Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The best Harley design was her design in The Brave and the Bold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Veronica no
https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/1041787521968099328

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

You just know that in the original artwork Randolph was wearing a fedora instead of a top hat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The actual date is even funnier.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Archie is basically a slice of life anime so it fits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Slice of life anime is the one ripping Archie off. Much like all anime is derivative of something better.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lurdiak posted:

Slice of life anime is the one ripping Archie off. Much like all anime is derivative of something better.

Yes, manga.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

That’s.....a hot take.

I will never get why Anime makes goons get so weirdly defensive.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s.....a hot take.

It really isn't. Archie was around ages before the first anime.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

It really isn't. Archie was around ages before the first anime.

I mean that it does it better....which is debatable at best. Same for all anime being inspired by better stuff which is I guess technically true as most stuff is inspired by something many would consider better. Including comics.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Archie will only be better if the girls start dating each other.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That goes for everything tho

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Symphogear is infinitely better than Archie

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak v Guy Goodbody cage match

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a54kiLtWio

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Can it really be slice of life at this point?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey Jewish goons. May you be inscribed in the book of Life and have an easy fast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

This looks amazing and I need to know more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

joehonkie posted:

Guess you'll have to find out by reading this #1 issue now

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

UNless that comic has a minor character with ninja powers which are never explained or even addressed, just whenever the plot calls for it dude busts out ninja powers and none of the other characters ever question it, Symphogear is still ahead

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

UNless that comic has a minor character with ninja powers which are never explained or even addressed, just whenever the plot calls for it dude busts out ninja powers and none of the other characters ever question it, Symphogear is still ahead

It's like trying to argue with a goat.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

joehonkie posted:

I am happy to oblige anybody's Archie questions!

Jughead is a deputized member of the Time Police, and unlike the other members of the force who use timepieces that must be manually activated, Jughead travels through time with his special beanie that activates with a thought (the beanie was given to him by a mysterious benefactor). However, one night, while doing an assignment on Chinese history for Ms. Grundy's class, Jughead falls asleep with his time beanie on, and sleepwalks into the kitchen of Kublai Khan the day he met Marco Polo. He--while asleep--eats the noodles being prepared by the chef, who runs away (he thinks Jughead is a ghost) and thus does not cook up a new helping of dinner for the guests. This results in Marco Polo never bringing noodles to Europe, which causes a ripple effect that caused Jughead to cease to exist--except because of his special beanie, he's protected from erasure until the timequake reaches the beanie's origin. From there, things just get more and more racist until they solve the problem by making him spaghetti.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Argue posted:

Jughead is a deputized member of the Time Police, and unlike the other members of the force who use timepieces that must be manually activated, Jughead travels through time with his special beanie that activates with a thought (the beanie was given to him by a mysterious benefactor). However, one night, while doing an assignment on Chinese history for Ms. Grundy's class, Jughead falls asleep with his time beanie on, and sleepwalks into the kitchen of Kublai Khan the day he met Marco Polo. He--while asleep--eats the noodles being prepared by the chef, who runs away (he thinks Jughead is a ghost) and thus does not cook up a new helping of dinner for the guests. This results in Marco Polo never bringing noodles to Europe, which causes a ripple effect that caused Jughead to cease to exist--except because of his special beanie, he's protected from erasure until the timequake reaches the beanie's origin. From there, things just get more and more racist until they solve the problem by making him spaghetti.

Now I have to read it.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I'm just offended there's no Time Police in the CGC census. Collectors have no taste!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Argue posted:

Also the girl on the cover is Archie Andrews' great great grand-daughter, and Jughead's true love, which, within the time police series, is the reason he has no interest in girls in his time.

Archie is kind of like Batman 66 in that I thought it was awesome as a kid, outgrew it as a teen and thought it was too stupid and campy, and now as an old fogey I think it's awesome again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sabrina's Aunt Hilda is their baby they had in the past.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

Archie is kind of like Batman 66 in that I thought it was awesome as a kid, outgrew it as a teen and thought it was too stupid and campy, and now as an old fogey I think it's awesome again.

Same, except I'm not understanding the middle part at all.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm genuinely unsure if this is real or a joke. And it works either way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Aunt Hildie is very clearly Jughead in a store bought witch costume and wig. Kinda wish they'd do that for the Netflix show.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Aunt Hildie is very clearly Jughead in a store bought witch costume and wig. Kinda wish they'd do that for the Netflix show.

the other sprouse twin IS available...

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Looks like the retailer thread is closed for archiving (?) so I might as well post in here that I wasn't surprised to get an e-mail saying DCBS are moving back to Indiana. The e-mail makes reference to service issues they've had while in Tennessee caused by failure to train/retain decent staff, which jives with my experience of shipments getting later and later since they moved. I was a monthly customer of theirs for years until I stopped ordering in April of this year because their service fell off so hard, and I got a final poke in the eye from them recently when the final shipment I was scheduled to get had a book cancelled, which should've resulted in me getting a refund, but instead they applied an almost $18 credit to a previous order that had an outstanding balance of about $0.19 (the price on a book apparently changed very slightly after I'd already paid) and told me they wouldn't refund the remainder unless I placed a future order and they could reapply the credit. Don't think I'll be going back.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Sorry, I forgot that we had a thread for that discussion and that we don't want discussion of that outside the thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm fine with that thread dying.

My former store is hosed if they reopen a brick and mortar store here.

Edit: They have already moved their operation back to town and are up and running. They don't have a date for their retail store yet but they are looking to be open by the holidays. I hit up my old boss and he went into full on panic mode.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 26, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've always been impressed we're able to support four or so comics stores which I always marvel (heh) at, even though it is admittedly a college town. Sadly the one I used to work at went under after a couple decades due to the owner wanting to focus on his own personal Golden/Silver Age back issue sales and letting a couple of people be managers who... shouldn't have been.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Norm Breyfogle died.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Norm Breyfogle died.

Dude was 58. I always assumed he was much older.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The stroke he suffered just destroyed him. I'm reading pro reactions and several people have said he has been in a living hell the last year.
What an absolute loss to this industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2007/01/batman-alan-grant-norm-breyfogle-speak.html

Good interview with him and Alan Grant from a decade ago, kinda sucks the way DC treated him though, had no idea about any of it.

• Locked thread