marriage.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

But then why don't they do that spell for every superhero with a secret identity?

I could probably answer that and we could keep going but it's honestly turtles all the way down and the only real answer you should need is "comics".

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Argue posted:

I could probably answer that and we could keep going but it's honestly turtles all the way down and the only real answer you should need is "comics".

If Reed and Strange have that kind of ability, couldn't they solve a lot of problems with it? Like, literally end Hydra immediately by just banishing thought of it from everyone's mind? All the Hydra agents suddenly see themselves in the uniforms and are like, "Why am I wearing this? Oh, it must be a sex thing, this gives me a boner"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Covok posted:

The first thing that's gonna happen when Joe Quesda loses influence on Marvel is going to be a story called "No More Days" where the entire event is undone so Spider-Man never made that deal, is married again, and has a kid. Basically, what Rebirth did to Superman.

I feel confident in saying this. Yes, Joe Quesda doesn't work at Marvel as EIC, but it's been hinted at in interviews that he is still part of the reason they don't redo the marriage.

I think the only reason he even took the job as EIC was so he could eventually undo the marriage, that poo poo's like his white whale.

I don't know about having a kid, but MJ and Peter are definitely gonna re-marry the minute he's out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like, I know I'm going into "Why doesn't Iceman just solve every problem immediately by____" territory, and that's always obnoxious, but jesus christ.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is as good an excuse as any to bring up that the initial proposed conclusion to the Clone Saga was going to be that both Ben Reilly and Peter Parker were the original, but one of them had been sent back in time with his memory wiped by Mephisto. This suggestion was nixed by the editor in chief and sent back with a note saying that tying such an important event in a street level hero's life to a cosmic character like Mephisto would be wildly inappropriate and feel like cheating to the fans.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Guy Goodbody posted:

If Reed and Strange have that kind of ability, couldn't they solve a lot of problems with it? Like, literally end Hydra immediately by just banishing thought of it from everyone's mind? All the Hydra agents suddenly see themselves in the uniforms and are like, "Why am I wearing this? Oh, it must be a sex thing, this gives me a boner"

something something ethics something something

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

something something ethics something something

What was the in-universe justification for Reed and Strange mindwiping everyone? If It's not actually undoing the past, then it doesn't save May, so why did Parker ask them to do it, and why did they agree?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Just read One Moment In Time (ASM 638 according to Wikipedia) it's all in there. Or don't because it was not good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I think the only reason he even took the job as EIC was so he could eventually undo the marriage, that poo poo's like his white whale.

I think that was one of his big objectives alongside "making mutants a minority again" (culminating in House of M) and (for a while) "no more crossovers".

Similarly, Dan Didio used to claim that he wanted to be the top man at DC so he could bring back the "real" Flash and Green Lantern, i.e. Barry and Hal, and "recapture the spirit of the Silver Age".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

This is as good an excuse as any to bring up that the initial proposed conclusion to the Clone Saga was going to be that both Ben Reilly and Peter Parker were the original, but one of them had been sent back in time with his memory wiped by Mephisto. This suggestion was nixed by the editor in chief and sent back with a note saying that tying such an important event in a street level hero's life to a cosmic character like Mephisto would be wildly inappropriate and feel like cheating to the fans.

That sounds awesome though

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know about having a kid, but MJ and Peter are definitely gonna re-marry the minute he's out.

I can see them doing a kid thing because it's such an easy thing to do. If you undo the undo, then they've been married all this time. That makes it super easy to say "oh, they had a kid and we get to skip the boring baby stuff." Arguably, Spider-Man with a baby is actually not boring when you consider his responsibility ethos, but comic writers never think like that. Comic writers think "oh, I can't write something interesting about a man married to a supportive, super-model wife: she is the problem, not my lack of ability, and I must systemically destroy her!" But comic writers also think "oh, having a little kid around is great as its a gateway for kids to get into the book." See: Kitty Pryde, Jubilee, etc. So, if they go the full-on "the deal is undone and now they've been married all this time" route, then I think they'll have a kid.

Also, it still amazes me that the marriage was Joe Quededa's white whale. The guy is literally hated by every comic fan for it, even fans who don't like Spider-man. And all we got out of it was Charlie Cooper and Brand New Day. Everything else could have and would have been doable and better with a married Spider-Man.

I care a lot about comic spider-man's marriage.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The smart thing to do would be to bring back the marriage and a kid, have Spiderman in his early thirties still being regular Spider-Man, oh but what's this, his ten year old daughter May has spider powers too, and you can find all about it in the All-ages Spider-Girl book, where she has her own adventures she has to keep secret from her dad!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You can add Sentry and Daredevil to the list of heroes who have mindwiped the world of their identities as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Guy Goodbody posted:

The smart thing to do would be to bring back the marriage and a kid, have Spiderman in his early thirties still being regular Spider-Man, oh but what's this, his ten year old daughter May has spider powers too, and you can find all about it in the All-ages Spider-Girl book, where she has her own adventures she has to keep secret from her dad!

Secret wars 5 where molecule man brings the renew your vows family to 616

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean thats Renew Your Vows but Peter somehow doesn't know his kid has powers

Covok
May 27, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's worth noting that in both "Renew Your Vows" and "Spider-Girl" Peter immediately figures out what is happening. However, in Spider-Girl, May does intentionally wear a different costume for a while and try to strike in shadows so her dad doesn't know she's still being a superhero.

It doesn't work long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The stupidest part of Spider-Man's deal with the devil was how they had to make up these reasons why Aunt May somehow couldn't be healed from just being shot by a regular gun. Like maybe say it was a magic gun or some kind of super special bullet or just anything other than she was shot and is old and this somehow combines in such a way that literally nobody can do anything about it other than the literal devil.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So, maybe Newspaper Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Covok posted:

It's worth noting that in both "Renew Your Vows" and "Spider-Girl" Peter immediately figures out what is happening. However, in Spider-Girl, May does intentionally wear a different costume for a while and try to strike in shadows so her dad doesn't know she's still being a superhero.

It doesn't work long.

Owned

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

The stupidest part of Spider-Man's deal with the devil was how they had to make up these reasons why Aunt May somehow couldn't be healed from just being shot by a regular gun. Like maybe say it was a magic gun or some kind of super special bullet or just anything other than she was shot and is old and this somehow combines in such a way that literally nobody can do anything about it other than the literal devil.

She is extremely old

Like, she could easily be "it's not safe to put her under general anesthesia" old. Like, if she wasn't shot but instead fell and broke her hip she'd be equally beyond help

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How much older than Peter's parents are Aunt May and Uncle Ben supposed to be?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
One More Day was very badly written and a terrible idea no matter what, that's the explanation for everything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Modern May is about 45 years older than Peter.

But she was drawn as like 75 from his debut.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

What was the in-universe justification for Reed and Strange mindwiping everyone?

They are both assholes.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
One More Day blows goats, the end.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hey, guys, girls, and others, are you ready for the Venom movie? Because...I'm not. And I'm one of those poor, unfortunate souls that legitimately liked Eddie Brock as Venom. Though, I mostly like it by viewing the Symbiote and Eddie as two co-dependent lovers in a toxic, mutually abusive relationship that neither can escape. Bonus points as its been confirmed that both of them are legitimately happier and more successful when they separate and seek their own careers.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm just surprised that is a real movie that is going to come out in movie theaters.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
There's also a Spawn movie in the works
And I'm surprised that I have more hope for both of those loving movie than I do for any DC movie project.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

And I'm surprised that I have more hope for both of those loving movie than I do for any DC movie project.

Say what you will about the first attempt at Spawn but visually it looked really good, FX-wise. That aspect will likely be just as good if not better. Whether it has a decent narrative...well, good luck with that, the source material ain't great.

That said, I think WW' 84 will be good. I like the idea of treating Diana not unlike Captain America.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Say what you will about the first attempt at Spawn but visually it looked really good, FX-wise.

I'm sorry, when's the last time you watched Spawn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH7Q2y9iKPU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Spawn the movie rips

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That said, I think WW' 84 will be good. I like the idea of treating Diana not unlike Captain America.

I'm baffled by the choice to make 1984-era Soviet Union the bad guys. That's a year before Glasnost and Perestroika, for crying out loud. Is she gonna foil a jeans smuggling operation?

Of course Wonder Woman treated WW1-era Germans as being basically proto-nazis, so historical accuracy isn't exactly a concern for the franchise, but still.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

David D. Davidson posted:

Directed by The Todd himself.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
And with a shoestring budget.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Exactly, this isn't just some comic movie riding Marvel's coattails, this is a goddamn passion project from the comic's creator himself. Good or bad the results should be interesting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent posted:

Directed by The Todd himself.

I had not heard this. Now I want to see it because it's going to be amazingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

As long as the creative crew are competent enough that it doesn't end up looking like a fan film, a low budget that forces them not to rely on CG would probably be best.

edit: They should watch Mandy for inspiration on making something stylishly hellish and action packed for no money :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 12, 2018

• Locked thread